• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
THANK YOU SO MUCH Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 !!!!

OK, we have a brand new category of Dixie moveset ideas: Summon. This is the category where Dixie receives aid from a friend. It may not always be an Animal Buddy, but for this particular move we have:

Appearing in a puff of smoke, Ellie sits beside Dixie. She pets her back and blows a large bubblegum wad. As you hold B the gum inflates more and more, ballooning up to large proportions while Ellie sits peacefully in comfort. What's next is pretty obvious:

Dixie then POPS the bubble, startling Ellie in the process and causing her to charge forward in a panicked frenzy! She stampedes through foes and objects blindly, creating tons of damage in her wake and delivers a heavy hit on whoever she tackles, granting high KO power.

This move is a chargeable attack; the gum matches how long it's been charged, and whenever you release the B Button the bubble will be popped no matter the size. The larger the wad the more Ellie will be startled; at lower charges she'll run forward a short distance before vanishing in a puff of smoke, but at higher charges Ellie will move faster and further. Normally, Ellie comes with Armor Frames even at the smallest pop, so you must hit her with something powerful if you want to stop her. If you do, Ellie will vanish in a puff of smoke prematurely. As you inflate the gum more, Ellie will receive a stronger Armor Frame value based on how badly she's been startled, meaning more powerful attacks are necessary to stop her. But, if Dixie inflates the wad to its max size, Ellie will instead have Invincibility Frames throughout her stampede, making her invulnerable. That's horrendous news for her victims, but Ellie can always be Reflected or Pocketed, making this the worst idea Dixie's had if Ellie's turned against her. Everyone should beware.

This is the brand new category for potential Dixie moves. Animal Buddies have been suggested before, so this isn't out of place in the brainstorming we've done. Usually, people suggest Rambi for Dixie to ride. While she has in 2 games, he's undoubtedly associated with DK and Diddy. So, why not use the Animal Buddy that debuted in Dixie's very own game? I took it a step further, and instead of having Dixie ride her like a Rambi substitute, I had her force Ellie to fly off in a terrified rush. Ellie's known to be scared of Neeks (which is a myth IRL, Elephants aren't scared of mice), so rather than have Dixie pull out an enemy, she could use her bubblegum. Also, because of the move's nature, Ellie will run off ledges to get as far away from her source of terror. She's an edgeguarding option!

This is a mean-spirited move on Dixie's part, but it's perfectly in-character because she does this to Kiddy--her cousin and a baby--ALL the time. As such, this is inspired by Dixie's tag-in sequence from DKC3, as well as Zelda's Down B: Phantom Slash. Because of this fact, this move is definitely a Special, either Down B or Side B. Remember, it's chargeable and the charge can't be stored!

OK, that's it for this move! Ellie's a face of DKC3 and as that's Dixie's game she's a great candidate for Animal Buddies. There's 3 distinct ways you can use Ellie for ideas, and this is one of them. I have more ideas for Ellie and other Animal Buddies but for now this one is ready. Hope everyone likes, and for those that haven't seen it before, the OP contains tons of ideas for a Dixie moveset, as well as this Google Doc:
It's best viewed on a desk/laptop.

Also here's the transparent versions of both drawings:

Feel free to put this on twitter whenever you like! Thank you again Mushroomguy12!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
BTW, a suggestion; if you didn't link to it in the first post, you should link any particular posts you want highlighted. Due to the forum settings, page 343(for example) could be something like page 400+ for others. I've found this to be annoying at times, since it makes title changing less useful.

Nice moveset, btw!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
One of my favorite things of all of the DKC games are the animal buddies (another reason I was so sad that Donkey Kong Racing got cancelled :sadeyes:), so I love the idea of summons. There's so many good animal helpers that Dixie could pull from. I'd personally love to see Squawks, Rambi, Squitter, and Rattly, alongside Ellie of course. Not saying every one of her moves or specials has to be one of them, but it would without a doubt make her moveset super unique.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nintendo could’ve handed Donkey Kong Racing over to another team instead of cancelling it altogether, though I see why they did. It wouldn’t of been Rare finishing the game because of the buyout, but Nintendo still owned those characters, so it could’ve been done.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nintendo could’ve handed Donkey Kong Racing over to another team instead of cancelling it altogether, though I see why they did. It wouldn’t of been Rare finishing the game because of the buyout, but Nintendo still owned those characters, so it could’ve been done.
It sucks too. Maybe they can revive the concept, just with different characters. As of now, they could still have BK in it, and perhaps some loosely based upon the Diddy Kong Racing other characters. Like, either a Kremling or King K. Rool, or even both. Kind of depends the first roster, and if they want to make more games. A small roster with free DLC down the line is another way to do so. It'd be a side project, but would cost the 60 as usual, due to the free DLC later.

