• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm bringing my expectations down to Wolf/Lucas-level clone, which is fine because I loved Wolf in Brawl but couldn't get near Fox and Falco's movesets.

In about a month or so we should have a clearer idea of the roster so right now we'll just fall back on hype for the time being.
What makes you think we are getting more info on the roster in a month?
I don't have the source anymore but I recall I read somewhere that sakurai even played and liked the original dkc trilogy.
I would really like to see him commenting on that dk issue in an interview or something
Now that you mention, that does sound familiar.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I'm bringing my expectations down to Wolf/Lucas-level clone, which is fine because I loved Wolf in Brawl but couldn't get near Fox and Falco's movesets.
Not to nitpick, but I personally would not lump Lucas and Wolf in the same category. Lucas and Ness are a bit closer than Fox and Wolf. Ness and Lucas are about the most different semi-clones and I don't even consider Wolf a semi-clone. A couple of Lucas' aerials and his pummel are pretty much identical to Lucas and wolf's specials vary a bit more from Fox's than Lucas' do from Ness.

I would love to see Dixie be a Lucas level semi-clone or even a unique character on the level of Wolf. But I fear her fate is as an echo and I'd almost rather not have her than her be 1 to 1 with Diddy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Makes no sense to make Dixie an echo. Dixie's entire "point' as a character is her hair. Using her hair to at least fly and glide. Her using Diddy's jetpack or something would really stand out a lot to anyone as being a disservice to the character.

I don't think that Sakurai is that unreasonable to do that to Dixie. It would be more egregious than any other clone/echo we have seen. At least the ones we have you can sort of fudge. They don't have as strong as a "gimmick" as Dixie has with her hair. It makes no sense here at all.

Now maybe they could build her off Diddy or even DK's attacks, give her some unique specials while sharing other attacks. But it's not realistic I think to think they'll make her an echo, which seem to be much closer to their source material than regular clones. Dixie's thing is her hair. Even if she is mostly derivative, which is sadly possible I think, I would expect to see her use her hair for at least her recovery and a special jump.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
After seeing the change to Diddy's jab, I'm adjusting my expectations. The circumstances are lining up to me, and I am starting to see Dixie as an Echo being more likely. Sakurai has shoved other similar characters into clone status, and I could see him doing this to Dixie. Like someone else in this thread said, he could make her Helicopter Spin into her Up B, which could charge up and shoot her upwards like Diddy's Rocketbarrels (maybe at a greater speed and distance), and he could make her Gumball Gun as her Neutral B, which could function similar to how it did in TF. Everything else would be identical, except for maybe a slower running speed and faster air speed/floatier air physics. Dark Pit has slight differences in his specials, and I see this as being in the realm of possibilities for an EF.

Like everyone else, I would prefer a Peach-like float and a tether grab at the absolute least, but I'm starting to see this as likely, unfortunately. At this point, it is very likely that Dixie and K. Rool are in the game imo, and I think Dixie could end up as an EF.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly, I really, really hope that removing Diddy's tail move is not an indicator for an Echo fighters.
I feel like one of the few people that feels like Black Shadow deserves his own moveset over taking Ganondorf's old moveset, and I'm sure clear on that Dixie can not be an echo fighter. She, as with Black Shadow, are too unique, but, I give in. I could live with BS being an echo fighter, just to see more F-Zero, BUT I WILL NOT give inn on Dixie. A Wolf-Lucas clone, fine, that be perfect if we can't get anything fully unique, but an Echo is an insult to injury.

Last edited:

Reila

Makes no sense to make Dixie an echo. Dixie's entire "point' as a character is her hair. Using her hair to at least fly and glide. Her using Diddy's jetpack or something would really stand out a lot to anyone as being a disservice to the character.

I don't think that Sakurai is that unreasonable to do that to Dixie. It would be more egregious than any other clone/echo we have seen. At least the ones we have you can sort of fudge. They don't have as strong as a "gimmick" as Dixie has with her hair. It makes no sense here at all.

