• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You'd easily be able to tell the difference between Dixie and Diddy.

Here's my take. I think that they have very similar builds. As such, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a few similar tilts or aerials.

The worst case scenario is she's like Lucas, a "semi-clone" of Ness who is honestly super different from Ness aside from about 4 moves and is just a similar build.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah the whole video bothered me. Especially the silhouette argument. I mean he even brings up himself that the argument doesn't apply to everyone on the roster. And I think you can tell a difference between Dixie and Diddy...

Plus, it's something Sakurai said in 2008 and everybody knows how much he changes his mind on things lol.
fr, when looking at their silhouettes the main thing that sticks out is dixie's big as ponytail, thus designing a moveset around that extra appendage would would make sense from a visual standpoint and set her apart from diddy moveset wise

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I really hope that Dixie gets in this time, I've waited for so long now. Hope that imgur picture leak is true, the roster would be near perfect. Can't wait anymore

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Just my opinion, but I think Dixie Kong could easily work, but she's not someone I want. At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to see her in Smash. She would be a nice addition. I think it would make much more sense to see her as a recolor of Diddy Kong, however.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Aside from Ridley (who I am pessimistic on, and really think people would be doubting if not for the various rumors going around now), it is difficult to think of characters that I would personally be excited about if they did make it in. Dixie Kong might be one of those few. She was among my favorite gaming protagonists during the 1990's, and both DKC2 and DKC3 were favorites of mine on the SNES. She is among the few legendary female video game characters, and one of the very few Nintendo all-stars left not playable on the roster. Unlike many other female characters, she has a legitimately strong history in her own series and is among the few faces of it.

Like Ridley, I am pessimistic on Dixie Kong's prospects. Dixie Kong was planned for Brawl, but only as a part of a tag-team with Diddy Kong (who then got re-tooled into a separate fighter), and Sakurai did not bother re-tooling Dixie into a separate fighter as well. Dixie Kong also had an important role in Tropical Freeze, but unfortunately that game was released after Sakurai had decided most of the roster and before it was likely on his radar. There is also the fact that K. Rool has the lionshare of newcomer requests for a DK newcomer, and likely got twice as many ballot requests. Dixie Kong seems to have never have gotten a break despite have a fantastic resume (and no weird issues). The only other character that comes to mind that has had a great starpower (and no weird issues) yet still failed to get in is Toad.

There is the assumption that Dixie Kong will be among the most highly requested newcomers once K. Rool is actually confirmed (there is a precedence for this seeing as how K. Rool was not even in the Top 10 most wanted newcomers for Brawl until Diddy Kong was actually confirmed), however, as it stands right now, I think the best course of action would be for Sakurai to do what he did with Meta Knight and King Dedede back during Brawl, and add in both of them.

However, operating under the assumption that K. Rool's shadow will not be removed until Smash Switch is a few months away from release (if at all), it looks like the Dixie Kong fanbase will be playing by the same rules as it has been for the last ten years, the only people supporting the character being those who actually appreciate and enjoy the character and her primary source material (namely DKC2, DKC3, and now Tropical Freeze). Those who want to see Dixie Kong in Smash Bros. are not operating under the mantras of "I want to be part of the winning team", "think of the moveset potential" (I remember when people bashed Bowser Jr. for being clone material, look how that turned out), "we need more villains/females/xxx".

It is something else I observed in late 2014 and early 2015 in regards to the Roy fanbase. A reminder for those who are unfamiliar. The situation regarding Roy's return in Smash Bros. was absolutely dire at that point in time.

1. There were a lot of popular Brawl veterans that had been cut and viewed as a higher priority for DLC than Roy (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, and Lucas)
2. Fire Emblem already have four slots, which many viewed as more than enough characters.
3. One of those four characters was a Marth clone.
4. There was already a "Roy" (Roy Koopa) on the roster (a lot of Roy detractors would make the joke "durr Roy is already in the game"

Yet despite all of this bad news, support for Roy's return was actually strong. I surmised why this was. It ultimately came down to this. A personal connection to the character, heart. People that wanted to see Roy return wanted to see him return because they had many fond memories with him and his source material (Melee, Project M, and FE6). Playing as Roy and enjoying fond memories through this avatar, allowed a connection to the character that was very strong despite the constant abuse by detractors and various bad news regarding his prospects of returning.