...Of course, all the other racing games but Mario Kart are dead among their first party stuff, so. It has little chance of happening. Also, to be fair, it probably wasn't much of a different game from Mario Kart in general. Diddy Kong Racing is pretty much a very similar game, being a mascot racer with tons of crazy items. It not continuing to get more games was probably moreso that MK already covered the niche, not just the Rare buyout, which only affects... one character and you just have to remove certain assets(the Rareware Logo). Another could be that the buyout means they didn't want to give it to another person anymore, since it's a pretty special game and basically the Rareware Racing Game. I'm doubting this last bit, but we do know companies in Japan have quite a bit of respect for developers and the original creators. Not all the time(Konami, Capcom Co LTD.), but yeah.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I still think Diddy Kong Racing made more of a lasting impact on me than Mario Kart (not that MK isn't a great series; it is.) I'd love another game from the DK group, with or without Banjo & Kazooie (though if you can tell from my profile pic, main, signature, etc.) Hoping the rumors of a new Donkey Kong game are true, and it wouldn't matter to me if it was another DKC game, racing game, or something new altogether. Grew up playing DKC, just one of those series I always look forward to. (Though I didn't play that Jungle Beat one!)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It sucks too. Maybe they can revive the concept, just with different characters. As of now, they could still have BK in it, and perhaps some loosely based upon the Diddy Kong Racing other characters. Like, either a Kremling or King K. Rool, or even both. Kind of depends the first roster, and if they want to make more games. A small roster with free DLC down the line is another way to do so. It'd be a side project, but would cost the 60 as usual, due to the free DLC later.

...Of course, all the other racing games but Mario Kart are dead among their first party stuff, so. It has little chance of happening. Also, to be fair, it probably wasn't much of a different game from Mario Kart in general. Diddy Kong Racing is pretty much a very similar game, being a mascot racer with tons of crazy items. It not continuing to get more games was probably moreso that MK already covered the niche, not just the Rare buyout, which only affects... one character and you just have to remove certain assets(the Rareware Logo). Another could be that the buyout means they didn't want to give it to another person anymore, since it's a pretty special game and basically the Rareware Racing Game. I'm doubting this last bit, but we do know companies in Japan have quite a bit of respect for developers and the original creators. Not all the time(Konami, Capcom Co LTD.), but yeah.
Oh yeah, it'd be harder for another such racing game to happen now with Mario Kart being as big as it is currently, but back during the Gamecube it wasn't as big and you still had F-Zero and stuff then, so Donkey Kong Racing (albeit with another team finishing it in Rare's stead) could've still been another healthy addition at the time. What's done is done though. In addition to what you said, it also just came down to Nintendo not really knowing what to do with DK once Rare was gone, given the experimental titles DK got before Retro, but we've come a long way since then, thankfully.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Would be dope if this actually happened, and as such Dixie and company being transferable from Tour to MK8D.
I hope Dixie finally makes it into a mainline Mario Kart game if true.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
For those who've not been keeping up with all the leaks, here's a great roundup of all the evidence to support a new DK game announcement is right around the corner:

Get hype people.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh yeah, it'd be harder for another such racing game to happen now with Mario Kart being as big as it is currently, but back during the Gamecube it wasn't as big and you still had F-Zero and stuff then, so Donkey Kong Racing (albeit with another team finishing it in Rare's stead) could've still been another healthy addition at the time. What's done is done though. In addition to what you said, it also just came down to Nintendo not really knowing what to do with DK once Rare was gone, given the experimental titles DK got before Retro, but we've come a long way since then, thankfully.
Yeah. I mean right now it's pretty low on the possibility of happening.

I really wish it did during that era. Though I guess with the confusion of what DK characters Rare owns, they couldn't really put it out. They should've finished it after the buyout. There was multiple options. You could just have the basic Kongs, a Kremling, King K. Rool. You didn't have to have anyone related to Diddy Kong Racing either. I mean, Diddy aside, obviously.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It would be interesting to see what was going on internally in the latter half of the Gamecube's life because it felt like there was a shift in terms of spin-offs and focus for a lot of Nintendo titles after. DK was one of the biggest affected, but even elements like the Mario Sports games felt like they took a hit in terms of home console prominence that only began to change in the Switch era. I almost wonder if the solid but unspectacular sales of stuff outside Smash and Mario Kart just led to less overall investment in DK, F-Zero, and so forth. Combine that with the attempts at Wii branded casual titles which worked for one generation before collapsing in the next, and you basically have a whole decade at least where the strength of (especially multiplayer) IP spin-offs dropped off a lot.

It doesn't seem like a coincidence that Super Mario Party, Tennis Aces, and now Super Rush all feel like attempts to reinvigorate brands that were effectively in weak periods for a good long while. Perhaps DK (and certain spin-offs of it) may be the same.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I know Hyle said not to expect a huge fan service-y type game like the PAON games were, but if this new game is going to lay the ground work for future DK titles then they'll have to make a definitive Kong Family Tree, right?

If they are truly serious about promoting DK as one of their big IPs then I feel like they'll have to address the certain nagging inconsistencies of the family tree. Like, will they retcon certain things like Cranky being the original DK, is Diddy related to DK or not, or is DK Jr. the DK we all know and love? I guess I need to log back into DK Vine to see what Hyle's perspective is on that.

Well, I know how he feels about Jr. and all that, but for the other things I'm curious to know what he thinks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would be surprised if Nintendo spelled out anything to do with Kong familial relations in DK Switch, outside possible arcade cameos that wink and nod around modern DK being the original DK. Miyamoto presumably will be heavily involved, and though he’s maybe the series’ biggest champion, to him, lore seems tantamount to a four-letter word (the Galaxy storybook, the Koopalings and so on).

The big thing I’m anxious to see outside level design is what EPD does in terms of playable characters. This isn’t high stakes at all, as a dedicated DK team can build upon an initial cast with future games. Dixie (and Funky) sure aren’t going anywhere, even if they somehow get sidelined from this first game. That said, given Nintendo’s priority of reestablishing DK as a core brand, it would be a little unfortunate to see the series regress from TF Switch to potentially just DK with a permanently-adhered Diddy for the obligatory jetpack.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
With a younger team being fans of the original DKCs, I hope Miyamoto will give them more leeway with lore and story telling that respects those games a little bit. Miyamoto was involved with DKCR and that game also alluded to Cranky being the original DK so perhaps he is cool with that.

I know Splatoon isn't a long establish franchise like DK is so it doesn't have baggage from the past to worry about, but you can tell they are building something special with the world the young team is creating with that franchise. Would be nice if this DK team can give this new game the same treatment, and perhaps build off what RARE made while create something new.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Had a K. Rool fan show this off as proof K. Rool is more popular than Diddy Kong. Like, you meaning to tell me that millennials playing through the first DKC in 1994 actively avoided that DK barrel (which I think is impossible to do) because they didn't know how to pick it up and somehow managed to get to the end of the game. If millennials can recognize K. Rool then they can surely recognize Diddy Kong lol. Nevermind Diddy is in every game K. Rool is in mostly front and center in the boxart with the exception of DKC3.

Not to disrespect fellow K. Rool fans (I'm one), but more than likely Diddy wasn't in the images that were shown. Lol

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
BTW, a suggestion; if you didn't link to it in the first post, you should link any particular posts you want highlighted. Due to the forum settings, page 343(for example) could be something like page 400+ for others. I've found this to be annoying at times, since it makes title changing less useful.

Nice moveset, btw!
Ahh I figured everyone was on the 40 page format, but I also include the post number just in case to be extra specific. From now on I'll also link to the latest idea at the top of the OP. Thanks for the feedback!
Great illustrations and moveset concept! I like it a lot! And I have to say there is something so good about the cartoon logic of Ellie being stronger the bigger the bubblegum bubble gets (and pops). IT MAKES SENSE! And visually, it would be easy to communicate!

