• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The thought of EPD Tokyo working on an experimental 2D DK has put me in a very depressing state of mind. Oh well, crossing my fingers it's more like Jungle Beat and less like King of Swing. That should hold us over while we wait for another decade for a new DKC after this one fails miserably like the last three experimental games. Welcome back to spin-off hell I suppose.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The thought of EPD Tokyo working on an experimental 2D DK has put me in a very depressing state of mind. Oh well, crossing my fingers it's more like Jungle Beat and less like King of Swing. That should hold us over while we wait for another decade for a new DKC after this one fails miserably like the last three experimental games. Welcome back to spin-off hell I suppose.
I think if Nintendo was willing to put K. Rool in Smash and thought of that as good promotion to invest in a new DKC with him in it as the antagonist again, than I could see Nintendo's main branch working on the DKC games from now on in house since DK's is one of Miyamoto's most important babies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My thought process is coming from here. https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-general-discussion-ot18-is-anyone-else’s-thread-collecting-dust-trans-rights-are-still-human-rights.341191/page-245

They discuss that the new DK is going to take a new direction. In 2D. I don't feel good about this one bit considering history.
I mean, it could be good to add more creative to the game since they're very likely bringing K. Rool back now that he is in Smash. If they stay true to Rare's original vision of K. Rool, he will have a persona gimmick and whatever that gimmick is for the game will heavily influence the themes around that DKC title.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
They talked about dropping the Country name as if this game is a completely different beast a page or so back. This won't be DKC6. :(

The game will most likely be good. Excellent even. However, I don't see it being successful at all which will cause the series to stagnant once again. The series needs to either evolve in the 3D realm or they could play it safe with a DKC6. Both of those are proven success stories, and if they are trying to turn DK into a core franchise again then an experimental 2D DK game is absolutely not the way to do it.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
They talked about dropping the Country name as if this game is a completely different beast a page or so back. This won't be DKC6. :(

The game will most likely be good. Excellent even. However, I don't see it being successful at all which will cause the series to stagnant once again. The series needs to either evolve in the 3D realm or they could play it safe with a DKC6. Both of those are proven success stories, and if they are trying to turn DK into a core franchise again then an experimental 2D DK game is absolutely not the way to do it.
Hey, I understand the concern, but I think it's far too early to worry about this potential game not being successful. The Switch has made giants out of most of Nintendo's first party efforts, and I don't see DK being the exception here. Let's also not forget that the DK theme park is heavily DKC inspired, so no matter what direction the game might take, I think it's fairly safe to say the characters and world will be DKC inspired as well.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
King of Swing and Jungle Climber are DKC inspired and I really don't like those games. I don't think what there are working on is a sequel to those games, but I worry they will stray too far from what I love about DK. I know I said a love DK's world and all from a page back, but... I want both. Gameplay and the established world. K. Rool coming back to DK not in a Country title or even a 3D DK sounds anticlimactic.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'll reserve any judgment for a hypothetical title until I specifically see gameplay. A strong investment in the DK property is nice and the IP is long overdue for greater attention, but such an interest can be a double edged sword. I mean Miyamoto has cared deeply for Star Fox for all the good that did it in the last 15 years.

A lot of this is going to come down to how much a reinvention such a game would be. For every Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime that helps redefine a franchise and take it to new creative heights, there's a Paper Mario or Mario Party that has its best elements stripped away in the name of innovation nobody asked for. Expand on the nature of a platformer in interesting ways and that's exciting; Nintendo trying to fix something that wasn't broken? That's another matter entirely.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think Nintendo more than any other developer knows the importance of not messing up or changing the original formula and if they're going to make DKC big again, than I see them mainly sticking with the 2D formula since that has been the formula for every mainline DK title excluding DK64.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As someone who loves Jungle Beat (Wii version) I wouldn't mind Nintendo taking another crack at the big ape. Yes it will suck if Nintendo goes the reboot route again and dumps the Rare characters. THAT being said with K.Rool in Smash, New Donk City references, Diddy, Funky, and Dixie being in Mario Kart Tour along with the Rambi Rider as well as the massive reception to the original DKC trilogy being added to Switch Online as well as younger developers taking over within Nintendo (who probably grew up with the original trilogy) I can say I trust Nintendo to not do that again.

