• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddys glide throw: useful or not?

sunflash

Smash Cadet
Why is diddys glide throw even called a "glide" throw if he cant glide? hwo is this technuiqe even useful? Most of the time it will only be useful if you get attacked right after you glide throw and they'll trip but you'll gain no advantage since youll be recovering from getting attacked, any suggestions on how this may be helpful?

Ghoom

Smash Cadet
Well i like to space my glide throws so that when I lob a naner, i slide into grab range and just do a shield grab. They tend to sheild the naner leaving them wide open for the throw. in they don't sheild, they just got hit with the naner and you can follow up with the throw or something else of your choice.

xilez

Smash Apprentice
I ****ing love glide tossing as Diddy. Reverse GLide Toss Is such an amazing mindgame and combo tactic

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I ****ing love glide tossing as Diddy. Reverse GLide Toss Is such an amazing mindgame and combo tactic
well, a regular glide toss yea, but i dont see how a reverse glide toss will help with any combos.

As for the OP, i'd say either do a reverse glide throw for defense, either throwing the banana down or towards your opponent while gliding away. You can do the reverse glide toss down when you want to be both defensive to get away AND at the same time in an offensive stance. if they were to approach you and slip on the banana, you are ftilt/studder step'ed fsmash/SHfair range away from them. OR, if you are somewhat close, you can normal glide toss towards them so you are ftilt/grab/dsmash. I didnt include fsmash in the regular glide toss because its not very likely you'd be able to get one off in time before they rolled away.

Guildenstern

Smash Apprentice
You can dodge while running. Both backwards and forwards (to dodge forwards, first you have to let go of the stick so you can quickly tap it forwards again).

So, since you can dodge while running...this means that you can Glide Toss while running.

The mindgames abound.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Glide throw refers to cancelling the initial frames of your roll with a C-sticked item throw, in Diddy's case bananas. Basically, shield, then hit L/R on the control stick and immediately after hit the C-stick L/R. What this does is make Diddy (or any other character) slide forwards/backwards and throw an item at the same time.

It's very similar to a Melee wavedash. It works well to slide forward and pressure shields as Ghoom noted. The back gliding toss is also nice as a defensive manuever as you can slide backwards to avoid an aerial or any other attack and toss a banana at the same time.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
he does slide when throws, thats why its called glide tossing. and its massively mindgaming, no one expects it.

Nite

Smash Champion
It's useful. I really don't see it as a mindgame. If the person has played Diddy before, they should know all about it.

Anyways, I think it's most useful when glide tossing out of shield. Say Marth hits your shield with an F-smash He's still spaced away from you, so I glide toss the banana out of shield. It'll slide you a lot closer to him and therefore you have more options. Kinda like throwing a banana right next to someone even though they spaced. So shield > glide toss > F-smash or D-smash, etc...

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding? Glide Tossed bananas are one of diddy's best assets, it can set up for alot
of things... if you hit them with it and manage to make them trip you can follow it up with
cartwheel-banana grabs, and continue, if they side step you can down smash or forward smash them
and if they shield you can grab, roll behind and smash etc.

--E--

Smash Rookie
I use a glide toss to close distance or set some distance away from my opponent, also makes it way easy to catch the nana again in the air. If its an approach you can glide toss towards air catch spam another nana and go in for a grab or d-smash.

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
You can cartwheel while picking up the banana peels then glid tossing but the timing must be right for it to work effectivly.

Bakemonky

Smash Apprentice
The main use for the glide toss that I find is that if you get a perfect glide toss off, and hit them with the banana so they fall, you will end up in perfect fsmash position. I usually follow up every glide toss with a fsmash or dsmash at higher percentages.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I glide toss into my other naner alot
I like this idea. It might be a small thing to add to my list of diddy tricks, but every little thing you do to change up your game just makes your playing style that much harder to predict

IDK

Smash Lord
watch n4n3rs play and you decide. he is a banana wh0re. in a good way. it might be page 2 of the diddy character discussion he has a post of the grapevine tourney against meep's luigi. he lost but meep won the tourney so just keep in mind that he's really good lol.

IDK

Smash Lord
you can use it to go into a smash from the throw instead of a dash attack.

Czech

Smash Cadet
Glide tossing is amazing, I use every time I throw a banana. Its great for setting yourself up for an insane amount of combos. Forward glide toss into any smash is also very good it helps get kills a lot easier.

gshock92

Smash Rookie
Since you can glide toss forward and backward, it's awesome for mindgames and either putting some distance between your opponent and you or closing in for an attack-
plus, it looks really cool;)

Top Bottom