• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did anyone Enjoy Tripping Too? (Don't taze me bro)

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Tripping didn't nearly bother me as much as it seems to have bothered other people.

I viewed it no differently then getting hit by a Mr. Game and Watch 9 Attack or Peach pulling up a bomb instead of a turnip.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Also, and slightly unrelated, but this last Miiverse post, Sakurai said Meloetta didn't show up during the Greninja trailer. It actually did, as we found a picture during that particular moment. He lied.
Yes, of course. Since Sakurai "lied" about the Meloetta that appeared for a fraction of a second in a trailer, he could clearly be lying about tripping being gone. Oh Sakurai, you dirty dog.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, of course. Since Sakurai "lied" about the Meloetta that appeared for a fraction of a second in a trailer, he could clearly be lying about tripping being gone. Oh Sakurai, you dirty dog.
That completely misses the point of what I said.

Just to not take what he says without a grain of salt, especially when the overall thing is fairly vague. Do research, don't look before you leap, etc.

Since it's not even confirmed out(but probably is out), we just have to wait till... tomorrow, really. If it suddenly happens to people, I wouldn't be surprised. The fact he was vague means he can get away with making it toggable option anyway. He didn't even slightly clarify Random Tripping was out(the interviewer didn't exactly either, whether because he failed to ask the question a bit more properly or because he didn't actually directly quote the twitter, but paraphrased it). It does not change that the overall interview was vague in some way and never will. And if it still in the game, there's no reason people should be surprised, since they more or less assumed what it was while not staying skeptical since the interview was vague enough for problems to come up. And if Random Tripping is not back, it's not weird either since he could've meant that. Honestly, he said that well before we saw Diddy's Bananas(we didn't even know it was Diddy's at first or the Item), so there's seriously no way for anyone to tell. Plus, Diddy's Bananas themselves cost people more matches than Random Tripping ever did. That's actually pretty well known which is the stronger method to rely on for a win. A random rare event, or a powerful attack.

Dairz

Smash Ace
That completely misses the point of what I said.

Just to not take what he says without a grain of salt, especially when the overall thing is fairly vague. Do research, don't look before you leap, etc.

Since it's not even confirmed out(but probably is out), we just have to wait till... tomorrow, really. If it suddenly happens to people, I wouldn't be surprised. The fact he was vague means he can get away with making it toggable option anyway. He didn't even slightly clarify Random Tripping was out(the interviewer didn't exactly either, whether because he failed to ask the question a bit more properly or because he didn't actually directly quote the twitter, but paraphrased it). It does not change that the overall interview was vague in some way and never will. And if it still in the game, there's no reason people should be surprised, since they more or less assumed what it was while not staying skeptical since the interview was vague enough for problems to come up. And if Random Tripping is not back, it's not weird either since he could've meant that. Honestly, he said that well before we saw Diddy's Bananas(we didn't even know it was Diddy's at first or the Item), so there's seriously no way for anyone to tell. Plus, Diddy's Bananas themselves cost people more matches than Random Tripping ever did. That's actually pretty well known which is the stronger method to rely on for a win. A random rare event, or a powerful attack.
I suppose so. We'll see once and for all tomorrow, like you said. I just assumed he was referring to random tripping since we've seen forced tripping already. But you're right, I probably shouldn't assume while speculating. :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose so. We'll see once and for all tomorrow, like you said. I just assumed he was referring to random tripping since we've seen forced tripping already. But you're right, I probably shouldn't assume while speculating. :)
Makes sense. I think many assume that due to it being the least popular version(you know which one I hate more, and it isn't Random Tripping) overall. It's actually a form of Confirmation Bias. Now, once we did see Bananas return, it was fair to conclude Random Tripping is likely gone. As for whether it is or not, well, we'll see.

I very much hope he pulls a Toggable Option on us. Maybe even calling people out on what it means to assume, in a reasonable way, of course. It'll teach people to be patient and take vague statements with a grain of salt. Also, to note, due to this being a demo, the final version could still have it(or not have it) regardless of the demo. I do think if it's not in the demo, it's fairly safe to assume it's gone for good. Unless we find out it was there, just toggled off. I imagine it'd be off during the tourney. It helps determine it, but as we found out with the Brawl demo, a lot of stuff changed. Albeit, the interview makes the demo's outlook a better nail in the coffin since we already are being told some kind of tripping is gone period.(outside of him changing his mind, which he does sometimes. And that's okay too)

Dairz

Smash Ace
Makes sense. I think many assume that due to it being the least popular version(you know which one I hate more, and it isn't Random Tripping) overall. It's actually a form of Confirmation Bias. Now, once we did see Bananas return, it was fair to conclude Random Tripping is likely gone. As for whether it is or not, well, we'll see.

I very much hope he pulls a Toggable Option on us. Maybe even calling people out on what it means to assume, in a reasonable way, of course. It'll teach people to be patient and take vague statements with a grain of salt. Also, to note, due to this being a demo, the final version could still have it(or not have it) regardless of the demo. I do think if it's not in the demo, it's fairly safe to assume it's gone for good. Unless we find out it was there, just toggled off. I imagine it'd be off during the tourney. It helps determine it, but as we found out with the Brawl demo, a lot of stuff changed. Albeit, the interview makes the demo's outlook a better nail in the coffin since we already are being told some kind of tripping is gone period.(outside of him changing his mind, which he does sometimes. And that's okay too)
I'm fine with a toggable option, or a "Special Mode" type thing with tripping. Really anything as long as its not forced upon the player. And this demo should be closer to final then Brawl's, since the 3DS version is coming out in a few months. Although its not specifically the Wii U one, it would be odd for one to have different mechanics from the other.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm fine with a toggable option, or a "Special Mode" type thing with tripping. Really anything as long as its not forced upon the player. And this demo should be closer to final then Brawl's, since the 3DS version is coming out in a few months. Although its not specifically the Wii U one, it would be odd for one to have different mechanics from the other.
Actually, if one version has it toggable, but the other doesn't have it period, it makes little difference. It's not forced and it actually means one has more options, making choosing between them more fun. One problem I have is that the less exclusives, the less reason to choose one over the other.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'd honestly rather the precious space on the disc go to the, literally, smorgasbord of more attractive features they could implement aside from a "tripping" mode. Terrible, terrible idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Actually, if one version has it toggable, but the other doesn't have it period, it makes little difference. It's not forced and it actually means one has more options, making choosing between them more fun. One problem I have is that the less exclusives, the less reason to choose one over the other.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. The exclusive stages alone are enough for me to be sold, but I understand if others need more then that. I'm hoping the Wii U one will have some some awesome modes or something, since the only other known differences seem to be Smash Run, trophies, and something single player related.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I get what you're saying. The exclusive stages alone are enough for me to be sold, but I understand if others need more then that. I'm hoping the Wii U one will have some some awesome modes or something, since the only other known differences seem to be Smash Run, trophies, and something single player related.
Every little feature counts to me. If people enjoyed it, throw it in. If the feature wasn't always favorable, make it optional. The fact we have more than enough space for toggable tripping and tons of other features anyway means that it as a toggable option is not just feasible, it's plausible, can't actually possible be a bad thing for any player(due to the option), and it'll finally make people zip their lips when they assume stuff a bit too often. Everybody wins. ;)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I never played brawl competitively.

Tripping was the bane of everything, even in a 4 player items on match.

The stakes weren't as high, but it's a real nuisance

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
The reason tripping was implemented in Brawl was so that the momentum will be broken if it get's to much on one player's favor. Brawl was built with the philosophy that everyone has to win, and tripping is the one bad mechanic that came out of that. It may be funny the first time, but when a trip break an awesome combo you started, or it happened and cost you the match on a tournament you compete in for money...
All i have to say is...Tripping is stupid!

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Programmer - "Just make the window for dash dancing really, really small, that way, it will become virtually useless."
Sakurai - "No, we need to completely make the game worse, no half-measures. I know, make the game take a dump on the players at random intervals without warning."
Programmer - "But..."
Sakurai - "Just do it, goddamnit!!"

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I loved tripping. In fact, I've only tripped once. My opponent gathered all the three dragoon pieces, with perfect aim. And RIGHT at that split second, I tripped and avoided the attack. I'm really sad it's gone.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
OP is entitled to his/her opinion without needing chastisement.

That being said, tripping as a mechanic is fine, but random tripping is what I do not like. I've lost matches because of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That being said, tripping as a mechanic is fine, but random tripping is what I do not like. I've lost matches because of it.
Ironically(well, maybe not ironic) the opposite for me. Random Tripping has never hurt me(but saved me), where all forced tripping has hurt me.

I've seen people say that a bit too, so I can understand why people don't mind the random. I think this is why many favor a toggable option, since people can have fun with it(it barely affects a casual match because winning doesn't matter in those, after all), or ignore it during important matches(including in Single Player Mode).

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Tripping was only funny when it came at the expense of your opponent, not so much when it screwed you over though.

Hong

The Strongest
I didn't like it when it happened to my opponents, either. It's not like getting a 9er, where I at least feel rewarded for something I did.

The game just decided to **** on someone's experience and give me a free win. I don't like that at all, much like I don't like the idea of pity SDs.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Even playing with friends, I was not a fan of random tripping (and since none of my friends played Diddy, I never really had to deal with forced tripping). I completely agree with Hong's view. When it happened to you, it was frustrating, but if you got a win due to your opponent tripping, it just didn't feel satisfying.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I commend the OP for enjoying tripping.

For my case and experiences, well, Pit has some of this when the opponent's at 0%:
-F-throw > Stutterstep F-smash on about half the cast. This alone does 29-30% damage if not stale, and it even works on MK.
-F-throw Chaingrab, in which depending on the character, Pit can seal the deal with the stutterstep F-smash for even more damage. DK can suffer about 45% damage right there if performed correctly.

Unfortunately, random tripping has screwed me over so that I couldn't perform it completely. Oh, and you know the worst part? When you're near a ledge, and you want to dash to the ledge so you can edgeguard an opponent or just wanting to ledgecamp in hopes to regain momentum, random tripping happens right there and you either miss your opportunity to edgeguard or you get caught by your opponent. Even random tripping happens when I try to perform a pivot grab. Stuff like that has costed me matches and sets (granted I'm wifi only, but don't bash me for that), and I don't enjoy it.
As for move-based tripping, Pit really doesn't have any tripping-inducing moves except like D-smash at low percentages, not that it'll do him any good. All in all, random tripping is too much of a hazard to me, and should never come back, and shall be glad it won't return.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
The only thing that annoyed me about it was how it was triggered randomly. I would be perfectly happy with the mechanic if it triggered under certain circumstances, like after dashing four times within a short timeframe. I just can't stand it to not be in full control of my character, especially in a fighting game.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
It always sucks when tripping keeps you from comboing someone or edge-guarding them, however it's not nearly as bad as when someone is about to hit you with a smash attack and you trip so you can't dodge it.

SmashBrawl2

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, well maybe time will tell whether they bring it back, i enjoyed it for what it was, i never felt it affected my game....

I wouldn't say there would be a giant revolt, remember: the majority of gamers and consumers will play for fun, they won't even notice it, until someone points it out. Most of the Brawl competitives don't really care, and enjoy the main game as well, so it won't bother them...

Competitive Melee Smash is a niche group of sorts. Not saying there isn't a community that enjoys it, just saying its a drop in the ocean compared to the main Smash Bros fanbase that plays the real traditional Smash Bros, items way so to speak...

Im starting to think he won't bring back tripping, mostly because he's focusing on other things like items and the Amiibo stuff...

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
Playing a game with tripping is like having some sort of speech disorder, you laugh with your friends the first few times but it quickly gets old and eventually makes you angry and/or sad about it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Playing a game with tripping is like having some sort of speech disorder, you laugh with your friends the first few times but it quickly gets old and eventually makes you angry and/or sad about it.
That is slightly insensitive, but the metaphor is understood. Why are some people still speculating if tripping is back? Didn't Sakurai say it was out except for forced tripping?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That is slightly insensitive, but the metaphor is understood. Why are some people still speculating if tripping is back? Didn't Sakurai say it was out except for forced tripping?
He really didn't. It appears that way, but he was very vague in what he actually meant in the first place. For whatever reason. Translation error, even. Could be the fact the person asking the question wasn't terribly specific. Not everybody hated Random Tripping over Forced Tripping, to say the least. So it is vague enough for an easy misunderstanding.

The demo itself does actually seem to appear he really was referring to Random Tripping. But we have yet to see the main game. We won't know for sure till the final copy is out overall. We can only confirm at best what is in the demo, but again, anything can change after all(something he's said multiple times during the development straight to our faces as well, and he was not actually vague with this particular phrasing).

Renji64

Smash Lord
There is nothing good about limited movement or tipping when 1st happened to me in brawl i thought i did something wrong. Then i knew sakurai was not the talented developer i thought he was.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Competitive Melee Smash is a niche group of sorts. Not saying there isn't a community that enjoys it, just saying its a drop in the ocean compared to the main Smash Bros fanbase that plays the real traditional Smash Bros, items way so to speak...

Im starting to think he won't bring back tripping, mostly because he's focusing on other things like items and the Amiibo stuff...
Hello?

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
Back when I didn't get to play Smash so often and I got good at brawl I would be so hype when someone pulled it out in the game room at school.

Then I'd trip and remember why Brawl is a special kind of game that you can love and furiously hate. Actually, tripping is the only thing that made me start questioning Sakurai's intelligence. :p

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
There is nothing good about limited movement or tipping when 1st happened to me in brawl i thought i did something wrong. Then i knew sakurai was not the talented developer i thought he was.
Back when I didn't get to play Smash so often and I got good at brawl I would be so hype when someone pulled it out in the game room at school.

Then I'd trip and remember why Brawl is a special kind of game that you can love and furiously hate. Actually, tripping is the only thing that made me start questioning Sakurai's intelligence. :p
Sakurai isn't an idiot, he was asked to make a more casual focused game because the wii (and wii sports) brought in a huge flood of casual players and new gamers. Brawl did what it was intended to do, but you guys were not the target market. Love it or hate it it all comes down to money and sales in the long run I guess.

Why would a mechanic that punishes you for basic movement be a good thing? It discourages players from approaching the opponent to fight them. Isn't that the point of the game?

Top Bottom