• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
I will still likely unlock all the characters via vs match self-destructs (let's face it.... it has historically been the fastest way to get all the characters and I like the traditional "challenger approaching" screen) just to have them all for multi-player matches THEN play world of light for fun.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I will still likely unlock all the characters via vs match self-destructs (let's face it.... it has historically been the fastest way to get all the characters and I like the traditional "challenger approaching" screen) just to have them all for multi-player matches THEN play world of light for fun.
For me it’s fairly similar, except I’m gonna do one stock against lvl9 enemies so I can get good as Pikachu while I unlock a bunch of stuff.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Lots more footage and news pouring out. Any updates on whether World of Light will be the fastest way to unlock fighters?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So he had Ness and Falcon, yet Marth, Lucario, Sonic, Shulk, and Villager were there as well... that’s interesting to say the least. Maybe unlocks are, dare I say it, random like Mario Kart 8?!
Mentioned this in the main thread but if you can unlock characters randomly just by playing through Classic Mode. I'd be completely alright with that, especially if you still get a challenger approaching kind of thing in order to unlock the character. I'd kinda like to know most if the Challenger approaching is still a thing in terms of unlocking characters outside of the World of Light. I don't think we've quite seen a screenshot of a challenger approaching thing yet. So some confirmation on that would be nice.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Even if it's easy like it was in Smash 4, it cracks me up that we start with 8 and have to unlock 66 more. At 10 matches each, that's 660 matches. Maybe it'll be reduced to 5 matches. Either way, 1-stock matches, here I come. YOU FORCED MY HAND, SAKURAI. Also, thank you, Sakurai. <3

Dragonhunter970

Smash Apprentice
NNID
dragonhunter970
3DS FC
3368-2516-8545
The fastest way to unlock is 1HP + flower + fast game speed. Assuming those special modes are still playable.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The fastest way to unlock is 1HP + flower + fast game speed. Assuming those special modes are still playable.
Just checked the site to make sure, and I can confirm, special smash includes both game speed (slow, normal, and fast) and headgear (flower, bunnyhood) options.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I didn't read all post here....
So is there a leaks about "How to unlock all characters?"?
Sorry to interupt.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
No specific details has been found yet but you can get everyone in World of Light with the sole exception that is Cloud. I'm sure there will be other methods revealed soon.
Thanks for kind reply!!
If I find out new methods, can I post here even if I found out through leaks?
I mean can this be a spoiler?

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm planning to get the following Smash 4 series Amiibo to complete my collection:

Bowser Jr.
Corrin
Olimar
Robin
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Zero Suit Samus

This means an additional 7 characters unlocked.

I'm also hoping to get Ridley and Wolf

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think I got what we are all looking for

https://m.imgur.com/a/aTV0QPr#fgGz6cF
Glad to have Challenger Approaching moments back :)

Also apparently a streamer unlocked Ness after completing Kirby's classic mode. I wonder if it is indeed random if you try unlocking characters via Classic? Because unless it was on like specific difficulty level like how it was for Ness originally in SSB64, you'd think Kirby unlocks another Kirby character if there was actually specific characters you unlocked via Classic.

If you get randomized characters by going through classic mode, I'm sold on that method I think.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
and the case is closed

nothing

just finish anything besides training and a challenger approaches thats not a couple of hours if you still have to beat the character

SonicMario

Smash Master
Anyway, I'm actually quite excited for the randomized Classic Mode unlocks

Sure, we know everybody who will be in the game already of course. But there's still kind of a joy to "Which one will I get next?!". I don't care even if it ends up Sonic ends up being the last character I get because of this. There will be 63 (Pokemon Trainer will probably just be one, and apparently the Miis will be seperated) challenger approaching moments. And that's actually pretty damn awesome to me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So you unlock :ultkrool: by beating Classic with :ultlink:?

Now I know who to unlock first assuming the amiibo thing ain't true. :grin:

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So you unlock :ultkrool: by beating Classic with :ultlink:?

