• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you stick with your first main?

wangsterbaiter

Smash Cadet
I didn't. I used to main G&W before I started playing competitively. Then I switched to Sheik. So I guess you could say she was my first "true" main. I've played with her ever since, playing and switching secondaries from time to time.

The 2t

Smash Apprentice
Sort of. I stuck with Link at first when I was learning years ago but eventually ended up picking up better characters when Link started to feel limited.

For me, since I don't really go to a lot of tournaments these days and just play with the same group of friends, we found that it can get kind of stale after a few hours of playing the same character over and over, so it's nice to be able to switch it up and play different matchups to keep things fresh. These days I still play Link sometimes for fun but I also play Sheik, Falco, Fox & Falcon. Not really sure who I'd call my main. Was maining Fox for a time, but then I started getting the best results with Sheik for quite a while but now Falco is starting to emerge. I don't really care as the scene here is fairly dead so I'm not exactly training for a tournament or anything like that, so I just rotate characters every few matches and that's pretty fun.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Falco has always been my main, for forever, in both melee and brawl, when I played brawl casually lol

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I started Melee with Link and Roy as my mains. Yeah that didn't last long once I started learning the competitive game.

D

Deleted member

I started with Falcon, stay with Falcon.

With Link and Luigi being my secondaries though.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yup, Played Link first, played Link always. I have a sheik and fox though because they are really fun characters to play.

And I found that a character doesn't get stale as easily if you are always looking for new ways to play that character, and since each match up is unique you should have a long road ahead of you before you fully figure out your character or stale them out.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I switched a lot as a casual player, from kirby to link to roy to marth. Then when I picked it back up with friends, and they started playing a bit more competitively, I switched from marth to doc, because playing marth was pissing off my friends haha. Their tech skill was so much better than mine, but I just sat there and f-smashed, and since they were just starting out competitively they didn't deal with it well.

Basically, switched mains a lot haha

Kaeon

Smash Cadet
The effectiveness of Falco's F-smash + Dair against CPU's were unparalleled back in the day. I stuck with him when I began learning competitive aspects and I main Fox beside him, although I'm not the greatest with either. Falco lives on tho

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I started with Young Link. I stopped to play Marth for a long time. Now I say I main, Mewtwo, Mario, and Young Link. Out of all of those, I've been playing Mewtwo the most though.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
I started with Marth, but then I switched characters for my first year and a half of competitive play, but then ended up coming home to Marth.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Fox in SSB Falco in SSBM then Luigi then Captain Falcon then Fox then back to Falco and now I don't know what the **** I'm doing

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
When I was casual I played as Roy until I beat Giga Bowser with Jiggs and then Peach, years later I lost my disc and played Brawl and forgot my mains in Melee, until I played competitively and oddly enough play Peach/Fox...So I stuck with my main unintentionally.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I think most people that started playing this game when it came out or in 05' or 06' when the competitive scene really kicked in got tired of their main after around the sixth year of playing melee lol.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
The first time I ever played SSB I played as Link because my older brother did. For a while he was my main but when I tried other characters I found Captain Falcon and have stuck with him since.

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
I mained Kirby in Smash 64, which translated to Melee. After a long break from Melee I had, which was spent on Brawl, I came back and started again as Roy. Roy is just a trashy Marth in my eyes, and I hate Marth now.

Then I started playing Ness after discovering the yoyo-glitch, and continue to play him today. I can land that damned glitch pretty well now.
But my newest and permanent main is now Samus because of how great she is in every way.
Ness is still the man though, and I consider myself a Samus/Ness Main.

:nessmelee: :samusmelee:

kevdbeast

Smash Rookie
Started with link,and still my main,he has close and faraway moves,which is my style of gameplay,I'm pretty good with him,kick ganondorf's ass every time in lvl 9

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Started out playing Marth because he had a sword... No seriously that was literally the only reason. Then switched to Falco but was getting frustrated with his recovery and side-b SDing off the stage (oh those were the days). After that I briefly played link and Samus; link because I thought he was awesome and Samus because my friend played him. It was around this time that I introduced to the more competitive side of Melee and saw a video of Mango vs Mew2king and promptly switched back to Marth. Because of my inability to choose a main however I went through a phase of trying to main EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER for a short time. Then I shortened that to about six characters (Marth, Falco, Fox, Puff, Mario, Samus). That, obviously wasn't working out so I decided to stick with just Marth and playing the spacies on the side. However, after a fairly series of fairly bad performances (long drawn out series of being crushed by the same friend that mains Samus where he would routinely 4-stock and 3-stock with just about every character but mewtwo, pichu and kirby), I decided that Marth just wasn't the character for me (foolishly blaming the character for my lack of play ability). However, I noticed that my Fox was doing better than my Marth ever was. I even took a game off of his Jigglypuff! (If you knew our history you'd be gasping in astonishment... I'll give you a moment), but the journey to choosing a main was just not there. I decided that I didn't like how difficult it was to play fox consistently so I gave Falco a try again and it worked wonderfully but I felt bad about "abandoning" Marth. Then I saw that there aren't that many top level Marths nowadays (with the exception of a few) and that propelled me into choosing Marth as my main yet again because I wasn't ready to give up on him. Now, I'm trying my hardest to keep only him as my main but the temptation to play ten other characters is still there; I know I need to stick with him though. I expect great things from my Marth in the future.

Oh, I've only been playing for 2 years. Not even 2 years with some competitive knowledge but like two years since I first saw melee being played, period.

Whew...

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I started with Ice Climbers. Stuck with them for several years, then switched to Falco. Started switching back to Ice Climbers late last year.

So in the end, yes.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I played a lot of casual but eventually sticked with Samus as my casual main. When I got in to the competitive scene, I started to play Sheik for a year or so before returning to my old casual main Samus.
She fits my way of playing the game and feels so natural.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
No. I got this great idea in my head that instead of playing a high-tier character, I'd make it 127x harder on myself by playing Mr. Game and & Watch and getting owned a lot more.

stickmantankguy

Smash Rookie
No. I got this great idea in my head that instead of playing a high-tier character, I'd make it 127x harder on myself by playing Mr. Game and & Watch and getting owned a lot more.
Some of G&W's aerials are nasty as hell man. He also owns one of the only moves that start on the very first frame, his up-B. I know it isn't a killing move, but it's something to think about. The only other moves that start on frame one are the shine and the rest.

G&W's oil panic is pretty interesting too, considering it's power is proportionate to that of your opponents projectiles. One day there will be a successful ness and G&W team that uses the oil panic + PK flash oh so well. It'll happen, maybe.

His side B is also unique because of how lucky you gotta be. I also enjoy studying the rules of how it works, it's pretty interesting, and a potentially match-turning last resort.

With all of his disjointed hitboxes, and unique B attacks, one would think he would be up there on the tier list. But alas, his lack of L canceling on 3/5 of his aerials really seems to shut him down. And when I say shut him down, I mean that it makes nobody want to play him, which in turn results in him falling down on the tier list.

His uair is negligible in my opinion, which means you don't have to worry about it not being L-cancelable. His dair is pretty useful, and is apparently a meteor smash on one of the hitboxes. As long as you land the right hitbox, then you shouldn't worry about your opponent punishing you for lack of L-canceling. The same priniciple goes for the nair, which is objectively the best nair in the game. It's like a ****ing shield of it's own, and has fantastic knockback!

He also has crazy tilts. Up tilt is so spammable and down tilt has unique range and good knockback.
In the end, g&w is a pretty okay character, and is by far the most underrated in the game.

I go on too much about things :| :gawmelee:

Monib

Smash Cadet
Started off with Doc, because honestly, who doesn't like a good punch to the face? Eventually falco's foot replaced Doc's fist.
I kind of use sheik and fox and marth, but yea.
Falco.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Ness has been my main ever since I discovered that big-headed loser. Played Samus in 64, but now I play Ness in all the games. Project M Ness makes me sad though. DJC you just aren't the same. *sadface*

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Some of G&W's aerials are nasty as hell man. He also owns one of the only moves that start on the very first frame, his up-B. I know it isn't a killing move, but it's something to think about. The only other moves that start on frame one are the shine and the rest.

G&W's oil panic is pretty interesting too, considering it's power is proportionate to that of your opponents projectiles. One day there will be a successful ness and G&W team that uses the oil panic + PK flash oh so well. It'll happen, maybe.

His side B is also unique because of how lucky you gotta be. I also enjoy studying the rules of how it works, it's pretty interesting, and a potentially match-turning last resort.

With all of his disjointed hitboxes, and unique B attacks, one would think he would be up there on the tier list. But alas, his lack of L canceling on 3/5 of his aerials really seems to shut him down. And when I say shut him down, I mean that it makes nobody want to play him, which in turn results in him falling down on the tier list.

His uair is negligible in my opinion, which means you don't have to worry about it not being L-cancelable. His dair is pretty useful, and is apparently a meteor smash on one of the hitboxes. As long as you land the right hitbox, then you shouldn't worry about your opponent punishing you for lack of L-canceling. The same priniciple goes for the nair, which is objectively the best nair in the game. It's like a ****ing shield of it's own, and has fantastic knockback!

He also has crazy tilts. Up tilt is so spammable and down tilt has unique range and good knockback.
In the end, g&w is a pretty okay character, and is by far the most underrated in the game.

I go on too much about things :| :gawmelee:
Oh, I know how good according to myself and other people, but he just lacks the tools that other characters have to win. It's just a lot tougher for me to win than, for example, a fox player. My spacing and reads need to be immaculate.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes. But I might try to learn a secondary. But it's hard to not stick to my main. xD

JKJ

Smash Ace
When i was a casual, Ganon was my man.
I began to get back into it after years of playing G&W in Brawl, and went to Falco because I liked him in Brawl as well. Then I discovered advanced techniques, and I've stuck with Falco ever since. I secondary Fox, Marth, and my Low Tier Main is Mario, with my low tier secondary being Ness. I'm very defensively proud of my Mario, and have taken games off of many players with him. Lol but no, I didn't stick with my main.

Sazen

Smash Rookie
As for me, I tried to main Mewtwo first (lol, I know), since he was after all this super awesome and powerful pokemon in the games. I remember getting beaten by my friend who mained Peach quite often, and pretty soon I switched to Samus. Those were the times when I had absolutely no idea that competitive Smash was a thing. :p

Now when I play Melee I usually pick Marth instead, but I would still consider Samus to be my main in Melee.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i have 'mained' many different characters in my life time

currently ic's

with young link as close second

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
In 2004 I played the sword fighters (Marth, Roy and Link) when I played with my friends or against CPUs. Once I started learning advanced techniques and going to tournaments, I switched my main constantly. Falco, Falcon, G&W, Ganon, Marth, Sheik, Ness... This went on until ~'09 when I decided to take the game a bit more serious and decided to stick to Marth. And then I switched my main to Sheik (because I could take 1 stock more on kels with sheik so it must be a good idea). Then I switched to Fox because everybody is a Fox main, they just don't know it yet.

Top Bottom