• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disgruntled Sonic user

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. I finally attended my first tourney with Sonic after much practice...only to loose to a campy Pikachu in the first match. UGGGGH!

We were on Lylat Cruise. Does anyone have tips against a campy Pikachu and lylat cruise?

Tenki

Smash Hero
It depends. If you were making the first move and losing all the time, then you might have just been outplayed by a better player.

Otherwise, were you having trouble with specific moves? Was a certain part of the stage totally screwing you up?

Be more specific XD

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
The edge of the stage was where I had the most trouble. And the top platforms were horrible, because when I got Pika in the air, I got the first KO. He used DSmash a lot.

Tenki

Smash Hero
ah, if the edge was giving you problems, then you just have to play there more and learn the stage XD

You can try being more patient and not run into Pikachu so much, (or stop short of him, so you can F-smash or something if he D-smashes).

You can also grab D-smash as it's dying down.

If you get hit by it, you can double stick SDI (tap up on control stick and C-stick repeatedly) and escape the D-smash.

How did Pikachu usually get kills on you? just wondering.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Dsmash should be easy. DI out of it, by holding up.

Not a problem.

EDIT: Shield thunder then punish the lag, if he used that as well.

Powershield thunder jolt.

Trillion

Smash Ace
If you get hit by it, you can double stick SDI (tap up on control stick and C-stick repeatedly) and escape the D-smash.
I actually didn't know this. I always tried to DI to the side to get out. Good to know. I rarely end up against a Pikachu, so I hadn't really tested it much.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Watch the matches I had with K Prime in the cinemas. They may not be accurate, but there are things here and there in the match that may help you.

Oh, and yes, SDI UP on Dsmash.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Dsmash should be easy. DI out of it, by holding up.

Not a problem.

EDIT: Shield thunder then punish the lag, if he used that as well.

Powershield thunder jolt.

Most pikachu's use Dsmash, which has been said already on how to get out. and baiting it helps too. like tenki says you should run at him but stop outside of D smashes range, just to get a feel for what he does, then act accordingly. I for one, face a lot of jot spammers, which is stupid imo because it leaves them open to random spinshots, and you can jab them while moving forward, its that easy. they usually give up on it for a while when that happens.

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
I think the main reason I lost is because I don't have much Pikachu experience. His main kill move on me was D Smash with an occasional thunder. If I do the tournament, I'm probally trying another character, but then will go with Sonic again.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Buddy, there are a LOT worse match ups than Pikachu for Sonic :/

Pika really isn't that bad, just take the others advice. Playing against him more will help you get better at the matchup, trust me.

:093:

Patience is a key in a match against pikachu. Its almost always better to let him make the first move. You can usually see pikachus moves coming, and you can adapt to his strategies, because it sounds like this guy liked to spam his d-smash and thunder. It is possible to get around these, but the thing that I hate the most about pikachu is running toward him to unleash an attack/grab only to be smacked by a thunder. Thunder works really well against homing attack as well. Not only that but thunder is really good when you spring jump and d-air to recover after an attack. Its one of of very few attacks that can hit you when your that high up.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Oh that's why I'm confused; I thought Sagen du Smash was the same as Shugo Senpai being described in another new thread :laugh:

When I first started playing Sonic, I thought Pikachu was an unwinnable matchup. It takes some practice to get used to Pikachu.... but just work a lot on your general Sonic game, learn to DI and your general tilts/shieldgrab/punishment game, eventually you can overcome the little rat. The matchup doesn't seem too bad to me anymore, but that's for lack of good pika's in my area.

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
Buddy, there are a LOT worse match ups than Pikachu for Sonic :/

Pika really isn't that bad, just take the others advice. Playing against him more will help you get better at the matchup, trust me.

:093:
Time for some Sonic on CPU Pikachu practice. Then Singles...

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Patience is a key in a match against pikachu. Its almost always better to let him make the first move. You can usually see pikachus moves coming, and you can adapt to his strategies, because it sounds like this guy liked to spam his d-smash and thunder. It is possible to get around these, but the thing that I hate the most about pikachu is running toward him to unleash an attack/grab only to be smacked by a thunder. Thunder works really well against homing attack as well. Not only that but thunder is really good when you spring jump and d-air to recover after an attack. Its one of of very few attacks that can hit you when your that high up.
LULZ
This wasn't helpful at all. He wants solutions to deal with Pikachu, not a list of ways he can be killed by him.

Sagen, maybe you should try and go and play against other tourney players and see if you run into any other problems before asking for help. Chances are next time you'll get matched up against a character that isn't a Pikachu. So go and find decent players and see what other characters you're having problems with and then comeback and ask for help.

No point to go through some exercises for a wrestling match just to realise only half your body is ready.

Top Bottom