• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did anyone Enjoy Tripping Too? (Don't taze me bro)

Renji64

Smash Lord
Sakurai isn't an idiot, he was asked to make a more casual focused game because the wii (and wii sports) brought in a huge flood of casual players and new gamers. Brawl did what it was intended to do, but you guys were not the target market. Love it or hate it it all comes down to money and sales in the long run I guess.
So people don't like tripping who aren't the target audience then who is smash 4 appealing too? it doesn't have it.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
So would anyone else admit that tripping was actually a fun mechanic, and humorous?
Yes tripping was fun. When I played FFAs with my siblings I had the weirdest luck where they would trip much more often than I. We called it the "Lucas Effect", since when I played Lucas they seemed to trip more often (I don't think it's an actual thing but it kind of seemed that way.) I look at tripping as one of those crazy Nintendo game changers that can slightly alter a tide or lead. Bad for competitive and annoying if your trying to be serious, but it could be funny too. I'd rather have it gone for good than be forced on us, but honestly I wish it were a toggle option for when we just wanted a lighthearted game.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
As you can quickly see, the hatred isn't even devoted to the fact that such a mechanic could result in player death in an unfair way.

It's the understanding that, at some point - devs devoted time to the conception and implementation of tripping.
For no describable reason , in the best case scenario.
The other scenario? Maliciousness towards the competitive community.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So people don't like tripping who aren't the target audience then who is smash 4 appealing too? it doesn't have it.
No I was saying Brawl was aimed for casuals and newcomers to the series, not to the competitive scene (but we all know this.) I was just saying it was purposefully aimed at said audience and it did what it was set to do. Smash 4 is trying to appeal to the people who's first game in the series was Brawl and trying to win back some of the Melee fans. We know it was originally was supposed to be 3ds only but nintendo asked for it to also be put on the wii u so maybe they are trying to please as many as possible- again it's mostly about money. I mean they are a business after all.

As you can quickly see, the hatred isn't even devoted to the fact that such a mechanic could result in player death in an unfair way.

It's the understanding that, at some point - devs devoted time to the conception and implementation of tripping.
It probably wasn't a "Ohohoho lets screw over this cult following because idk I feel like it" but more "I don't want the newcomers to be turned off or discouraged by being so easily obliviated online, etc." It just sort of.. was a bad choice in hindsight for them.

Last edited:
It probably wasn't a "Ohohoho lets screw over this cult following because idk I feel like it" but more "I don't want the newcomers to be turned off or discouraged by being so easily obliviated online, etc." It just sort of.. was a bad choice in hindsight for them.
It might have been a bad choice in foresight too. It wasn't advertised on the Smash Dojo before Brawl's release, aside from 1 screenshot where Mario tripped. And Sakurai has been quoted for saying something along the lines of 'I like to make a good prank'

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm not a competitive player. (though I care about competitive play anyway)

I'm glad tripping is gone.

All my friends are glad tripping is gone. And they're in the didn't-even-own-the-game level of casual play.

It's simply a terrible mechanic from every point of view, even in a casual setting the're unfair and punish/interrupt players for no reason whatsoever. Tripping would be basically the equivalent to having item boxes in Mario Kart randomly explode on contact, you're correctly using a basic mechanic that you can't even avoid if you want to play the game, yet the game decides that you have to be punished for doing it right.

It's just not good, man, and I'm actually so surprised such a brilliant game designer as Sakurai ever decided to add it that I'm honestly even kind of doubtful that it was him in the first place.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm more interested in why you keep stating "the real way to play" honestly.

Vital Tundra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vital Tundra
3DS FC
1848-2159-5405
It was funny the first few times. But then it got frustrating. The game is suppose to be fun, tripping then getting smash attacked is not fun. Mechanics like that are really, rookie game design. It still baffle me to this day why Sakurai thought the mechanic was okay to put in the game. Losing control of your character randomly in any game would frustrate me.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm a casual player and didn't like tripping, but I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
I thought this thread's topic was a joke when I first saw it...

But in all seriousness, tripping isn't quite as bad as everyone says it is...I rarely see a trip get punished. Really, the worst part about tripping is how it interrupts the flow of the game. Usually a trip doesn't screw you over in a competitive match.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yes tripping was fun. When I played FFAs with my siblings I had the weirdest luck where they would trip much more often than I. We called it the "Lucas Effect", since when I played Lucas they seemed to trip more often (I don't think it's an actual thing but it kind of seemed that way.) I look at tripping as one of those crazy Nintendo game changers that can slightly alter a tide or lead. Bad for competitive and annoying if your trying to be serious, but it could be funny too. I'd rather have it gone for good than be forced on us, but honestly I wish it were a toggle option for when we just wanted a lighthearted game.
I've also noticed that Lucas trips more often

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316

I don't even really think it was supposed to be an equalizer of skill level, either. In fact, I think I understand tripping, at least why it sounded like a good idea on paper. Sakurai obviously values the chaotic aspect to Smash Bros; 4 player FFA match on a hazardous stage with items where survival against the elements is as important as progression and you constantly have to stay on your toes in order to react to everything around you (like, say, a Mario Bros stage or a Jackie Chan fight scene). In this light, tripping would seem to make sense as a way of throwing another unknown variable into the mix to constantly keep the level of chaos at the point where no one could feel safe or complacent and would constantly be on edge until the match was over.

Granted, it didn't work in practice as well as it did in theory, but I would say that it least had an intended purpose to try and add to the "feel" Sakurai is going for in these matches and not just to rob people of their victories.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Why would you ask if tripping is fun on a almost, if not all, competitive forum

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
"Oh no looks like you tried to dash toward your opponent! Heres a mechanic to stop you in your tracks because you should walk instead of running, its a nintendo game for crying out loud! Slow is our motto!"

-Demon in Sakurai's brain

Top Bottom