• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I can't get enough of that GPG remix. I'm glad they put ACE in charge of it. They also did the music for the Xenoblade series, and they pulled this off spectacularly. Those trumpets and that chorus, though.

EDIT: Holding out for a good remix of Crocodile Cacophony, Mining Melancholy, and Krook's March, no matter how unlikely that may be.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So I noticed Diddy had a Kiddy Kong costume in 4, has it been seen yet? Obviously a Dixie/Kiddy pair up would 99% not happen, but considering Dixie was supposed to pair up in Brawl, plus Sakurai might be realizing there's been a severe lack of DK representation..

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Ummm for the Gang-Plank Galleon remix we need to go ahead and make a rule that if a DK stage is tourney legal and this song plays on stream commentators ARE NOT ALLOWED to talk over the La La La La La La La La La part. They are more than welcome to sing along to it tho.

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
I could have sworn I'd already done this earlier but apparently not. Sign me up as a Dixie supporter! She's in my top 3 most wanted and her omittance from the Smash roster so far is baffling to say the least.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I liked it too, but compared to brawl you have to admit it wasn't on the same level.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
It really saddens me how Dixie is given the Echo tag (+DK's Up-B, so it works!!!) all the time by everyone. Reminds me a bit of the false information of Diddy losing his tail jab: once it starts it spreads like fire. I've loved her since playing the original DKC games when I was a child, and been wanting her in since Melee if I recall correctly. I've never seen her as a clone/Echo; I've always imagined her fighting with her hair, as if it were a sword that you can also use to grab, lift and glide.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So I’ve been wondering, is it possible Lanky Kong perform better than Cranky and Funk Kong in the ballot? Because if there’s a big DLC season..

From the Ultimate thread. It would be sweet to have additional DK characters in the DLC season after we get Rool and Dixie in the base game, we got to keep supporting the DK series!!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It really saddens me how Dixie is given the Echo tag (+DK's Up-B, so it works!!!) all the time by everyone. Reminds me a bit of the false information of Diddy losing his tail jab: once it starts it spreads like fire. I've loved her since playing the original DKC games when I was a child, and been wanting her in since Melee if I recall correctly. I've never seen her as a clone/Echo; I've always imagined her fighting with her hair, as if it were a sword that you can also use to grab, lift and glide.
As bad as it is right now, I can't possibly imagine how it would be when Tiny becomes a possibility for people.
"Let's ignore her pinwheel and sliding kicks even though they make sense"
"Feather crossbow works like the Bubblegum Blaster and Peanut Popgun"
"Pony Tail Twirl is Spinning Kong 3.0"

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Shoot, I didn’t think of that! Come to think of it, I don’t think any DK character could be an echo. (Besides maybe Kiddy Kong?)
Also looking back, Dixie is the character tied with Rool as most trophy appearances, in Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U. Next up is Funky Kong, who had trophies in Brawl, 3DS, and Wii U. I’m surprised, perhaps I’ve been too low on Funky’s chances.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Oh, so much. On one hand, it's nice to see so many people supporting Dixie. On the other hand, every time someone says they'd like to see her as a Diddy echo (with maybe one or two attacks changed), it hurts me a little.

Dixie has the relevance, merit, and potential to get in as a full newcomer.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
In other news... i wonder how much an echo could diverge of the original fighter before being considered a whole new character...

I mean, IMO if dixie was a diddy echo but with 3 major differences:
Donkey Knog Up B with different animation.
Ness/Mewtwo double jump with unique animation.
Donkey Kong Cargo grab with unique animations.

Dixie would be perfect... but maybe these3 differences (plus some nerfs for balance considering how stuff like donkey kong grab is better than diddy grab) would make her a little too unique to be an echo?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i could see the developers possibly planning to make dixie an echo but realizing they could do more with her and upgrade her to a new fighter who is more of a semi-clone. they sorta did that with smash 4, since dr. mario, dark pit, and lucina were originally going to be alt costumes but were changed to be separate characters.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
In other news... i wonder how much an echo could diverge of the original fighter before being considered a whole new character...