Such resolve is not exclusive to Roy fans. It is probably the reason why Isaac still enjoys a lot of support to this very day despite Golden Sun's heyday being 15 years ago, or why Toad still has a core of loyal dedicated fans after three games of still retaining the same role in Smash Bros.

Generally those who wish to see Dixie Kong in Smash Bros. are those who have strong fond memories of playing as the character in DKC2 and DKC3 (and possibly a new generation in Tropical Freeze). For those who played as Dixie Kong in out childhood, it was nice being able to glide over enemies and and obstacles too difficult to surmount at the tim, as well as how cool it was that she could throw things with her pony tail. She had personality too. Whether it was sitting buy and drinking a soda when leaving the controller for a few seconds, or actually licking the honey in the bee hive levels in DKC2, Dixie Kong had little nuances that showed that although she was on an arduous adventure, she could still stop and enjoy herself a bit. This monkey was pretty human.

I fought over seven years for Roy's return in Smash Bros., and I have been fighting for over 17 years for Ridley's inclusion (which I am doubtful on despite the strong rumors, I do not see how Sakurai could have changed his mind so quickly after Smash 4 ended). I am overall fatigued with the speculation and character support scene, and I actually left it for nearly three years (I basically retired after the Roy and Ryu update in June 2015). I intended for Smash 4 to be the final Smash Bros. game I would follow. It was only for this weird occurrence of Smash Switch being unveiled a mere two years after the end of Smash 4 DLC that I have decided to at least follow the game (I barely make speculation or character support comments anymore).

However, Dixie Kong is definitely a character that needs far more support than she currently gets (the only other character that comes to mind in regards to this is Toad). I am doubtful about her prospects, but she is absolutely fitting on the moniker "Nintendo All-Star" and she is a character that has been long overdue for the roster. However, she even though she will most likely take a backseat to K. Rool (who also deserves a spot on the roster), we must not lose hope, and continue to fight and speak up about our support and endearment about this legend. I am basically retired from the Smash Bros. community, but I still felt the need to put a good word out for this pink beret wearing heroine.

DIXIE KONG FOR SMASH BROS.

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Aside from Ridley (who I am pessimistic on, and really think people would be doubting if not for the various rumors going around now), it is difficult to think of characters that I would personally be excited about if they did make it in. Dixie Kong might be one of those few. She was among my favorite gaming protagonists during the 1990's, and both DKC2 and DKC3 were favorites of mine on the SNES. She is among the few legendary female video game characters, and one of the very few Nintendo all-stars left not playable on the roster. Unlike many other female characters, she has a legitimately strong history in her own series and is among the few faces of it.

Like Ridley, I am pessimistic on Dixie Kong's prospects. Dixie Kong was planned for Brawl, but only as a part of a tag-team with Diddy Kong (who then got re-tooled into a separate fighter), and Sakurai did not bother re-tooling Dixie into a separate fighter as well. Dixie Kong also had an important role in Tropical Freeze, but unfortunately that game was released after Sakurai had decided most of the roster and before it was likely on his radar. There is also the fact that K. Rool has the lionshare of newcomer requests for a DK newcomer, and likely got twice as many ballot requests. Dixie Kong seems to have never have gotten a break despite have a fantastic resume (and no weird issues). The only other character that comes to mind that has had a great starpower (and no weird issues) yet still failed to get in is Toad.

There is the assumption that Dixie Kong will be among the most highly requested newcomers once K. Rool is actually confirmed (there is a precedence for this seeing as how K. Rool was not even in the Top 10 most wanted newcomers for Brawl until Diddy Kong was actually confirmed), however, as it stands right now, I think the best course of action would be for Sakurai to do what he did with Meta Knight and King Dedede back during Brawl, and add in both of them.

However, operating under the assumption that K. Rool's shadow will not be removed until Smash Switch is a few months away from release (if at all), it looks like the Dixie Kong fanbase will be playing by the same rules as it has been for the last ten years, the only people supporting the character being those who actually appreciate and enjoy the character and her primary source material (namely DKC2, DKC3, and now Tropical Freeze). Those who want to see Dixie Kong in Smash Bros. are not operating under the mantras of "I want to be part of the winning team", "think of the moveset potential" (I remember when people bashed Bowser Jr. for being clone material, look how that turned out), "we need more villains/females/xxx".

It is something else I observed in late 2014 and early 2015 in regards to the Roy fanbase. A reminder for those who are unfamiliar. The situation regarding Roy's return in Smash Bros. was absolutely dire at that point in time.

1. There were a lot of popular Brawl veterans that had been cut and viewed as a higher priority for DLC than Roy (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, and Lucas)
2. Fire Emblem already have four slots, which many viewed as more than enough characters.
4. There was already a "Roy" (Roy Koopa) on the roster (a lot of Roy detractors would make the joke "durr Roy is already in the game"

Yet despite all of this bad news, support for Roy's return was actually strong. I surmised why this was. It ultimately came down to this. A personal connection to the character, heart. People that wanted to see Roy return wanted to see him return because they had many fond memories with him and his source material (Melee, Project M, and FE6). Playing as Roy and enjoying fond memories through this avatar, allowed a connection to the character that was very strong despite the constant abuse by detractors and various bad news regarding his prospects of returning.

Such resolve is not exclusive to Roy fans. It is probably the reason why Isaac still enjoys a lot of support to this very day despite Golden Sun's heyday being 15 years ago, or why Toad still has a core of loyal dedicated fans after three games of still retaining the same role in Smash Bros.

Generally those who wish to see Dixie Kong in Smash Bros. are those who have strong fond memories of playing as the character in DKC2 and DKC3 (and possibly a new generation in Tropical Freeze). For those who played as Dixie Kong in out childhood, it was nice being able to glide over enemies and and obstacles too difficult to surmount at the tim, as well as how cool it was that she could throw things with her pony tail. She had personality too. Whether it was sitting buy and drinking a soda when leaving the controller for a few seconds, or actually licking the honey in the bee hive levels in DKC2, Dixie Kong had little nuances that showed that although she was on an arduous adventure, she could still stop and enjoy herself a bit. This monkey was pretty human.

I fought over seven years for Roy's return in Smash Bros., and I have been fighting for over 17 years for Ridley's inclusion (which I am doubtful on despite the strong rumors, I do not see how Sakurai could have changed his mind so quickly after Smash 4 ended). I am overall fatigued with the speculation and character support scene, and I actually left it for nearly three years (I basically retired after the Roy and Ryu update in June 2015). I intended for Smash 4 to be the final Smash Bros. game I would follow. It was only for this weird occurrence of Smash Switch being unveiled a mere two years after the end of Smash 4 DLC that I have decided to at least follow the game (I barely make speculation or character support comments anymore).

However, Dixie Kong is definitely a character that needs far more support than she currently gets (the only other character that comes to mind in regards to this is Toad). I am doubtful about her prospects, but she is absolutely fitting on the moniker "Nintendo All-Star" and she is a character that has been long overdue for the roster. However, she even though she will most likely take a backseat to K. Rool (who also deserves a spot on the roster), we must not lose hope, and continue to fight and speak up about our support and endearment about this legend. I am basically retired from the Smash Bros. community, but I still felt the need to put a good word out for this pink beret wearing heroine.

Dixie Kong and Diddy Kong were originally going to be a duo? Interesting. That wouldn't hurt to see, but I doubt it'll happen.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I'm real tired of this attitude tbh, I'll just copy and paste what I commented here lol

"Honestly my major issue with this is that while Diddy's moveset could mostly work with Dixie, it doesn't feel like it would fit her character AT ALL. Diddy is meant to be this mischievous, hyperactive chimp, in contrast dixie is a lot more laid back than Diddy is, I just can't see her pulling out bananas and slapping and jumping on people, especially since in the DKC games, EVERYTHING dixie does relies on her hair. Gliding, attacking, picking up objects, all of it is done with her hair which would make her less of a physical fighter, using her hair heavily in normals would make her distinct thanks to the added range. Dixie in the DKC games is also heavily based on being in the air, and being able to use her hair to more easily manoeuvre in the air and using that to take on platforming challenges, this would translate into smash with the glide similar to peach and a moveset that is stronger in the air but much weaker on the ground. The grappler idea is also one that fits Dixie perfectly, she uses her hair to pick up objects in DKC and having grabs and command grabs be a big part of her moveset just fits her character.

Using Diddy as a base but changing all her moves like they did Wolf makes more sense than adding her as a complete clone for no reason. The idea that Dixie HAS to be a clone because her body is similar is an outdated and stupid argument."
Totally agree with everything you said.
I see some of Diddy‘s moves working for Dixie,
Like the side and down tilt, the fair and the Bair,
The rest of her standards can be changed to hair based attacks, though...