Gameplay and art style changes im all for as long as the world/characters remain the same. Im not against change when its done well in fact I welcome it. While Returns and Tropical Freeze are fantastic 2D platformers they didn't really do much for the DK IP in evolving/expanding it the same way BOTW did for Zelda or Odyssey did for Mario and honestly DK needs that if we ever want DK to become a behemoth again like he was in the 90's.

My biggest worry is that if Nintendo is handling DK in house then I seriously doubt they will reach out to David Wise to compose a soundtrack. They will more than likely use one of their in house composers not that its a total bad thing as I think Jungle Beat and Barrel Blast have underrated soundtracks and Returns had some great remixes but even then Wise has set such a high bar that its hard for anyone else to reach it within the franchise.

Honestly all worries and speculation aside, I just want new DK content no matter the form. Im so starved for DK content I would take a Konga 4 or Barrel Blast 2 at this point...

Edit: Also with all of this DK talk, rumors, and speculation happening lately Im gonna be SEVERELY devastated if we get to the end of 2021 and nothing DK related amounts on Switch...Im getting too hype for hypotheticals.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I'm glad it was brought up, the memetic status of Donkey Kong has been intensified over the last few years with the HE meme and Expand Dong nonsense and on the Wii U page advertising some games back in 2014-ish, Nintendo indirectly referenced the latter meme with the Snomads front and center. I get that memes and in-jokes are supposed to be in good fun, but when you make it the basis of your work or IP, it can be detrimental. Bringing up Sonic again, starting with Colors, the script pushed for more silliness and gradually moved to embracing memes and self-aware humor relating to the seedier underside of the fandom (And hoo boy, seedy is an understatement). The writers for those games admit they had little knowledge on Sonic and did things the way they saw fit.

That is the biggest problem that a series can suffer from: People who don't know a thing about it and what made it great having a say in said series. This is why I hate where Dixie Kong is and Donkey Kong by extension. People who don't know anything about the series or games or the characters, but feel the need to say or dictate what should and shouldn't be for the series. I'll tie this into another point I didn't get to make last week: These same people are also the outsiders that Brawl allowed in with the inclusion of Snake and Sonic. You now have people who say that characters like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Toad and countless others are uninteresting and boring for a multitude of reasons and then you have characters like Captain Syrup, Takamaru, Sukapon, Mike Jones, Lip, any non-triforce trio Zelda rep or any Zelda rep period, Isaac, Black Shadow, Krystal, just to name a few as scraping the bottom of the barrel. Again, these people come in with little to no knowledge on the legacy series that made Nintendo and led to Smash's finalization telling the fans of those characters that they're wrong for wanting Nintendo characters in a Nintendo-based fighting game.

3rd parties are a frivolous poison that has infected Smash and this started as early as Brawl. Sonic the Hedgehog is self-explanatory, point blank. Solid Snake however, was a left-field choice and pure nepotism on Sakurai's end. Sonic only got in as a result of Snake appearing. They were even going to appear in Melee, which should tell you enough about Sakurai overall and how he sees Nintendo as a whole. Smash Four and Ultimate regulated a chunk of Nintendo's notable faces to the loser's corner while 3rd parties who have had little to do with Nintendo get to come in and enjoy the limelight. This is also why Everyone is Here! can't happen again, the more 3rd parties you bring in, the higher the licensing fees are. It almost didn't happen initially, you can bet it's a one-time thing, which makes the spirit and assist trophy hell more damning, especially the former. Still images aren't content nor are they a good substitute for what was a 3D model that could be shown in every angle. I don't like Sakurai's notion of giving everyone something. Sometimes, nothing is better than something. Bomberman is ****ed indefinitely. He won't get another chance. An assist and a costume with slightly more work put into it isn't gonna cut it for me personally, keyword. I personally do not accept that as a good thing. With being absent, you have the one-in-a-million shot of your favorite character getting in, Banjo-Kazooie being the shot that landed, and how fitting that they were the most well-received characters until Steve arrived and even then, Steve lacks the messy scenario that BK was in.

This statement from the DOJO in hindsight showcases my problem with assists.
"You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them."

