• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DGames Summer Mafia Bash - Day 2 Begins. Deadline Day 2 begins - Deadline 8:00 A.M. CST Monday 6/24

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I see. My perception may be different since those were the games I have seen him lurk as scum and don't remember him actively participating in town as scum. Also, I don't think there is much of a case to Rockin other than what Macman is bringing.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ok, so UP. I'm going to let you in on a top player secret that Rockin still hasn't learned.

Rule of thumb: high vote totals, especially if they're early on in the game, are very good.

As I said earlier, we will tend to consolidate onto someone who has votes if things don't change. If things DO change, then we will see how they change and act accordingly. When vote totals aren't high, it's relatively easy for scum to piddle around with multiple options and then use their coordinated advantage to influence where the town snaps to come end of phase. HOWEVER, if most of the town is voting and split between 2-4 options instead of spreading wide on 5 or 6, then they need to move much earlier and more obviously. If someone they don't want lynched could be on the block and they want to change it, they have to fabricate a reason and be somewhere else. If they refuse to play ball, they begin to stick out as a sore thumb as a non-contributor.

In addition to the way it forces the scum team to respond, it forces EVERYONE to weigh in on the game. It creates automatic talking points that, if not addressed, result in action instead of being something everyone just skims and ignores because there is no weight behind the push. It creates a trail to follow back and find those acting with an agenda instead of simply acting to find the guilty.

As such, I posit that, if you have a reason to want someone dead, you should be actively campaigning to make them be dead. Go out there and get votes instead of letting your most powerful tool (your own vote) stagnate on some dead end wagon or on nothing at all. If you do NOT have someone you actively want dead, you should park your vote on one of the wagons with the most votes that you like the best. It means you are still effecting the game with your vote.

tl;dr

Vote someone who already has a sizable wagon. If you don't want to do that, don't be passive with your vote and hope others will join you and instead campaign to get more votes so your vote is now on someone with a sizable wagon. Make sizable wagons. Sizable wagons are good.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Oftentimes the best situation for town is one where deadline is drawing near and the options are so competitive that no one knows who is going to get lynched.

It's in those cases that scum will go out on a limb to create change or make a snap decision and have to justify it later. Those sorts of scenarios are insanely powerful for creating moments that you can go back to and bingo the scum team on.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That was all armchair mafia critic **** and I'll stop now. Telling people the optimal way to play the game isn't alignment indicative and I'm not trying to use it as a shield to avoid playing the game.

WITH THAT SAID, if your vote/behavior doesn't line up with that analysis, I want you to tell me why you are not conforming to it. Why you think your line of play is correct instead.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Basically, competing wagons can be good. Always try to keep your vote in play.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Against me? Just that I'm the best player to have graced this site and people are afraid of me.
Rockin vote. Also the vendetta against Rockin because it's the DGames tradition to lynch Rockin D1.

Okay I'm dropping the topic

My vote on Maven will stay until somebody says there's a better option.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Which posts are you thinking of because nothing stuck out to me.

also, goodnight, more tomorrow, (including my answer about Ryker)
allow me to reprise my language for the sake of being more literally accurate

"the multiple times he has engaged people in a meaningful way, including the questions hes asked them"

this includes:
Which posts are you thinking of because nothing stuck out to me.

also, goodnight, more tomorrow, (including my answer about Ryker)
allow me to reprise my language for the sake of being more literally accurate

"the multiple times he has engaged people in a meaningful way, including the questions hes asked them"

this includes:
Howdy Tom. What do you make of the FF intro and how has Marshy held up so far?
questioning tom when he previously found tom "interesting"

Cool. That's a fixable problem. We're friends now. Being friends is fun. Friends help each other.

There's been a lot of talk about Doop being rules lawyery and reachy with his points. When that's read badly, it's typically because they're looking to find something to pin people on that's flimsy. Scum oftentimes just want to lynch someone instead of wanting to lynch someone that is scum.

I think Doop's response to Gorf fits the same sort of ilk that others have commented on. Can you go back through that slot's posts and tell me if you think his comments give you that vibe?
questioning poyzin

Gorf, you still confident that Ran is a narc?
following up on gorfs (a slot hes expressed not having a firm handle on yet) progression wrt reading ran
Thing is, I've been following the wagons because I want MORE VOTES (tm). Ran was at 2 for a loooooong time before I felt it was opportunistic to be there. I think the only time that I could call it opportunistic would be after this whole Ran/Tom thing. I'm honestly surprised by all of the people who come out of it going "yeah, Tom's town." I saw that as someone who was looking to stir ****, but hadn't really given me much. He actively wanted to sidestep Ran (I did to, that's not a condemnation), and my thoughts were basically to watch the slot and see if it starts contributing when things get really going.

However, there were like 4 or 5 people who all came out of that with "Hmm, this reads SvT" or "Tom's my boy and Ran lookin kinda sketch."

I don't really like the way this situation came out.

Talk to me about Gorf, his read on Ran, and the later vote on Maven and what you take from it.
engaging frozen on gorf
this isnt every post. i dont feel like going back and pulling more. but this was just off the first page of his posting history and more than enough to give me the impression that i have

would appreciate you letting me know why ryker is of such interest to you and why you felt compelled to question me about him of all things. also touching back on doop: do you have any opinion of now voting pythag with him when previously accusing doop of floundering?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Rockin (4): KevinM, JeXs, Tom, Mac
Marshy (1): Maven89,
Pythag (2): Kary, Dooplissity,
Ranmaru (2): Gorf, JTB,
Maven (6): Ranmaru, Marshy, Ryker; FrozenFlame, Pythag, UtopianPoyzin
No Lynch (0):

Not Voting (2): Nabe, Rockin,

Deadline June 17th 7:00pm CST. Takes 9/17 to lynch.

Wanted to see how things looked after I voted.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ok. So you aren't sold on the two leading wagons. We can come to some kind of accommodation. Who would you like a wagon on?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Ok. So you aren't sold on the two leading wagons. We can come to some kind of accommodation. Who would you like a wagon on?
Hmm. Now that you mention it, I don't have any hard scum leans atm, which is something that I really need to fix. I'll get back to you, so far I have town reads and null reads. JeXs is was my scum read, but nobody seems convinced so I convinced myself otherwise.

I really don't know right now. I'll get back to you on this.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Pythag Pythag my man can you do my a solid-o-roonie and hitch your vote onto mine properly and vote Ran? I'd totally be down for that wagon to actually have a place toward a lynch, and the other wagons are suuuuuuch a snoozefest man!

I'll read for real later, I'm currently meditating through one of the peaks right now. Hopefully it'll come down soon, I can't take the freakin' ego death man!

JeXs

Smash Champion
I'm curious why.
Marshy and Ryker have been helpful and actively trying to progress the game. I like their active attempts to engage/push people. I wouldn't put it past them as scum, but I like them for now and have no issues with them. FF has felt pretty town to me, with his posts and thought process. and I can see him trying to solve the game.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Oftentimes the best situation for town is one where deadline is drawing near and the options are so competitive that no one knows who is going to get lynched.

It's in those cases that scum will go out on a limb to create change or make a snap decision and have to justify it later. Those sorts of scenarios are insanely powerful for creating moments that you can go back to and bingo the scum team on.
to b totally fair

i think you need a strong town to pull this off with confidence. ive seen a lot of weakwilled towns flounder and lose their minds, dogpiling a previous nonplay in the chaos of a last minute rush due to excessive scum influence

not sure if this town is in that category just yet. there are absolutely strong players in this town but im thinking weve got at least two competent scum who can pull the wool over peoples eyes and some townies who might need to b guarded from them and sheparded. id b having an absolute field day as scum right now

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Nothing like working with a man to see if he's a ****ing narc.

JeXs JeXs where you looking at the moment. Just gimmie preliminary thoughts. Sort the cast into "Can go," "Would be ok with going," and "Not the play."

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
to b totally fair

i think you need a strong town to pull this off with confidence. ive seen a lot of weakwilled towns flounder and lose their minds, dogpiling a previous nonplay in the chaos of a last minute rush due to excessive scum influence

not sure if this town is in that category just yet. there are absolutely strong players in this town but im thinking weve got at least two competent scum who can pull the wool over peoples eyes and some townies who might need to b guarded from them and sheparded. id b having an absolute field day as scum right now
Eh, only one way to GET strong towns and it's to put weak towns through the forge fires.

You don't have to have a very strong town, just one that is at least willing to go back and read the chaos of a final 2 hours of the day that took 4 pages. After some flips, things get VERY enlightening.

Plus, I have faith in my boys.

JeXs

Smash Champion
Damnit ._.

JeXs JeXs , you better be town, m'kay?
Honestly, I don't know what your concerns with me are lol. I'm in a similar boat as you, I have a bunch of nulls and some town reads. Then again, I've been mostly skimming because I haven't felt too great recently and came down with a pretty bad flu. :(

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Rockin (4): KevinM, JeXs, Tom, Mac
Ranmaru (2): Gorf, JTB,
Maven (6): Ranmaru, Marshy, Ryker; FrozenFlame, Pythag, UtopianPoyzin
No Lynch (0):

Wanted to see how things looked after I voted.

Rockin (5): KevinM, JeXs, Tom, Mac, Ryker
Ranmaru (3): Gorf, JTB, Pythag
Maven (4): Ranmaru, Marshy, FrozenFlame, UtopianPoyzin
No Lynch (0):

Wanted to fix Pythag's silly mistake and add Ryker's new vote :)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Honestly, I don't know what your concerns with me are lol. I'm in a similar boat as you, I have a bunch of nulls and some town reads. Then again, I've been mostly skimming because I haven't felt too great recently and came down with a pretty bad flu. :(
Aww. Hope you feel better. I've heard capping scumbags can cure what ails ya.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Jex remember when you said you were surprised that I'd scum leaned you before? Is there anything in your play right now you think I should be seeing that I didn't?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Rockin (5): KevinM, JeXs, Tom, Mac, Ryker
Ranmaru (3): Gorf, JTB, Pythag
Maven (4): Ranmaru, Marshy, FrozenFlame, UtopianPoyzin
No Lynch (0):

Wanted to fix Pythag's silly mistake and add Ryker's new vote :)
I'm curious if he err'd and intended to sheep you or made an error and still wants to be on Maven.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Actually Ryker, I'd be down for a Ran wagon. I said I was null previously, but there's just been something perpetually off, and I think it might be a gut scum call on my end.
Ok, cool. Let's verbalize this then, because you've got some selling to do if you want me on Ran. I do love a big wagon though.

Something is perpetually off, can you find a couple examples of things that feel off, even if you can't actually pin what it is? I'm pretty sure not every post makes you feel that way.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Aww man, mafia has me listening to rock music and pacing again. **** it's good to be back at least for a little while.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Ok, cool. Let's verbalize this then, because you've got some selling to do if you want me on Ran. I do love a big wagon though.

Something is perpetually off, can you find a couple examples of things that feel off, even if you can't actually pin what it is? I'm pretty sure not every post makes you feel that way.
You are too nice (one moment, fetching)

Top Bottom