Anti air up-tilt, heavy hair slams as smash attacks etc.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608

That's exactly why I want her in Smash!! I grew up with the dkc series in the 90's and since then I've been always wondering why there's so little DK content in smash. Dixie was always my favorite kong and I hope she gets revealed at e3, please Sakurai!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I remember when I was a kid honestly never even thinking it was a possibility to see DK stuff in Smash Bros until Brawl. I just assumed it was a non DK thing since only DK showed up and DK was weird looking (melee), his stages seemed really generic and not tied that closely to his actual games, and there was just so little DK content overall. Compared to Zelda getting its main characters, Mario getting his, -- DK didn't even have Diddy, until Brawl, it felt like it was just a non DK thing.

Kinda funny if you think about where the Smash Bros requests are now given what Nintendo seemingly wanted to do with the Rare DKC characters. They really underestimated the love for those games and characters.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Yeah the whole video bothered me. Especially the silhouette argument. I mean he even brings up himself that the argument doesn't apply to everyone on the roster. And I think you can tell a difference between Dixie and Diddy...

Plus, it's something Sakurai said in 2008 and everybody knows how much he changes his mind on things lol.
oh, look, the kongs are fighting Bowser!
silhouettes never fail!

or rather I'd say, sillyhouettes

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
No, I think we will get a third party character revealed. If Ridley is playable in the game, I think he would be more likely to be revealed at E3, too, but until and if he is revealed, he falls into the wishful thinking category to me.

I also don't know why you people are expecting both Dixie and K. Rool to be playable. Maybe they will be, which would be great, Smash devs would finally be giving DKC the recognition it deserves, but do but keep your expectations in check, We might not get either of them.
The way many of us see it, they'd be getting in for 2 different reasons: Dixie because of Tropical Freeze and K. Rool because of the ballot. K. Rool's been absent long enough to not interfere with Dixie and is a massive ballot champion, while Dixie's got the success of Tropical Freeze to fall back on, being the most picked of the companion Kongs by far. They're riding 2 separate trains to Smash Switch; that's why I'm rooting for both.

They've also put up this video...

Saw the vid; I'm honestly tired of the "She looks like Diddy, therefore clone" mindset. I can "understand" that line of thinking coming from people who don't know much about DKC, but the dude in the vid is very familiar with the series so his thoughts seem to come from not wanting to put more thought into a moveset, rather than ignorance.

I was surprised to see VeemonTamer VeemonTamer 's moveset featured in the vid and called the most popular fanmade concept though. Obviously I had nothing to do with her post but I was very happy to see it pop up; even with the critique he had I'd be through the roof that it got exposure if I were her. Well done, VT! Makes me wish I put my moveset in the same format so it'd be easier to show, but she has her path and I have mine LOL.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
BirthNote BirthNote
I really think you're Moveset for Dixie is almost perfect. Maybe Sakurai knows of smashboards and he was even looking through your moveset for ideas, haha.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
New Rabbids trailer was shown at Ubisoft's conference. No sign of any Dixie references, but the live performance was pretty cool!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is it, everyone. LITERALLY less than a half hour from Nintendo's E3 Direct! A few coworkers of mine are counting down the minutes... I just wanna say, that between Dixie, Rayman, Crash, Ridley and K. Rool, if even ONE of them gets revealed I'm losing my mind! PLEASE let the Girl With The Whirl, the Third Hero join the roster!

OMG ChronoBound!?! It's so great to hear from an OG speculator after all these years!! That was a VERY well-written post and I'm glad to have read it! I've added you to the support list; hearing from you was such a great surprise!

BirthNote BirthNote
I really think you're Moveset for Dixie is almost perfect. Maybe Sakurai knows of smashboards and he was even looking through your moveset for ideas, haha.
LOL, thanks! I can only hope, but even if Dixie turns out like nothing any of us imagined I'll be happy, provided she's not a clone!

