• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
C'mon, we're not gonna let a theory riddled with holes bring down the ENTIRE speculation scene are we? Let alone Dixie's? It's one thing to be concerned, but to sound the death knell is...honestly a bit silly.

Yes, we should hype responsibly, but getting so pessimistic when we have less than 2 months left will kill these threads. Dixie still has a lot going for her; the favorite Kong of Tropical Freeze, the last main/major character of the franchise, reasonably strong chance of being her own fighter, debuted in the best SNES DKC, and still relevant. She stands among Inkling and Isabelle (as well as potentially Ridley and Daisy) as picks from Smash Ultimate's era of focus. I always warn to keep hope in check, but don't let it wither either.

Just find the right balance of excitement, because Dixie is someone to be excited about, especially if she goes the same route as Isabelle.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Whatever happens with the base game there will be DLC. A lot of perhaps, if they commit to the model Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct use and release characters in seasons over the course of as many years as it makes sense. Hell, if we get Dixie as DLC she'll be less likely to be an echo even, so that'd be cool.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Just woke up from a dream where there was a nintendo direct where a new DK game announced, the main villain was bowser and in addition to the tropical freeze kongs you could play as tiny who could throw bananas as her main form of attack and for some reason the koopalings, wendy was also a dixie clone for some reason.

Also Isaac and Decidueye got announced for smash but the video wouldn't load so I only ever got to see the thumbnail lol. Isaac was apparently an ike semi-clone.

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
I'm sure that like me, many of you spend your time watching and reading speculation posts and "leaks" about smash ultimate. I came across one last night that listed Dixie as an assist trophy and my heart sank into my stomach. I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes but that would absolutlely kill my hype for this game. Now I know how all the people felt about their characters becoming AT's, and I gotta admit I feel more sympathy towards them.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Dixie won't be a assist trophy. Relax.

Usually Sakurai doesn't screw up so hard about it and let assist trophies for characters that he really doesn't want to implement for some reason (I can see lack of interesting moveset with Bomberman and Shovel Knight, considering what already is used at Rivals of Aether) or are low priority for this entry. I think that if Daisy was not chosen, Waluigi would not appear as a AT at all.

I also think that (IMO unfornately) Waluigi will end up making the cut with DLC. At previous games there was not a single Dk assist trophy and there are much better options that would not hurt the fanbase to chose from.
First of all, Rambi. There is also Wrinkly, Candy, Squawks, Kiddy, and 64 stuff.
Personally I'd love to see Kiddy returning after so many years as an a AT.

Now Dixie ? First of all why would they pick her now and not in Brawl or Smash 4? Everything she could do was already done by an Assist trophy before. Float with his hair at the stage like at lot of them already cross the screen? Grab with the hair and throw like Midna? Play guitar as Barbara already did?

Dixie may not appear in Super Smash Bros Ultimate base game. But Isabelle showed that if the character can't be good enough represented as an echo, it turns out a semi-clone/unique.
The unique moves until now that she shares with Villager is Pocket, Bury stuff with Down b, ballons with up B and the Final Smash. Even the SideB is completely different. For me it's now clear that Dixie won't be Diddy with Dk UpB

Last edited:

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Or, put more shortly, there won’t be two DK ATs. Esp when they got DLC to think about.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
C'mon, we're not gonna let a theory riddled with holes bring down the ENTIRE speculation scene are we? Let alone Dixie's? It's one thing to be concerned, but to sound the death knell is...honestly a bit silly.

Yes, we should hype responsibly, but getting so pessimistic when we have less than 2 months left will kill these threads. Dixie still has a lot going for her; the favorite Kong of Tropical Freeze, the last main/major character of the franchise, reasonably strong chance of being her own fighter, debuted in the best SNES DKC, and still relevant. She stands among Inkling and Isabelle (as well as potentially Ridley and Daisy) as picks from Smash Ultimate's era of focus. I always warn to keep hope in check, but don't let it wither either.