I mean, IMO if dixie was a diddy echo but with 3 major differences:
Donkey Knog Up B with different animation.
Ness/Mewtwo double jump with unique animation.
Donkey Kong Cargo grab with unique animations.

Dixie would be perfect... but maybe these3 differences (plus some nerfs for balance considering how stuff like donkey kong grab is better than diddy grab) would make her a little too unique to be an echo?
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35s8Sqyj3BI&t=419s&frags=pl,wn

Remove the the things you mentioned and this is what she'd look like more or less. I'd rather play as Diddy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dark Samus and Chrom have soothed my worries that echoes won't seem different enough from their bases. I'd prefer a semi-clone, but if it was this or she isn't in the game at all (I'm not sure she would be DLC here if she wasn't for Smash 4), I know which one I would pick.

Our speculation and hopes/desires aren't going to change what's in the base game, at the end of the day. Dixie's fate has already been decided.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
i could see the developers possibly planning to make dixie an echo but realizing they could do more with her and upgrade her to a new fighter who is more of a semi-clone. they sorta did that with smash 4, since dr. mario, dark pit, and lucina were originally going to be alt costumes but were changed to be separate characters.
I feel like even if this was the case, they'd still label her an Echo fighter... since, well, an Echo fighter isn't really well defined. Looking at Chrom, an Echo can be a semi-clone, easily. And so I believe Dixie can still qualify for Echo even if she has a handful of original moves. I just doubt she'll get a cinematic cutscene trailer.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yeah but as far as we know chrom is literally just roy with one different move and final smash. none of the echo fighters we've seen so far stray as far away from their counterparts that characters like falco or luigi do, let alone have any differences in their stats like speed or weight.

maybe i'm being overly conservative but until i see an echo fighter that breaks the convention to this degree, then i'm not inclined to think that they can.

regardless, i'd still be thrilled to have her even as an echo, i just think she could be better represented as something else

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
yeah but as far as we know chrom is literally just roy with one different move and final smash. none of the echo fighters we've seen so far stray as far away from their counterparts that characters like falco or luigi do, let alone have any differences in their stats like speed or weight.

maybe i'm being overly conservative but until i see an echo fighter that breaks the convention to this degree, then i'm not inclined to think that they can.

regardless, i'd still be thrilled to have her even as an echo, i just think she could be better represented as something else
This exactly. Chrom is still a full Echo, if only with a different Up-B. Cannot be really be compared to characters like Lucas or Falco.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh, so much. On one hand, it's nice to see so many people supporting Dixie. On the other hand, every time someone says they'd like to see her as a Diddy echo (with maybe one or two attacks changed), it hurts me a little.

Dixie has the relevance, merit, and potential to get in as a full newcomer.
The Echo fighter conundrum is simple: the path of least resistance. Which possibility for inclusion offers the least resistance to Dixie? An Echo of Diddy. People hoping for an Echo is merely their inner pessimist keeping them cautious, reminding them that being able to be an easy Diddy Echo decreases the obstacles in Dixie's path.

I don't think anyone actually WANTS her to be Echo. They just see Echo potential as an inherit advantage in a game with fierce competition for a roster space. She deserves to be unique, by all means. But she hasn't made it into Smash thus far despite her importance. And given a choice between Echo or nothing, most will take Echo.

No worries, we all want her to be unique. Everyone does. But it also makes sense that many people are bracing for the impact of an Echo Dixie rather than a unique one. If we set our expectations too high, we may not appreciate that she's here at all.

Everyone in the Chrom and Daisy threads was ready for a cloned Chrom and Daisy, and when it happened, no one was unhappy that they were Echoes; they were just ecstatic that they got in at all. It's all about relativity. We will enjoy Dixie even more if we are prepared to accept her inclusion in any form that it comes in. If all bank on her being unique too much, and she gets in as an Echo, everyone will feel a little disappointed, when they should be excited. Prepare for the lesser option, and the better one becomes all the sweeter. It makes sense.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
The Echo fighter conundrum is simple: the path of least resistance. Which possibility for inclusion offers the least resistance to Dixie? An Echo of Diddy. People hoping for an Echo is merely their inner pessimist keeping them cautious, reminding them that being able to be an easy Diddy Echo decreases the obstacles in Dixie's path.

I don't think anyone actually WANTS her to be Echo. They just see Echo potential as an inherit advantage in a game with fierce competition for a roster space. She deserves to be unique, by all means. But she hasn't made it into Smash thus far despite her importance. And given a choice between Echo or nothing, most will take Echo.

No worries, we all want her to be unique. Everyone does. But it also makes sense that many people are bracing for the impact of an Echo Dixie rather than a unique one. If we set our expectations too high, we may not appreciate that she's here at all.
Well we get what we wish for. If fan demand brought back K. Rool, fan demand could make Dixie an Echo. This is the reason I've been trying to stay positive and promoting her as unique.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well we get what we wish for. If fan demand brought back K. Rool, fan demand could make Dixie an Echo. This is the reason I've been trying to stay positive and promoting her as unique.
But she's already decided on for the base game. I suspect if she isn't in, DLC fan campaigns will push for a semi-clone/unique fighter mostly.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's doubtful Sakurai would ever think we WANT a character as an Echo. We've been complaining about clones for 17 years.

The only reason we embrace Echoes is because of a handful of reasons, like an increase in maturity among the average long-time smash fan, the catharsis that comes with the label, the fact all veterans have returned etc. No one prefers clones of any kind, we've just all grown to accept them more, so long as it does the character justice (looking at you Ganondorf).

Sakurai would never be sitting in his office, talking with his designers about how to make a unique Dixie, and then have a PR guy come in and say "it seems people on the internet are discussing Dixie as a clone", with which he'd respond by telling everyone to scrap their ideas and start altering Diddy's model. If she is to be unique or an Echo, it has already been decided based off of development time, deadlines, budget, priorities etc.

As StormC StormC has said, her fate has already been decided in the base game now anyway.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
ok..don't get me wrong.

when i try to put some ECHO MOVE to Dixie...it's not beause i want her to be ECHO it's because
i want her so much that i will glady take her as an echo character than nothing and at this point im sure she will be a echo or if she is UNIQUE...she will be (if we got dlc) a nice DLC.

Maybe..MAYBE sakurai will show Dixie as a semi-echo / semi-clone but won't get a reveal trailer.... but Dixie as a unique character when sakurai said that they wont be too many newcomer it's just not believable.

We want her Unique as much as you

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Changing the Peanut to Bubble gun would not change the properties of the actual move, just the visual of it. Looking at Daisey, that is ok since she has more "flower" effects opposed to Peach's heart effects.
There is nothing wrong with changing a moves properties for Echo characters though. Dark Pit has a very different side B with different properties to Pit's. I can see the gumballs bouncing and going farther with less charge than the peanuts.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I really don't want Dixie to be an Echo. I've been reading some reddit threads to see what people elsewhere think about her situation and honestly the Echo consensus is mixed. The discussions there are similar to the ones here; it's good that she's not assumed to be one as much as Ken from Street Fighter (which makes sense) but damn, I'm worried about how Sakurai and his team approached her concept.

I fear the general assumption and those Diddy mods convinced the team that it was the way to go, but I HOPE they saw stuff like VT's moveset and are attached to her enough from the games to make her be her own fighter. I wouldn't have bothered making a moveset and defending her from clone assumptions if she genuinely didn't have potential. I thought her hair abilities were cool and you could do a lot with it in a fighting game. It would be a missed opportunity if that's how she turns out.

I'm still gonna buy the game though, but I likely won't play as her. Not out of malice or spite but because Diddy's already my main, I don't need another Diddy with girly mannerisms. That's good for the people who do take a shine to Echo Dixie; no bitterness from me, but I'll be doing me and y'all can do you.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I really don't want Dixie to be an Echo. I've been reading some reddit threads to see what people elsewhere think about her situation and honestly the Echo consensus is mixed. The discussions there are similar to the ones here; it's good that she's not assumed to be one as much as Ken from Street Fighter (which makes sense) but damn, I'm worried about how Sakurai and his team approached her concept.

I fear the general assumption and those Diddy mods convinced the team that it was the way to go, but I HOPE they saw stuff like VT's moveset and are attached to her enough from the games to make her be her own fighter. I wouldn't have bothered making a moveset and defending her from clone assumptions if she genuinely didn't have potential. I thought her hair abilities were cool and you could do a lot with it in a fighting game. It would be a missed opportunity if that's how she turns out.

I'm still gonna buy the game though, but I likely won't play as her. Not out of malice or spite but because Diddy's already my main, I don't need another Diddy with girly mannerisms. That's good for the people who do take a shine to Echo Dixie; no bitterness from me, but I'll be doing me and y'all can do you.
I can agree with this. A spot-on Diddy clone would be a big turn off for the character since it would defeat all of her individuality. I expect at least a Falco-style semi-clone, ideally a Wolf-style one.

It's just tough because where do we draw the line between being realistic and being defeatist. Where is the line between expectation and anticipation? That's the real issue that we're debating on here, and I can see both sides.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It depends on how Echoes are approached due to the "Chrom" factor. He has a different Up-B, so that is the "special difference." People are also thinking that his Side-B is like Marth's since it is fast. However, we have not seen Roy in any videos showcasing his Side-B ... it may have been sped up, which makes Chrom only having his Up-B different.

So if that is the "rule" by Sakurai, then that would be too many changes. Again, this is all an assumption and we do not exactly the "rules" for Echo fighters since we have characters like Falco, even arguably now Toon Link and Young Link. Time will tell.

As for Dixie, I would prefer her to be maybe more like a Semi-Clone in the likes of Luigi and Star Wolf. It also depends on Sakurai's focus for the roster and which ones to make them as Echoes, Semi-s, or new.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I do apologize for the double post, but something struck me when watching the K. Rool video. Specifically, the last in-game scene where K. Rool gets big and stomps DK and Diddy into the ground. It feels like a set up for a future direct ... in which Dixie comes in to assist them.

I wonder am I alone on this or have others thought this too? There is a reason why the video ended that way ... Asides letting K. Rool "win" the battle to bolster his inclusion to the game.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Out of the few characters I want (that are in my sig) Dixie is who I desire the most (since K.Rool and Ridley have been confirmed). But while Metroid got 2 new reps this game, I have a fear that Dixie might not make it past trophy again...Sakurai has stepped up his DK support this game but I fear we may not get her even as an echo. If she doesn't make it at all, I can't really be THAT disappointed since I got the Kremling King back and that's been my most wanted character for 17 years since Melee. But even through all the K.Rool speculation I always felt K.Rool and Dixie should've came as a "double pack/feature".

That K.Rool trailer while HYPE asf, would've been even better had after K.Rool and DK had there giant punch clash the cutscene continues shows the Kongs defeated on the ground with K.Rool laughing and all of a sudden you see gumballs hitting K.Rool and show Dixie on top of a mountain flying down it then shows her splash screen "Dixie hairwhips the competition" (yes it sucks but I couldn't think of anything else) then we get a gameplay montage of Dixie and at the end of the trailer we see Dixie, DK, and Diddy celebrating then cut to the K.Rool fakeout again but it's all 3 Kongs stomped into the ground with K.Rool's taunt.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
As I said before, an echo could be whatever Sakurai wants. Mostly, not so-veteran clones. We use to think that echos were a carbon-copy of a character, like Lucina, then Chrom appeared.
With all this echo overdose and the fanservice for requested enough characters, Dixie seems possible in the picture as a 'copy'. Just fits. Some similarities with Diddy are reasonable. And not only about moveset.
BUT.
Still we don't know if there's room for semi-echoes or something like that, we didn't see something new like Luigi but still labeled as echo, maybe it could be the next stop. That kind of characters are possible in a game with limited time and space as Ultimate. And still we don't see a echo in action properly for spotting the differences and how big are. Echoes are playing a role in the roster and they don't seem like something added in the last minutes.
But personally, I don't see her as a unique fighter, it would be a big surprise for me. I'm just hoping at least something like Chrom, I want her in Smash, no matter how. Keeping the dreams lower, lesser dissapointment.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I do apologize for the double post, but something struck me when watching the K. Rool video. Specifically, the last in-game scene where K. Rool gets big and stomps DK and Diddy into the ground. It feels like a set up for a future direct ... in which Dixie comes in to assist them.

I wonder am I alone on this or have others thought this too? There is a reason why the video ended that way ... Asides letting K. Rool "win" the battle to bolster his inclusion to the game.
It's been commonly speculated, but I personally don't put a lot of stock in it. Trailers never "continue" after another one.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
They have not, which I agree with.

Knowing Sakurai, he always does something for a reason. The video could have easily just ended with the shock-wave and would have been a glorious conclusion for the trailer. I have a feeling he did that for a reason for a set up.

StormC

Smash Hero
They have not, which I agree with.

Knowing Sakurai, he always does something for a reason. The video could have easily just ended with the shock-wave and would have been a glorious conclusion for the trailer. I have a feeling he did that for a reason for a set up.
Most of the trailers have a little clip at the end after the Smash logo. Ridley's ended with Zero Suit Samus launching into battle for a rematch.

It's more likely just a nod to the "playing dead" joke, since it shows his crouching animation. I think people read a bit too much into Sakurai's actions.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I agree that the K Rool trailer is likely not setting up anything else in particular. The nature of the trailer does nothing to suggest anything about Dixie.

What does actual seem to work in Dixie's favor is that Tropical Freeze has been completely absent thus far in all footage they've shown despite being a main entry in one of Nintendo's main IPs that has been released twice since the last Smash game, has sold over 3 millions copies, and is one of the only heavy-hitting Nintendo games to have come out in the last few years. For it to be absent from this game would be truly bizarre and hard to comprehend.

But for it to be reserved for footage in a later direct with a stage of some sort alongside a Dixie reveal, well that makes perfect sense. The DKC medley they just released is just icing on the cake in her favor, although I haven't had time to listen to it. Did it include any DKC3 music? If so, that's a huge point in Dixie's favor, seeing as how shes the game's lead protagonist.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think the most bumming thing about Dixie becoming an Echo would be that she wouldn't receive a glorious trailer like K.Rool did.

Instead they'd drop her in just like this:

Might be kinda picky saying it, but it'd be pretty underwhelming if they'd just show her like that after such long wait.

I'd die to see her be animated so amazingly by Smash's CG animator team... :mad088:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I agree that the K Rool trailer is likely not setting up anything else in particular. The nature of the trailer does nothing to suggest anything about Dixie.

What does actual seem to work in Dixie's favor is that Tropical Freeze has been completely absent thus far in all footage they've shown despite being a main entry in one of Nintendo's main IPs that has been released twice since the last Smash game, has sold over 3 millions copies, and is one of the only heavy-hitting Nintendo games to have come out in the last few years. For it to be absent from this game would be truly bizarre and hard to comprehend.

But for it to be reserved for footage in a later direct with a stage of some sort alongside a Dixie reveal, well that makes perfect sense. The DKC medley they just released is just icing on the cake in her favor, although I haven't had time to listen to it. Did it include any DKC3 music? If so, that's a huge point in Dixie's favor, seeing as how shes the game's lead protagonist.
Wait, what DKC medley?

StormC

Smash Hero
In all five Smash games, the one and only reference to DKC3 is K. Rool's recovery.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if dixie actually was announced as part of k rool's trailer the perfect tagline would have been "Dixie Kong Doubles The Trouble!"

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Wait, what DKC medley?
Wasn't there a remastered version of numerous DKC songs released earlier this week? I thought someone posted on it. Couldn't remember if they said it was a medley or just a series of individual compositions, nor did I actually have time to investigate, but we were talking about a few pages ago. It was officially released on the Smash website I guess?

It's worth noting that every DKC3 song that appears should give a small amount of hope for Dixie. But again, I know only what I've seen on here.

Edit: Ah as StormC said, that's unfortunate. You could argue any DKC2 content included is on Diddy's behest. The same can't be said for DKC3 content. Oh well. We still hopefully have some TF content coming that will solidify her chances.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
the song this week was the gangplank galleon remix heard in k. rool's trailer

Top Bottom