Now maybe they could build her off Diddy or even DK's attacks, give her some unique specials while sharing other attacks. But it's not realistic I think to think they'll make her an echo, which seem to be much closer to their source material than regular clones. Dixie's thing is her hair. Even if she is mostly derivative, which is sadly possible I think, I would expect to see her use her hair for at least her recovery and a special jump.
To play the devil's advocate, they had plenty of gimmicks to work with in Dark Pit's case. There are so many weapons and stuff they could use from Kid Icarus Uprising. That said, I do agree Dixie's ponytail is too much of an iconic ability to not make use of its full potential.

Maybe, just maybe, they plan to dedicate some of the remaining six months to further separating echoes from the originals. It might be a bit trickier for Lucina since she is the second Marth-like character, but there is plenty of stuff to do with Dark Pit and Daisy. In that case, Dixie could be introduced as a Lucas- or Wolf-like echo fighter. That said, I think if that was the case, they wouldn't have bothered with the concept of echo fighters.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How come you lowered your expectations? I mean you were giving hope to pessimists like me that Dixie will still be an original fighter:facepalm:.
It's frustrating to admit it, but with this whole Echo stuff and not too many newcomers I worry that Dixie would be shoved in the roster just so Sakurai can say "See? She's in. Don't say I never cared."

I definitely DON'T want her to be an Echo Fighter, and I'm not crazy about a clone either. Ideally she'd be unique; I can put up with a clone if she's at Wolf's and Lucas's level but otherwise I say AT or don't bother
What makes you think we are getting more info on the roster in a month?

Now that you mention, that does sound familiar.
I'm basically saying more info should trickle out since we've got less than 6 months of waiting left.
Not to nitpick, but I personally would not lump Lucas and Wolf in the same category. Lucas and Ness are a bit closer than Fox and Wolf. Ness and Lucas are about the most different semi-clones and I don't even consider Wolf a semi-clone. A couple of Lucas' aerials and his pummel are pretty much identical to Lucas and wolf's specials vary a bit more from Fox's than Lucas' do from Ness.

I would love to see Dixie be a Lucas level semi-clone or even a unique character on the level of Wolf. But I fear her fate is as an echo and I'd almost rather not have her than her be 1 to 1 with Diddy.
Fair enough; I know Lucas's style on a surface level only while Wolf was part of my Top 3 in Brawl. I assumed Lucas had the same going for him regarding Ness as Wolf did with Fox.

Spatman

Smash Ace
ok, I have to admit, some opinions I read here sounded to me as delusionals or too pessimistic.
-Dark Pit could use many different weapons, but he definitely CAN use the same of Pit's too and that's fine. So DPit can be a good Echo fighters.
-Dixie CAN'T use rocketbarrels. A possible solution to have another kind of equipment working like the rocketbarrels is extremely unlikely yet still possibile in some way. But propulsion hair? seriously? no way
-employing the last 6 months to further differentiate Echo Fighters? impossible. Why in first place did they coin this new wording, then? clone and semiclone fighters always existed in Smash. Now Clones are called Echo Fighters and are clones, end of the story. Sakurai showed us who is an echo fighter/is a clone this time: Lucina, DarkPit and Daisy. They will be clones, and won't be differentiate further. It's possible they are already a bit more differentiated (for stats and moves' effects) to their original source than they were in Smash4, but no more than this. Doc isn't an echo fighter for a specific reason

Reila

It is called theorizing. I never said it was likely to happen.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Do I want Dixie to be an echo? No... It would crush my heart because she deserves waaaay better, but if she got in as one I'd be happy to have a potential top tier (if Diddy is still top) to play as so I can stop stressing myself out solo maining Yoshi. I play characters I have emotional attachments to >.>"

