• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disabling Z shield

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I ordered a Triwing screwdriver recently in order to paint my controller, but I started to wonder wether or not it would be possible to disable the light shield with Z. It always annoys me when I try to chaingrab or tech chase.

if it is possible, what do i need to do?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Just in case you don't already know: hitting z during lag of whatever while cause the buffered light shield. So if you learn the ending lags of your attacks, you should be fine. At least I am, and it's not like I was any good at tech skill :)

Oh, wait, I play peach. What's that landing lag everyone's talking about? :D

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm also a Peach main. What's an L-cancel?

Seriously, though, you just have to be more aware of the end lag on what you do. I use to think that JC'ing stopped that, but it doesn't. Just get more frame-tight.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I JC all my grabs though .-.
but alright I guess I'll just practice grabbing more, I didn't think it would be possible to, but I just wanted to check anyways.

dkuo

Smash Lord
In theory it is possible, but you'll need to get into modifying the electronics on your controller. I think at that point you might be dq'd at tourneys for messing with your controller...better to just learn to time your grabs.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I can get dq'd for messing with my controller?

I was gonna mess with it when i opened it up anyways lol.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Possible.

Modify the circuit so that pressing that button (such as if it's looking for a logical high pulse etc... ) sends the logical high pulse for only 1 frame and then opens the circuit again regardless of button position and won't send out a signal again until button is unpressed.

Controllers aren't generally too complicated when it comes to the buttons themselves. This could be accomplished using a flip-flop that "sets" only on the positive transient of the signal that comes in, thus when pressed and going from low to high, it "sets" and sends the signal out, then has a loopback from that output of the flip-flop which feeds a timeslicer which after 1/60 of a second sends a signal to "clear" the state of the flip-flop. Then it won't "set" again until you stop pressing the button, where the signal to the flip-flop goes low again, and then the button is once again pressed.

It will then automatically "unpress" the button after 1 frame (1/60th of a second) even if the button is still held down but wouldn't "press" until you released the button and then pressed it again. Basically, you could do it with relatively few components provided you cracked open the controller, looked at the circuitry, determined what the signal looks like and how it works within the circuit, and then worked a few components into the mix.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
You don't get to get rid of it, you just have to adapt to it. You can JC (or alternatively cc) grab, and be sure to avoid holding Z when you are in any kind of lag.

If you try to grab a heavy character after throwing them, you have more grab lag because of their heaviness and have to wait longer before grabbing. You probably already know that, but I felt it was necessary to share anyway.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Planet piss, what you talkin bout man I just told him how he could specifically do it using electronics... but this WAS a gravedig so you probably just replied to the 1st post without noticing the most recent.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Planet piss, what you talkin bout man I just told him how he could specifically do it using electronics... but this WAS a gravedig so you probably just replied to the 1st post without noticing the most recent.
I'm a necrophiliac like you bro

Also, modding controllers seems a bit... unnecessary.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
oh yea... I don't really even have this problem anymore lol .-.
I found out i was just trying to regrab them too soon...

Top Bottom