Just find the right balance of excitement, because Dixie is someone to be excited about, especially if she goes the same route as Isabelle.
Dixie as a semi-clone will easily make her one of my most used characters. I'll keep practicing Diddy more, but it wouldn't hurt at all to have Dixie amongst this as a alternative, maybe for certain matchups or what not. That's why I wouldn't object them being too similar, but in the meanwhile it would hurt Dixie's image as a character and I don't want that either. Semi-clone-Isabelle-styled Dixie Kong will be my 3rd used character easily. Only the OG Kongs would top her, and that's something not even King K.Rool could do. :ultdk::ultdiddy:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
https://youtu.be/Df9WuSqziSk
It's a new video from commonwealth realm, he doesn't think dk will get a new stage...but I can't believe that Nintendo or Sakurai would ignore tropical freeze, that's such a good game!! It's the latest dk game and it was ignored/or couldn't be considered for smash 4 (even though Yoshi's wooly world got a stage and that game came out after tropical freeze...#sakuraihatesDK), I really hope they won't ignore it for ultimate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
https://youtu.be/Df9WuSqziSk
It's a new video from commonwealth realm, he doesn't think dk will get a new stage...but I can't believe that Nintendo or Sakurai would ignore tropical freeze, that's such a good game!! It's the latest dk game and it was ignored/or couldn't be considered for smash 4 (even though Yoshi's wooly world got a stage and that game came out after tropical freeze...#sakuraihatesDK), I really hope they won't ignore it for ultimate.
If even Jungle Beat managed to get a stage, Tropical Freeze shouldn't be skipped over. It just wouldn't make much sense.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
If even Jungle Beat managed to get a stage, Tropical Freeze shouldn't be skipped over. It just wouldn't make much sense.
That's what I think too. But seeing how Sakurai ignored the dk series all the years, I wouldn't be surprised if he now skips the game completely. That really would be a shocker

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's what I think too. But seeing how Sakurai ignored the dk series all the years, I wouldn't be surprised if he now skips the game completely. That really would be a shocker
In a way, it's only logical when he doesn't add Dixie. Because Dixie would be more of a "recent" addition than King K.Rool. And with King K.Rool alone, he can glamor to the old skool DKC stages and just call it a day, because it would fit in the same trend of of the characters. Because most of the older DKC stages are only based on DKC1, if only loosely like with the Kongo Jungle GCN stage for example. And DK, Diddy and K.Rool are basically the main cast of DKC1...

It sucks, I know. But it would still fit.

Besides, if Sakurai does a whole new round of DLC again for Ultimate, I think he would set up yet another ballot yet again.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Any ideas for Dixie's tagline in a potential reveal? Simon "Lashes Out!" and Isabelle "Turns Over a New Leaf", so what could Dixie have?

Smashified "Gives it a Whirl" which is cool and I like that. Personally I always thought "Whips up Trouble" would be great as well. What would y'all come up with for her?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Any ideas for Dixie's tagline in a potential reveal? Simon "Lashes Out!" and Isabelle "Turns Over a New Leaf", so what could Dixie have?

Smashified "Gives it a Whirl" which is cool and I like that. Personally I always thought "Whips up Trouble" would be great as well. What would y'all come up with for her?
I was thinking of like "Dixie Kong swings into action!!" was one of the titles I thought of a while ago.
In a way, it's only logical when he doesn't add Dixie. Because Dixie would be more of a "recent" addition than King K.Rool. And with King K.Rool alone, he can glamor to the old skool DKC stages and just call it a day, because it would fit in the same trend of of the characters. Because most of the older DKC stages are only based on DKC1, if only loosely like with the Kongo Jungle GCN stage for example. And DK, Diddy and K.Rool are basically the main cast of DKC1...

It sucks, I know. But it would still fit.

Besides, if Sakurai does a whole new round of DLC again for Ultimate, I think he would set up yet another ballot yet again.
Kind of a shame if Tropical Freeze gets ignored considering well it received especially on the Switch, I don't wanna seem too critical but I do believe that the dev team should consider adding more Dk content instead of treating it like a second Mario branch(though Yoshi and Wario get it a little worse) I don't wanna believe that they hate the series(like many people claim) but it does feel like they may not show much interest in it possibly.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
All above are pretty nice already, hahah - I thought something like "Dixie Drifts Into A Fight!" as one more wild-cardy one - or "Dixie Spins Things Up!".

