• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Seen a lot of chat recently about Rare Replay coming to the Switch. Do you think there's a chance that the Switch version could include the missing DKC games in celebration of the franchise's 25th anniversary?

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Seen a lot of chat recently about Rare Replay coming to the Switch. Do you think there's a chance that the Switch version could include the missing DKC games in celebration of the franchise's 25th anniversary?
Highly doubt it. If anything, SNES online would eventually release the DKC trilogy over time. Besides, Rare doesn't own DK anymore.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A higher caliber that he couldn’t bother putting in the game.
One word... "Everyone Is Here!". The veterans were the top priority in Ultimate so the newcomer selection for the base game was very limited because of that focus. Newcomers in base were basically a mix between Ballot favorites and promotional picks which Nintendo or Sakurai probably didn't see Dixie as a top priority right now as she isn't really nether in their eyes at the moment. Let me repeat that again... NINTENDO OR SAKURAI DOESN'T SEE DIXIE AS A TOP PRIORITY PICK AS OF THIS MOMENT.

Now if I was wrong she would have gotten in already, but we honestly have to have faith things will change especially in the next Smash.

Highly doubt it. If anything, SNES online would eventually release the DKC trilogy over time. Besides, Rare doesn't own DK anymore.
Rare don't own any of the DKC characters anymore but they probably do still co-own the older games that they worked on as DKC2 has a Killer Instinct poster in Cranky Kong's house and DK64 has Jetpac a Atari 2600 Rare game playable in Cranky's Lab.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
One word... "Everyone Is Here!". The veterans were the top priority in Ultimate so the newcomer selection for the base game was very limited because of that focus. Newcomers in base were basically a mix between Ballot favorites and promotional picks which Nintendo or Sakurai probably didn't see Dixie as a top priority right now as she isn't really nether in their eyes at the moment. Let me repeat that again... NINTENDO OR SAKURAI DOESN'T SEE DIXIE AS A TOP PRIORITY PICK AS OF THIS MOMENT.

Now if I was wrong she would have gotten in already, but we honestly have to have faith things will change especially in the next Smash.

They don't own any of the DKC characters anymore but they probably do still co-own the older games that they worked on as DKC2 has a Killer Instinct poster in Cranky Kong's house and DK64 has Jetpac a Atari 2600 Rare game playable in Cranky's Lab.

Hmm, OK. I guess it would make sense. Maybe Nintendo and Microsoft/Rare made some deal concerning it whilst discussing Banjo and their growing friendship? I can see it making more money this way which is a win for all companies involved.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hmm, OK. I guess it would make sense. Maybe Nintendo and Microsoft/Rare made some deal concerning it whilst discussing Banjo and their growing friendship? I can see it making more money this way which is a win for all companies involved.
Phil Spencer said before in a interview that they worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, aka the SNES DKC trilogy and DK64 on VC so there was no issues.

That's three. Sorry, it had to be said...
My bad lol!

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Phil Spencer said before in a interview that they worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, aka the SNES DKC trilogy and DK64 on VC so there was no issues.
Yes, right. I'm not denying that. I'm saying it would probably make Rare/Microsoft happier to include DKC with Rare Replay. I personally believe Nintendo would want to keep DKC with SNES online but maybe they've made a deal? Heck, maybe they'd go so far as letting DKC be in all versions of the game...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

My bad lol!
Other games post buyout era include:

Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA)
Banjo-Pilot (GBA)
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (GBA)
Diddy Kong Racing (DS)
Viva Piñata Pocket Paradise (DS)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong's been confirmed for Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. He's been on a roll recently, with Mario Tennis Aces, Dr. Mario World, and Mario Kart Tour, it seems he's finally making a solid comeback in Mario Spinoffs after being snubbed in MK8 and MK8 Deluxe.

If only Dixie Kong could join him..... being a regular character in those games could do wonders for her reputation. If she appeared in all the Mario Spin offs that Diddy Kong appeared in throughout the 2000s and 2010s she probably would have been in Smash 4 already.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah, you're completely right. I'm sorry for bringing any negativity here. I won't push it any further. Let's just hope we get Dixie as she should be.
Don't worry, it's fine. The topic comes up as part of a cycle so we're used to it. We feel it's best to say where we're coming from to make our stances clear, and as the OP I don't want you to feel under attack for bringing it up. There's a healthy amount of supporters who are fine with Echo status and I won't silence them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Diddy Kong's been confirmed for Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. He's been on a roll recently, with Mario Tennis Aces, Dr. Mario World, and Mario Kart Tour, it seems he's finally making a solid comeback in Mario Spinoffs after being snubbed in MK8 and MK8 Deluxe.

