• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I personally hope we have the original 12 in base roster. It would feel kind of definitive to me, literally starting with everything from Smash 1, where it began, while stil emphasizing that there's so much more to unlock and find.
That’s not a bad idea actually since starting with the original 12 would be ideal.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I would be perfectly ok with the original 12 in the base roster. Less characters to unlock, you know?

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
i'm okay with unlocking a lot of characters as long as the game has some type of "tournament mode" like ARMS and a lot of modern fighting games which unlocks everything but disables online play. it would make things so much easier on tournament organizers, especially local ones

fewmets

Smash Rookie
I really think there should be a "Tournament/Party Mode" option in settings. Lock out most of the game modes like story mode and arcade mode and unlock all characters, stages, items, etc. while it's turned on, then if you turn it back you go back to what you've unlocked. That way you discourage players from just enabling it all the time, actually incentivizing unlocking characters and exploring the game, but you also make it super easy for TOs to run tournaments and for home users to play with friends who main characters they don't have unlocked.

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
Unlocking characters the melee way was cool. I hope they have a way that isn't exploitable. To Unlock Chrom (echo) Win 30 matches with Lucina , & Roy. I like when characters make you have to put in some kinda work. Beating tough event matches, playing on high difficulties. Once you have the whole roster, that becomes a trophy in itself.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
and for home users to play with friends who main characters they don't have unlocked.
I don’t even have to deal with that issue thankfully, seeing as my friend is great at Link, and I have Fox as a secondary main, and I also recently found that I was best with Pikachu in Sm4sh.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Character unlocks are something that need to be done carefully. If it's too quick then what was the point of leaving them off the roster in the first place other than a few hours of "extra content". If it's too slow then people get upset because they still can't play the character they want because it's not unlocked yet. I didn't mind the unlock speed in smash 4 by setting the stocks to 1 and SD'ing. It did feel a little pointless though after the 2nd or 3rd character unlock.

I'd like to see something like this:
Win 3 games with Link → Unlock Ganondorf → Win 3 games with Ganondorf → Unlock Zelda → etc... until all LoZ characters are done.
When an entire series of characters are unlocked (all of LoZ, all of mario, all of pokemon, etc...) then it unlocks a new series that wasn't part of the 12 characters on the starting roster. For example unlocking Fox, Falco and Wolf will give you a free random character such as Pit from KI. Which allows you to unlock Dark Pit and Palutena and then gives you another new free character to continue until all characters are unlocked.

You get the idea. It's about the same speed as smash 4, a little faster because of the free character unlocks for completing a series, but it forces you to tinker with all the characters a tiny bit and would feel more rewarding.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Character unlocks are something that need to be done carefully. If it's too quick then what was the point of leaving them off the roster in the first place other than a few hours of "extra content". If it's too slow then people get upset because they still can't play the character they want because it's not unlocked yet. I didn't mind the unlock speed in smash 4 by setting the stocks to 1 and SD'ing. It did feel a little pointless though after the 2nd or 3rd character unlock.

Win 3 games with Link → Unlock Ganondorf → Win 3 games with Ganondorf → Unlock Zelda → etc... until all LoZ characters are done.
When an entire series of characters are unlocked (all of LoZ, all of mario, all of pokemon, etc...) then it unlocks a new series that wasn't part of the 12 characters on the starting roster. For example unlocking Fox, Falco and Wolf will give you a free random character such as Pit from KI. Which allows you to unlock Dark Pit and Palutena and then gives you another new free character to continue until all characters are unlocked.

You get the idea. It's about the same speed as smash 4, a little faster because of the free character unlocks for completing a series, but it forces you to tinker with all the characters a tiny bit and would feel more rewarding.
I actually really like this idea, if mostly because such a scenario would let me gun down K. Rool quickly, something I absolutely intend to do and papa's gonna be restless if I have to wait a long time to unlock my main.