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Do I want Dixie to be an echo? No... It would crush my heart because she deserves waaaay better, but if she got in as one I'd be happy to have a potential top tier (if Diddy is still top) to play as so I can stop stressing myself out solo maining Yoshi. I play characters I have emotional attachments to >.>"
Me too :-)
I main DK because I love the character, funny thing is that every other character I really like in smash 4 is not that good,I'm glad DK is very good in smash 4 at least. Kirby, Charizard, King dedede, jigglypuff, ganondorf...they are all meh.
I played diddy kong in brawl a lot, but somehow I can't play with him in smash 4 anymore. It's mainly because of his up-b which feels awkward to me.
Someone interested in some smash 3ds friendlies? Here is my fc: 2810-2076-4428
Just tell me a time and I'm ready for some 1v1 action :-D
And this is my switch friend code:
SW-0035-6389-6608
Would be really cool to have some DK fellows!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Idk, as someone that loves Ganondorf I just have to say getting Dixie in this way is a double edged sword. You want to play the character because you love them, but eventually it dawn's on you that they'll never be the real them, just a cheap ripoff of someone else.

I want the whole shebang.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Idk, as someone that loves Ganondorf I just have to say getting Dixie in this way is a double edged sword. You want to play the character because you love them, but eventually it dawn's on you that they'll never be the real them, just a cheap ripoff of someone else.

I want the whole shebang.
If she does get in as an echo, I'll live in denial as long as I can then probably seek therapy years later down the road once the truth really catches up to me. You are 100% correct. I hope it doesn't come down to that though.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If she does get in as an echo, I'll live in denial as long as I can then probably seek therapy years later down the road once the truth really catches up to me. You are 100% correct. I hope it doesn't come down to that though.
Lmao, well it wouldn't be that bad, but I certainly think it should be better. She definitely has real potential, she's a unique choice with attacks all her own, not one of those characters where they'd have to add random punches, kicks, and other elements to get her to work. If she doesn't have her bubblegum popgun, helicopter hair, or hair based attacks, she's just wouldn't be ok imo.

Reila

Watch we get Dixie as an echo while getting two Xenoblade 2 characters or something like that. Truly the darkest timeline.

< My live reaction.

We can only hope the focus on fanservice in this game brings Dixie playable with an unique moveset. I am afraid if we get King K. Adipose, that might not happen. I hope you did you research, Grandpa Sakurai.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Watch we get Dixie as an echo while getting two Xenoblade 2 characters or something like that. Truly the darkest timeline.

< My live reaction.

We can only hope the focus on fanservice in this game brings Dixie playable with an unique moveset. I am afraid if we get King K. Adipose, that might not happen. I hope you did you research, Grandpa Sakurai.
Darkest timeline would be if she was Diddy Kong's new Final Smash.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
One thing that slipped past us during E3 is the theme in Diddy's trailer:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AjywYr-fuqY

I personally thought it was a remix of the Bonus Room from DKC1, but if what some people are saying is true, it's a remix of Dixie Beat. The good news is that if true, this is THE most direct reference to Dixie in the whole series. Does it hint at her inclusion? I honestly don't know, but any DKC3 references bode well for Dixie.

It's odd that Diddy potentially gets shown off with a tune that might be his girlfriend's instead of DKC2 or Diddy Kong Racing themes, but it's worth pointing out.

Reila

Any DKC3 references are awesome in my book. God I love that game, but everyone hates it.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I personally thought it was a remix of the Bonus Room from DKC1, but if what some people are saying is true, it's a remix of Dixie Beat. The good news is that if true, this is THE most direct reference to Dixie in the whole series. Does it hint at her inclusion? I honestly don't know, but any DKC3 references bode well for Dixie.