I think the current suggested ones might be close of what we're gonna get, they just make so much sense. :laugh:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We're really putting All-Star in the title eh? I kind of hate that word being thrown around. It has a really vague definition and it's easy to bend to you needs.

I love Dixie but how would you define her as the "Last Nintendo All-Star"? I kind of feel like there are still lots of Nintendo character on par with her. It's difficult to assign points to a character's resume and be like: "Well she starred in her own game so that means she's more important than Waluigi!" and then Waluigi fans would say: "But Waluigi is in tons and tons of games and is probably more popular and recognized by people than she is!"

Then you bicker back and forth on what it means more to Nintendo, but the truth is neither of you know.

I just used Waluigi as a random example. I have no opinion on him. But I just wanted to demonstrate we are at the point where Nintendo's obvious big icons are gone. I'd argue they were mostly gone in Brawl. And we are now left with semi-iconic, semi-popular, and semi-successful picks. And yes that is Dixie. There is no shame in admitting that. I am a huge Dixie fan but I acknowledge that the average person probably doesn't know who she is or just assumes she's "Girl Diddy". Being iconic means normal non-gamers can recognize you to some degree. You can't be absent from from your own series too often. And there's relatively a lot of merch dedicated to you.

Does Dixie fit that bill? I don't know. All I know is be careful flinging the word "All-Star" around.

Machete

Smash Ace
"Dixie Kong is finally here, performing for you"

We're really putting All-Star in the title eh? I kind of hate that word being thrown around. It has a really vague definition and it's easy to bend to you needs.

I love Dixie but how would you define her as the "Last Nintendo All-Star"? I kind of feel like there are still lots of Nintendo character on par with her. It's difficult to assign points to a character's resume and be like: "Well she starred in her own game so that means she's more important than Waluigi!" and then Waluigi fans would say: "But Waluigi is in tons and tons of games and is probably more popular and recognized by people than she is!"

Then you bicker back and forth on what it means more to Nintendo, but the truth is neither of you know.

I just used Waluigi as a random example. I have no opinion on him. But I just wanted to demonstrate we are at the point where Nintendo's obvious big icons are gone. I'd argue they were mostly gone in Brawl. And we are now left with semi-iconic, semi-popular, and semi-successful picks. And yes that is Dixie. There is no shame in admitting that. I am a huge Dixie fan but I acknowledge that the average person probably doesn't know who she is or just assumes she's "Girl Diddy". Being iconic means normal non-gamers can recognize you to some degree. You can't be absent from from your own series too often. And there's relatively a lot of merch dedicated to you.

Does Dixie fit that bill? I don't know. All I know is be careful flinging the word "All-Star" around.
Dixie Kong was Nintendo's second leading female in an action role, co-star of one of the most acclaimed platformers of all time, and most importantly, one of the highest selling SNES games of all time had her name on it, and she was the star.

I think one could argue if Dixie Kong is an All-Star nowadays. But she definitely WAS one, and a game celebrating Nintendo's history should respect that.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
at this point "all-star" is just a thing people say. im not even 100% sure what its supposed to mean but i dont think its that big a deal

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One of the most acclaimed? I'm pretty sure DKC3 did the worst out of all the DKC games. Sure, it was in the top 10 best selling SNES games. But that was one game she ever had. And historically speaking, whenever someone talks about the DKC series, that one is often forgotten or even hated. Even back then, she still wasn't as celebrated as the likes of all the other Nintendo big names. I sometimes wonder if DKC3 sold as well as it did simply because it was a DKC game.

As for being a female lead? That probably doesn't mean squat to Nintendo.

I'm not saying she's a nobody, I'm just saying she wasn't this big celebrated icon like you think she was. NOA made ads that purposely downplayed Dixie and uplayed Kiddie.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Dixie is playable and a co-lead in one of the best side scrollers of all time. She absolutely deserves to be in the game.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
at this point "all-star" is just a thing people say. im not even 100% sure what its supposed to mean but i dont think its that big a deal
The term "All-Star" may vary in definition depending on who you ask, so I can't speak for everyone. With that said, an "All-Star" in my opinion represents an important or major character that has been a huge part throughout Nintendo's history. As an example, characters like Mario, Link, Inkling, Pikachu, Kirby, and Samus could be considered for their iconicness and importance to gaming as a whole. Other characters like Sheik, Greninja, Dark Samus, Jigglypuff, Palutena, and Corrin could still be considered as popular characters, but their importance to Nintendo pales in comparison to some other characters featured in Smash.

Dixie Kong may be considered by some people as the "last Nintendo all-star" mostly because she was a major playable character in DKC2, DKC3, and DKC Tropical Freeze. The Donkey Kong Country games are among Nintendo's highest selling games of all-time, and Dixie Kong is one of the three main protagonists of the series, next to Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. When you look at other potential choices that are popular right now, like Geno and Isaac, they lack that same recognizable factor that Dixie Kong has. Not everyone has seen Isaac or Golden Sun before, and likewise with Geno and Super Mario RPG. Not everyone has seen Dixie Kong before either, but it would be really hard to ignore her if you have a passing interest in the Donkey Kong games. If you've heard people talk about some of the greatest platformers of all time, DKC2 may be brought up, and it would be easy to learn of Dixie Kong through that. She is also in Tropical Freeze, which means that people looking into buying a Switch may just naturally come across her when looking for what games to buy.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me, this is all just my opinion. I do think there is some merit to the idea of "Nintendo All-Stars", since many of Nintendo's most famous and important protagonists are playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It would be a shame to have characters playable like Peach and Samus but not Dixie Kong, she is just as important to Nintendo as they are in my opinion. Dixie is also more important than other female characters already playable in the roster, like Palutena, Corrin, and Rosalina. Dixie Kong has always been a staple of Nintendo ever since the SNES days, I say that she's one of the few characters left that deserves to be an "all-star". I hope Dixie gets added as a playable fighter to Smash Ultimate, I feel like she truly deserves it.

Machete

Smash Ace
Don't wanna jump in for Machete, but I believe they were referring to DKC2.
Yeah. Co-star of DKC2, and star of her own game, DKC3.

And I mean, I know, opinions and all, but I'd consider a popular character, with many appearances, who is unequivocally the lead of a big, succesful videogame to be an all-star in this context. Dixie was the star of DKC3, which might be a ""controversial"" game but a very succesful one nonetheless, and the co-star of DKC2, which was both beloved and extremely succesful. I don't know how she could be left out of an "all-star" definition without narrowing down the roster by a massive amount.

Donkey Kong characters are in kind of an odd situation in that the Rare deal killed their momentum, but ignoring how important and recognizable they used to be would be wrong, in my opinion. And I think the important part is that Sakurai seems to think similarly. Even though everyone was doubting K.Rool for being a "dead, irrelevant character", his trailer pointed out his absence without downplaying his importance, and Sakurai's column in Famitsu didn't refer to him as an abandoned or forgotten character, which is how a large part of the fandom seemed to think of him. K.Rool in Smash Ultimate has been treated as a big, main, important villain, which is what he is if we consider Nintendo's history as a whole and not just the recent years. In that same context, Dixie Kong is a recurring, starring, succesful character, which I believe should be enough to count her as an All-Star.