I'll post it tomorrow!
Thanks Snowbound! The twitter page is almost at 1k followers too and it'll be really cool to see it crack a thousand. Keep up the GREAT work!
For those who've not been keeping up with all the leaks, here's a great roundup of all the evidence to support a new DK game announcement is right around the corner:

Get hype people.
Thanks for posting, this is a good way to stay up to speed on what's been happening.
Another fantastic moveset idea and illustration BirthNote BirthNote ! Poor Ellie can't catch a break.

I know this was mentioned in here a couple pages ago, but this youtuber ryukahr is continuing his playthrough of Tropical Freeze.

Dixie is definitely his favorite!
Thanks Seashore, I'm looking forward to your next update!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Had a K. Rool fan show this off as proof K. Rool is more popular than Diddy Kong. Like, you meaning to tell me that millennials playing through the first DKC in 1994 actively avoided that DK barrel (which I think is impossible to do) because they didn't know how to pick it up and somehow managed to get to the end of the game. If millennials can recognize K. Rool then they can surely recognize Diddy Kong lol. Nevermind Diddy is in every game K. Rool is in mostly front and center in the boxart with the exception of DKC3.

Not to disrespect fellow K. Rool fans (I'm one), but more than likely Diddy wasn't in the images that were shown. Lol
Even beyond the original DKC, Diddy Kong has been in way more Mario spinoffs than Rool, including Mario Kart Wii which is one of the best selling games of all time.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Funny enough BirthNote BirthNote I have the next one now.

Time for the DKC2 Kongs to be updated!

All three are new drawings. Wrinkly (still alive) seems to be reading a very informative book. I'm using the helper monkey from Jungle Beat for Swanky so he's not a reskin of DK. Most of his attire comes from DKC2, but he obviously met up with Wario at some point and became obsessed with gold.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah we gotta be real here, Diddy's the 2nd most popular DK character behind Donkey Kong himself. If anything I'd say it's:
Donkey
Diddy
Funky
Cranky
K. Rool
Dixie
Lanky

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Kiddy aside, where's Chunky? I thought he was popular too? Same with Tiny. Or is this just a list of those "most popular"? That said, K. Rool might be more up a bit higher. Possibly more than Funky, and Cranky before Funky too. Rest make sense to me. Poor Dixie.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

My tweet. Definitely didn't mean to insinuate this was a definitive ranking, I found the concept of a millennial recognizability index more amusing than anything else. Casino.org didn't explain its methodology that thoroughly, so I can't say whether other characters were included in the survey and not depicted in the graphics. Diddy and plenty of others easily beat out K. Rool for recognizability, though he surely catapulted above names that otherwise would've been competitive if not for Smash.

Yeah we gotta be real here, Diddy's the 2nd most popular DK character behind Donkey Kong himself. If anything I'd say it's:
Mario
Donkey
Diddy
Funky
Cranky
K. Rool
Dixie
Lanky

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Fixed!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Kiddy aside, where's Chunky? I thought he was popular too? Same with Tiny. Or is this just a list of those "most popular"? That said, K. Rool might be more up a bit higher. Possibly more than Funky, and Cranky before Funky too. Rest make sense to me. Poor Dixie.
Chunky's not really mentioned outside of Brentalfloss's He's Dead meme and kinda only has DK64 to his name. Lanky does too but he's achieved some really strong meme status for years, and iirc he's the most popular of the 3 new DK64 Kongs. Tiny's got a decent thing going for her; well-liked in DK64 and it's weird to admit this, but her redesign definitely attracted certain crowds but she hasn't had any exceptional memes like Funky (New Funky Mode), Cranky (Git Gud) or Diddy (Hoo-Hah). Funky getting in Mario Kart Wii catapulted him since that's the MK with the most players; that plus being really well liked in DKC alone worked wonders for him. Their Tropical Freeze appearances also helped a lot, and honestly if K. Rool wasn't sidelined for 10 years he'd probably rival Diddy at the least. Things are changing and he's likely to climb thanks to Ultimate at the bare minimum. Basically the other characters lean on obscure.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Chunky's not really mentioned outside of Brentalfloss's He's Dead meme and kinda only has DK64 to his name. Lanky does too but he's achieved some really strong meme status for years, and iirc he's the most popular of the 3 new DK64 Kongs. Tiny's got a decent thing going for her; well-liked in DK64 and it's weird to admit this, but her redesign definitely attracted certain crowds but she hasn't had any exceptional memes like Funky (New Funky Mode), Cranky (Git Gud) or Diddy (Hoo-Hah). Funky getting in Mario Kart Wii catapulted him since that's the MK with the most players; that plus being really well liked in DKC alone worked wonders for him. Their Tropical Freeze appearances also helped a lot, and honestly if K. Rool wasn't sidelined for 10 years he'd probably rival Diddy at the least. Things are changing and he's likely to climb thanks to Ultimate at the bare minimum. Basically the other characters lean on obscure.
Well, Lanky did appear in DK Barrel Blast so he has that over Chunky as well. Tiny appeared in DK Barrel Blast as well, and she has appearances in Diddy Kong Racing DS, and Mario Super Sluggers of all things (making her the only 64 Kong to make it to a Mario spin off), so there's definitely an argument there for her to be the highest pedigree of the three.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

All three are new drawings. Wrinkly (still alive) seems to be reading a very informative book. I'm using the helper monkey from Jungle Beat for Swanky so he's not a reskin of DK. Most of his attire comes from DKC2, but he obviously met up with Wario at some point and became obsessed with gold. With Dixie there's not much changed design wise, but I did try giving her two eyes instead of one big eye lol.

Great work! 2 eyeballs on Dixie might be a little blasphemous but you did a good job.
Your helper monkey Swanky is very creative and you made him look sleazier now. He looks like someone whose phone # shows up as "Scam Likely" on the caller ID.
And I like Wrinkly's book! She wants to teach the Kremean War, but we all know she's losing students to Swanky University's Great Ape War course.

Nice job, let me post it on Monday to start the new week!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

All three are new drawings. Wrinkly (still alive) seems to be reading a very informative book. I'm using the helper monkey from Jungle Beat for Swanky so he's not a reskin of DK. Most of his attire comes from DKC2, but he obviously met up with Wario at some point and became obsessed with gold. With Dixie there's not much changed design wise, but I did try giving her two eyes instead of one big eye lol.

Looking good! I'm liking Wrinkly's update the most. Keep up the great work.
Well, Lanky did appear in DK Barrel Blast so he has that over Chunky as well. Tiny appeared in DK Barrel Blast as well, and she has appearances in Diddy Kong Racing DS, and Mario Super Sluggers of all things (making her the only 64 Kong to make it to a Mario spin off), so there's definitely an argument there for her to be the highest pedigree of the three.
Hmmm I think the only thing keeping Tiny from being relatively big is that she doesn't have any memes attached to her. I'm realizing memes have a lot of power behind them nowadays especially; the most she has in that department is the DK Rap, but that boosts Lanky and Chunky as well. You are right though, she's had the most appearances of the DK64 debut Kongs and she appeared in a Mario game. She might edge Lanky out overall, the only problem I've noticed is people wanting a DKC with Lanky playable more often than Tiny, and people wanting to see him again.

It's this interesting case where Tiny's got a higher pedigree but Lanky has more vocal support. Maybe she's more popular overall. How bout I play it safe and tie them for now, with Tiny being the favorite?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I think DK characters perceived as redundancies will always struggle in long term popularity.

Kiddy got some criticism for largely fulfilling the same purpose as Donkey Kong, so Chunky being arguably derivative of a derivative meant he was even less enduring to many. Tiny has fared somewhat better, but even with a redesign it still feels like she's not doing all that much that fans would prefer Dixie do.

Beyond memes, I think that's why Lanky has endured as he has, given that his look and overall abilities felt distinct and you can't really point to a Kong quite like him.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Great work! 2 eyeballs on Dixie might be a little blasphemous but you did a good job.
Your helper monkey Swanky is very creative and you made him look sleazier now. He looks like someone whose phone # shows up as "Scam Likely" on the caller ID.
And I like Wrinkly's book! She wants to teach the Kremean War, but we all know she's losing students to Swanky University's Great Ape War course.

Nice job, let me post it on Monday to start the new week!
Thanks! Lol can't have blasphemy around here. I guess this derails my plans for Diddy's eyes too... Well fine here it is! Maybe it does look better

RjI6dqe_copy_992x999.png

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Remember this?

Kinda weird they would drop the Country moniker if they're going to use it for future products. And this is in Japan.
Nintendo is gonna pull a Resident Evil 7 naming scheme for this new Donkey Kong game. In America the title will be named "Super Donkey Kong: Country" and in Japan the title will be called "Donkey Kong Country: Super"

Top Bottom