• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong in SRK Online Tournament: Match Analysis and Need Help!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
W R2 G1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs DoomSquirrel (Peach)
W R2 G2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs DoomSquirrel (Peach)
W R2 G3: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs DoomSquirrel (Peach)

Analysis: Game 1 I ran into some combo's that don't really work in live play and I hadn't seen before in online play. Made some adjustments that are noticeable in game 2. Game 3 is a huge level weakness for Diddy that I'll be working on this week.

L R2 G1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Oroman (Peach)
L R2 G2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Oroman (Peach)

Analysis: Similar match up as against Squirrel, but used the things I learned against Squirrel here and better. Not so good counter pick stage given that Diddy's biggest weakness is KO power, and the close sides in game 2 on Yoshi even things out a bit.

L R3 G1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs MadKing (Olimar)
L R3 G2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs MadKing (Olimar)

Analysis: Not much to say here, Olimar actually goes about even with Diddy Kong but if I can actually figure out which attack Olimar is going to perform I'm in good shape (I have a lot of trouble reading Olimar). Norfair is a good counter stage for Olimar given his recovery, but I lost a tournament match there a few months ago and worked on my Diddy on that stage. Big things I worked on were: Diddy hump to opposite ledges, peanut trajectory is good, nana from main platforms for higher platforms.

L R4 G1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Zoo (Toon Link)
L R4 G2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Zoo (MetaKnight)
L R4 G3: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Zoo (MetaKnight)

Analysis: Game 1 Toon Link gets ***** by Diddy, just a bad match up overall. remaining matches against MK were close. nana's kills nado is the big thing. In live play I usually don't nana the nado as often as I use RAR'd Bairs. Also figured out that F tilt may also beat nado, assuming this is true this match up just got loads easier. Time was an issue. Good counter pick stage for game 2. Also, game 2 may have been a rule violation, is character OR stage? Shrug, didn't matter cause I'm use to advanced slobs where this happens anyways and I just wanted to have fun. This illustrates the poor performance though for only countering one or the other, YL wouldn't perform much better on a different stage in the Diddy match up and MK on Smashville would just be the same as game 3.

L Semi Finals G1: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Yeb (Snake)
L Semi Finals G2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Yeb (Snake)
L Semi Finals G3: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) vs Yeb (Snake)

Analysis: Game 1 Snake match up is good for Diddy, not to much to say. Game 2 good counter pick stage on Shadow Moses, have since figured out what to do so hopefully next time that will work out better. Game 3 time was an issue, had a small percentage lead with less than 10 seconds, given Snakes strength I felt it safer to ledge stall the time limit. My problem here was that the ledge stall was procedural, I wasn't reacting to what Snake was doing. A roll at the end would have sealed the victory, yet I didn't because I was just focusing on stalling, adjustment made for now on.

---

So, guys, I need help, what can Diddy do on movement stages where his nana game is significantly hindered? I know some of you don't rely on nana's as much as I do, so how do you approach, how do you think, what do you do, ideas, suggestions, this is the weakest area of my game and help would be much appreciated.

Also, I think Diddy can beat the nado with: nanas, bair, and ftilt. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I haven't watched all of them yet, just the peach ones. So I'll back to you on feedback, but I have to say I lolled at the banana throw to footsool jump on peach's 2nd death on the 2nd match =p

Player-1

Smash Legend
The first peach, on smashville, he started floating by the stage, and you jumped down and threw a banana and footsooled him, made me laugh =D

Player-1

Smash Legend
Okay, I FINALLY got done watching them all. I saw two things that could have been improved. 1. was that you weren't short hopping into a combo enough, you were just doing a regular jump, maybe thats what you were trying to do, but I would work on that more. 2. the 2nd thing i saw got lost in my brain between the MK matches and Snake ones =p. Judging about how you played when i faced you yesterday, I'd practice keeping those banana's away from the speed characters, but you did fine with that in the videos. Nice job though.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I already watched these on SRK, can't really give advice though since I don't play Diddy, I watched them mostly to see how the MK and Snake did.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I don't know if there was controller lag or what, but you need to practice with Diddy more. Your competition wasn't so good...I watched you play in some videos and after you did certain things, you didn't follow up with the next thing you should have. You need to use your neutral air more. It extends and creates air combos. You don't dash cancel into the right attacks. If you play with Diddy a lot you will learn where your opponents will be exactly and be able to continue straight into a combo(unless they air dodge). Use the peanut gun as a distraction...like if they are recovering, shoot some some peanuts then go out and spike them or something. It's very useful.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Disagreed ^, I saw plenty of follow ups, but like I said you could have got them more if you short hopped instead of doing a regular one

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Noir is right partly, what your missing is that this is online play and with the lag I'm usually pressing buttons 2-3 times to make sure they take as soon as possible, and that includes the jump button. Its just difficult as hell to do short hops online after the dash attack simply because I want to do the short hop as soon as possible, and that means spamming the jump button, which in turn means that I'll likely hit it for a full hop. Its the same problem with RARing, in online play, its just hard as hell to RAR because of the lag screwing up the timing.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Plenty? You should have seen a follow up after EVERY time. Not plenty of times.

Again disagreed, as they get higher and higher percentage the knock back gets higher and higher, which gives your opponent plenty of time to Fair or Nair and with people with deadly ones like Peach or ROB then you want to be more careful.

AZ: I see what your saying about the lag, but if it isn't too bad then you really need to press it once and just trust that you Short Hopped, whats the point of trying to short hop if you know your not going to do it?

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Again disagreed, as they get higher and higher percentage the knock back gets higher and higher, which gives your opponent plenty of time to Fair or Nair and with people with deadly ones like Peach or ROB then you want to be more careful.

AZ: I see what your saying about the lag, but if it isn't too bad then you really need to press it once and just trust that you Short Hopped, whats the point of trying to short hop if you know your not going to do it?
You live in GA? Who are you?

Force

Smash Apprentice
i'd say not even worry about two bananas on constant moving stages (IE, rainbow cruise). Just stick to one and use it mainly to open up for an immediate smash of some sort. Two bananas seem like too much of a hassle on that particular stage

not bad diddy though, you messed up sometimes but its hard to play diddy online. its so frustrating to do those full hops when you want to do short hops (I know that pain very well).

i think ill finally be able to record tourney vids at a tourney im going to tomorrow, so soon you guys can critique my diddy too, cause I know i need it.

Edit: This is GameDragonX on my friends account. for some reason i can't log out of his name

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
It seems like your only actual approach is to throw a banana, dash attack, and go into either Up-smash or an aerial. Over and over and over and over again. Since it's very predictable, why not change up your approach game and do something else? Maybe that could help?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
AZ, I play Toon Link and I've always felt Toon Link has the advantage in the matchup...If you have time, head on over to the Toon Link boards and check out the matchup thread. Post any advice/information regarding the matchup if you can. It's appreciated. :)

Scala

Smash Ace
Glide tossing. Do it. It'll make your diddy game 200% better.

And start Z-Dropping. I'm gonna start preaching Z-Dropping like the messiah is coming back until I start seeing/hearing about people using it. It's like one of the best things ever.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
after finally experiencing it in a tourney, diddy on rainbow cruise is indeed a daunting task. worse than i thought it would be. At one point, i was down a complete stock. What brought me back was comboing the crab out of the person and using a banana to open up for fsmashes.

theres a vid of my set vs a ROB, which includes a rainbow cruise match, in that new thread i made for feedback

/shamelessadvertisement

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Jesiah: responded to in Toon link forum.

And yea, mangz, I gotta figure it out on movement stages. I think I'm just gonna copy those japanese Diddy videos and rely on humps/fast falled air attacks left and right.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Is this really a who are you argument?

Come on guys, we all play Diddy, we need to band together our character is vastly underrepresented and under appreciated.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2

Come on guys, we all play Diddy, we need to band together our character is vastly underrepresented and under appreciated.
band together? pfft, who cares. more importantly, who are you? AlphaZealot? sounds like some street fighter type name. You played smash before? (lol)

you got anymore tourneys coming up AZ?

Player-1

Smash Legend

Yeah, but he asked...besides I'd like to know if i knew this guy in real life or from somewhere else so we can band together and....uhhhh...do something....okay I'm losing my excuse....

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Don't know what GPC (Georgia ******* Crew?) because I'm new to competeitve smash
Georgia Perimeter College. Do you know who fullmetal and desu is? I play with them

edit: Also it's not an argument. The more people the play with the better. Also I haven't met another Diddy player in GA, so we could help each other out.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shrug, meta does much worse against Diddy in live play where you can actually space RAR'd Bairs and Ftilts.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Shadow Moses was a counterpick?

Gah, that level is a definite ban ><

And Metaspamming is a perfectly viable strategy. There is nothing 'cheap' in tourney play (That's scrub talk).

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
I give props to that Snake player CPing Shadow Moses knowing that Diddy lacks vertical KO options. So far thats the only match I've watched I'll check the rest later.

Top Bottom