It's odd that Diddy potentially gets shown off with a tune that might be his girlfriend's instead of DKC2 or Diddy Kong Racing themes, but it's worth pointing out.
Potentially good news imo. If she was something simple like an echo or AT I think they would've showed her already. Dropping hints like that seems like a good thing

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Maybe we're being paranoid, but could it really be that Sakurai is hinting k.rool and dixie???
Because when he began to show smash ultimate there was that black screen with the text "the end (just kidding)" isn't that a reference to the first dkc game when k.rool played dead and the fake Credits came up?
The first thing a thought when I watched diddys trailer was "this is Dixie's beat from dkc3, so he could be hinting at dixie!" That's because I played dkc3 on the snes mini a few weeks ago, but I then realized that this also the bonus room music from dkc and I calmed down. But seeing a lot of people saying that this is indeed Dixie's beat gives me hope! :-D

Reila

If they announce both Dixie and K. Rool as unique characters, I might have a heart attack. I am not that young anymore, lol. I grew up playing the hell out of DKC 1~3.

You know, I think the best way to introduce Rool would be right after Dixie. Show her, her moves, then she hears something... The screen goes black, and you can only listen to K. Rool's really loud footsteps (like in the final boss fight in Donkey Kong Country 1). I think it would be cool. Players who know the game would get excited before seeing the adipose king.

A girl can dream, I suppose.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Call me a pessimist but does that lower her chances? It seems strange they'd remix Dixie Beat and not use it for HER trailer.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Call me a pessimist but does that lower her chances? It seems strange they'd remix Dixie Beat and not use it for HER trailer.
Not if he is hinting at dixie for the dkc fans, people not attached to the dkc series wouldn't notice....but I might be paranoid. It's just to much for me, haha.
Like Reila Reila said, it would be a dream come true if Sakurai reveals Dixie alsongside K.rool!!!

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

It sounded like Bonus Room when I went back and looked at the original song.

If they announce both Dixie and K. Rool as unique characters, I might have a heart attack. I am not that young anymore, lol. I grew up playing the hell out of DKC 1~3.

You know, I think the best way to introduce Rool would be right after Dixie. Show her, her moves, then she hears something... The screen goes black, and you can only listen to K. Rool's really loud footsteps (like in the final boss fight in Donkey Kong Country 1). I think it would be cool. Players who know the game would get excited before seeing the adipose king.

A girl can dream, I suppose.
Definitely the ideal scenario to have them both debut in Smash together, one after the other.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

If it was, it isn't a good thing: that tune would be used for Dixie, if Dixie was there

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman

Whatever it's referencing, it sounds great! Finally something more than Jungle Hijinx!

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
I've always said Dixie should be a mix of Diddy and Donkey Kong. Most of Diddy's moves translate well over to Dixie, his basic skeleton, smash attacks, and the Peanut popgun could be a Bubblegum popgun. Dixie's up air should be her helicopter hair and work like DK's up air. She could ground pound and grab with her hair as well.

Last edited:

Reila

Ground pounding with the hair seems beyond silly to me. A mix of DK and Diddy's moveset seem like a really sh*tty patchwork to make a character work, when she has more than enough potential to have her own moveset, either based on her own stuff she can do, or even an "animal buddy" moveset.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Dixie could easily have a more fleshed out moveset, but if they really wanted to get her in and didn't want to pour much resources I think making her a DK/Diddy hybrid is the best way to go. She ground pounds with her in Tropical Freeze and it's pretty satisfying.

She doesn't grab with her hair in Tropical Freeze though, and that just feels wrong. Having her hair as a cargo grab is a must.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will say I'm see a lot of repeats from the old Daisy threads on why she wouldn't be a clone (or at least a semi-clone).

I personally want Dixie to be her own thing but in terms of facts, Diddy's rapid neutral where he waved his tail has been changed (at least according to the wiki) so that's the one main logistical difference out of the way.

It could happen.
Explain the Jetpack and Helicoper Spin and how they would work similary. I'll wait.

Dixie not using her hair in any shape or form would be a crime.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Explain the Jetpack and Helicoper Spin and how they would work similary. I'll wait.

