• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: Sonic compared to Wario in terms of mindgames

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
What are your thoughts on this? Both are some of the best for mindgames. Belowe is general opinion I have formed by watching Sonic vs *random character* videos. Take note that it's intended as a discussion starter, not an end to anything.

Most people seem to stand still while waiting for Sonic to come to them, then they shield/dodge/jump/counter attack/other way of evading when Sonic starts an attack from seven meters away. Then Sonic follows up with more attacks right away, or gets pwned away and starts using an attack again.

Of course, that's VERY rough, and VERY basic, and matches don't always play out like that. But it's one scenario that seems to happen over and over again in Sonic matches. I guess people just give up on catching up to Sonic and just wait for him instead.

Wario matches seem to end up in clashes a lot more. With people beating each up close range it's easy to be unpredictable, at least compared to charging up a spindash 7 meters away.

Also, what are your views on how the metagame will progress for Sonic? I know many aren't that good yet, so maybe that's why I see so many bad Sonic players in random YT videos. For now though, I would give the edge to Wario. His moves are naturally weird, while Sonic' moves seem to be more related to your playstyle.

Take note that I don't have anything personal against Sonic, I think he's a cool guy and I'm considering maining him. Post your thoughts/corrections/watever.

For the sake of memories I'm editing this post. I might also use it as a source of information to prove my claims to people at a latter point. The thing is, I recently gotten interested in a certain field which a certain organization I once read about in a book is heavily invested in. Yes! I have been interested in this since early September. Too bad I didn't think of saving this earlier in september, but that opportunity has passed unfortunately.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Most people seem to stand still while waiting for Sonic to come to them, then they shield/dodge/jump/counter attack/other way of evading when Sonic starts an attack from seven meters away. Then Sonic follows up with more attacks right away, or gets pwned away and starts using an attack again.

Of course, that's VERY rough, and VERY basic, and matches don't always play out like that. But it's one scenario that seems to happen over and over again in Sonic matches. I guess people just give up on catching up to Sonic and just wait for him instead.
ooor Sonic can fake the whole approach thing and cancel his moves lol.

Run > SD > shield cancel
Run > ASC (aerial down B) > shield cancel
Spindash > instant d-air
Run > stop+empty sh
Run > shield(grab)

that's not even close to all his 'approaches'/baits
Add in springs, homing attacks, and other move cancellations and you've got the ability to create what looks like an attacking approach, but is actually calling your opponent out to attack first, reversing the roles.

@.@ it's all about movement lol.

J18

Smash Journeyman
^^^what he said.
How can any one character be "better" at mindgames than another. They're called mindgames for a reason. Not charactergames.

Tenki

Smash Hero
;_; I thought the thread was going about comparing the nature of their mindgames.

Like how Ike and Ganondorf mindgames usually involve tech-predicting/"forcing" (eg Ike: jab>jab>turn fsmash; Ganondorf side-B+tech predict)

Sonic's mindgames seem to revolve around move cancels (will you roll? will you cancel? will you d-air from spring? etc)

and Wario uh... well, I've only fought one that scared me and alot of what I saw was confusing jump movements.

I think he's a cool guy and I'm considering maining him
lol

I think he is a pretty cool guy. eh kills robots and doesn't afraid of anything.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Wario is a mindgame in and of himself. He's the only character I've ever seen to be able to make me play worse just by taunting me. Like every time I see him taunt my skill level goes down by about 0.001 percent. Not very much, but seriously, he's an awfully mean character. :p

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic vs. Wario in terms of mindgames...

While Wario is a weird character, a GOOD Sonic character has mindgame advantages from the start. By no means am I saying I'm a GOOD Sonic character, I'm just good. Well, anyway, here's why:

1) The mindgames start on the character select screen. (Sonic player picks Sonic, opponent thinks, "oh yeah, this should be easy because Sonic sucks!")
2) Walking with Sonic at the most inopprotune times is the best mindgame in the game. (Sonic player walks slowly, just barely pushing the stick forward, opponent thinks, "What the hell is he doing? Sonic doesn't walk!)
3) Running past people without attacking is also a great mindgame. (Sonic player runs by, opponent is simply confused because Sonic can run circles around his character.)
4) 2 of the Best taunts in the game. (Sonic players uses "You're too slow!!" taunt, opponent can't even argue with that because Sonic is clearly the fastest.)(Sonic player uses "C'mon! Step it up!" taunt, opponent gets mad because a character that "sucks" like Sonic should have no right to be telling anyone to step up with his lack of strength, minimal range, and garbage priority)
5) The victory is a mindgame in and of itself. (Sonic wins, opponent is completely shocked that their Ike, Bowser, DK, Fox, Marth, Pit was outran, outplayed, and outgimped)

And that's the mindgame format of a match with Sonic in it should the player using Sonic be GOOD. You've seen the vids, when Sonic's in the right hands, Sonic's beast and few actually know this.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
MarKO X, I think this has been the best description of Sonic's mindgames I've ever read :D Especially points 2,4, and 5. I couldn't agree with ya anymore!

Also yes, I hate the neutral b as well X...and the jump dair he constantley does across the field...but ya just gotta deal with it and work around it.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
Its pretty epic watching sonic ASC the motor cycle and then watching the cycle fall apart and wario flying away. In mind games I think sonic has a lot more veriety then wario. Sonic has a variety of aproaches and cancel and an incredible airgame also little tricks off the side of the board... wario on the other hand has most of the standard aplyable mindgames but he has that G&W style with instant look movement where wario looks he could be completely random.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Wario's aerial momentum is a mindgame in itself.
Sonic's ground speed is a mindgame in itself.

Air>Ground.
Wario>Sonic.

Take none of this as truth.

You have just been mindgamesd.

Top Bottom