• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din's Fire Weakness

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Some of you probably know this but I think it's an interesting thing to point out.

In Melee, Din's Fire ignored priority as all explosions did. But Brawl is different. Din's Fire can be out prioritized by opponent moves making it do absolutely nothing. Not only that, but Din's Fire actually has rather low priority. Especially characters like Wario whose aerial hitboxes cover most of their body can easily avoid Din's Fire in this way. All it takes is a properly timed Nair. It's much faster than airdodging and harder for you, the Zelda player, to predict.

This by no means makes Din's Fire useless, it pretty much just makes it fair for the rest of us. It might not even affect your gameplay but I wanted to point it out to you in case it happens and you're wondering.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
Unless someone gets the timing of these moves down well, I'd guess dodging/shielding and air-dodging would be better than using the n-air. It can be somewhat useful if characters are approaching Zelda as she tries to "explode in front of her" to out prioritize it and hit her at the same time. o.o

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Attacks still have lag, and if they're not using C-stick, they may have to change their DI.

You have those few moments to reposition. Important info, but it doesn't break us.
At most it means the short-range Din's isn't very useful.

Also: We can still blow it up on swordsmen on the opposite side of their swing, right? I think you have to get it so that the blast radius doesn't overlap their weapon, though.

Whiteday

Smash Rookie
Yes, Din's fire can be outprioritized, but it isn't really useful to know. you're better off just airdodging...

also on a related note, if din's fire travels through a reflector, such as pit's side b or any of the starfox characters down b, the fire will not harm them.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
No this doesn't even come close to breaking you. And actually using aerials is almost always better than airdodging because it has a different timing than airdodging and most Zelda players are used to the airdodge time rather than the Nair.

Not every character has an aerial that's especially viable. Almost any move that hits Din's Fire when it explodes will clank or outprioritize it but as long as you get out of the way of the aerial when you activate it you should be fine. Wario is just a really good example of someone who can easily do it because his whole body becomes a hitbox.

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
How dare you say Din's Fire has a weakness! >.>

Unless your timing is perfect, using an Nair isn't a good option for avoiding Din's Fire spam. You'd might as well just air dodge since it's more guaranteed.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Using an aerial to cancel it out leaves you less open than using an air dodge. Context sensitive, of course, but there's not much more embarrassing than attemping Din's at close range and having a single aerial cancel it out AND hit you.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
If two zeldas stand right next to each other, dins fire is too long range to do damage to one another
Just a fun fact

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I hardly ever use Din's Fire. I am a close range fighter so there would be know point using it unless my opponent camps on the opposite side of the stage.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Read what RvokoYaksa says. It's really easy to do for most characters, doesn't take anymore precise timing than airdodging does and has less lag time on the end of it.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I HAVE ACCESS TO MY ACCOUNT AGAIN AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST IN A LONG TIME :DDD

My little brother plays a campy Zelda, and I'm (still) Peach (•'3'). Approaching through Din's fire spam is easy with Peach :D Pull turnip between blasts, charge at Zelda, SH Float NAir (fast ones like in melee :3) the explosions and keep charging Zelda until you're in range to take care of business :3. All of Zelda's ranged game is nullified (as long as you dont try to cancel the Din's Fire's close to the ground while falling~ the blasts will hurt you when you touch the ground, so save your float for that :3.)

Ryokoyaksa, I look forward to fighting (and beating!) your Zelda in Brawl with my Peachy Beastness :3 She's still good despite the noobs in the Peach section :p

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hmm since the range of dins fire is huge(it has invisible hitpoints) i always tend to explode it before it is close to them so that the just run into it but with my zelda i get annoied at just throwing dins fire all the time so i now just use it wen they are recovering which is extremely good for pits or it is a very nice technique to build damage while the other char is recovering even though i sometimes save them from faling:\

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
with my zelda i get annoied at just throwing dins fire all the time
lol i had a 3 stock, 10 minute 1v1 against a snake yesterday.
We just kept throwing grenades and dins back and forth all match

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
How dare you say Din's Fire has a weakness! >.>

Unless your timing is perfect, using an Nair isn't a good option for avoiding Din's Fire spam. You'd might as well just air dodge since it's more guaranteed.
lmao i agree with you 100% how dare he say it has a weakness and ontop of saying such a thing.. continue with what i see as total BS lmao dude the hit box's are huge on din's fire and even if you started nairing id just start using the din's fire to blow up behind you instead of on you.. -__- this is just stupid if you ask me.. air dodging/shielding is the best way to go about dodging it..

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
lmao i agree with you 100% how dare he say it has a weakness and ontop of saying such a thing.. continue with what i see as total BS lmao dude the hit box's are huge on din's fire and even if you started nairing id just start using the din's fire to blow up behind you instead of on you.. -__- this is just stupid if you ask me.. air dodging/shielding is the best way to go about dodging it..
I agree it's risky to try to attack dins, and I'm not in favor of it at this point..
But I disagree saying you would just blow it up behind him instead.

It can't travel THROUGH an nair.. he would hit the dins and destroy it.

S2

Smash Lord
Din's fire weakness?

It's really not as great a projectile as people thought it was. Good players are going to dodge it most of the time. The real purpose of it is to force the opponent to be aggressive. Or to rack up some extra damage on a recovering opponent. It goes a long way for that.

Other uses are basically situational. Like I said, a good opponent is going to dodge and that's much safer than hitting it with an attack.

Except for teams, Din's is massively valuable on teams. Since you can force an airdodge and have your partner ready to hit them when they come out of it. Not to mention cherry picking free hits on busy opponents who cant defend themselves from it. Just be good at not hitting your partner, that pisses people off.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I still highly recommend air dodging over n-air unless your next to Zelda. Like I said, unless timing is amazing on the other players part, Zelda can just as easily delay Dins a bit more to the point that they'll n-air expecting the explosion only to be hit with it earlier or later than they expect. Not to mention that distance also plays a big factor as the blast radius gets larger.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Din's Fire purpose is to damage, pressure and force an approach

Damage if they don't time their Air dodge

Pressure to make them lose their cool :p

Force and approach generally when they shield, after 2 or 3 Din's their shield will be about to break, so they'll have to approach :D

popsofctown

Smash Champion
@Tyr:

you say Din's Fire has low priority, but are you remembering it has variable priority? As the projectile travels farther, it gains priority. My training buddy has figured out one move that cancels Din's, but later in the match at different range he'll be like, what the crap, i didn't get the same result.

nair cancelling against din's is quite psychologically disheartening though, i recommend it.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
If you can consistently nair cancel Din's than it'll mess up the Zelda's psyche for certain, plus your not as open as if you were to airdodge. Like Aeyr said...it really depends on when the Zelda wants to detonate the Din's so airdodging is definitely much safer. It's not that Din's has a glaring weakness, just trying to find a different way to pressure Zelda when having to force approach.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Luigi's nair (aka the god-sex-kick) goes through Din's fire as well. We learned it be accident awhile ago and since then my fighting partner has been using it constantly. Lasts longer then an airdodge and has a counterattack possibility.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
Also Din's cancel almost every other projectile so instead of using nayru's, use din's :p (of course don't use it against something like Samus chrage shot or Ness PK Flash)

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion Dins should only be used to edge guard and attack when an opponet is open and can't dodge. Honestly spamming it is sorta a way to beat people who suck and stall people who actually know how to air dodge. As for using nair no ones ever used it on me and it probably isn't as likely to cancel din's as an air dodge, a I don't think you can cancel dins when it is still moving only when it explodes so what's up with IT CAN'T TRAVEL THROUGH NAIR?. And I repeat from others din's is generally used to force an approach!

Top Bottom