If only Dixie Kong could join him..... being a regular character in those games could do wonders for her reputation. If she appeared in all the Mario Spin offs that Diddy Kong appeared in throughout the 2000s and 2010s she probably would have been in Smash 4 by now.
It would also be cool to see K. Rool in Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games too. Actually, I would pay for him if he's DLC.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
It would also be cool to see K. Rool in Mario & Sonic At The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games too. Actually, I would pay for him if he's DLC.
Yeah characters that arent the koopalings (which have greatly overstayed their welcome IMO) and members of The Deadly Six (who have always sucked yet they keep throwing Zavok into games for some reason) would be nice. Also Eggman Nega really? He is just a palette swap for Eggman. Yes Nega is slightly more evil than regular Eggman but meh.

Mario spin-offs just need to open the playbook more in general. Professor E.Gadd needs to make his playable spin-off debut. Luigi's Mansion is 3 games deep and have all sold really well. Throw E.Gadd into spin-offs (and start using the LM design for King Boo in spin-offs as well). Why has Pauline only been in 1 Mario Spin-off game since Odyssey? Given how huge and popular Odyssey is/was you would think Nintendo would be pimping Pauline out the same way they did/do with Rosalina and now Toadette. Also what happened to Petey, Nabbit, Birdo, and Toadsworth? Finally for the love of GOD start using more DK characters. Nintendo now knows how popular K.Rool is thanks to Ultimate/Smash Ballot get him in more spin-offs alongside Dixie, Funky, and Cranky.

Oh and it also wouldnt hurt to use some of the WarioWare cast and Captain Syrup in spin-off games as well. All of these characters would be better than Koopalings, Metal/Dry versions, and Baby versions of characters.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah characters that arent the koopalings (which have greatly overstayed their welcome IMO) and members of The Deadly Six (who have always sucked yet they keep throwing Zavok into games for some reason) would be nice. Also Eggman Nega really? He is just a palette swap for Eggman. Yes Nega is slightly more evil than regular Eggman but meh.

Mario spin-offs just need to open the playbook more in general. Professor E.Gadd needs to make his playable spin-off debut. Luigi's Mansion is 3 games deep and have all sold really well. Throw E.Gadd into spin-offs (and start using the LM design for King Boo in spin-offs as well). Why has Pauline only been in 1 Mario Spin-off game since Odyssey? Given how huge and popular Odyssey is/was you would think Nintendo would be pimping Pauline out the same way they did/do with Rosalina and now Toadette. Also what happened to Petey, Nabbit, Birdo, and Toadsworth? Finally for the love of GOD start using more DK characters. Nintendo now knows how popular K.Rool is thanks to Ultimate/Smash Ballot get him in more spin-offs alongside Dixie, Funky, and Cranky.

Oh and it also wouldnt hurt to use some of the WarioWare cast and Captain Syrup in spin-off games as well. All of these characters would be better than Koopalings, Metal/Dry versions, and Baby versions of characters.
DKC cast, X-Nauts, 8-Bits, Warioware cast, and so on. There is so many unique characters in the Mario/DKC/Wario universe they could use in the Mario spin offs and they don't even pick up a scoop of that potential in any of the games. It's sad really.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
If clones were rebranded as echoes why are we still saying "semi-clones" instead of "semi-echoes"?
"echoes" are an official thing that is defined by the game, while "semi-clone" is a fan term (that has long predated echoes, mind you) that is not defined in-game. like the game never actually calls isabelle a "semi-echo".

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, you're completely right. I'm sorry for bringing any negativity here. I won't push it any further. Let's just hope we get Dixie as she should be.
No worries. I don't think you or other people necessarily are being negative by supporting Dixie as an echo, like trying to actively hurt Dixie's perception. But I personally think it's a bad thing to do as a fandom looking to increase Dixie's perception and to communicate what Dixie can offer. And I think it also must be emotionally draining on the part of fans like you who talk about it in an emotionally bargaining way, sacrificing Dixie's uniqueness for a "plausible" slot on the roster. It seems like unnecessary angst and with no real reward.

If Dixie isn't as unique as we would have liked, then we'll deal with that if and when it happens.
Until then, I think we should just dream as high as we can. Reach up and grab the next DK King of Swing Peg and swing upward to the stars.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if we get to page 200 then dixie kong will be added to smash!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
True DK fans know that we actually need to reach page 201 to account for every Golden Banana in DK 64.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Beat Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble yesterday and have completed my playthrough the entire SNES trilogy this summer.

All 3 DKC's are great and while I still enjoy playing DKC 3, It probably is the weakest from the SNES trilogy in my opinion in terms of memorable levels, music and some of the enemy's, They were by no means bad ,But probably inferior to the other 2 games, It also feels like King K.Rool and the kremlings precense took a significant step back compared too.

Music is still solid, But nothing really too memorable which was expected since David Wise took a step back and was more of a supporting role while Eveline Fisher took the reigns this time around though not bad a job for a debut soundtrack, Stilt Village, Mill Fever, Rockface Rumble and Hot Pursuit were all still great, Love the Brother Bears theme and the variations of Wrinky Kong's Save Cave especially Peach's Castle theme from Super Mario 64.

Graphically this game is probably the best looking SNES game and is sharper and clearer compared to it's predecessors, This game is likely the power limit of what the SNES is capable of.

Worlds didn't pop or grab me as much as DKC 2 and had more of a calmer summer camp type of atmosphere, Though I can see that they were going for a different world vibe in this game seeing how it takes part in the Northern Kremisphere which is based on a certain part of Europe if I'm not mistaken, But still enjoyed certain parts and level layouts of this environment and at least it has more of a variety compared to the 1st DKC, But that is expected.

Enemy and certain character designs weren't as good as DKC 2, some felt kind of generic such as some of the fish and Parry the animal buddy who likes like an ordinary bird compared to Squawks, Not many Kremling henchmen this time around and overall most of them weren't too memorable, My favorite characters were the Brother Bears in this game and I like to think Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie is related or at least a distant relative from them seeing as how they have some similarities, But I sure hope they return someday in a future DKC or DK game.

Overall, DKC 3 is still a very good and solid platformer and would recommend, it's not as good as DKC 2, It's better than DKC 1 in some areas, But weaker in others and while It's not perfect as you can kind of tell it was made from the B-Team at Rare after the A-Team (who worked on the 1st 2 games) moved on to work on Banjo-Kazooie, It's still a 1st time good job from a younger less experienced team so I will cut them some slack.

Ratings
Donkey Kong Country: 8.75/10
Donkey Kong Country 2: 9.5/10
Donkey Kong Country 3: 8/10

Next Up and Lastly: Donkey Kong 64

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i never had high hopes that the DLC would satisfy me personally, especially since it's almost definitely not going to include any first-party reps. Banjo is probably the first DLC newcomer in the whole series that I'm remotely excited for.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i never had high hopes that the DLC would satisfy me personally, especially since it's almost definitely not going to include any first-party reps. Banjo is probably the first DLC newcomer in the whole series that I'm remotely excited for.
Same here. Besides Banjo & Kazooie, none of the DLC newcomers in the past have been my cup of tea at all.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

update: so there's a possibility this is simply a mix-up on the website's part

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Well, it turns out our next fighter is going to be a SNK rep which is disappointing to me.
Every DLC character except Banjo has been disappointing to me (and even then its only because he's Rare/former Nintendo character and not the actual character himself). From Smash 4 until now. Sorry I dont count Mewtwo as he wasnt exactly new.. Glad I didnt buy the fighter pass. I knew based on Smash 4's DLC and then what Reggie said at The Game Awards that the DLC would be lackluster in my eyes and boy has it lived up to my expectations for it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Same here. Besides Banjo & Kazooie, none of the DLC newcomers in the past have been my cup of tea at all.
Every DLC character except Banjo has been disappointing to me (and even then its only because he's Rare/former Nintendo character and not the actual character himself). From Smash 4 until now. Sorry I dont count Mewtwo as he wasnt exactly new.. Glad I didnt buy the fighter pass. I knew based on Smash 4's DLC and then what Reggie said at The Game Awards that the DLC would be lackluster in my eyes and boy has it lived up to my expectations for it.
Well there was one first party rep in the DLC that wasn't even part of the Fighter's Pass, and it was by far the most disappointing one of all.

If the 1st Party DLC includes characters like that then count me out. Give me characters like Dixie and I'll be interested.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Eh. I'm loving the DLC. If we'll really get a Metal Slug character it'll be a 10/10 for me.
Dixie would turn it into a 12/10 though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A announcement of a 2nd Season Pass would have me jumping around in joy like a idiot. Honestly, I think there should be a 2nd Pass just for us hardcore Nintendo fans that want Nintendo characters.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
A announcement of a 2nd Season Pass would have me jumping around in joy like a idiot. Honestly, I think there should be a 2nd Pass just for us hardcore Nintendo fans that want Nintendo characters.
THAT would get me excited. Though Nintendo would have to announce that all characters in the 2nd fighters pass would be 1st parties only before I blindly buy.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
THAT would get me excited. Though Nintendo would have to announce that all characters in the 2nd fighters pass would be 1st parties only before I blindly buy.
I feel like another demographic that would be excluded in both scenarios would be 3rd Parties from series already represented in Smash. There are certain characters in that group I’d like to see in a theoretical 2nd Pass as well, alongside Dixie of course.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I feel like another demographic that would be excluded in both scenarios would be 3rd Parties from series already represented in Smash. There are certain characters in that group I’d like to see in a theoretical 2nd Pass as well, alongside Dixie of course.
Chun-Li, a different Shin Megami Tensei character, a different Final Fantasy character, X or Zero from Mega Man, there's a bunch of those kinds of characters I'd love as well.

As long as we get Dixie first, I'd even be alright with a second Banjo-Kazooie character like Gruntilda.

Top Bottom