Inb4 King K. Rool requires 10000 battles played or a Classic Clear on super hard to unlock.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
I just want to see an epic "Challenger approaching" screen with that Alert music in the background. I can't wait to see Ridley's one.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I just want to see an epic "Challenger approaching" screen with that Alert music in the background. I can't wait to see Ridley's one.
Ooooooh, here's hoping it looks cool. Everything else has been really visually enhanced and flashy in Ultimate, it would stand the reason that the challenger approaching screen might look better than it ever has.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be Zelda and then Ganondorf?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I just want us to start with only the original 8, and not the original 12. Makes it feel more like Smash 64. And I actually want it to be a grind to unlock characters, though I think there should be multiple ways to unlock characters: either playing through Spirits mode or doing something more unique like in Melee, or just doing enough vs matches to unlock everyone. This way people can choose how quickly or slowly they unlock characters. It makes the characters feel more rewarding when you have to work for them. But over all, I just want to have to start with the original 8.

glovetheglove

Smash Rookie
As long as there's more than one way of unlocking characters, I'll be happy. I just don't want to feel FORCED into leaving my Switch on for 20 hours to unlock Mewtwo :p

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
I hope whatever means to unlock the characters features nice CHALLENGER APPROACHES splash screens, Subspace Emissary was cool but the lack of them really didn't ring with me (I unlocked the characters before heading in)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I hope whatever means to unlock the characters features nice CHALLENGER APPROACHES splash screens, Subspace Emissary was cool but the lack of them really didn't ring with me (I unlocked the characters before heading in)
But if you did the vs matches to unlock characters that would use the splash screens, wouldn't it?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
That's what I hope too. Every one is talking about Spirits Mode and how they hope you can unlock all of the characters with it, but if it's anything like Subspace Emissary, that means I won't see the splash screens or have to fight for my right to unlock and play a new character. I personally love that, so if Spirits unlocks characters without a fight, I won't play it until the roster is unlocked.

(The flip side of that coin is me worrying that I'll have to commit 30 hours into the game just to get some characters. That's especially irk me if that includes some of the newcomers. That will definitely especially irk me if that includes my main, K. Rool.)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That's what I hope too. Every one is talking about Spirits Mode and how they hope you can unlock all of the characters with it, but if it's anything like Subspace Emissary, that means I won't see the splash screens or have to fight for my right to unlock and play a new character. I personally love that, so if Spirits unlocks characters without a fight, I won't play it until the roster is unlocked.

(The flip side of that coin is me worrying that I'll have to commit 30 hours into the game just to get some characters. That's especially irk me if that includes some of the newcomers. That will definitely especially irk me if that includes my main, K. Rool.)
Same here. I'll probably unlock all the characters through vs matches before doing Spirits mode

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
But if you did the vs matches to unlock characters that would use the splash screens, wouldn't it?
I mean that Emissary doesn't show them and you don't fight with the character to unlock them, so I did the specific methods for each character (play some games in shadow moses to unlock snake, play some matches with lucas to unlock ness, do classic with whoever to unlock someone else...).

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean that Emissary doesn't show them and you don't fight with the character to unlock them, so I did the specific methods for each character (play some games in shadow moses to unlock snake, play some matches with lucas to unlock ness, do classic with whoever to unlock someone else...).
Yeah, that's what I'm saying

Jampen Gage

Smash Rookie
NNID
GammageKids
Switch FC
SW-5640-9609-4988
TBH i would love a Sub Space mode (or any Sort of adventure mode), but i'm not too picky as long as it doesn't take a stupid amount of time

Makotoa

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2720-1558-5025
As someone who has hosted smaller tournaments in the past, I am super stoked that you can mass unlock every character with their respective amiibo. I'm one of those crazies who collected them all.. XD

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely opt to play through the game modes to unlock them all the first time around, but when I inevitably buy another switch for tournament use, or have someone volunteer theirs without the full roster unlocked, I'll take full advantage of my amiibo hoard.

Gotta get something back for my investment when the amount of amiibo support is so shallow.

Makotoa

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2720-1558-5025
Don't get too excited. Technically, that isn't a confirmed feature AFAIK.
hmmm seems the Best Buy web page this was originally purported from has since changed the wording to something more vague...

Well, perhaps that wasn't something they were supposed to reveal yet.
I guess I'm hoping its true in that case. Cus man will that make life easier in the long run.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
hmmm seems the Best Buy web page this was originally purported from has since changed the wording to something more vague...

Well, perhaps that wasn't something they were supposed to reveal yet.
I guess I'm hoping its true in that case. Cus man will that make life easier in the long run.
I mean it makes sense as a feature to me, and I certainly hope that it's something people can do (Even if I won't personally, I see the appeal.), I was just noting that we don't actually know if we can do that. Worst case scenario, there's every chance that that is not an implemented feature in Ultimate. But for yours and others sake I hope it is.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
I am actually not a fan of "Challenger approaching" splash screens...
I like them, but I feel that being too attached to them doesn't allow for narration (and I was glad to not have them in SSE)

One idea I had :
- Spirits mode is a wall of "Cages" (reminding of Assist Trophy Hell), one for each character (even unlocked at base, to give more durability).
Once you select the fighter (his silhouette), fade to black, and CGI cutscenes play. They lead to different ordeals, be it Target Smash, baseball, etc. You have to win like 2 to three challenges to achieve each "mini-campaign". Then at some point in the middle of a cutscene, you would have ominous music start playing, characters looking around, and BAM, challenger appears, and you have to fight him.

- Ex : Ridley. You control Samus in a 1v1 against Dark Samus. Then you meet Mario and Mega Man, and Samus reveals her identity. You then control ZSS in a Target Smash or whatever for them to "acknowledge" you. Once done, you get back in the suit, and get in Ridley's lair. Maybe fight random villain team with Mario and Mega-Man as allies. The reveal trailer starts playing. Then you fight Ridley with Samus, 3 stocks.
Then cutscene, end of the reveal trailer with Ridley's Final Smash and ZSS coming out of the smoke to beat him. Then you play 1v1 with ZSS against Ridley in Giant/Metal/other form.
Once defeated, Final cutscene, and Ridley joins the roster.
Rinse and repeat for each character.
Looks like Classic Mode with CGI cutscenes, but kinda feels amazing to me. I can't bring myself to expect a full-on campaign like Subspace (and admittedly it has problems, with some levels being pretty uninspired... But the interactions, god !), with that many characters. Mini-scenes feel more doable.

- To get echoes you could have them duel their OG fighter. Ex : To get Lucina, you control Marth and beat her in 1v1 3 stocks, then control Lucina and need to beat Marth with the same ruleset. Simple but would allow you (and force you) to experience and find out which one you like most.

Obviously, other options would exist, like every 10 matches you unlock a random character by fighting them, amiibo unlocks, etc.

How would you feel about that ?
It may be pretty long, but I loved Subspace and it was kinda long too.
As long as you have other methods, I feel like people wouldn't complain as much. And of course you could still play the Spirits once again after the characters are unlocked, so no biggie.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I am actually not a fan of "Challenger approaching" splash screens...
I like them, but I feel that being too attached to them doesn't allow for narration (and I was glad to not have them in SSE)

One idea I had :
- Spirits mode is a wall of "Cages" (reminding of Assist Trophy Hell), one for each character (even unlocked at base, to give more durability).
Once you select the fighter (his silhouette), fade to black, and CGI cutscenes play. They lead to different ordeals, be it Target Smash, baseball, etc. You have to win like 2 to three challenges to achieve each "mini-campaign". Then at some point in the middle of a cutscene, you would have ominous music start playing, characters looking around, and BAM, challenger appears, and you have to fight him.

- Ex : Ridley. You control Samus in a 1v1 against Dark Samus. Then you meet Mario and Mega Man, and Samus reveals her identity. You then control ZSS in a Target Smash or whatever for them to "acknowledge" you. Once done, you get back in the suit, and get in Ridley's lair. Maybe fight random villain team with Mario and Mega-Man as allies. The reveal trailer starts playing. Then you fight Ridley with Samus, 3 stocks.
Then cutscene, end of the reveal trailer with Ridley's Final Smash and ZSS coming out of the smoke to beat him. Then you play 1v1 with ZSS against Ridley in Giant/Metal/other form.
Once defeated, Final cutscene, and Ridley joins the roster.
Rinse and repeat for each character.
Looks like Classic Mode with CGI cutscenes, but kinda feels amazing to me. I can't bring myself to expect a full-on campaign like Subspace (and admittedly it has problems, with some levels being pretty uninspired... But the interactions, god !), with that many characters. Mini-scenes feel more doable.

- To get echoes you could have them duel their OG fighter. Ex : To get Lucina, you control Marth and beat her in 1v1 3 stocks, then control Lucina and need to beat Marth with the same ruleset. Simple but would allow you (and force you) to experience and find out which one you like most.

Obviously, other options would exist, like every 10 matches you unlock a random character by fighting them, amiibo unlocks, etc.

How would you feel about that ?
It may be pretty long, but I loved Subspace and it was kinda long too.
As long as you have other methods, I feel like people wouldn't complain as much. And of course you could still play the Spirits once again after the characters are unlocked, so no biggie.
Your take on Spirits sounds very similar to Event Matches.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
Well, now that you mention it, yeah, sort of.
It also does look like Classic Mode, though.

But CGI cutscenes.
Give me fun scenes to watch and fun challenges to beat and I'm in !

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I just wanna take this opportunity to say once again: WE DO NOT HAVE TO UNLOCK A SINGLE STAGE. WOOOOO.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
But how would you feel if you had to unlock every alternative skins ?

And if you had to unlock game modes ?
What if only Smash and Spirits are playable at first ?

So many ways it could go wrong, and yet I am so calm and sure it will go so very right...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
But how would you feel if you had to unlock every alternative skins ?

And if you had to unlock game modes ?
What if only Smash and Spirits are playable at first ?

So many ways it could go wrong, and yet I am so calm and sure it will go so very right...
Well... I don't care about other game modes, so that wouldn't be the worst. XD

I'd be very surprised if alt skins had to be unlocked as every fighter needs 8 options, but I actually wouldn't be opposed to unlocking a few of the more interesting alts beyond the base 8. Unlock female Corrin? XD

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
Oh, yeah, totally !
You would need to unlock Female Robin, Female Corrin, Male Wii-Fit Trainer, all 7 Koopalings and Inklings, etc.
And since we know for a fact that some characters (Ridley, probably Yoshi) have more than 8 skins, you could have even more unlocking to do !

Though I do think we will get alt-skins packaged into DLCs, or even as free DLCs (like Mario Tennis Aces gives free DLC characters)

Worst case scenario would be having an unlocking challenge too hard.
When I think about Brawl, there are 2-3 challenges on that wall (I refused using the hammers) that were sooo hard (Cruel Smash (sorry if not the actual name, I played the French version of Brawl) and beating Smash Boss in Ultra-Mega-hard, for example).

If the reward locked away behind those panels had been being able to play my main I would have raged my way to another universe...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Not gonna lie: once I have all fighters and stages, the effort stops completely. I don't have all custom moves in Smash 4, and I definitely haven't unlocked most of the stuff hiding behind the blue glass. I'm sure Brawl was the same. I made a decent effort in Melee since I was younger and more into that kind of stuff. I did slowly and steadily farm character trophies by using every single one in the adventure modes.

Primid

Smash Apprentice
So do you guys think Story Mode will be the fastest way to unlock everyone? Cuz I'd prefer just to play the main Smash mode day one, but I'd like to have more characters to choose from...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If it's possible to unlock everyone in a reasonable amount of time in VS mode, I'm going to go that route. It's gonna be a weekend of Smashfests. Ain't no one got time for single player modes!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It better have a lot of modes it didn't explore games and more enough

But yea this is what I speculated by streamlined

The same way you unlocked characters in subspace emissary

But I hope there's lots of modes to unlock characters

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If it's possible to unlock everyone in a reasonable amount of time in VS mode, I'm going to go that route. It's gonna be a weekend of Smashfests. Ain't no one got time for single player modes!
This.

I just want to play SSB, not spend time tweaking stickers of characters to slap onto other characters to slap onto the character I'm playing.

Top Bottom