The explanation is simple, either Dixie goes Brawl level Semi-Clone or she's an echo, given her own jetpack and when you come to power you'll try Sakurai for his crimes.

(she could also be wholey original or completely absent but we're talking about using Diddy as a templete)

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Way I see it, it's like Pit and Dark Pit's nuetral special. Diddy's can be aimed, Dixie's can not, but they can go the same distance based on charge; so all it is is a cosmetic alteration, like using the ElectroShock Arm for Dark Pit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Way I see it, it's like Pit and Dark Pit's nuetral special. Diddy's can be aimed, Dixie's can not, but they can go the same distance based on charge; so all it is is a cosmetic alteration, like using the ElectroShock Arm for Dark Pit.
Diddy and Dixie don't even share that many similarities honestly. Diddy is way more hyperactive and physical than Dixie, who's far more careful and attacks mainly with her hair. The Popgun is a definite clone move yes, but outside of that?

They shouldn't play so similar to each other. They might have similarities as weight and height but I don't even think their jumps should be similar. Dixie should be more floaty and have better recovery. Besides that, how would Dixie crash into the stage and explode with her Helicoper Spin?

It REALLY doesn't make sense in the slightest.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Everything you just said applies to Daisy.

Daisy can't float, does not have a connection to Blue Toad and does not throw Vegetables on top of being less reserved and regal than Peach
Guess what she'll most likely do or does already as an Echo Fighter.

What Dixie does have different from Daisy is her own signature power in Helicopter Spin and to a lesser extent the hair as a whole (whereas Daisy's differences are more defined in what she can't do rather than what she does not), but Sakurai has already made mismatches with Daisy

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Diddy and Dixie don't even share that many similarities honestly. Diddy is way more hyperactive and physical than Dixie, who's far more careful and attacks mainly with her hair. The Popgun is a definite clone move yes, but outside of that?

They shouldn't play so similar to each other. They might have similarities as weight and height but I don't even think their jumps should be similar. Dixie should be more floaty and have better recovery. Besides that, how would Dixie crash into the stage and explode with her Helicoper Spin?

It REALLY doesn't make sense in the slightest.
Nothing says echoes can't have signifigant changes provided they share similar animations primarily. There's no denying they have similar body types.

Reila

The Daisy comparison is really not fair considering Daisy was introduced as another Peach. Literally.

Dixie wasn't another Diddy. She was introduced to complement him with different mechanics, just like Diddy complements DK in the original game.

Nintendo eventually fleshed out Daisy in sports games, but Dixie was her own unique character from the beginning.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nothing says echoes can't have signifigant changes provided they share similar animations primarily. There's no denying they have similar body types.
Except that doesn't work. especially since Dr.Mario isn't even a Echo of Mario for example. The smaller Links also aren't Echos of Champion Link for example, and Pichu isn't a Echo of Pikachu either.

So, tell me why Dixie should be more similar to Diddy than characters who are literally the very same character but from alternative universes / time lines / ages? There's no logical reason. Diddy and DK also share no similarities, so why would Diddy and Dixie? Why do I even mentoin DK and Diddy? Because there where people literally saying the same stuff about Diddy before he was revealed.
Everything you just said applies to Daisy.

Daisy can't float, does not have a connection to Blue Toad and does not throw Vegetables on top of being less reserved and regal than Peach
Guess what she'll most likely do or does already as an Echo Fighter.

What Dixie does have different from Daisy is her own signature power in Helicopter Spin and to a lesser extent the hair as a whole (whereas Daisy's differences are more defined in what she can't do rather than what she does not), but Sakurai has already made mismatches with Daisy
The major difference: Daisy was always used as a reskin of Peach anyway.

Dixie is playable in the major releases of her franchises; not only the spin-offs as a Princess expy.

Try again.

This arguement literally holds no water. Daisy had little potential otherwise. Dixie does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom