• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Usually I'm not at all into rumors, but I like this youtuber, so I clicked. What do you guys think?
I typically like Arlo's output, but his lack of experience and general understanding of 2D platformers' depth kind of shows here. YL & the Impossible Lair alone demonstrates how the genre can be made deeper and Ori's mix of both it and the Metroidvania shows how much potential it has when mixed with other elements.

Even his sales arguments strike me as spurious given its assumed the more modest sales of Kirby and Yoshi are due to being in 2D without accounting for people perhaps not being interested in the kind of games they are. If there were full blown 3D entries in those franchises that sold better than the 2D ones he'd have a stronger point, but it just feels like a leap to declare that's why they're not selling 10 million. I mean DKC Returns outsold DK64 despite not being bundled with the system like latter was or having the kind of brand momentum that 64 did at that point.

Finally he seems to just think that 3D alone will be the thing that completely shake things up and be the earth shattering explosion for the franchise without even discussing what format the game would take, something which could very well make the difference in how the fanbase will respond to it. Sonic's been in 3D plenty of times, and believe me, it was the execution of the particular gameplay which mattered far more than anything else.

I'm subscribed to Arlo and I'll gladly recommend his stuff, however a lot of that video reeks of a thought process that because 2D Donkey Kong wouldn't be exciting to him, that it wouldn't to be to the general public.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Already seeing people complaining about this hypothetical game on ResetERA because it's not 3D, not like the arcade games and a 'waste of talent' because it's not Odyssey 2 instead. They really haven't changed much since NeoGAF. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of whatever this game is (assuming it exists), they can cry all they want about it. That said, there's definitely a lot of positivity going around too, I just really hope we don't go through another Tropical Freeze pre-release situation.
Also, is anyone else slightly worried that DK, Diddy, Cranky and the Kremlings have specifically been mentioned, but not Dixie? I kind of doubt these leakers would be privy to specifics like the character roster, but idk, I can easily see Nintendo pulling a minimalist cast move again, which would be disappointing following Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
.................why is every single You2be user suddenly speaking of Mario Oddyssey's developers working on a DK game rumor?

Im kinda sure said rumor was already known long ago.
If we're speaking realistically its because its finally gone beyond specific discussion circles like this one and there's an obvious YouTube benefit to doing gaming rumor videos the closer we get to E3.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, and Nintendo Life citing the Lonely Goomba of all things.

As for Arlo, I get why others like him, but I've never been that much a fan. He's the posterboy of those that mostly grew up with the Gamecube and as such is more insular to DK since it became an off-brand thing for awhile post-Rare.

If the Odyssey team is actually doing a DK, I personally think it would make more sense for it to be a 3D game, but would not be opposed to another 2D either or 2.5D.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Pray Nintendo decided to have Dixie in the new 2D Donkey Kong game this year. While she was in Tropical Freeze, with Nintendo handling things they may "scale things back" again and use fewer characters.

No I don't expect Jungle Beat where only DK came back, but even Returns only brought back Diddy, Cranky and Funky. I hope this brings back the same cast as Tropical Freeze.

If Dixie isn't in a new mainline Donkey Kong platformer made by Nintendo of all people...then it won't bode well for her inclusion in Smash in the future. Dixie needs to be playable in mainline Donkey Kong games consistently.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, remember to hype responsibly. It's best we don't get too swept up in this as it is a rumor, so grains of salt, healthy skepticism and cautious optimism are good things to have until we get something definite.
Already seeing people complaining about this hypothetical game on ResetERA because it's not 3D, not like the arcade games and a 'waste of talent' because it's not Odyssey 2 instead. They really haven't changed much since NeoGAF. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of whatever this game is (assuming it exists), they can cry all they want about it. That said, there's definitely a lot of positivity going around too, I just really hope we don't go through another Tropical Freeze pre-release situation. Also, is anyone else slightly worried that DK, Diddy, Cranky and the Kremlings have specifically been mentioned, but not Dixie? I kind of doubt these leakers would be privy to specifics like the character roster, but idk, I can easily see Nintendo pulling a minimal cast move again, which would be disappointing following Tropical Freeze.
Yeah I'm a bit worried about Dixie's inclusion as well. Not only that, how would they implement her? Would Diddy and Dixie be the NSMB Toads to DK's Mario? They have a known habit of reskinning characters for development efficiency, so I hope each Kong is given distinction. Assuming more than DK is playable, I want to have a reason to play as either Kong. DK can't be basic as hell, and the rest need their own strengths.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't know if I've jumped in here recently, but I wanted to say that Dixie has my support behind her. (I would argue that she's not the last Nintendo All-Star, but she certainly is one of the last either way.)

The recent DK rumors are interesting, but I highly doubt their accuracy. As for the 2D/3D debate, I do think it's worth reexploring 3D for Donkey Kong as a franchise, but I think that 2D can coexist with it. I see no reason to abandon one entirely in favor of the other.

Regardless of the format a future DK game takes, I hope to see both K. Rool and the Kong family make a return. I appreciate the Saturday morning cartoon vibe that the characters can bring to things, and I just hope that the art direction is solid.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I typically like Arlo's output, but his lack of experience and general understanding of 2D platformers' depth kind of shows here. YL & the Impossible Lair alone demonstrates how the genre can be made deeper and Ori's mix of both it and the Metroidvania shows how much potential it has when mixed with other elements.

Even his sales arguments strike me as spurious given its assumed the more modest sales of Kirby and Yoshi are due to being in 2D without accounting for people perhaps not being interested in the kind of games they are. If there were full blown 3D entries in those franchises that sold better than the 2D ones he'd have a stronger point, but it just feels like a leap to declare that's why they're not selling 10 million. I mean DKC Returns outsold DK64 despite not being bundled with the system like latter was or having the kind of brand momentum that 64 did at that point.

Finally he seems to just think that 3D alone will be the thing that completely shake things up and be the earth shattering explosion for the franchise without even discussing what format the game would take, something which could very well make the difference in how the fanbase will respond to it. Sonic's been in 3D plenty of times, and believe me, it was the execution of the particular gameplay which mattered far more than anything else.

I'm subscribed to Arlo and I'll gladly recommend his stuff, however a lot of that video reeks of a thought process that because 2D Donkey Kong wouldn't be exciting to him, that it wouldn't to be to the general public.
I totally agree.
Yeah, and Nintendo Life citing the Lonely Goomba of all things.

As for Arlo, I get why others like him, but I've never been that much a fan. He's the posterboy of those that mostly grew up with the Gamecube and as such is more insular to DK since it became an off-brand thing for awhile post-Rare.

If the Odyssey team is actually doing a DK, I personally think it would make more sense for it to be a 3D game, but would not be opposed to another 2D either or 2.5D.
So this rumor comes from nowhere... Sorry for the misfounded hype, guys.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I totally agree.

this rumor is rumored by some people/circles for some months now (also more than one year, if I recall correctly), and there are different hints which lead toward this direction.
It doesn't come from nowhere, but it got now a "global" recognition from nowhere, in the sense that in these last days it has been finally recognised even if in these days no new things came up.

Btw, I'm very confident it will be announced at E3!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
this rumor is rumored by some people/circles for some months now (also more than one year, if I recall correctly), and there are different hints which lead toward this direction.
It doesn't come from nowhere, but it got now a "global" recognition from nowhere, in the sense that in these last days it has been finally recognised even if in these days no new things came up.

Btw, I'm very confident it will be announced at E3!
Oh, ok then. Well, fingers crossed!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Hyle Russel the co-founder of DK Vine heard these rumors awhile back. Some of us here in this thread was talking about this month's ago specifically Planet Cool Planet Cool who messaged Hyle on DK Vine about when to expect DK news and he said "Wait until the Summer.". I would bet on his words as Hyle isn't a liar and someone who definitely has inside connections.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I think Hyle Russel the co-founder of DK Vine heard these rumors awhile back. Some of us here in this thread was talking about this month's ago specifically Planet Cool Planet Cool who messaged Hype on DK Vine about when to expect DK news and he said "Wait until the Summer.". I would bet on his words as Hyle isn't a liar and someone who definitely has inside connections.
Hype Brussel will be Hyle's new name when he leaves the country if this doesn't pan out.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Would be dope if this actually happened, and as such Dixie and company being transferable from Tour to MK8D.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice

Would be dope if this actually happened, and as such Dixie and company being transferable from Tour to MK8D.
Great, now I'm gonna be disappointed when this inevitably doesn't lead to them adding the new tracks and characters from Tour to 8 Deluxe. We could have Dixie, Funky and Pauline in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and it would be a thing of beauty.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
If it were up to me, they would have easter eggs and references spanning the entire series. The arcade era, Rare era, Paon era and Retro era all are important to me in their own ways, so I'd love to see some consolidation of all them within the world building and storytelling. I also obviously really hope Dixie makes it in, because I really don't want her to continue to be seen as expendable by Nintendo or people buying these games.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm not expecting every nook and cranny to come back from the original DKCs lore wise, but it would be nice if they did a better job tying into those games than Retro did. For example, I don't expect Candy Kong to ever come back, but it would be cool to see her save point shack in a vegetative and dilapidated state. A simple funny callback like that would mean a lot.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Super Rush got an overview trailer today. The base roster was confirmed...

DK is the only Kong, but Pauline, King Bob-omb, and surprisingly Charging Chuck are all confirmed.

There's hope for the rest of the Kongs to appear.

Diddy is agiven for DLC, but King Bob-omb, and Pauline getting in gives me hope that Dixie will join them since save for Chuck, these two were also in Tour, which is where all three made their Mario Kart debut.

Considering how Odyssey's team are rumored to make the next DK, I have a feeling Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool, and Cranky are coming to Super Rush.

It just makes too much sense.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
DK's thing has always been just wearing the tie for comedic purposes save for Strikers and Mario Party 2.

I think that adds to the joke of both him and Yoshi. Yoshi appears to have alt colors, so perhaps DK and Boo will have gear in updates?

Boo and Chain Chomp got hats in Aces via updates and rewards for tournament participation.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Please, let this become a reality...

____

Little late on the rumor mill talk, but I hope to chime in my thoughts when I can. :dr^_^:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The only thing more shocking than Diddy not being added to Mario Golf (so far) is that there aren't 23 Mario and Peach cat/color/metal/baby/powerup/bizarro variations running around on that roster (so far).

And honestly? Nintendo needs to stop falling back onto Mario Peach clones or nooks to fill their roster spots in spin offs and use actual characters from their other universe's like DK, Wario or Yoshi. Pauline is a great start and Dixie in Mario Kart, but how about the Wario universe ? Or, after being blind sided by his popularity, uh, use K Rool too?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The only thing more shocking than Diddy not being added to Mario Golf (so far) is that there aren't 23 Mario and Peach cat/color/metal/baby/powerup/bizarro variations running around on that roster (so far).

And honestly? Nintendo needs to stop falling back onto Mario Peach clones or nooks to fill their roster spots in spin offs and use actual characters from their other universe's like DK, Wario or Yoshi. Pauline is a great start and Dixie in Mario Kart, but how about the Wario universe ? Or, after being blind sided by his popularity, uh, use K Rool too?
As far as I've come to experience, Camelot Software has never disappointed in the roster department in almost every Mario-sports spinoffs they've developed - just look at titles like Mario Power Tennis or Mario Golf World Tour.
Even long prior to Super Rush we had Mario Tennis Aces that essentially kickstarted Pauline as a playable character for the first time, on top of that game's roster being remarkable ensemble of Mario-characters and enemies, with nary infamous Mario/Peach-clones on sight.

In fact I find it pretty curious how Camelot's still allowed to play some forms of broad strokes with Mario's cast today via friendly Goombas or other Bowser's minions in the story like in previous games.

However, I kinda feel it'd be actually pretty huge leap to see likes of Captain Syrup or even any of the WarioWare's cast pop in Mario-spinoffs lately, same for K.Rool - it's in fact why I long wished Mario Kart-franchise went further reaching far to many parts of Marioverse and celebrated various icons of the subseries under the Mario-umbrella. Double Dash felt like closest coming to realize this, and to lesser extent, MK8 Deluxe - though I kinda could do without the clones as mentioned above, and even some of the cross-promo Nintendo EAD icons because how it has only opened up the "Nintendo Kart"-floodgates, when I believe it'd only lead to major cross-pollution and needless competition with Smash-series, while robbing away Mario Kart's more recognizable identity.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think Diddy's almost a guarantee for Mario Golf if there are post release characters added. Birdo and Toadette are good bets too.

My heart really wants to believe that Dixie would also be added, but I'm not holding my breath after Mario Tennis Aces. The one big thing for me in favor of her inclusion is King Bob-omb being there since he was also a character who's only playable appearance in a recent Mario spinoff was Mario Kart Tour.

Charging Chuck and Pauline are pleasant surprises though. I hope they continue to appear in more Mario Spinoffs.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ok everyone, I need to get to page 343 in order to show my latest moveset idea. After this post I need one more reply for us to reach the next page! Who's gonna be the final post of 342?! I can't do it without multiposting so it's up to another user to make one post!
I volunteer as tribute - Imgflip

Bottom text

Top Bottom