• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #2~ Captain Olimar

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I played Oli quite a bit, but for some reason I stopped playing him. I'll maybe pick him up again when I get back on Brawl in the Fall.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Yep this is definitely a tough match-up for Diddy.

Getting pass the pesky pikmin throw, which blocks the nana game, forces Diddy to have to adapt to very quickly. Also the grab range of Oli is such a nuisance that you end up think ur away from it but grab u anyway leading to death or some combo action for Oli players. And lets not forget about the annoying whistle--->smash attack.

win_ftw

Smash Cadet
i <3 rich browns oli.

but i <3 weruop moar.

then again, i hate olimar in general. thats a notoriuosly bad match up for me.

shadowrock

Smash Rookie
Rich brown plays this match so gay. Its like a wall of pikmin than go for the grab or down smash if diddy gets in. i say its in olimars favor if hes playin.

Deez.

Smash Lord
This matchup is beyond ******** and i HATE IT! the only thing my olimar player does is sit and chuck pikmin and just pivot grabs all day after im in air knocking them off he comes in with an usmash or another pivot grab and launches me the other way. and when i try to gimp him all he does is save his jump and then uairs when hes under stage. then he uses his upb, by that time my invincibility frames are gone and his up b could stage spike me... Wyatt you know who im talking about too..:( and hes not an ordinary olimar player hes actually smart... any suggestions???

TreK

Is "that guy"
hmm kay so I lost to the two olimars I faced today...

How are we supposed to KO this tiny *****y ninja ?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
The only way you should try to gimp him is to fair off stage. ADHD said something earlier in this thread about pikmin spam.

Glidetoss first banana, catch off pikmin and instant throw back, glidetoss 2nd banana , catch off pikmin and instant throw back.

Player-1

Smash Legend
The only way you should try to gimp him is to fair off stage. ADHD said something earlier in this thread about pikmin spam.

Glidetoss first banana, catch off pikmin and instant throw back, glidetoss 2nd banana , catch off pikmin and instant throw back.
and what happens when you miss and you have no bananas...?

TreK

Is "that guy"
yeah I sucked at edgeguarding today... no johns, I gotta train on that. The harder I'll try, the better I'll get... I guess...

Pikmin spam isn't a bother to me, just that pivot grab that doesnt let me get the trip close enough to follow with a smash ; I could only kill him with GT-dash attack-fair, which gets stale quick... Another point to train.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Diddy's air game = Olimar's air game
Diddy's air game = Olimar's ground game
Diddy's camping < Olimar's camping
Diddy's recovery > Olimar's recovery
Diddy on RC > Olimar on RC
Diddy on Japes > Olimar on Japes
Banning Norfair(if Norfair is banned, then go with Yoshi's) > Banning FD
gg

You appraoch through the air, since the little carrot-chucking **** is going to make it rain damage on you. If he tries to fight you in the air, FF+airdodge and rush him with naners before he lands, or grab him. The MFK when you want to fly through the carrots and make him take a hit to the face, this works when you want to use mindgamez and naners+peanuts aren't working against the carrots.

TRY to KO with an aerial when you can't pull off a gimp or when he's hardcore camping. Grabbing works better than a lot of didds' moves in this MU, but still doesn't make nuff` of a sub for naners.

Tried to make a summary of this MU as short as possible, no bs. 3:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Olimar ***** diddy on RC lol. This matchup sucks, I'd say it's fairly even though. Probably 55-45 olimar.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
After fighting dabuz once on RC, and getting him to explain the MU on there, I have come to the conclusion that I don't know wtf to do against an Olimar anymore.

tl;dr version of what dabuz said, if one of the players can hold the advantage from the beginning on the ship, they're going to control the stage up until the pendelumn. That's where the player in the bad position has the opportunity to change the favor of the battle into their favor, if they can't do it by then, most likely they're going to be struggling to catch up the rest of the match or they're going to lose plain and simple.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I cannot beat weruop with diddy on japes. normally, I love japes, and I do perfectly fine. If the olimar gets the lead on japes, he does not have to approach you. pikmin>bananas. It is INSANELY hard to get the kill on a good olimar on japes, no matter how good it may SEEM for diddy.

Deez.

Smash Lord
Honestly like this MU. imo its about even.. it really depends on who the smarter player is and who can react and catch on to the other persons mistakes and habits . I usually run at Oli and either spot dodge or run in and shield and if you know hes gonna grab u can spot dodge the grab and then hes open for a cstick toss, not a glide toss just because he might power shield it and you'll be open. but if you just c stick it you leaver yourself outs and ur safe from being punished. and the cstick throw is a lot faster then glide toss throw. and once you get one grab on oli immediately uthrw him. u should predict most of his landing moves which consist of whistle shield dair or air dodge predict it right and he should take ALOT of easy damage. and rinse and repeat:chuckle:

Top Bottom