• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discourage to play Bowser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

I'm a noob and I really like Bowser and am thinking about making him my main but after reading through a few of the FAQ's it seems that Bowser is on one of the lower tiers. Now I know this shouldn't be that big of a deal but it's kind of discouraging me in picking Bowser as my main...I just feel that at more competitive levels he won't be able to keep up with some of the upper tier characters. Now I know I'm a noob and am probably a total and complete idiot for thinking this but what are you're guys thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
bowser is a horrible character through and through, if you want to be truly competitive at a very VERY high level of play than using bowser is basically not an option, I've taken out my fair share of high level players in tournament will all bowser, but if you are looking to be competitive and you aren't completely obsessed with bowser for whatever reason, I'd say you should look elsewhere for your MAIN character

still use him from time to time, he is fun!

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Alright. What tier level would you say I stick to for picking a main character that is competitive at high levels of play? I'm thinking Middle Tier and up?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
haha competitive for those ridiculously high levels of gameplay?
top tier. nothing else.
perhaps if you are a prodigy you can use samus or ice climbers

but if you seriously want to be solely playing to be competitive and have the most potential to work with available?

fox/falco/marth/sheik

perhaps peach as well, but i think nowadays peach isn't as viable.

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Alright, now that I think about it, Ihighly highly doubt I'll ever get to that level...so I may just give Bowser a shot. :laugh:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Play whatever works for you!! I suggest that if you want to compete you play a high/top tier character aswell though. Marth is easy to pick up and play, so is shiek. Fox and falco are a bit tricky, but not too hard.

Or play as captain falcon, just because he's so **** awesome.

SoCalLove

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks again for the help! Slightly leaning toward Dr. Mario if it's of any concern.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Like Gimpy stated, bowser is an absolutely terrible character so i guess the only advice i can give to you is that if your not truly gifted in Bowserness.. then you need to pick up a good secondary and don't try and run all bowser...

If your insane like Gimpy or Me, then go for it :chuckle:

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Bowser = worst character ever. But **** he's so fun.

Use Samus if you're a prodigy? I find Samus to be the third easiest character to use behind Sheik and Marth. I'm an IC main. Yeah, they're tough to learn but they are nasty if you use them right.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Doc is a good choice overall, I find him easy to pick up, play, and overall very effective and balanced. He's considered better than Mario, too, but you have to play smarter to be able to land the FSmash, which is stronger but has a short range, or the slow Fair.

But if you're still a n00b NOW... you might want to forget about becoming competitive in Melee. Unless you're a prodigy, you won't really stand much of a chance.. the guys in the highest league have been playing for years and years.
You're better of just using someone fun like Dr. Mario, or, if you're smart, Bowser.
Bowser is all about being played smart.
One of the most fun things ever is playing Bowser vs. Bowser in Lightning Melee. It turns into nothing but a competition of tricking an opponent into walking into your attacks. SO much FUN!

If you want to be competitive, train as much as you can with all sorts of characters, then buy Brawl when it comes out.

Then again, I'm a n00b, too, so my judgment might not be too reliable. *shrugs*

Gojira

Smash Lord
bowser is a horrible character through and through, if you want to be truly competitive at a very VERY high level of play than using bowser is basically not an option, I've taken out my fair share of high level players in tournament will all bowser, but if you are looking to be competitive and you aren't completely obsessed with bowser for whatever reason, I'd say you should look elsewhere for your MAIN character

still use him from time to time, he is fun!
You just . . . .how did you.......you...just but ...I.....cant....believe you just said bowser is bad in high level tourney play.........no high level character has THE F-smash.....you know the one bowser has that is probably the best F-smash in the game XD

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Bowser = worst character ever. But **** he's so fun.

Use Samus if you're a prodigy? I find Samus to be the third easiest character to use behind Sheik and Marth. I'm an IC main. Yeah, they're tough to learn but they are nasty if you use them right.
SAMUS A EASY CHARACTER?!?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT THE CRAP???
Can you Short hop fast fall missile??? Can you do all her recovery's??? Can you Super wave dash every time???? Can you cancel missiles on the platforms every time??? Can you jump missiles then land and shoot another one???
Samus is in the top 5 hardest characters.
MARTH AN EASY CHARACTER?!?!?!?
Wow i could start all over. Me and my friend use to think that, but the higher level you see that Marth with his spacing, edgeguarding, combos, an chaingrabing, he is very to master.....
Marth is in the top 8 hardest maybe top 10....
Hope i helped!

Redragon

Banned via Administration
SAMUS A EASY CHARACTER?!?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT THE CRAP???
Can you Short hop fast fall missile??? Can you do all her recovery's??? Can you Super wave dash every time???? Can you cancel missiles on the platforms every time??? Can you jump missiles then land and shoot another one???
Samus is in the top 5 hardest characters.
the only thing you listed there that is necesary for a samus is recovery, which is super easy, and oscar meyer weiner time, which every samus main can do.

samus is easy.

MARTH AN EASY CHARACTER?!?!?!?
Wow i could start all over. Me and my friend use to think that, but the higher level you see that Marth with his spacing, edgeguarding, combos, an chaingrabing, he is very to master.....
Marth is in the top 8 hardest maybe top 10....
Hope i helped!

Redragon
i agree that marth is more difficult. his spacing is what makes him difficult, not the other stuff you listed, that stuff is easy.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
the only thing you listed there that is necesary for a samus is recovery, which is super easy, and oscar meyer weiner time, which every samus main can do.

samus is easy.

i agree that marth is more difficult. his spacing is what makes him difficult, not the other stuff you listed, that stuff is easy.
Oh so you are saying that playing Samus at a noob level is easy. Then i agree.
mastering Samus is crazy hard though. If you are good then Samus is very hard to use. Try using Samus to her full potential then tell me she is easy lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Listing a bunch of technical doesn't make a character difficult. Otherwise, Fox would be by far the most difficult character to play that only a few select amazing people with fingers possessed by the lightning of Zeus can properly use.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Listing a bunch of technical doesn't make a character difficult. Otherwise, Fox would be by far the most difficult character to play that only a few select amazing people with fingers possessed by the lightning of Zeus can properly use.
Uhhhhh Fox is by far the hardest to master.
Only people that don't know how to use Samus to her full potential say she is easy to use.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think exarch said it best, really...

"Oh and ANYONE can get tech skill. Man when are people going to stop respecting something that's accessible to everyone? Play the Spacies Technically is NOT impressive. Y'all need to get over your nooby awestruck PRETTY BLUE HEXAGON selves and learn to play the **** game. Drephen and Azen are amazing."

Banned via Administration
Uhhhhh Fox is by far the hardest to master.
Only people that don't know how to use Samus to her full potential say she is easy to use.
fox is not the hardest to master you ****ing noobfest. it's EASILY captain falcon with ic a close 2nd.

samus is easy. its basic stuff. spacing + trixies. its just how good you are at those two that determine how good you are at samus. is samus hard to win with? ya. is she easy? ya. you need to learn the difference.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yoshi is probably the hardest.

On the other hand, what determines the difficulty of mastering a character? A brilliant Bowser can theoretically beat anyone, but that isn't so much technical lightning-finger skill as it is sheer mind-work.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This is probably way out of my league to argue about.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yoshi is probably the hardest.

On the other hand, what determines the difficulty of mastering a character? A brilliant Bowser can theoretically beat anyone, but that isn't so much technical lightning-finger skill as it is sheer mind-work.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This is probably way out of my league to argue about.
A brilliant bowser would still be beaten by a, semi brilliant sheik, or fox, or marth, or falco

Tiers exist for a reason people

What you pretty much said was.. "You bowser mains lose because your not good enough with your characters yet" lol

Fawriel

Smash Master
...that's not what I meant.
What I was implying is that Bowser is all about the mindgames and whatnot.. he doesn't have any big fat infinite combos that you need super-fast fingers for. A Bowser CAN beat a technical high-tier character if he manages to outsmart them well enough.
Of course, if that isn't the case, Bowser is thoroughly ****ed.
So what I tried to say is that they require different KINDS of skill to play.

I'm not an idiot. *sigh*

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
...that's not what I meant.
What I was implying is that Bowser is all about the mindgames and whatnot.. he doesn't have any big fat infinite combos that you need super-fast fingers for. A Bowser CAN beat a technical high-tier character If that "soundly" techinical high tier character is brain dead at the time of the match if he manages to outsmart them well enough.
Of course, if that isn't the case, Bowser is thoroughly ****ed.
So what I tried to say is that they require different KINDS of skill to play.

I'm not an idiot. *sigh*
Fixed it :)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Look i've played and beaten technical foxes, and i can agree with you, but if you take a sheik and a bowser of top metagame.. bowser is going to get destroyed

Fawriel

Smash Master
When I said "anyone", it was an exaggeration, of course. I also said "theoretically", which... well, theoretically, a lot is possible. Like a braindead top professional, for example.
Maybe he's called Boozer because he can beat anyone who's drunk. *meditates about this for a while*

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Gimpyfish, if you agree that Bowser is useless in the highest level play, who do you use when you play serious? You are considered pro...

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Gimpyfish, if you agree that Bowser is useless in the highest level play, who do you use when you play serious? You are considered pro...
GimpyFish said:
but if you are looking to be competitive and you aren't completely obsessed with bowser for whatever reason
So far as I can tell its the same reason I used Samus in 64, where she was easily one of the worst.

Bowser is extremely fun to play, and great to shut someone up who trash talks a tad bit too much (and thinks Bowser is horrible). If you want to use someone else to keep up with the sell-outs, go for it, but don't forget to pull Bowser out and give him some love every so often.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well the topest levels of play refers to like... really, the very absolute top levels of play.

like ken/pc/m2k/kdj/whoever else you wanna throw in there, but i think you know who i mean

bowser can be pretty competitive at the next level below that, i took out a fox at the last tourney i went to that got 17th at oc2 with bowser, bowser can hold his own vs most people, but that absolute highest level i mean bowser doesn't really have much of a chance.

he's low tier afterall lol

Kriltex

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is my main, truly because i just love the guy... I used to play that Mario 64 game and i always let bowser live, i couldnt kill the poor guy~ hes just so cutee lol. well yeah anyway just go with whatever character you like the best.. but if its competetive play your lookin for, then Marth is the choice, just spam smashes and you win -.-

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I play as Marth sometimes (ok a good number of times). If I spam fsmashes, I win. If I use his other humongous advantages and try to be unpredictable, I lose. Funny how that works. >_________________________>

Edit cause trying to write sarcastic remarks is hard on the internet. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom