• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dillon's Last Round Up. Dillon the AT (In glorious HD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Aside from the counterpoints in red, there are many examples of guests staying.

The two most notable ones that are Nintendo related:

-Mario Hoops 3-on-3: Final Fantasy's Black Mage, White Mage, Ninja, Cactaur, and Moogle appear as guest players.
They appear again in the spiritual sequel Mario Sports Mix, with the addition of Dragon Quest's Slime.

-Mario Kart Arcade GP: Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, and Blinky appear as guest racers.
They appear again in Arcade GP 2 with the addition of Tamagatchi's Mametchi to represent the merging on Namco and Bandai.
Pac-Man will also appear again in Arcade GP DX with the addition of Don-Chan from that Taito Drum game. It is currently unknown if Mrs. Pac-Man, Blinky, and Mametchi will return, but they likely will.
I think you need to step back and see the whole picture.

In the examples I mentioned, the characters are licensed. The company who owns said characters has no part in development beyond the license. In your example, both parties are involved with the title (in those examples, they are more involved int he production, use of characters and the publishing). Now consider the two alternatives. Which is Smash more like. It would be more like the former. Sega and Konami have no say in the deal beyond the characters. They are not involved in production or publishing. In your examples, the companies are very much involved. So it would be more likely they would be cut. Keep in mind this is a legal issue. The points you made in red are not relevant. Also, remember that it is Sakurai's call on everything. Even if Kojima wants Snake, Sakurai may not agree to roll with it a second time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, the way I see it, fans want Sonic and Snake to remain.

Fan favourites in the game --> Fans are happy --> Better sales --> Developers are happy --> Everyone wins.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Although I would die if Tempo was in there, I think this is the most obvious new IP for smash.

Dillon definitely deserves to be in if any new IPs are added,

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Although I would die if Tempo was in there, I think this is the most obvious new IP for smash.

Dillon definitely deserves to be in if any new IPs are added,
Yep..... Tempo may have more priority considering Gamefreak made Harmokinght.

But Dillon is a first party... so maybe not.

D

Deleted member

I think you need to step back and see the whole picture.

In the examples I mentioned, the characters are licensed. The company who owns said characters has no part in development beyond the license. In your example, both parties are involved with the title (in those examples, they are more involved int he production, use of characters and the publishing). Now consider the two alternatives. Which is Smash more like. It would be more like the former. Sega and Konami have no say in the deal beyond the characters. They are not involved in production or publishing. In your examples, the companies are very much involved. So it would be more likely they would be cut. Keep in mind this is a legal issue. The points you made in red are not relevant. Also, remember that it is Sakurai's call on everything. Even if Kojima wants Snake, Sakurai may not agree to roll with it a second time.
I think you need to stop with the "big picture" crap, since it's a load.
You are right though that it is Sakurai's call. However, because it is his call, it cannot be claimed that they would be unlikely to return simply because "guests never come back" (which had been proven false).
Sakurai has commented that Snake's and Sonic's additions were "fantastic" and made a lot of fans happy, giving reason to believe he would want to keep them.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
That comic reminded me of a thought I've been entertaining lately. I had been thinking about crossovers, and...

I think Dillon's Rolling Western X Star Fox needs to happen. Space western anyone? I don't even care if it makes sense, it'd be amazing.

I find the character designs relatively similar in both and somehow I think this would be a great idea.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That comic reminded me of a thought I've been entertaining lately. I had been thinking about crossovers, and...

I think Dillon's Rolling Western X Star Fox needs to happen. Space western anyone? I don't even care if it makes sense, it'd be amazing.

I find the character designs relatively similar in both and somehow I think this would be a great idea.
That would be a weird crossover.

The idea I always liked was Dillon in a Diddy Kong Racing 2 (there was a rumor about it a while back).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just picked up The Last Ranger.... I don't care what anyone says, it's a good game!

CombustingFetus

Smash Rookie
I'm not the biggest fan of the Dillon games, but I'd be damned if I didn't think Dillon would be a great addition to Smash. He's just an all-around fun character that would add a lot of style to the game.

Western style.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
That seems to be a common sentiment. Honestly I've really enjoyed the first game. Haven't gotten to the second one yet.

As for the Star Fox crossover, you're damn right it would be weird. It would be difficult to get right. I wouldn't want to see Dillon in an Arwing for example. I guess I just envisioned the Star Fox team quickly helping out Dillon during a raid, and Dillon giving them a silent *nod* in classic cool fashion before they part ways.

Not enough substance there for a full game, but I would love to see an interaction like that in a Subspace Emissary-like Adventure mode in SSB4.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've noticed that not many people have played ether game, but would still like the idea of Dillon regardless. I presume it's because of the design having that charm, but in a sense it's kind of a benefit considering that it would make Dillon a decent example of a character that will make people want to play the game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A signature icon for anyone who supports Dillon's inclusion. Made by yours truly.

D

Deleted member

I've noticed that not many people have played ether game, but would still like the idea of Dillon regardless. I presume it's because of the design having that charm, but in a sense it's kind of a benefit considering that it would make Dillon a decent example of a character that will make people want to play the game.
What could be more cool than a silent badass armadillo from the West that will roll and grind yo' shiz up?

.....excluding Nomad. That goes without saying.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The description you provided for Dillon is a pretty straight forward way of explaining it. In fact, I can say it's one of the few times that being a silent protagonist works, because it's treated like a characteristic instead of a subtext thing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So I finally got this game. It is actually a HUGE improvement on the last one. I like the improved graphics and the rangers are great. The rangers really help as you have someone helping you cover more ground. It's nice to have them go save the village while you go help towers. Makes the game more enjoyable overall. And they are all pretty cool.

I should do a quick Dillon moveset.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
First off I want to say I haven't been here for years and am glad that when I come back Dillon is getting some love here. Brings me to tears. I have actually been hoping that he will be in the next smash for a while now and with the release of Last ranger (which I'm enjoying) and the Puzzle swap it has recently got I going out on a limb here and saying he has a VERY good chance of making it just with all the support he is getting from Nintendo. Anyway I'm just going to give my stage idea then come back later with my moveset ideas.

Dillion's Stage: The West Frontier

I believe it should be a flat stage (not floating I mean like the Mario kart stage in a sense) with a Grock path going through the center(This is how the grocks will enter the brawl and interact with the players) also a few platforms above and such. In the background there should be two gun towers with both being a random weapon (Shotgun, Gatling, Cannon, or Long). Now as the match progress Grocks will slowly be going along the path going past the gun towers and getting shot at by the towers. However different Grocks will have different effects on the stage.

I'll list some Grock types now (all grocks can be destroyed by players or towers; also more than one grock on the path):
  • Footgrocks: This will just go down the path and try to get the center of the stage. It will either attack the towers or continue walking. If it reaches the center of the stage where the players are it will pick either left or right and charge in that direction until it goes off screen.
  • Ramgrock- These giant hammer Grocks will only attack towers first after destroying one they will proceed onto path. If both towers are destroyed it will continue to the center and Then do a slam on the ground creating a shockwave then proceed to walk off the stage either left or right. If the Grock is attack by a player during its leaving phase it will get mad and hammer slam the rest of the way off the stage (like in the game if Dillion attacks them they get mad and slam down counter attacking).
  • Motorgroack- These motorcycling grocks are fast and furious. These grocks will wizz right pass the towers taking very little damage. Once it reaches the center it will ride super fast side to side damaging anyone it hits on the stage for quite awhile or until someone or tower destroys it.
  • Goldgrock- Same as Footgrocks but won't attack towers. If destroyed in the foreground it will drop items for the players to use.
  • Bossgrock- These Gaint Red Grocks will travel along the path and be the toughest grock out of the bunch to destroy. Once he reaches the center he will ground pound the ground summoning 5 footgrocks to the stage then proceed to attack players near it as it tries to leave the stage.
Now for the towers and how they will behave:
  • Shotgun- This shot-ranged but powerful gun tower can only shot Grocks in the background but not the foreground. Side-note shot gun towers are the only ones that can defend themselves from a Grock attack.
  • Gatling gun- This mid-range rapid fire gun tower can shoot grocks in the back and foreground. Shots in the foreground can't hurt players but will help get rid of the Grock quicker.
  • Cannon- These slow-firing but powerful towers can only shoot grocks in the foreground. The blast radius will hurt players as well as the grocks. This gun tower can destroy foot & gold grocks in one shot.
  • Long Cannon- This long ranged cannon has a special ability. This cannon will shoot and damage off screen grocks. In other words will do alot of damage to grocks that have yet to appear.
Will continue with more details later in the mean time tell me whether you like or dislike.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I like the concept, but it should be simplified. More focus.

Take a flat stage, with maybe a wooden platforms in the middle. Grocks either come from the background or the sides. They will try and attack players or attack the platforms in the middle. Two towers in the background are cannons which will shoot cannon balls onto the stage. The background will have towers and grocks fighting it out.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I like the concept, but it should be simplified. More focus.

Take a flat stage, with maybe a wooden platforms in the middle. Grocks either come from the background or the sides. They will try and attack players or attack the platforms in the middle. Two towers in the background are cannons which will shoot cannon balls onto the stage. The background will have towers and grocks fighting it out.
I understand your critic but If anything I would want an interaction with Grocks, the towers, and Grocks destroying the towers. Then to have some cameos with the other rangers that will go and repair the towers. I just wanted to give the concept more vareity. Maybe 3 grock types instead. :p

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I understand your critic but If anything I would want an interaction with Grocks, the towers, and Grocks destroying the towers. Then to have some cameos with the other rangers that will go and repair the towers. I just wanted to give the concept more vareity. Maybe 3 grock types instead. :p
Oh no, itt's a great idea, but I think it should be a little simplier. This way, players kind of know what to expect. They may see the standard grocks and know they attack and the red grocks just walk on by. Cameos are fine too.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I actually want him more than some other people now, thanks to just his cool design.

I hope he doesn't become what Issac was in SSBB.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
He's Dillon's partner. I figure he could be Dillon's recovery.
Ok one thing I have to say I was disappointed with in most of the thread regarding Dillon's moves is his recovery... Simply it should be this. ( and if someone did post this I'm sorry I skipped it)

Caution Spoilers from the First Game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PhfbC7B8o&t=15m16s

Russ on his little helicopter should be his recovery. What many people forget is that Dillon and Russ are always together and a team. Heck when you complete a stage the stamp you get says "D+R" next to the stars you get. That not the other rangers that stands for Dillon and Russ. Yes it will be similar to Snake's but hell that should not matter really. Its a well suited move for Dillion's already expansive movepool potential.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Ok one thing I have to say I was disappointed with in most of the thread regarding Dillon's moves is his recovery... Simply it should be this. ( and if someone did post this I'm sorry I skipped it)

Caution Spoilers from the First Game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0PhfbC7B8o&t=15m16s

Russ on his little helicopter should be his recovery. What many people forget is that Dillon and Russ are always together and a team. Heck when you complete a stage the stamp you get says "D+R" next to the stars you get. That not the other rangers that stands for Dillon and Russ. Yes it will be similar to Snake's but hell that should not matter really. Its a well suited move for Dillion's already expansive movepool potential.
That's actually a really good idea for a recovery. If Dillon is in smash 4 I don't expect him to be in the trailer tomorrow, maybe revealed on their future dojo site or as unlockable. Dillon's one of my most wanted characters for smash 4, and he's my pick for a new franchise rep. I'll be a sad little ranger if he's not in these two games.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Has anyone mentioned that Dillon's turret towers could be implemented into his moveset? He could build turret towers (up to a certain limit) on the stage that fire rounds at any opponent who approaches. Would make for some interesting combat possibilities.

To be honest, I think Shulk is the more likely "Wii-and-onwards new francise that is not Wii Fit" representative we'll get, but I think Dillon has a fair chance to appear in SSB4.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Has anyone mentioned that Dillon's turret towers could be implemented into his moveset? He could build turret towers (up to a certain limit) on the stage that fire rounds at any opponent who approaches. Would make for some interesting combat possibilities.

To be honest, I think Shulk is the more likely "Wii-and-onwards new francise that is not Wii Fit" representative we'll get, but I think Dillon has a fair chance to appear in SSB4.
It would suck if he was 3DS exclusive. I mean, great that he was in, but sucks because I'm not getting a 3DS.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Dillon x Star Fox x Golden Sun

"Djinn, cast Star Wolf and rebuild Tower 7!" "...what"

Also, I don't even know what the hell you guys are going on about with "SAKURAI DOES EVERYTHING ROSTER BASED" - I don't know how people get past the fact that all Smash games have had at least three producers. Hell, after the lease of Brawl was taken up last year, it was revealed that Brawl had over a dozen game designers. Most companies don't even hit half a dozen except huge projects. I also don't even get this big picture argument.

Dillon can totally happen. I don't know about the sales, but it can. I don't really think it will but he's one of my most wanted characters personally.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I think Dillon is pretty damn likely to be honest. New IP, Sakurai digs those, cool character, Sakurai digs those, variety, Sakurai digs that.
Star Fox x Rolling Western? Just yes. Everywhere.

Also, did some snooping. Dillon seems to be on the majority of the charts in smash bingo. I could take this to mean he is generally expected, or not.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It's a good idea and I like what little I know about Dillon but honestly I just don't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom