• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Some Tropical Freeze news, it sold 1.4 million during Nintendo's first quarter of 2018!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/314726-nintendo-q1-2018-results-hardware-software-totals-release-sche
YES! Glad it outsold the Wii U version in the same timeframe; according to VGChartz, the Wii U version sold 1.70 million copies in its lifetime. There's some discrepancies like not including digital sales but still, I'm sure the Switch version will surpass its true total in no time.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Well, only like 50 people had Wii Us, so it is not surprising that the Switch version sold more. Definitely good news, though.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a game in dire need of proper representation in Smash, and if K. Rool is the only newcomer, the game would appear to be entirely ignored (since I doubt we're getting any DKCTF stage, item, or AT)... Unless, Dixie makes it in (or Cranky of Funky, I guess, but most likely Dixie). Seeing its success on Switch makes me hopeful, but also, I doubt the game's port was on the radar when Sakurai started the roster. But dangit, Tropical Freeze is the best received DKC game ever (well, some fans argue DKC2, but from a design perspective, DKCTF seems to be the best of the bunch), and it'd be a complete shame if it's not given the attention it deserves.

I just wish Smash Ultimate can give us both K. Rool and Dixie Kong, because both characters can represent very different parts of the DK franchise, and are both completely deserving. If Kirby could get two unique newcomers in Brawl, this game can too (so could the last game, but... ugh).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a game in dire need of proper representation in Smash, and if K. Rool is the only newcomer, the game would appear to be entirely ignored (since I doubt we're getting any DKCTF stage, item, or AT)... Unless, Dixie makes it in (or Cranky of Funky, I guess, but most likely Dixie). Seeing its success on Switch makes me hopeful, but also, I doubt the game's port was on the radar when Sakurai started the roster. But dangit, Tropical Freeze is the best received DKC game ever (well, some fans argue DKC2, but from a design perspective, DKCTF seems to be the best of the bunch), and it'd be a complete shame if it's not given the attention it deserves.

I just wish Smash Ultimate can give us both K. Rool and Dixie Kong, because both characters can represent very different parts of the DK franchise, and are both completely deserving. If Kirby could get two unique newcomers in Brawl, this game can too (so could the last game, but... ugh).
Yea, ideally we get Dixie to showcase DKCTF and K. Rool due to the ballot. We don't have to worry about either interfering with the other this way, but tbh idk how this game's roster will go. The Inklings were a no-brainers but every other candidate is some kind of "Maybe".

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'd be okay with Dixie Kong being in the game, but here's my question. Suppose that she doesn't make it to the base roster and doesn't end up as an assist trophy, would you guys be okay with her being a DLC fighter?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'd be okay with Dixie Kong being in the game, but here's my question. Suppose that she doesn't make it to the base roster and doesn't end up as an assist trophy, would you guys be okay with her being a DLC fighter?

If she's playable in the game as at least a mostly unique fighter then I'm all good no matter how much money I have to pay for her.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
My favorite DKC character, can't believe I haven't posted in here yet. I support! Also those illustrated move sets are the best I've ever seen.

This has probably been talked about before, but what music would y'all want for Dixie's reveal trailer?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My favorite DKC character, can't believe I haven't posted in here yet. I support! Also those illustrated move sets are the best I've ever seen.

This has probably been talked about before, but what music would y'all want for Dixie's reveal trailer?
A little bit of a basic choice but DK Island Swing from Tropical Freeze would fit so well set to gameplay

I also imagined her trailer would be paired with K Rool's and she'd save DK and Diddy from him in which case I think Homecoming Hijinx would fit super well

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Is there anybody who doesn't love those illustrated sets? They're really just top notch in terms of style, creativity and passion.

I'd love to see a new Tropical Freeze stage on top of the DK newcomers. DK is a series that could use some fun, normal stages. Kongo 64 is solid, and Melee's version is pretty good too. But Jungle Japes is unplayable outside Omega (that rushing water, worse than Big Blue in my opinion), Rumble Falls is possibly the worst stage in the series (only Mario Bros. could be worse), and 75m isn't far behind, although it gets a pass for being true to DK arcade. Hijinx was a cool idea, but was really disorienting, and you often barrelled to the other dimension of the stage when you didn't want to. I love the sunset jungle motifs in Japes and Kongo, from an aesthetic point of view. But an icy level from TF would be sweet.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman

Busted Bayou would be pretty cool.

Or maybe a new remix of Stickerbush Symphony, close to the ones in Tropical Freeze.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
H*LL YEAH I'D BE FINE WITH THAT! I'm only gonna be disappointed if she's an Echo!

Why thank you! :grin: I'm really proud of my work and I'm sure VT's proud of hers.

I've added you to the Support List so welcome aboard, and as for reveal music...I could honestly see Bramble Blast from Brawl. It's action-y, lighthearted with a good dramatic flair, and of the 3 Kongs it really feels like it suits her. Other than that I'd imagine something like a remix of GBA's Stilt Village (such as Beneath the Moonlight), a remix of Mining Melancholy or Deep Keep from Tropical Freeze.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Windmill Hills has that lighthearted and bouncy spirit that really evokes Dixie Kong to me. Would really fit the character well, I generally play the stage as her too, lots to love.

Also love Grassland Grooves African rhythms, which also has a bit of a celebratory energy to it, great for a reveal.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Busted Bayou would be pretty cool.

Or maybe a new remix of Stickerbush Symphony, close to the ones in Tropical Freeze.

I like your username as it is one of my favorite tracks of Tropical Freeze. And apparently one of David Wise's favorite compositions too.
Windmill Hills has that lighthearted and bouncy spirit that really evokes Dixie Kong to me. Would really fit the character well, I generally play the stage as her too, lots to love.

Also love Grassland Grooves African rhythms, which also has a bit of a celebratory energy to it, great for a reveal.
David Wise once again created a magnificent soundtrack that is enjoyed by many. Great picks Juliusaurus. I got a couple other picks as well.

I really love the energy in this one. The guitar is killer in this one. And since Dixie shreds on the guitar after completing levels in DKC 2, I find it fitting in a way for her.

Another excellent track and very atmospheric as well. It fits the scenery extremely well. Tropical Freeze deserves a lot of attention especially the music department. The drums and percussion are top notch too. This game's soundtrack is just another reason that solidifies David Wise as one of my favorite VGM composers ever.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

If Dixie makes it in, Dixie Beat should be used.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
HOLY SH*T! That's freaking amazing LMAO. I was surprised at the Plankton from Spongebob easter egg but I had no idea about this. GG Retro.
I tried it on my copy and it sounds like they even added the metroid sound effect! Unless I didn't notice when I played the video. It bums me out a little that there was so much negativity thrown at the game because Retro wasn't working on Metroid. They clearly love working on both series.

Also I would love to see a remix of Funky Waters in Smash!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I tried it on my copy and it sounds like they even added the metroid sound effect! Unless I didn't notice when I played the video. It bums me out a little that there was so much negativity thrown at the game because Retro wasn't working on Metroid. They clearly love working on both series.

Also I would love to see a remix of Funky Waters in Smash!
Yea it really was a shame. People loved DKCR and were hoping they'd make a sequel, then when they announce it all of a sudden people are mad at Retro for doing it.

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
YES PLEASE!!!! I’ve really wanted Dixie Kong in Smash since around 2010 and she was easily my most wanted character in Smash 4. There is quite literally NOTHING I want more than a 3rd Donkey Kong rep.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Even though I want K.Rool more, Dixie has been absolutely robbed of a spot in Smash for ages now. I'd argue that she may even deserve a spot in the series more than anyone else. Its ridiculous that she hasn't been added at this point.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Oh my... I'm trying not to get too hyped after the disappointing e3 direct, but it would be so amazing to see Dixie and k.rool being revealed as playable characters at the upcoming smash direct!!!!!
Please Sakurai, the dk fans have been waiting for too long now!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Better tie up your ponytails guys. This'll be a big ride to hold on to.

Hoping dearly for K.Rool + Dixie Kong - Double Trouble Reveal.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm trying SO hard to not get invested in a joint Dixie/K. Rool reveal. I'm failing.
Fr, part of me knows it's sort of a pipe dream but the other part of me can't get over how amazing that would be, after both fanbases lowkey being at each others throats for years having a reveal that incredible would probably kill me

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1026202051884150784

They just announced a new Smash Bros. Ultimate direct on 8/8/2018 during Melee Grand Finals at Evo. Could we finally see Dixie make her entrance to the series? We'll have to wait and see, but I'm excited to see what they are going to show.
Hooooooly sh*t are you serious?! Augh I should've avoided Smashboards this weekend, 3 days feels like too long! I'm happy though, thank you for sharing!

I'll add Buzzwole in a bit. Hold tight!

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
For whatever reason I'm not actually expecting Dixie to be the character reveal for the direct, but I think even seeing Cranky as an Assist Trophy or a Tropical Freeze stage would get my hopes up that she is playable. Excited to see what happens regardless because I need new info. Blog has been a bit crap lmao.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Wow another Smash direct so soon after e3! Really hoping we get Dixie (and K. Rool) so we don't have to worry anymore!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, first time posting outside the K. Rool thread. Just wanted to say that it's recently come to my attention that Diddy Kong's jab has been altered so he no longer uses his tail. IN MY 20 YEARS OF BEING A DKC FAN, I only just noticed Dixie doesn't have a tail. Could this be evidence to suggest Dixie might be an echo fighter for Diddy? Seems like an awfully odd thing to suddenly change after Smash 4.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Hey guys, first time posting outside the K. Rool thread. Just wanted to say that it's recently come to my attention that Diddy Kong's jab has been altered so he no longer uses his tail. IN MY 20 YEARS OF BEING A DKC FAN, I only just noticed Dixie doesn't have a tail. Could this be evidence to suggest Dixie might be an echo fighter for Diddy? Seems like an awfully odd thing to suddenly change after Smash 4.
Welcome to the Dixie thread! We actually discussed this a couple of pages ago, but here's my take on it. While at first glance it can be easy to draw this conclusion, it seems like an unnecessary route to take from a designer perspective. Why change an existing move for the purposes of making a clone character, when you can make the clone character first and change the move on the clone? While it does make it easier for Dixie to be cloned after the fact, the notion that the move was changed specifically for Dixie makes little sense in my eyes.

Another thing is that making Dixie an echo would eliminate the main defining attribute that makes her unique: her ponytail. Her trophy descriptions in every Smash game state that it can be used for lifting objects, floating in the air, and attacking enemies. It at least shows that the Smash team is aware of this and I feel they would consider this if they added Dixie. I personally think she would be a semi-clone, though I acknowledge that the possibility of echo fighter is still on the table if she wasn't high priority in the newcomer pool and they want to add her last minute.

Last edited:
Top Bottom