The most dedicated fans will likely want those characters to be playable. The fact that only the most dedicated fans will know them does them no favors. In Brawl, this could be a neat way to squeeze more characters in overall, but in hindsight once more, it's very damning to those characters. Was this the intent all along, to put lesser-known Nintendo characters in a regulated corner and push characters who are popular, marketable, characters that can advertise an upcoming game or characters that Sakurai likes personally and disguise them under a notion that they're a good thing because they simply appeared? Tinfoil hat, I know. But my point still stands. Smash Four onward did no favors to disprove this claim.

With an assist and a spirit, mainly an assist and costume, you're pretty much out of the race. You can pretend that you're playing as Isaac with his costume on the Mii Swordfighter, but it's not Isaac, it's just a husk of what could have been. You have a 1/59 chance of seeing Takamaru for ten seconds with an item that can be disabled and you can't even enjoy it due to having to worry about your opponent(s) or the stage hazards, and some assists can't be summoned in certain stages, lowering their chances even more of appearing. A spirit is worse; it's not the character you see, it's a vague reference to that character. The roster is big, but not big enough to properly represent the 1400+ characters that are present in that silly mode. You can only do the same gimmicks for so long until it gets tiresome. That said, at least a still image can be pushed aside and retitled. an assist had actual work put into it and appears to be a de-facto deconfirm, and a costume still needs a modeler and also appears as a consolation prize, no matter if it comes with a track or extra customization. An echo fighter is still a fighter, keyword that can still join the full-fledged fighters and stand aside them on the same plane.

I don't like compromises and I don't like consolation prizes. I don't like that assist trophies are putting big names and notable Nintendo faces in a corner that seldom gets visited. I hate that if you don't see it as a small step to a bigger prize, you're entitled or ungrateful. You are allowed to be disappointed as a customer who intends to pay for the product given. As a paying customer, I have my nods and gripes with Ultimate. My gripes are not because I'm ungrateful, my gripes come from my analysis as a customer who consumed Sakurai's product. I'm giving it a fair shake, rather than saying "GREAT GAME JAM-PACKED WITH TONS OF CONTENT 10/10". That isn't any better than saying "ISAAC AND SHADOW ARE ASSISTS, 0/10 **** GAME". The best part is Sakurai himself acknowledges and accepts that criticism is inevitable, whether he likes it or not and I take great pleasure in exercising that right. Games are a privilege. As long as a price-tag is attached to them, they will always be up for critique, because your money is a very precious resource that doesn't come easy and with today's games coming in at 65-75USD, it becomes more riskier to put your money into one game that may disappoint when you could apply that money to bills, necessities or even stocks.

I apologize for that rant, but this has bugged me since Smash Four in 2013. I'm frankly sick of people attacking me and those who dare not blindly accept what Sakurai presents and cries about how he works hard to give people a game. It's not a charity, it's a business. He intends to make money off it, so therefore he is not entitled be exempt from critique. Throwing a few bones also does not make him free from critique, it should be the standard. Keep throwing bones. Hell, why not the whole bird? Accepting scraps is also a compromise, one that should not be tolerated or humored. Just because you don't care about a character does not give you the right to dictate how important they are. There are people seriously humoring 3rd parties that have less notability than some D-list Nintendo faces simply because they aren't popular or mentioned to the extent that other more known 3rd parties are. See how screwy this whole ordeal is?

Short version: If you want Dixie Kong in Smash as a playable fighter, you have every right to feel that way and should not be attacked or shamed for doing so. Keep the fight going until Sakurai outright states she can't get in or the DLC for Ultimate comes to a close. That goes for every other Nintendo character that's supposedly at the bottom of the barrel. And not every 3rd party character that I like has to be in Smash Bros., personal example for five years now, Rayman.
.....mind if i quote you on my signature for the rest of the year until FP2 is done? This is spitting facts straighter than than an Arrow, and more people should read this masterpiece.

(although i wouldn't call Snake Nepotism, it's CRONYSM, same thing but with friends and acquaintances instead of family members, Nepotism is for relatives)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of my reticence towards a potential move away from the DKC platforming is my experience with other franchises. As a long time Sonic fan I often saw the benefits of ambitious experimentation, but I also saw the cost, specifically the failure to properly build on solid foundational gameplay in the rush to reinvent. While I don't think Nintendo would let Donkey Kong get to the hit and miss record of Sonic, given the progress in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze (and seeing the expansion Yooka Laylee did via the Impossible Lair) it feels like there's so much potential to further evolve it. That feels even more evident given how much 2D platformers are having a renaissance on the indie scene and demonstrating how much lifeblood the genre still has.

Basically I'd love for DK to be a mega IP for Nintendo again, but I'd prefer it not be at the price of the work that's been done or the unique status it has the company's difficult but dynamic platformer.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
^ Now that you mention it I never thought of that. With EAD developing a new 2D DK I could definitely see the difficulty going away. Like I said earlier I love Jungle Beat (Wii version) but it wasnt exactly a challenging game like the Country series can be at times. Well DKJB can be challenging if you're trying to keep a beat combo going but the actual core platforming was pretty easy. Nintendo is all about accessibility and judging by how easy Odyssey was (too easy if you ask me) does make me worry for DK. In my mind Nintendos 2D platformers go like this:

Kirby - Easy beginner 2D series

Super Mario - intermediate/normal 2D series

Yoshi - slow paced/collectathon 2D platformer series

DKC - fast paced/hardcore 2D platformer series

Wario Land - Yoshi, Mario, & DKC thrown into a blender with a hint of 2D Metroid.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Part of my reticence towards a potential move away from the DKC platforming is my experience with other franchises. As a long time Sonic fan I often saw the benefits of ambitious experimentation, but I also saw the cost, specifically the failure to properly build on solid foundational gameplay in the rush to reinvent. While I don't think Nintendo would let Donkey Kong get to the hit and miss record of Sonic, given the progress in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze (and seeing the expansion Yooka Laylee did via the Impossible Lair) it feels like there's so much potential to further evolve it. That feels even more evident given how much 2D platformers are having a renaissance on the indie scene and demonstrating how much lifeblood the genre still has.

Basically I'd love for DK to be a mega IP for Nintendo again, but I'd prefer it not be at the price of the work that's been done or the unique status it has the company's difficult but dynamic platformer.
The main issue is that we don't know which developer will do that, if any. Namco and Paon had a hit and miss record with their takes on the series, Retro is busy with Prime 4, and so far the Switch has mostly played catch-up in regards to porting various Wii U games as Ninty's divisions are slowly adjusting to it.

I figure that the planning period for new DKC stuff has been long, but once they're truly ready we'll hear something in regards to that.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I would like to apologise for my negativity from earlier. I know I should be excited and grateful that Nintendo is taking their time at all for the series especially when they could be making SMO2 instead. It's just disappointing it won't be DKC6 or 3D. As someone who has bipolar depression, it gets really hard to contain when I have a mental relapse. Not saying this revelation caused this, it just happens sometimes.

Gunned

Smash Rookie
If Nintendo themselves are indeed developing a new DK game, then I assume it is possible K. Rool will have either of these two things happen:

one: He's back to being the main villain of the series! But he probably will become more predictable in how he gets used, kinda more like Bowser. Meaning more dkc1 king persona, and less new personas. This is not a bad thing necessarily, this would probably just be done to simplify things.
I would prefer for them to continue the trend of K. rool being that villain who comes up with a new gimmick and plan for every game he is in.
It makes him stand out more, and I hope (and think) they understand that now, and see the value in that.

two: They make him ''buddy-buddy'' with DK. I personally would not like this. Would just be kinda dissapointing after smash really set him up to come back as the big bad of the DK franchise. It would probably grow on me eventually, though. If done right, that is.

I have no doubts that he will come back in either one of these forms at the very least.
I'm more concerned about the cast being reduced to dkc1 characters for simplicity.
Having Dixie play a major role in a new mainline DK title by Nintendo themselves would definitely help her chances with being in smash.
It would be a shame if she were not to show up in this potential game.
Especially now that the SNES dkc trilogy is on NSO (finally) and she has been included in Mario Kart Tour.

Regarding my personal wishes for a new DK title, besides obvious things like having more kongs and K. Rools return; I hope they include more animal buddies. I think Ellie the elephant in particular has a decent shot to be an animal buddy they would use,
due to her being in that leaked model of the donkey kong expansion for Super Nintendo World. It would explain as to why she is included in there.
I definitely hope Enguarde makes his return aswell, and maybe they could even think of some new animal buddies of their own.

Regardless, I am optimistic for the future of the franchise, and have been since K. Rool got in smash.
Dixies inclusion in smash is a matter of when, not if. Even if it doesn't happen in this game. It'll happen one day.

