• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diamond One Touch VC500 vs Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder vs Diamond One Touch VC500

Does anyone have experience with one or both of these? I can get them both for about the same price (Diamond for $35, Pinnacle for $40). What I'm wondering about is quality of the video and the compatibility with Adobe Premier Pro CS3 which is what I'll be using to edit with.

I'm leaning towards the Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder. My biggest worry is that people say the software sucks. I'd probably be using third party software anyway and I don't care about the straight-to-DVD or editting software it comes built in with. Can I use other software to capture?

My biggest worry with the Diamond One Touch VC500 is that the quality won't be very good.

Almas

Smash Lord
I know that the dazzle can run through windows movie maker as a video input source. Bear in mind that the drivers don't support 64bit and you'll have to use USB2.0 for either if you want a functional capture fps. You can also choose when installing the dazzle software to only install the drivers.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I use a Diamond one touch and I can say it works just great. I wouldn't play on it but it works wonders in capturing. I haven't used a dazzle so I wouldn't know about it. The Diamond produces raw video files in a variety of formats, your adobe editor shouldn't have any trouble working with the footage.

Sudai

Stuff here
I have a Diamond One Touch and personally know two people with Dazzle. Overall the Diamond is more space conscious. Physical and digital space. I've managed to get the same resolution/quality using only half the space on my laptop. Also the Dazzle records in segments where as when you record with the VC, it keeps it all in one file.

I have no experience with either in Adobe as we all use WMM, but yeah.

As for VC's video quality, http://www.youtube.com/user/UnwiseSudai, all the videos in there are recorded with the VC. Most are compressed to about half the quality (some compressed further for space sake). If that gives you any idea.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Where can I get the Diamond thing?

BestBuy? Circut City?

And once I get it, how do I use it? Because my laptop gives me an "error code 39" when I try to play a CD or DVD...

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
What settings / how do you guys use your VC500? I got one today and the quality is alright, but there are some people who have Youtube videos that have much much clear videos. I think I'm using the device wrong or not to the right optimal settings.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
ehhhhhhh I'm guessing I'm responding too late to be helpful, but maybe someone can get something out of this post :p (mainly that vdub is awesome)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815144028I'm leaning towards the Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder. My biggest worry is that people say the software sucks. I'd probably be using third party software anyway and I don't care about the straight-to-DVD or editting software it comes built in with. Can I use other software to capture?
Yeah, the general rule of thumb is that the included software sucks. I would highly suggest using virtualdub to capture regardless of the device you use; it can make a huge difference.

For instance here is one of Umby's vids using the included pinnacle software:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSJTDv8-qU

And here is a vid captured with virtualdub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1j9vp3oFA

Huuuuuge difference. Here is the quality I've been able to achieve with vdub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6POPLfgPe0

(before it was borderline unwatchable. <3 vdub)

What settings / how do you guys use your VC500? I got one today and the quality is alright, but there are some people who have Youtube videos that have much much clear videos. I think I'm using the device wrong or not to the right optimal settings.
Use virtualdub 8]

Ørion

Smash Ace
Okay, since this has the Dazzle in the OP I'm gunna steal your thread, sorry :p. I just got the dazzle DVD recorder, hooked it up to my TV, and started to record me in training mode as a test. However, the quality was very poor. It would slow way down then rapidly speed up. Does anyone know what is wrong?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Okay, since this has the Dazzle in the OP I'm gunna steal your thread, sorry :p. I just got the dazzle DVD recorder, hooked it up to my TV, and started to record me in training mode as a test. However, the quality was very poor. It would slow way down then rapidly speed up. Does anyone know what is wrong?
Use virtualdub 8].

Seriously though the included software blows chunks. Also how good is your computer? You may want to try defragging your hd.... that's supposed to help.

Top Bottom