• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamonds in the Rough: The South Team at FC

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm DoH I have been playing mostly shiek recently and I am pretty sure its better then my fox and my samus now >_>. So yeah play it at FC and see what you think.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I have important things to do Jake. Like putting Charmed on DVDs.

And like planning to win.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
jordan is coming now?? what changed his mind?? that loser, if he was just kidding around the whole time, i am gonna give him a huge nuggy or something......stupid jordan

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I don't think DoH would put me on the team even if I did something amazing. Oh well, I will still be there (as long as I find a means of transportation *looks at forkgirl* and I plan on surprising some people. Let's just leave it at that.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Well if you can get the entire Midwest so intoxicated that even you can beat them, then we'll be set Matt. Or if you get them to play characters that they aren't that great with, that'll work just fine.

Kyle Broflovski

Smash Journeyman
Well if you can get the entire Midwest so intoxicated that even you can beat them, then we'll be set Matt. Or if you get them to play characters that they aren't that great with, that'll work just fine.
I'm pretty sure no one would actually expect a Zelda on the team. As for SOS, leave DK to him.

But..... Zelda counters what character?:confused:

I really wish Taj would play for the south. it's unfair that west coast keeps stealing states from us. After all, isn't this THE SAME REGION SECTION FOR ARIZONA?

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Thank you for proving my point exactly. No, I want them to be at their best when I play them. Not saying I will beat all of them, but I know some of them I can beat.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thank you for proving my point exactly. No, I want them to be at their best when I play them. Not saying I will beat all of them, but I know some of them I can beat.
Know is a strong word.

But confidence is good ^_^.

Velox

Smash Ace
^^^ Agrees with the highly underrated Mouf.

Looks like South Team is gunna be Flordia, maybe a GA player (Chad?), and a couple of Texas Peaches.

And Wobbles wonders why he's not as accepted in Texas smash (which I think is false, let's be honest, nobody likes Wobbling)?... West-coasting it definatly isn't helping his case, I'm just saying...

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I would more than welcome Rob's support, but I can't force him to play for me. It's not like last year where we had to wave money in CC's and chu's face to get them to wake up.

Not just Rob, but I'd like to combine with Taj and Forward as well.

artarian

Smash Journeyman
ok betches, turns out i got internet to work again out here in the nowhere region of the bahamas. yup, im just that amazing. anyway, cant wait for all this **** to go down! i want to know whats going on with the south team though, i noticed that forward resigned from captainship of west team, does that mean he and the rest of arizona will be on south team? that would be great. maybe taj, forward, xelic, dashizwiz, and keepspeedn all on a team, not to mention like 5 other people unknown to me at the time, that would be great. i am blabbing mainly cuz i got internet to work finally. unfortunately i dont see too much news. oh yeah, except for 256 people, WTF 10 HITS INTO BBX?!!??! (lol bad joke, but yeah) this is gonna be huge and awesome. cant wait for it. ill be home in 3 days, much smash practice will ensue,. landon, u need to get ur *** down here for some smash. betch

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Dear Southwest players;

Kish Prime originally vetoed the plan to add Arizona, however a thread has been made as a forum to discuss this situation. So far it seems no one from the South is opposed to the addition of Arizona, even if it costs some worthy 'second-rung' players some spots by reducing the available number from 5 to 3. However, I think we all feel that winning as a region far outweighs personal pride, and Taj, Forward, and Wobbles put us one step closer to achieving that. So I ask you all to post here (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108044) to show YOUR support for the inclusion of Arizona on the South team. If you feel you have a shot at making the crew but that is in jeopardy now with the addition to 3 top tier players, but you're willing to make that sacrifice for the team, then please speak up.

Jake13

Smash Lord
DoH, read my post in Forward's thread and you will see that it is not, indeed, a baseless assertion.

I've got brownie points saved up somewhere, Bluezaft. Can I use those?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Jake; there's no warrant for you to say that forward is being hypocritical. You didn't see the arguments in the back room that he gave for AZ being west coast; they're all predicated on California going to FC, as that is where the bond with AZ and WC is. Since no one from cali outside of Isai is going, then that bond is GONE. Also, the bond is clearly fixed on SoCal and AZ. The entire "WC" team at FC would be Pacific Northwest - Washington with some Alaska. There's 0 bond there. It wouldn't even things out to have forward and taj on the west coast team because even then couldn't save the entire team from going 0-3. That means that either way West Coast has no chance at FC. The bond between AZ+TX is far stronger than what the West Coast has to offer, thus AZ swings to South.

Don't talk about issues you have no idea about, and you conceded all of my arguments about the South's underrated link, the importance of past precedent, how TX/FL connection to AZ outweighs Cali's, and the fact that forward actually wants to play for South. Even if he changed his mind, so what? Players should be able to play for whichever region they feel is their home, and this faux West Coast team isn't the region that forward feels at home with.

And you say that the South would want to win without 'hypocrisy' but so far a vast majority of players (especially those who would actually BE on the South crew) actually want AZ on our team.

Why don't you want us to win? Your attitude is bringing this team down.

defsithe

Smash Ace
I used to live in the Valley?!?!?

does that help me out any!?!?
heh
what?? what city?
i nominate gabe too cuz his matches where some of the first ones u got off the hub (u versus rayz. pika v falcon) :laugh:

Jake13

Smash Lord
No matter if this (now new region) isn't the region he feels home to, he wanted to be with it before looking at all the people coming. He IS being hypocritical, he's going back on his original idea and his original argument. That's hypocrisy.

All the players that I have talked to about this situation from Texas have wanted AZ off the team because Forward is a *******. I say ******* because he dug himself into this mess and is trying to go back on his words.

I do want us to win, but I would rather us not have this win where people would complain (which is what happened since we got second, NOT first, because we had Chu). You and Forward share one common characteristic: You both want to win no matter the cost, which is not honorable at all, it is ridiculous. I'd rather have some nub as my captain than someone with no morals. You only speak of these "ties" between regions because you want to win.

AZ is south, this is a fact. I don't know how Forward convinced anyone otherwise. But as it is, he did, and now he has to pay for it.

You have only succeeded in saying what you said in the other forum, all of which is wrapped around these seemingly unbreakable bonds you speak of. The bonds do not matter in deciding the regions, the regions are regions; a broad geographic area distinguished by similar feature. In this case the feature being their location on a map, the southern section of the united states. The Western Coast would only be a coastline, namely Cali and those above it. Same goes for East Coast, though that is a much larger variety of coast (which is why Florida should be EC).

Congrats on your repetition, lets keep it up shall we?

But as to not seem personal here: <3 DoH

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
forwards a convenient addition
The guaranteed spots players together look pretty broken so far. This should turn out to be a good team.
if south gets az, i think south will beat all regions
Basically, what I was saying was: FL,AZ,TX> Any other state in the "south".
Xelic said:
you got arizona? lawlz we win
Smiles: Who's forward?
DoH: you know, really good falco player from AZ
Smiles: oh, yeah yeah that's good then
Caveman also said something about it being a good thing on Saturday, but I can't remember what it was. But he recognizes talent when he sees it, and I doubt even you are going to argue that.

Who are your sources on this Jake? If they're from Texas, then that leaves Gabe, JF, Zev, Forkgirl, Hylian, and Sethlon. I know Zev supports my decision because he's my friend, as well as Forkgirl. So basically you're pitting Gabe, JF, Hylian and (possibly) Sethlon's words against all the top players in the South. Coincidentally, putting AZ on the team jeopardizes the slim chance that the aforementioned players would make it on to the south team, of course they're against it for incredibly selfish and self-serving reasons.. If they're not on this list, then what does their opinion matter if they're not going?

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=hypocritical said:
hypocritical (professing feelings or virtues one does not have) "hypocritical praise"
The problem with your entire argument here is that forward DOES want to be on the south team. Obviously he wants to win and that's why he originally wanted to be WC because he thought that's where the strongest players would be. He has since realized the error of his ways and came back to support us, and I respect him for being man enough to admit that he was wrong, even if it is an attempt to be on the winning team. Forward just simply changed his mind. Are people not allowed to do this anymore? This isn't like a presidential election where being a 'flip-flopper' has serious implications to it; forward isn't wouldn't be in a leadership position in the south team. The entire indictment of hypocrisy is ridiculous, since the entire definition of being a hypocrite boils down to whether or not the feelings you profess to have are actually genuine; at the point in which forward wants to be on the south because he knows that the "WC" doesn't stand a chance to win, then his feelings are genuine, even if they don't come from "true" southern allegiance but rather wanting to win. He simply changed his mind.

The bonds and ties are what matter in regionals jake; I tried to get Jiano from Prime on the basis that Kentucky is a Southern state, which I don't think anyone would argue. But Kentucky plays with Midwest, so Prime vetoed that on those grounds. Because those are the stipulations that the tournament director argued from, I am strategically using those same warrants to further our case.

When have we ever cared about honor in this game? If we did we would all be playing Pichu because then we'd be equally terrible. We are playing to win here, and your entire conceptualization of 'honor' is just holding not only yourself but this entire team back. You are enforcing an arbitrary standard upon the team (that you're in no position to be making) that limits our abilities. None of the other regions care about honor; last year in regionals Wife counterpicked Chu to Brinstar and 3 stocked him; was he caring about honor then? No, he was playing to win.

Sirlin.net said:
In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game before he’s chosen his character. He’s lost the game even before the decision of which game is to be played has been made. His problem? He does not play to win.The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevent him from ever truly competing.
Also, this accusations of a lack of honor are pretty strange from someone who attempted to laser camp a Peach on Dreamland with Fox. Now that is hypocrisy.

So the choice is yours jake; you're either a scrub or a hypocrite.

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Arizona is in the south US right ? Forward is from Arizona, so that make him a viable candidate for the Southern team. That should be the ONLY teams he plays on, as far as region goes.

Sorry Jake, but I kinda have to agree with DoH here.

Why do I not care whether he wanted to play for us ? Because I want the south to win. I would rather we get first than second, and it's about time the south got some respect anyway.

Besides, he IS a valid candidate, right ? It would be a different story if he was from Pennsylvania or something, but he isn't. Region isn't an issue, the only issue is the fact that people didn't like that he didn't originally want to play for us. He probably shouldn't have been allowed to play for the WC whether he wanted to or not, so I think it makes his previous preference even more of a non issue.

Good Luck South team !!! We're all rooting for you !

Jake13

Smash Lord
Cave wants to win, just like all the other pro players. He didn't try and jump ship to West Coast though.

You're right DoH, my sources are the lowly would-be's and the never-was' that won't make it on the South team. Now when has democracy ever been in America? I guess never. :ohwell:

Merriam-Webster - 2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

He previously stated that he wanted to be WC, he contradicts himself by going back on his word and completely changing his mind. Thus the hypocrisy.

And good job and changing my words around, that was splendid. I never said anything about one's playing style that directly effects their honor. I even gave a prime example about honor (which you kind of stuck to, yet used it in opposite context), so maybe I need to reiterate: Chu plays for South, South gets second, everyone still thinks South sucks because they had Chu, the end. There it was, read it as many times as you'd like so as to not try and twist my words around.

And again, I never denied AZ being South. I've only reaffirmed that AZ is indeed a Southern state and should be South, but as it is, Forward did a dumb thing and is now trying to go back on his word (see def.)

Ok, so by your logic (and Prime's), now this is hypothetical here; NY LOVES TX, therefore NY plays for South, yay! That is ridiculous. The ties really shouldn't have an effect. I can see in split states decisions it having a small hold, but not on anything else. AZ is clearly South, even though it borders with Cali, it does not touch a coast. Now Kentucky I can see the ties coming into. It is not a definite Southern state (Ohio is the last one of those that far North), whereas it is not a Mid West state either, it's more of a Mid East. But because it is Mid East instead of Mid South, I would say it's a Mid West state (50% is better than 0%, right?). Though if Kentucky had these strong bonds you speak of (and you talk as though our states were seperated at birth), then hell, give us Kentucky. (I would still say it isn't a full Southern state.) Either way, this doesn't pertain to the argument at hand.

So in answer to your question, I am neither the scrub or the hypocrite. I am the one who's words got twisted around and beaten up by some leader on a power trip. Le sigh.

But if I had to choose one, I'm a total scrub.

No <3 from DoH back? That's mean.

G@BE

Smash Lord
You both make good arguments....

But f-you Doh for bringing me in to this -=ring finger=-!!!!!! heh

Oh Defsithe I used to live in Mission. So running this argument into the ground is not going to do **** anymore right? The Kish's already said that AZ plays for the west did they not? I also remember a post about one of them saying that they were not going to change it?

Top Bottom