• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
It's clunky past that too. If combat was enjoyable I could probably manage playing PoE, but it just isn't. Maybe once its out of beta.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, I've been past that and if that's really the pickup point, I might as well just uninstall then.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm sorry, but d2's combat is a lot better. Put a hammerdin or a javazon or a WW barb in PoE and i'd love it. I liked their out of the box thinking with skills, but because there are no skills unique to the classes there is less importance on the class you pick. At least in D3 skill damage is based on your weapon damage, so every skill can do a useful amount of damage depending on your gear; in PoE, last time I played trap damage scaled awfully and wasn't very useful past ~lvl15 (not to mention there are very few trap skills)

Zoler

Smash Ace
What? Traps are amazing, you just have to link them to different support gems.

Also you know traps don't share cooldown right? You can have 5 of the same trap gem and spam nonstop.

And no every spell doesn't scale of weapon damage. That was the single worst part about D3 that everyone I know hated.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm sorry, but d2's combat is a lot better. Put a hammerdin or a javazon or a WW barb in PoE and i'd love it. I liked their out of the box thinking with skills, but because there are no skills unique to the classes there is less importance on the class you pick. At least in D3 skill damage is based on your weapon damage, so every skill can do a useful amount of damage depending on your gear; in PoE, last time I played trap damage scaled awfully and wasn't very useful past ~lvl15 (not to mention there are very few trap skills)
What lol. Traps are some of the best spells period and do pretty much the most damage in the game.

Also, out the box thinking with skills? All the classes you named just hold down one button over and over LOL. You could have at least mentioned the assasin or something lmfao. In D2 you basically only used two skills at a time. I loved D2 and played it for like 10 years, but it was for the loot/community more than for the gameplay, which was your basic hack and slash gameplay.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What lol. Traps are some of the best spells period and do pretty much the most damage in the game.

Also, out the box thinking with skills? All the classes you named just hold down one button over and over LOL. You could have at least mentioned the assasin or something lmfao. In D2 you basically only used two skills at a time. I loved D2 and played it for like 10 years, but it was for the loot/community more than for the gameplay, which was your basic hack and slash gameplay.
I guess it was hard to tell cause I was using pronouns, but I was talking about PoE's out of the box thinking.

Also, I did qualify my trap statement with "last time I played". Last time I played, fire and ice trap both stopped doing any significant amount of damage to mobs before the end of act1. My other AoE skills were much more efficient at clearing, so i ended up only using them when I wanted to slow enemies. Maybe they changed this, idk.

And Smooth Criminal, yes Hammerdins did. Play a hammerdin at any level before you can equip an enigma, and good luck. Hammers only come out on a certain part of your body; you can't hit a monster directly below you with hammer, you have to re-position yourself. Even after enigma, it was still more complex than anything in PoE (holy shield, teleport so the enemy is directly above you, switch to concentration, shift+leftclick, switch back to teleport, rinse+repeat).

I'm going to say this another time with the risk of sounding like a broken record, but the skills and combat in PoE really did not impress me at all. I had fun for like 20-30 hours trying the different classes and exploring, but once I got most of the skills and read through the entire passive tree, the game had pretty much no secrets (besides the story I suppose, but thats not what I played the game for). I had originally been skeptical to make a definitive statement, but Kal and others say the speedup point is lvl20. I got 3 characters past that point, and thats when I was getting bored of the repetition.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Are you serious? How long did you play D2? Hammerdins are the pretty much most simple class in that game and incredibly overpowered lmao. You just SPAM hammer and they kill everything considering they hit for over 20k easily. It's pretty much impossible to miss, there is a giant tornado of hammers circling from your body. Did you just like use one hammer at a time or something? All you need is act 2 merc with infinity(super easy to get) and you're golden. You can use pretty much any items lmao from shaftstop to enigma.

Enigma is what made me stop playing D2 lol. Well, a lot of the runewords in general.

Edit: Like..seriously..I can't believe anyone who has played D2 for any extended amount of time would say that Hammerdins are complex or hard to use or bad in ANY sort of way shape or form. It blows my mind. There is no way you played Diablo 2, just no way.

Double Edit: Shouldn't even have to bring this up but Hoto+HoZ hammerdins = GG NO RE

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you're doing a baal run, sure, you can just sit there and afk spam. If you're trying to clear stuff, it is at least as challenging as anything else. Hammerdins were only popular because 1) they broke thru immunity really easily and 2) they worked really well with bots. In terms of actually hitting, the movement of the hammers left a lot of holes. I played a lot of hammerdins from lvl 18-25 with quests and then self ran norm baal runs. Definitely not a mindless class when you have to worry about mana consumption and hording. There is actually a lot of finesse to the class beyond point and click, is what im saying.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you're doing a baal run, sure, you can just sit there and afk spam. If you're trying to clear stuff, it is at least as challenging as anything else. Hammerdins were only popular because 1) they broke thru immunity really easily and 2) they worked really well with bots. In terms of actually hitting, the movement of the hammers left a lot of holes. I played a lot of hammerdins from lvl 18-25 with quests and then self ran norm baal runs. Definitely not a mindless class when you have to worry about mana consumption and hording. There is actually a lot of finesse to the class beyond point and click, is what im saying.
No, they were popular because you could easily get 20k+ dps on your hammers and could mindless solo all of the content in the game save ubers on any difficulty. They were also the most played class by far. You don't have to worry about mana consumption at all with insight. If you are talking about classes at level 18-25 then i'm not even sure how to respond. You can get to level 70 in less than 2 hours.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If anything PoE requires you to be x10 more precise than in D2 because all the monsters are dangerous and you cannot faceroll the content, you have to be on your toes at all times. In D2, you can easily blow through everything without thinking or worrying about where you stand.. the moves themselves allowed you escape corners if ever that happened. I really don't get it where you come from Sveet in those arguments, it doesn't make any sense.

Zoler

Smash Ace
I dont think Sveet actually played Diablo2. No level under 80 matters at ALL. It takes 2-3 hours.

Hammerdin was soooo boring, spam all day and clear the whole game except uber tristram basically. I also refuse to believe you played Diablo2 seriously.

Like Kage said in PoE even with awesome gear you need to be really really careful, because the insane damages etc.

The strength in PoE is not only the skilltree, but the support gems. Every different support gem can basically change your attack into something completely new. And you can have 6 sockets linked together.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You can't get to level 70 in diablo 2 in 2 hrs without get grushes and either chaos running or uber farming (before it was patched). You know there was content before people did all that, right? Btw, you can hit easily hit 50k meteor sorc for a lot cheaper than 20k hammerdin, but guess why hammerdins were more popular: immunity dodging.

Anyways, you guys are allowed to have your opinion, I am allowed to have mine. I don't appreciate everyone from the PoE thread coming in here telling me not to like the things I like.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You can't get to level 70 in diablo 2 in 2 hrs without get grushes and either chaos running or uber farming (before it was patched). You know there was content before people did all that, right? Btw, you can hit easily hit 50k meteor sorc for a lot cheaper than 20k hammerdin, but guess why hammerdins were more popular: immunity dodging.

Anyways, you guys are allowed to have your opinion, I am allowed to have mine. I don't appreciate everyone from the PoE thread coming in here telling me not to like the things I like.
I mean...I've never told you not to like Diablo 3 or anything, I just think it's absurd to say a hammerdin is complex or hard in any way because that isn't a representation of d2 AT ALL lol. I played diablo 2 since the day it was released and then for like 10 years, I am very familiar with all the content in the game. The only thing I've said about D3 is that I don't like farming act 3 over and over.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I have never used the term "hard" to describe gameplay. Honestly, I don't think the purpose of the genre is to make the characters technically demanding. My original comment was that I wanted interesting and fun gameplay/combat, and that if PoE had things like hammerdin, javazon, WW barb, etc i would enjoy it.

Again I will reiterate, I don't like stating my opinion only to have multiple people reply in varying levels of condescension implying or stating outright that I don't know what I'm talking about and trying to shovel their opinion down my throat. I think I have been fair in my criticisms of the game as well as my praise.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have never used the term "hard" to describe gameplay. Honestly, I don't think the purpose of the genre is to make the characters technically demanding. My original comment was that I wanted interesting and fun gameplay/combat, and that if PoE had things like hammerdin, javazon, WW barb, etc i would enjoy it.

Again I will reiterate, I don't like stating my opinion only to have multiple people reply in varying levels of condescension implying or stating outright that I don't know what I'm talking about and trying to shovel their opinion down my throat. I think I have been fair in my criticisms of the game as well as my praise.
Complex is what you said but.. neither games have complex systems like you described which is why I was confused in your arguments, it's really weird. It has to be something else that drew you in because looking at it on paper both games have basically the same mechanics of play.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

You said "Good luck" in regards to playing a hammerdin before enigma. Not sure what you meant by that if you weren't implying it was hard.

There is nothing wrong with saying you like something more, your comparisons just make absolutely no sense. You want more builds like WW barb/Hammerdin..where you hold down one button? PoE does have similar stuff to javazons. Lightning arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and chain is pretty similar to a good number of things in D2 just for one example. PoE also has totem builds, wander, ek builds, ci builds, crit builds, summon builds, elemental builds..like...I don't understand what you want from the game in regards to builds. You want it to be exactly like diablo 2 and have the exact same skills? It has plenty of unique skills that can all be altered through support gems to do different things(much like picking different runes in diablo 3 makes your skill different in a way).

I'm not trying to make you like PoE I just really don't understand where you are coming from because the things you are saying don't make any logical sense. You could just say "I don't like PoE" or "I like diablo more" and no one could really argue with you. It's hard not to be degrading about diablo 2 when you post things as fact that are completely off base. It's almost like you're saying "I like oranges because they taste like chocolate".

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm not trying to make you like PoE I just really don't understand where you are coming from because the things you are saying don't make any logical sense. You could just say "I don't like PoE" or "I like diablo more" and no one could really argue with you. It's hard not to be degrading about diablo 2 when you post things as fact that are completely off base. It's almost like you're saying "I like oranges because they taste like chocolate".
Zoler can make the post "PoE is basically D2.5, so if you liked D2 there is no way you cannot like PoE" and nobody says anything but when I say I find hammerdins to be interesting, the replies I got are that I must never have played the game and that I don't know what I'm talking about. At this point, I don't see a reason to continue this conversation since any opinion I have is apparently "wrong".

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Looks like they are adding something similar to maps from PoE. Depending on that I might actually try it, not optimistic though.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Looks like they are adding something similar to maps from PoE. Depending on that I might actually try it, not optimistic though.

Well I saw the trailer, it looked pretty cool but the problem is.. why have an angel that suddenly wants the evil power? Seems kinda random in this story. Though the story wasnt great to begin with.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Seems about par for the course for the Angels, they're kind of just douchebags in general anyways.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
So what in your guys' and gals' opinion is the best Diablo game? I want to start one, but I haven't played any of them.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So what in your guys' and gals' opinion is the best Diablo game? I want to start one, but I haven't played any of them.

Diablo 2: LOD without question.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I still recommend diablo 2. Unless you're one of those people who care about how a game looks as the most important "fun" factor.

Player-3

Smash Hero
d2 is still pretty fun and smooth for the most part if you ignore the walking animations those always bothered me

Top Bottom