Yeah, if you mean right now, in 2018, I can totally understand not wanting to label her as such, because yeah she is indeed not starring in any games right now. But the point is Dixie Kong was such a character at one point, and Ultimate has brought Dark Samus, Simon Belmont and K.Rool, so I think it's fair to say that the newcomer's legacy is taken into consideration this time.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Yeah today Dixie might not be considered an All-star by some, but for me personally, she is. Dixie, Diddy and K.rool should have been in melee already as the dk series was very big at that time. Sakurai ignored the DK series in it's prime and now that the DK series is not that popular as it used to be, people assume it's enough to have Diddy and Donkey only in smash. Nintendo messed up regarding the dk series after the rare buyout but they can't ignore the fact that the dk series is their number 4 in terms of sales and this is impressive because the dk doesn't get games that frequently and got only two mainline games since 2010 after a long hiatus starting from 1999.
Waluigi will never be a playable character in smash, only characters that are very important or playable to/in their series become playable characters in smash. That's why Dixie fits perfectly. Waluigi was only created to be warios partner in spin off games, so he yes he starred in more games than Dixie because we get mario spin offs frequently and because of that and the huge amount of copies spin offs like mario kart sell he is of course better known. But there are also characters like boo, birdo, koopa, shy guy and many others that appear in the same games as waluigi, should they also be playable in smash?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well to me, true All-Star stands the test of time. Is consistantly a part of the games they are in, and is recognizable by most people. I wonder if even back in the 90s regular people knew who Dixie was. She was brand new at that time which makes her a Break-Out Star in my opinion. But you need to be around for quite some time and appear in quite a few games before you are an All-Star. That is how I see it.

I would say that she is historically important and that she is the next most important DK character in the series. And she has a dedicated following, but I don't know if All-Star works.

Oh! And Geno certainly is NOT an All-Star. Sure, he has a dedicated following. But he is not an All-Star. Dixie is much closer to being an All-Star than he is.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Dixie Swirls In?

Something like that will do.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Came up with this trailer idea for the ultimate discussion thread and obviously seemed necessary to post here

So it's set in King K Rool's lair, he has DK and Diddy tied up and he's preparing to launch the blastomatic, he pulls out a remote and is about to press the launch button while DK and Diddy watch on in terror... when suddenly a blonde ponytail comes out of nowhere and snatches the remote away. K Rool, DK and Diddy all look around in confusion until the ponytail manages to pick up K Rool and launches him away, DK and Diddy continue to look around in confusion before they see a figure standing on K Rool's seat nonchalantly fixing her hair...

"Dixie Kong comes to the rescue!"

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
But there are also characters like boo, birdo, koopa, shy guy and many others that appear in the same games as waluigi, should they also be playable in smash?
For a specific Boo (King Boo), there could be an argument because he is the main villain in Luigi’s mansion, which technically isn’t a spin-off in the sense that it is a mainline Luigi series, so King Boo could be revealed as a dlc character when the new game is released as promotion. Another argument could potentially be made for koopa troopa considering he is a legacy villain, appearing in every mario game that isn’t Mario Sunshine (but that’s irrelevant). He even shows up in all the spin-offs and yet he is ignored for being a basic enemy, even though he’s been in every smash except the original with more important of a role than Waluigi.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Came up with this trailer idea for the ultimate discussion thread and obviously seemed necessary to post here

So it's set in King K Rool's lair, he has DK and Diddy tied up and he's preparing to launch the blastomatic, he pulls out a remote and is about to press the launch button while DK and Diddy watch on in terror... when suddenly a blonde ponytail comes out of nowhere and snatches the remote away. K Rool, DK and Diddy all look around in confusion until the ponytail manages to pick up K Rool and launches him away, DK and Diddy continue to look around in confusion before they see a figure standing on K Rool's seat nonchalantly fixing her hair...

"Dixie Kong comes to the rescue!"
Rather than snatch the remote away, how about she shoots bubblegum at K. Rool's hand?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Even though I'm late to the party but I do feel Dixie is a Nintendo "All-Star" yes she was bigger in the 90's than she is today but Nintendo used her to promote the HELL out of Tropical Freeze on the Wii U. Even when Rare was bought by Microsoft she was one of the few characters created by Rare that still got decent roles in games outside of DK and Diddy. Dixie was playable in Konga 2, Konga 3, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Super Sluggers, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, was in both DK: King of Swing and Jungle Climber. Not to mention the GBA ports/remakes of DKC 2 and DKC 3. So during the GCN/GBA/Wii/DS era Dixie was still kicking around pretty promptly. Dixie is also the only DK character outside of Donkey and Diddy to have recent merch based on her. They sell Dixie plushies in Japan and Dixie and Cranky recently (well 2014) got World of Nintendo figures based on them. She may not be to the level of Mario, Donkey, Diddy, Pikachu, Isabelle, Samus, etc. But she's definitely around them in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom