• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #3~ Luigi

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Me, I have trouble killing him. I rely a lot on my bananas to land smashes so I usually kill Luigi at around 150%+ on average; I sometimes get earlier kills with dribbling backwards>Fsmash/Dsmash near the edge but its rare.
And it doesnt help that he kills you at 100% on average (I died at 64% from a Fsmash at the edge :()
His edgeguarding game is pretty good and he can gimp you but I actually think its easier for us to gimp him than vice versa.
Still, I always find it frustrating when I camp him to like 120% and then die from a Fsmash/UpB at like 60%
I know Fair is good, especially offstage and against his aerial game but its not always the best answer as as other people are saying.

So what else can I do?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Me, I have trouble killing him. I rely a lot on my bananas to land smashes so I usually kill Luigi at around 150%+ on average; I sometimes get earlier kills with dribbling backwards>Fsmash/Dsmash near the edge but its rare.
And it doesnt help that he kills you at 100% on average (I died at 64% from a Fsmash at the edge :()
His edgeguarding game is pretty good and he can gimp you but I actually think its easier for us to gimp him than vice versa.
Still, I always find it frustrating when I camp him to like 120% and then die from a Fsmash/UpB at like 60%
I know Fair is good, especially offstage and against his aerial game but its not always the best answer as as other people are saying.

So what else can I do?
USMASH, seriously any Luigi that can't properly DI out of it (and I don't think they can ALWAYS DI out of it) you need to abuse it.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
I end up using fairs/ftilts/utilts/uairs for kills. Fair gets kills more offstage, but almost every other kill move is fresh for me, since i usually just abuse usmash and d-tilt in this matchup. The best place to kill is when he's on the edge, EDGEGAURD!!!. Gimp him, hit him with bananas to stop his ledge get ups and fair again. And just for racking up damage, follow up glide tosses with dash attacks and u-smashes.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
exactly!! there is no way a luigi should make it back to the stage without receiving at least 30%+. fair ***** green missle, and its so easy to punish
grab the edge and force him to tornado up and above you, that is another uair bair or potential dair that you can do to him

DFEAR

Smash Hero
exactly!! there is no way a luigi should make it back to the stage without receiving at least 30%+. fair ***** green missle, and its so easy to punish
grab the edge and force him to tornado up and above you, that is another uair bair or potential dair that you can do to him
i would always convince myself fair trades hits with these type of moves :[ (maybe we should create an fair topic lol)

Player-1

Smash Legend
it's not uncommon for Luigi to nair your out of a usmash, you can just uair him out of the nair at low percents though, and then just keep juggling

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I put the matchup as 65-35 according to all the posts in the thread. u can keep discussing as u wish :3 it'll help me alot. (i still dnt think it should be that high at all honestly)

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've figured out this matchup but it's still bad. Spam glidetoss backwards placing the banana in front of you and luigi can't approach at all (that is assuming your shield isn't low so he can nair you from above.) but yeah, block the fireballs, uair OOS if he bairs on your shield, and fair occasionally to get him away. tbh, it's still a really bad matchup but this completely stumps his regular approaches.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Don't worry diddys. This matchup is in your favor, just ask darknid!

But in srsness I wanna play some good diddy mains at genesis if any of you are going.

Top Bottom