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I'm really disappointed...that was the worst Nintendo e3 show, even Sony's press conference was better. My expectations were low, but this is just sad honestly. Where are all the new games Nintendo? What are your studios doing? Chill all day I guess.
And now to Smash. I was really hyped about smash but this was just lame. It seems like a ultimate port. I mean I'm happy for the ridley fans, but come on, it looks like ridley was forced into that game, looks really terrible.
And Sakurai said we should not expect too many characters which means that we will probably get only 2 or 3 newcomers.
So that's it for Dixie Kong, anyone who still thinks she has a chance is just naive. Maybe King K. Rool is in but I won't get my hopes up, Sakurai really hates non Japanese videogame characters. I didn't expect much but at least a trailer like brawl had back then with at least 4 or 5 newcomers....
Come on, even stupid spin off character daisy is in, even though she is a clone but she's in.
Sorry for my language, I'm just too disappointed

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
A bit disappointed we didn't get to see Dixie (or K Rool), but she hasn't been deconfirmed yet. And I definitely take Sakurai's comment with a grain of salt. It could be him lowering expectations so people don't go crazy, but it could be him lowering expectations so it's more surprising when a bunch of newcomers get revealed throughout the months leading up to the release. He's stated every character is coming back so it won't be like Smash 4 where we didn't see Yoshi for close to a year. There has to be some more characters otherwise it would be bizarre. Although it's a bit bizarre to focus on bringing Pichu and Young Link back lol.

And there's always DLC if she doesn't get in the base game! If they did DLC for Smash 4 they're gonna do it for Ultimate.

We definitely shouldn't give up. Look at the Ridley fans!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There still is a chance for Dixie today. Who knows? Sakurai told us to not expect many newcomers, but they did announce three characters in the announcement of Smash 4. One of them being announced out of nowhere (Wii Fit Trainer). If not today, there are a couple of months still until the release. Not many newcomers doesn't equal no newcomers other than the three announced.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There still is a chance for Dixie today. Who knows? Sakurai told us to not expect many newcomers, but they did announce three characters in the announcement of Smash 4. One of them being announced out of nowhere (Wii Fit Trainer). If not today, there are a couple of months still until the release. Not many newcomers doesn't equal no newcomers other than the three announced.
I imagine we'll be getting simon belmont if the leaks are anything to go by, although they could've gotten that info wrong I still see it happening. Watch him be at the invitational. Either way I don't see having less newcomers as a terrible thing, I'm expecting like 10 maybe

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
A bit disappointed we didn't get to see Dixie (or K Rool), but she hasn't been deconfirmed yet. And I definitely take Sakurai's comment with a grain of salt. It could be him lowering expectations so people don't go crazy, but it could be him lowering expectations so it's more surprising when a bunch of newcomers get revealed throughout the months leading up to the release. He's stated every character is coming back so it won't be like Smash 4 where we didn't see Yoshi for close to a year. There has to be some more characters otherwise it would be bizarre. Although it's a bit bizarre to focus on bringing Pichu and Young Link back lol.

And there's always DLC if she doesn't get in the base game! If they did DLC for Smash 4 they're gonna do it for Ultimate.

We definitely shouldn't give up. Look at the Ridley fans!
Heck, look at Daisy fans like me, heh
Other than that, Well spoken!
To quote the Grinch, This is stop #1, we've still got 7 months worth of newcomer reveals (& nothing but newcomers this time) down the road, & I'm willing to bet that a new DK rep of some kind resides in the ongoing calendar.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I imagine we'll be getting simon belmont if the leaks are anything to go by, although they could've gotten that info wrong I still see it happening. Watch him be at the invitational. Either way I don't see having less newcomers as a terrible thing, I'm expecting like 10 maybe
I'm fine with 10 newcomers and 7 at the very least. Damn we're so close...the AT appearances have been dropping characters left and right; Waluigi, Krystal, Takamaru, Starfy, SUKAPON (maybe another limbless fighter beat him to the punch?) and counting. I just want 3 things from Dixie:
1. Please be a fighter.
2. Please don't be an AT.
3. Please don't be an echo/clone.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm fine with 10 newcomers and 7 at the very least. Damn we're so close...the AT appearances have been dropping characters left and right; Waluigi, Krystal, Takamaru, Starfy, SUKAPON (maybe another limbless fighter beat him to the punch?) and counting. I just want 3 things from Dixie:
1. Please be a fighter.
2. Please don't be an AT.
3. Please don't be an echo/clone.
Apparently they changed diddy's jab so he doesn't use his tail, for the love of god please don't make her an echo, a Dixie that isn't designed around her hair isn't dixie at all and diddy's moveset just wouldn't look right with dixie

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Apparently they changed diddy's jab so he doesn't use his tail, for the love of god please don't make her an echo, a Dixie that isn't designed around her hair isn't dixie at all and diddy's moveset just wouldn't look right with dixie
Seriously, 1,000% AGREED. If they can prove so many wrong about Ridley they can give us a unique Dixie! Even Gannondorf seems to have drifted further from Falcon now; to get a Dixie who's literally female Diddy would bum me out--there's literally 3 primary games to fall back on for source material--Sakurai and co., PLEASE tell me those "Dixie's ponytail is very important" trophy statements wasn't just BS!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Seriously, 1,000% AGREED. If they can prove so many wrong about Ridley they can give us a unique Dixie! Even Gannondorf seems to have drifted further from Falcon now; to get a Dixie who's literally female Diddy would bum me out--there's literally 3 primary games to fall back on for source material--Sakurai and co., PLEASE tell me those "Dixie's ponytail is very important" trophy statements wasn't just BS!
Fr, tbh I'd rather she just not be in the game at all than have her be literally just a female diddy, dixie has so much more to offer than the other echo characters

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I'm really torn on it. On one hand, we would get her in the game. On the other, she definitely wouldn't feel right.

Sakurai usually tends to care about how the characters are in their actual games. Him bringing up Zelda today is one example. (Although none of the Zeldas really strike me as fighters and I would have preferred to have seen her Botw design to match Link, but her design is still really nice.)

The problem with that line of thinking is how he hasn't stayed true to some characters before, like Ganondorf, and his treatment of the series in general.

Last edited:
Well with Ridley and all vets in i have my 2 biggest wants for smash. After some rearranging of priorities, I think Dixie is now my most wanted out of realizable characters.

TBH i wouldnt mind a clone/semi-clone since i already like diddy's moveset but would like a fresg new one too. Since we still have a chance, hoping for the best!
:061:

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
TBH I think the only way Dixie get's into smash is through being an echo / clone. She wasn't a high enough priority to add to the previous games and Sakurai already stated that we shouldn't expect many new fighters, which makes me think Dixie is very unlikely to be among them when you have other characters with bigger followings.

Dixie is my most wanted at this point and I'll take anything I can get, even if I would prefer a totally unique character.

Diddy's rapid jab being replaced could be a sign of this, but they might have also just given him a gentlemen because his rapid jab kind of sucked, only time will tell.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
TBH I think the only way Dixie get's into smash is through being an echo / clone. She wasn't a high enough priority to add to the previous games and Sakurai already stated that we shouldn't expect many new fighters, which makes me think Dixie is very unlikely to be among them when you have other characters with bigger followings.

Dixie is my most wanted at this point and I'll take anything I can get, even if I would prefer a totally unique character.

Diddy's rapid jab being replaced could be a sign of this, but they might have also just given him a gentlemen because his rapid jab kind of sucked, only time will tell.
I mean I don't think "she wasn't in the other games" is that much of a reason, diddy was naturally prioritised for brawl and whatever tag-team mechanic they had either didn't work or they ran out of time and by the time smash 4 rolled around Dixie was very irrelevant so her lack of inclusion was understandable. With tropical freeze being a thing it's kind of hard to ignore her.

And to be fair, Dixie has a decently sized following as well, she doesn't match k rool but it's bigger than a lot of other characters

I just feel like being a clone wouldn't be true to her character and that's not what I want for her, But yeah I guess only time will tell

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Well, Dixie doesn't seem to be out of the running yet, and that includes DK/Diddy's trailers and screenshots on the site. Even Krystal was deconfirmed as an AT in Fox's video. Not going to put too much stock into it, but no news could be good news at this point. K. Rool's still in the running and is very easily the strongest contender for a newcomer after today. I feel that her fate will be revealed when/if he is shown off. However, we've been down this road before, so I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

My only concern is Sakurai's comment about "I hope you weren't expecting too many newcomers". While one could argue that it was only a coy way to set up Ridley's reveal, I'm taking him at his word here.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Things are a bit dire right now. I expected cuts and a healthy amount of newcomers but the opposite means we're not losing anyone at the cost of smaller reveals. IDK what this means for Dixie; I was hoping she'd ride in on TF's acclaim which would prevent her running afoul of K. Rool's Ballot hype, but with a small handful of newcomers that means roster options are tight and Sakurai might go with the more popular option. This theme will be playing in regards to both characters:

At the end of the day, let's avoid any Dixie v K. Rool conflicts. It's still up in the air but let's not let fear start a fan war.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
DK is my favorite videogame series of all time and even though Dixie is my second favorite Kong, I want both her and K.Rool for smash ultimate.
DK is underrepresented and that's a fact. I heard and read people saying that DK is well presented in smash, but how can anybody say that? In smash 4 he had one new great looking but boring jungle stage, two retro stages, almost only remixes of jungle hijinx, no dkc items, no assist trophies and no new reps. Is that good representation? 3 Stages are fine but everything else is just disgraceful.
I know that the game comes out in december so there is still time, but we know sakurai and had that scenario too many times now. I think he didn't want to put Ridley in but he was kinda forced to because of the fan demand and even though K.Rool is more requested, even more so in his own country, he still chose Ridley and u know why? Because Ridley was created by Nintendo themselves, Ridley is a Japanese creation, everything DK related besides DK is not. There is a slight chance that k.rool and Dixie get both revealed later that year together in a trailer as they are from the same franchise, but that is just wishful thinking. I don't know if I can be happy anymore when only one of them gets into the game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I personally don't think an echo would work for Dixie. She's not similar enough to Diddy for it to work. Semi-Clone? Sure. Echo? Not a chance.

That said, I could see Funky as an echo.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I personally don't think an echo would work for Dixie. She's not similar enough to Diddy for it to work. Semi-Clone? Sure. Echo? Not a chance.

That said, I could see Funky as an echo.
I agree but I honestly wouldn't put it past sakurai to do it, even as depressing as it would be

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I agree but I honestly wouldn't put it past sakurai to do it, even as depressing as it would be
How on earth would it work, though? She doesn't have a tail, so at the very least we'd need new animations for some moves, which automatically seems contradictory to what an echo is.

(Note: Echo characters have the same build and share nearly 100% of their animations with their base character, while clones still have some difference, like Dr. Mario's down b or Young Link's jab, arrows, and build.)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Wow! I was expecting conflictive feelings around here, but you're actually scare of the possibilities.

Personally I don't think Dixie will be used as a Echo Fighter because it would conflict with her design (at least I imagine a Sassy Version of Peach's moveset and Impa doing Sheik's stuff is something that makes sense in my head), because that design focus A LOT in the ponytail.

Sakurai can't just create a new character because "Why not?" xDU.. He needs to think in possibilities and expectations; and Dixie is a character that needs to do stuff with her hair, even if she ended up being a Diddy semi-clone.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Wow! I was expecting conflictive feelings around here, but you're actually scare of the possibilities.

Personally I don't think Dixie will be used as a Echo Fighter because it would conflict with her design (at least I imagine a Sassy Version of Peach's moveset and Impa doing Sheik's stuff is something that makes sense in my head), because that design focus A LOT in the ponytail.

Sakurai can't just create a new character because "Why not?" xDU.. He needs to think in possibilities and expectations; and Dixie is a character that needs to do stuff with her hair, even if she ended up being a Diddy semi-clone.
I think we're a bit worried because usually when it comes to DK stuff in Smash, Sakurai is like, "Donkey Kong? Never heard of it." lol

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think Funky is the most likely candidate for another Echo Fighter at this point, but it depends on whether Sakurai feels he'd be worth putting in.

Dixie's sitting in a weird limbo right now. She's too different from Diddy to qualify as an EF, so she would need to be unique; Sakurai has focused on adding very unique newcomers since Smash 4, and it depends on whether or not Dixie fits the bill in his eyes.

However, with how much the team has done this time around to listen to the hardcore Smash fanbase, I feel K. Rool and more DK content is practically a given. It does seem a little odd to me that Dixie is absent from anything shown off far. It seems that practically every other important Nintendo character within existing franchises is either playable or has been referenced some way, save for K. Rool and Dixie. If she was an AT or a part of Diddy's FS, I feel they would almost certainly show her off in Diddy's trailer, like Krystal was in Fox's trailer. Like I said, we've been through this before, but after Daisy, Waluigi, Toad, Krystal, Wolf, the Earthbound/Mother 3 cast, and even ****ing Ridley are all accounted for while Dixie and K. Rool are absent, it raises my eyebrow.

Top Bottom