• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamonds in the Rough: The South Team at FC

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You both make good arguments....

But f-you Doh for bringing me in to this -=ring finger=-!!!!!! heh

Oh Defsithe I used to live in Mission. So running this argument into the ground is not going to do **** anymore right? The Kish's already said that AZ plays for the west did they not? I also remember a post about one of them saying that they were not going to change it?
lol yeah I was also brought into this. Personally I would rather have AZ play for the south >_>. But I also agree that forward shouldn't of tried to go west coast in the first place >_>. But kish really should let AZ play for south :(.

Good thing my opinons don't matter lawl.

Velox

Smash Ace
Arizona is part of West Coast, with only a few days left before people leave, people probably shouldn't argue regional boundries until like... there is a definate South Team you know?

Texas and Flordia are the obvious powerhouse states for the South Team.

Texas:

Xelic
Smiles
DoH
(lol, the only 3 "top" players from Texas are Peaches, although there are other really good players from Texas going, but let's be honest, the 3 I've mentioned are in the power rankings and... we all just know they'd do good, where there is more question to the other players, even though I think you can't go wrong with like Sethlon for example...)

I've heard rumors that Caveman and SOS are going, but those are not true right?

Which means Flordia is gunna have to cough up a lot of players, like 5...

Not knowing anything about Flordia other than what they've accomplished at the national level, that would be like:

DSW
KSN
Lambchops
2 others... I have no idea, let Flordia decide... then make the other states agree on it.

Probably save 2 spots for like GA/other south states, not that I feel the spots should be spread out amongst the region, we shouldn't really care about that, as long as the best team is made, which idealy, as we all know, would be 10 Texas players XD

And of course DoH can just ignore everything I said, not that I feel that's necessary(sp...) to even say... People should post their opinions on the roster, otherwise DoH has nothing to work with, PMing gives no room for regional discussion you know...

Everyone should just put their regional bias aside when making a team imo, even if all 10 top players from Texas were going, I still wouldn't be all, "8 players from Texas... and maybe we can accept KSN/DSW"... We should try to be fair and maybe let... 3 players not from Texas play << LOL

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Cave wants to win, just like all the other pro players. He didn't try and jump ship to West Coast though.

You're right DoH, my sources are the lowly would-be's and the never-was' that won't make it on the South team. Now when has democracy ever been in America? I guess never. :ohwell:
I don't know about you, but in a democracy you kind of have to have a majority vote...I gave you 7 sources that I could quote, plus there's myself and a majority of the south eastern players that support Arizona being South...and if you want to delve into people that aren't going to FC, then there's Mouf, Mog, and probably all of Dallas, Austin, and Crystal City that will back me up on this. I don't know where this 'majority' you speak of is coming from, open your eyes.

Merriam-Webster - 2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

He previously stated that he wanted to be WC, he contradicts himself by going back on his word and completely changing his mind. Thus the hypocrisy.
Forward wanted to be WC because he thought that his team would consist of players like Ken, King, Hugs, SilentSpectre, etc. He was aligning himself with power. That didn't happen, and then he realized that South would be the power house this year, and he aligned with us. That's being pretty consistent in his beliefs. He stated he wanted to crew with the people he played with (SoCal) and when that didn't happen he went to the next best thing.

Is forward a flip-flopper? Maybe. Hypocrite? No. But that doesn't affect his ability to help us out, so there's really no impact to your accusations.

And good job and changing my words around, that was splendid. I never said anything about one's playing style that directly effects their honor. I even gave a prime example about honor (which you kind of stuck to, yet used it in opposite context), so maybe I need to reiterate: Chu plays for South, South gets second, everyone still thinks South sucks because they had Chu, the end. There it was, read it as many times as you'd like so as to not try and twist my words around.
Your argument is that you're against my 'playing to win' attitude because it sacrifices honor for victory. At the point in which your mental framework is inconsistent with your playstyle, it's universal applicability is void and therefore it shouldn't be evaluated in this or any context. I didn't change your words around, I used your past actions against your current advocacy.

People complained because Chu doesn't even live in the West coast, let alone the South; Arizona is actually in the South, not the West, which you even agree with. Even if people have a problem with AZ being South (which East Coast doesn't, who were the ones with major beef with Chu being on South last year), it still doesn't have any effect on whether or not we have a level of honor factor, which as per my (and every captain's) 'sirlin' playing to win framework, doesn't really matter. I'm not going to handicap my team based on some inconsistent, aribitrary standard that you feel like arguing.

I don't know why you people keep insisting on punishing forward for making a mistake. Prime gave him the choice as to what region he could play for, I don't see why he should deny him that choice again.

Ok, so by your logic (and Prime's), now this is hypothetical here; NY LOVES TX, therefore NY plays for South, yay! That is ridiculous. The ties really shouldn't have an effect. I can see in split states decisions it having a small hold, but not on anything else. AZ is clearly South, even though it borders with Cali, it does not touch a coast.
Except that NY isn't south at all so your analogy doesn't function. Arizona and Kentucky are border states, so regional ties become the deciding factor. You would know this if you were in the backroom or talked to Prime at all, because those are the criteria that he laid down.

Now Kentucky I can see the ties coming into. It is not a definite Southern state (Ohio is the last one of those that far North), whereas it is not a Mid West state either, it's more of a Mid East. But because it is Mid East instead of Mid South, I would say it's a Mid West state (50% is better than 0%, right?). Though if Kentucky had these strong bonds you speak of (and you talk as though our states were seperated at birth), then hell, give us Kentucky. (I would still say it isn't a full Southern state.) Either way, this doesn't pertain to the argument at hand.
DoH said:
I've never really heard Kentucky been considered Midwest, even though it borders IL/IN, but it also shares borders with TN and VA. There's also a much stronger cultural association with the South in areas such as food, music, and regional dialects. My dad was born in Kentucky and I grew up in Chicago, and whenever we visited Lexington I always felt a strong cultural difference between the two areas.

Also, if you look at the article on the Midwest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest) it also states that Kentucky is widely regarded as a Southern state.

And, the US Census Bureau considers Kentucky East South Central, not Midwest; http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf

Consequently, I feel there's strong enough evidence for Kentucky to be a part of the South team; as the event is based off of regional pride, it only makes sense that the players competing actually come from the correct regions.
That's what I sent to Prime, and he responded that the link between Kentucky and the Midwest outweighed our geographic claim to their region. I never argued that we had player ties to Kentucky (because we don't) but I argued that geography outweighed. I set this up as a trap argument for the Prime, since logically he can't deny us both AZ and KY. At the point in which "WC" no longer has a player link to AZ, then our geographic and player relations should outweigh the "WC" now void claim to AZ. That's why the argument is relevant.

So basically you concede that there's no implication to being a flip flopper, that a majority of south players would welcome AZ, and that to actually win crews we have to do what it takes and play to win, and the best way to do this is by having AZ on our team, and thus resort to ad hominem attacks by saying I'm on a power trip. Come on Jake, just drop it.

Gabe, Hylian, JF: I didn't mean to bring you into this, but Jake said that he talked to people from Texas, and I would hope that he would be talking about people that are actually going (you know, the people who this would affect). I don't know if this actually was you guys (since neither of you denied it) but I didn't mean to drag you into this mess.

Smash Apprentice
Arizona is part of West Coast, with only a few days left before people leave, people probably shouldn't argue regional boundries until like... there is a definate South Team you know?

Texas and Flordia are the obvious powerhouse states for the South Team.

Texas:

Xelic
Smiles
DoH
(lol, the only 3 "top" players from Texas are Peaches, although there are other really good players from Texas going, but let's be honest, the 3 I've mentioned are in the power rankings and... we all just know they'd do good, where there is more question to the other players, even though I think you can't go wrong with like Sethlon for example...)

I've heard rumors that Caveman and SOS are going, but those are not true right?

Which means Flordia is gunna have to cough up a lot of players, like 5...

Not knowing anything about Flordia other than what they've accomplished at the national level, that would be like:

DSW
KSN
Lambchops
2 others... I have no idea, let Flordia decide... then make the other states agree on it.

Probably save 2 spots for like GA/other south states, not that I feel the spots should be spread out amongst the region, we shouldn't really care about that, as long as the best team is made, which idealy, as we all know, would be 10 Texas players XD

And of course DoH can just ignore everything I said, not that I feel that's necessary(sp...) to even say... People should post their opinions on the roster, otherwise DoH has nothing to work with, PMing gives no room for regional discussion you know...

Everyone should just put their regional bias aside when making a team imo, even if all 10 top players from Texas were going, I still wouldn't be all, "8 players from Texas... and maybe we can accept KSN/DSW"... We should try to be fair and maybe let... 3 players not from Texas play << LOL
i might be going to fc? sweet!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Gabe, Hylian, JF: I didn't mean to bring you into this, but Jake said that he talked to people from Texas, and I would hope that he would be talking about people that are actually going (you know, the people who this would affect). I don't know if this actually was you guys (since neither of you denied it) but I didn't mean to drag you into this mess.
Yeah I don't even talk to jake. I don't really know him. >_>. Played him once at a tourny wow. So yeah >_>.

Top Bottom