Now I know who to unlock first assuming the amiibo thing ain't true. :grin:
We're assuming it's completely Random. Ness kinda makes sense for Kirby being an original 12 character. But an Ultimate newcomer and a completely different series for Link? That feels too odd of an unlock pair to be the specific unlocking criteria.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We're assuming it's completely Random. Ness kinda makes sense for Kirby being an original 12 character. But an Ultimate newcomer and a completely different series for Link? That feels too odd of an unlock pair to be the specific unlocking criteria.
Gosh darn it you're probably right...

Hopefully he's among my first at least.

But yeah it does seem like the way you unlock characters are at random by beating Classic Mode or other modes with other characters. Guess that's what Sakurai meant when he said "steamline".

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Random character unlocks? Well guess Pichu and Wolf will have to wait, we're in for one heck of a ride...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey I’m fine with this the fact is you still have to defeat the character to unlock and it takes a while to finish modes

Stick with classic or world of light or longer vs modes if you want it to be a few weeks to couple of months

And by streamlined you just finish a fight(s) in a mode

World of light (and dark) is how to do it in a specific order

A roulette wheel of who the next character you fight is interesting and you can rematch from a very special mode that’s only active at certain times

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Someone on Gamefaqs said that it’s every 2 vs matches for an unlock. Not certain if true, bit seems potent if that’s the case
That's good for the people who want to unlock the characters ASAP.

I'm still going to prefer the Classic Mode method because it's not too fast like Vs. matches would be, and not too slow like it turns out World of Light is turning out to be in terms of unlocking characters (Plus not as linear). But for those who really want to get them all ASAP, if this is true. Then you have your faster method. :)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That's good for the people who want to unlock the characters ASAP.

I'm still going to prefer the Classic Mode method because it's not too fast like Vs. matches would be, and not too slow like it turns out World of Light is turning out to be in terms of unlocking characters (Plus not as linear). But for those who really want to get them all ASAP, if this is true. Then you have your faster method. :)
Yeah, I don’t know how I’d feel if I unlocked everyone super fast. It wouldn’t give me a chance to learn characters as I go (although I’m already really good with Pikachu in Sm4sh, hopefully that’ll carry over).

SonicMario

Smash Master
(Quoted from the Ultimate Main thread)

Now this is the second stream that I have seen someone unlock K.Rool after beating classic with Link. Im really thinking this isn't as random as we thought
Well god damn it, we might of spoken too soon. Of course it could just be coincidental that this person managed to get that same 1/63 chance of getting K. Rool with Link. But man if it's not actually random we're back to square one with unlock requirements for most characters :(

I guess we still found out you get A character for completing Classic mode with characters. But I guess it might be some weird predetermined set where some characters that they get you to unlock are completely unrelated (Such as Link getting K. Rool when you'd think DK or Diddy would make more sense).

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait it’s still confirmed random

One stream got :ultjigglypuff: challenger with :ultness:

But another got :ultjigglypuff: challenger with :ultkirby:

Both were classic mode

It’s still random

Oh

https://youtu.be/9NTjMc9cV_s
(Will be a matter of time before the ninjas strike this videoj

Looks the vs amount match is

440px-UNO_Logo.svg.png

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Any proof that a new fighter approaches every two VS matches? That would make grinding for characters so much quicker.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wait it’s still confirmed random

One stream got :ultjigglypuff: challenger with :ultness:

But another got :ultjigglypuff: challenger with :ultkirby:

Both were classic mode

It’s still random

Oh

https://youtu.be/9NTjMc9cV_s
(Will be a matter of time before the ninjas strike this videoj

Looks the vs amount match is

View attachment 179692
Okay good, phew.

Though I don't think it's just one. I caught a few more matches on that stream but when they unlocked Inkling it was their 10th Vs. match since they got that milestone afterward. If it was just two vs. matches per character. The streamer would of had 5 characters already then (But they only had Ness, Bowser, Zelda, and Inkling after 10 matches, that's 1 character short if it's just two always). What may actually be the case is increments get bigger but still not too big for each new character for Vs. match methods. So maybe it's every 2 matches at first, then every 3, every 4, and so on (Or maybe it goes up to every 5?). Can't see the whole stream to figure that out completely but yea.

Top Bottom