I dont really post on Smashboards, I do read posts from this thread from time to time, though.
So apologies in advance if this wall of text is annoying to read, heh.
English is not my native language so I hope I have been able to get my thoughts across.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
All that discussion on Resetera (Which I don't buy at all BTW) sounds very discouraging. I'm not opposed to spin offs or experimentation, but Nintendo must know at this point that releasing spin offs after a huge absence of a series often ends up in disaster (Remember Metroid Prime Federation Force?).
All those experimental mid 2000s DK games sold very poorly and then DKC Returns sold more than 6 million alone. And a full 3D Donkey Kong game made by the same team that created Mario Galaxy/Odyssey is the dream I've had for almost 2 decades.

I just hope that if the gameplay is fun (Because Jungle Beat showed that they know how to turn the most absurd ideas into a joy to play), characters like Dixie, Funky, Cranky and K. Rool return. Because Nintendo's acknowledge of anything they didn't make is abysmal. To the point the Mario series today is a sanitized vanilla version of what it used to be in the 2000s.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I 100% believe this new game will be more RARE friendly. If this is indeed Jungle Beat 2 or something like it, because I highly doubt it has anything to do with Jungle Climber, then maybe they think there's a winning formula there as long as there's a Dixie, Diddy, K. Rool, etc. present. I'm not sure how badly the absence of the Kongs affected Jungle Beat's sales as much as it had to do with buying an extra peripheral, though. Of course, they rereleased it on Wii without it, and it still didn't do well so maybe it was the absence of the Kongs and friends/enemies.

Then again, King of Swing/JC had those elements and they didn't do well either. Yeah, I'm not buying into that Resetera rumor. No matter how you look at it, a 2D DK spinoff makes no sense whatsoever from a financial standpoint.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Well, maybe it is not Jungle Beat 2.

I was once The Brain coming into this speculation, but now I came out as Pinky. NARF!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'll admit that its the prospect of younger developers at the company that is giving me hope for what they could do. Fresh perspectives is what made BOTW and Mario Odyssey stand out and I have a great deal more optimism about a new Nintendo team handling DK precisely because I suspect they're not boxed in by the same kind of thinking the older ones had/have about it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Nintendo themselves are indeed developing a new DK game, then I assume it is possible K. Rool will have either of these two things happen:

one: He's back to being the main villain of the series! But he probably will become more predictable in how he gets used, kinda more like Bowser. Meaning more dkc1 king persona, and less new personas. This is not a bad thing necessarily, this would probably just be done to simplify things.
I would prefer for them to continue the trend of K. rool being that villain who comes up with a new gimmick and plan for every game he is in.
It makes him stand out more, and I hope (and think) they understand that now, and see the value in that.

two: They make him ''buddy-buddy'' with DK. I personally would not like this. Would just be kinda dissapointing after smash really set him up to come back as the big bad of the DK franchise. It would probably grow on me eventually, though. If done right, that is.

I have no doubts that he will come back in either one of these forms at the very least.
I'm more concerned about the cast being reduced to dkc1 characters for simplicity.
Having Dixie play a major role in a new mainline DK title by Nintendo themselves would definitely help her chances with being in smash.
It would be a shame if she were not to show up in this potential game.
Especially now that the SNES dkc trilogy is on NSO (finally) and she has been included in Mario Kart Tour.

Regarding my personal wishes for a new DK title, besides obvious things like having more kongs and K. Rools return; I hope they include more animal buddies. I think Ellie the elephant in particular has a decent shot to be an animal buddy they would use,
due to her being in that leaked model of the donkey kong expansion for Super Nintendo World. It would explain as to why she is included in there.
I definitely hope Enguarde makes his return aswell, and maybe they could even think of some new animal buddies of their own.

Regardless, I am optimistic for the future of the franchise, and have been since K. Rool got in smash.
Dixies inclusion in smash is a matter of when, not if. Even if it doesn't happen in this game. It'll happen one day.

I dont really post on Smashboards, I do read posts from this thread from time to time, though.
So apologies in advance if this wall of text is annoying to read, heh.
English is not my native language so I hope I have been able to get my thoughts across.
I would prefer for K. Rool to be the threatening goofy bad guy he was in Rare's games than be Dedede 2.0.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Retro is done with DK so it's either Nintendo makes a new game or we get nothing for years, as we've seen already. Remember Tropical Freeze came out back in 2014, we've already gone almost 7 years without a main DK game...which is kinda crazy when you think about it.

This is the longest we've gone without a game. DK64 came out in 2000 only 4 years after DKC3. Then Jungle Beat came out in 2005 which was only 5 years later. Then another 5 years till DKCR in 2010 on Wii when Retro rebooted it.

King of Swing and Jungle Climber were handheld spinoffs, obviously on a console you won't see something like that again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Retro is done with DK so it's either Nintendo makes a new game or we get nothing for years, as we've seen already. Remember Tropical Freeze came out back in 2014, we've already gone almost 7 years without a main DK game...which is kinda crazy when you think about it.

This is the longest we've gone without a game. DK64 came out in 2000 only 4 years after DKC3. Then Jungle Beat came out in 2005 which was only 5 years later. Then another 5 years till DKCR in 2010 on Wii when Retro rebooted it.

King of Swing and Jungle Climber were handheld spinoffs, obviously on a console you won't see something like that again.
They're still working on Metroid Prime 4 which has been in development for 4 years now. They might not touch DKC again until they're finished with Prime 4.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As far as I see, July would be the most logical time for us to hear any DK-related news, if E3 falls through again.
Yeah I keep seeing people in that neogaf thread claim that DK will release in July or August and I keep thinking to myself "When has a DK game ever released then?" Every home console DK game (even Jungle Beat) besides Tropical Freeze has been released in November and been pushed as a holiday title. Tropical Freeze was originally suppose to launch in November 2013 alongside 3D World but Nintendo pulled a "New Horizons" and only delayed it because they needed something to fill a barren/empty Q1.

If Nintendo is internally developing a new DK game clearly they view it as important and a big deal so I suspect this supposed DK game will once again be a holiday title for 2021. So yes June/E3 will be the time we most likely hear about it.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Considering this is potentially being developed by the Super Mario Odyssey team, one of their biggest studios, they would certainly give DK a spot during the holidays or close to it. Odyssey was released in late October after all. I could also easily see them acknowledging the anniversary even if we're just getting one game, which would be more than enough.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
"Nintendo is acquiring developer Next Level Games inc"

(From the developers of the Super Mario Strikers series, Luigi's Mansion series and Punch Out Wii)

www.google.com

Nintendo is Purchasing Luigi's Mansion 3 Developer Next Level Games
Nintendo is adding another studio to their first-party lineup with long-time developing Canadian partner Next Level Games.
www.google.com

Speaking of developers/studios, I have brought up this studio before in past conversations as one of my choices for to take on the Donkey Kong franchise and I can definitely see Nintendo giving DK a temporary home at Next Level Games to work on games/spinoffs.

While they have already been working exclusively with Nintendo since 2013, It's really great to see the studio get promoted from 2nd party to an official 1st party subsidiary and grow and expand under Nintendo.

Always been a big fan of their work with both Mario Strikers and Luigi's Mansion, But other than Donkey Kong I actually wouldn't mind seeing them make a 3rd Mario Strikers game either seeing how they already wrapped up Luigi's Mansion 3 back in October 2019.

Fun Fact: Right after Retro Studios, Next Level Games is now Nintendo's 2nd owned 1st party western studio.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Still would’ve taken the cancelled Metroid game by them judging from the concept art screenshots over what we got from Federation Force which Next Level also unfortunately did. I’ll never not be bitter about it being canned while FF was greenlit despite being in development hell awhile prior.

And since we’ve all been on the DK made in-house train as of late, I don’t really fancy another Western studio working on it at this point in time, but they could be good for another kind of DK game apart from the one we’re already expecting.

I really don’t have expectations for what Nintendo IPs Next Level may do next regardless, especially with how little Nintendo seems to utilize their Western teams as is. The acquisition was just a formality. Shame Alpha Dream didn’t get acquired too before going bankrupt.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Hell YEAH its about freaking time! Next Level has done amazing work for Nintendo. Was not expecting to wake up to this news. Hopefully under Nintendo they can hire more staff because I would love multiple projects from them. I always said DK would be a perfect fit for them. But also I would love to see a Punch-Out!! sequel, a 3rd Mario Strikers, and hell even a new IP.

Top Bottom