• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Would be pretty surprised if anybody else won. 2nd-4th is between Tristate, SoCal and FL.

:059:

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
im sorry but the opportunity was oh so ripe

also tfw fl is so hype that we are our own entity in a crew battle

edit yea yea yea cali has two sections but aside from hot, miami and disneyworld what dafuq even is florida?

edit 2 lets all get on dat hype train for my boy Dabuz Dabuz WE REMEMBER YOU BACK IN DA DAY GOTCHU BOI

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
im sorry but the opportunity was oh so ripe

also tfw fl is so hype that we are our own entity in a crew battle

edit yea yea yea cali has two sections but aside from hot, miami and disneyworld what dafuq even is florida?

edit 2 lets all get on dat hype train for my boy Dabuz Dabuz WE REMEMBER YOU BACK IN DA DAY GOTCHU BOI
Awwwwww yeah!

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Does anyone else have that problem when they go onto amazon to buy a baseball hat and sunglasses and you end up buying 10 things or is that just me?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
3 things but I don't do that anymore, I save everything for later and never buy anything. Then I lose all my money because my mom's bank account went under due to me having her come on with my insurance which took money straight away and I saved her from going further under.

I hate those charges. I also hate RECURRING CHARGES.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Does anyone else have that problem when they go onto amazon to buy a baseball hat and sunglasses and you end up buying 10 things or is that just me?
They always get me with the below $5 ~ $10 items. Just cause they are literally the dream items you wish was immediately on the first shelf when you walk into a Dollar Tree.

Maven89

Smash Master
I was an athiest until I was 25, I felt the love of God hit me suddenly while reading the opening of gospel of John on a whim, in a way I couldn't deny but I was an athiest and really wanted to. It turned me Christian when that was probably the last religion I'd have wanted to be at the time. Now I'm glad.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I haven't been raised christian, though my mom was. I did go to a christian elementary school but felt no relation to it. I guess it just never clicked for me, you know? More recently, I've had religious discussions with Seph and it did strike a chord with me, having someone who has experienced all your pain and has taken the punishment and forgives you is a really nice concept, but in the end I just can't believe in something like christianity.

Regardless, I love the concept and the things it can do for people. Good to read you're doing well, marshy <:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Irish blooded Canadian, born and raised not only Christian but straight up Roman Catholic. Kept at the believing thing until I started to get older and have doubts, Tried to make myself believe. Realized you can't force yourself to believe anything at all. You can make yourself listen to an argument and absorb its points and try to entertain them, if you are truly open minded, but not force yourself to believe the argument. That either will happen or will not.

I think religion of all stripes has a lot of value and does a lot of good in the world. I think people are being deliberately obtuse when they point to the Westboro Baptist Church as an excuse to hate Christians, or for that matter pointing to extremist terrorism as an excuse to hate muslims. People can be scum, unfortunately, and that doesn't stop them from pretending to care about a religion in the process of doing the cruel and selfish things they personally want to do. No, religion definitely does some great things.

But it's not for me and it's never gonna be. If it ever was, it would've happened. If saying the right prayers makes you a dormant gateway until God and Jesus decide to whammy you with enlightenment, okay cool, but I remain dormant after a childhood chock full of said prayers and have not been given any further instructions. Not being sassy btw, as you said you're a logical person, so I figure what i just said is quite logical. If it was anyone but you I'd have honestly found it a bit patronizing to be linked to that post, but it IS you, and we're bigtime homies and you know I've had an extremely rough patch the last long while so I totally see the good you were trying to do there from your POV.

Actually I dunno if you even knew that I'm not a lifelong atheist but yeah, that's the case. Believed for a good stretch of time, then spend a good stretch of time trying to believe with increasingly minimizing effect. It was a really interest personal/emotional process actually.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm surprised at how positive the reception was to that was, always felt this community was not hostile but very ambivalent towards religion.

I too am christian, specific Catholic *brofists Evil Eye Evil Eye * and while I don't have the gift for words you have marshy, I feel much the same way you do.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Was born and raised unaffiliated with any religion. The concept of "believing" has always been strange to me.

:059:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I was born and raised in an Independent Baptist Church (with teachings extremely close to the Southern Baptists), got saved & baptized when I was 6, started to doubt my salvation throughout middle school and Freshman year of high school, and then came back to Christ when I was a Sophomore. I used to despise going to Church, but now I actually look forward to it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm catholic and been lazy about it ever since

Uncle Ruckus

Gorf|marshy
if anyone wants to talk about it feel free to message me here or skype (jcolimore). i get how one could see the concept of believing as foreign and wish i had someone who could explain it in a way that related to me. some might ask "why should i bother?" and im willing to engage that question

later yall

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Christian/Agnostic/Buddhist something is what I would be.

Makes absolutely no sense but I mostly fall into the realm of, I do the right thing because it is the right thing and believe that is a truth I live by.

Past that, I got no idea what I am with any ism/religion etc. Hard to pin point and say for myself. Do good for others and be a good person and everything will work out. That is the hope I live by in life.

If I had to say I was something with a gun to my head I would say Christian, but I wouldn't say I am strongly in that regard.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Christian/Agnostic/Buddhist something is what I would be. Makes absolutely no sense but I mostly fall into the realm of, I do the right thing because it is the right thing and believe that is a truth I live by. Past that, I got no idea what I am with any ism/religion etc. Hard to pin point and say for myself. Do good for others and be a good person and everything will work out. That is the hope I live by in life. If I had to say I was something with a gun to my head I would say Christian, but I wouldn't say I am strongly in that regard.
Too bad that those three categories have nothing to really do with doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh lets go here

Why do you do the right thing for the sake of the right thing?
I like making people happy and making as many people as I can feel good within reason, aka I do not assist with genicide if it makes people feel good to do such etc.

I like helping people and I always have, ask the DGames Skype chat how many times I have "Ruy'd" them.

It's what I think is right to do, Christianity other religions, people without it, I just see this want for it and I want to do it.

I do what I think is a good thing without want for a reward, that is what I do because I think that Is what is right.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu

Doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing was actually a deontological concept called the categorical imperative argued by Immanuel Kant as a counter approach to moral philosophy against the growing popularity of utilitarianism largely approached as being representative of the consequence oriented approach to human behavior e.g. the ends justify the means.

Immanuel Kant said:
The faculty of desire in accordance with concepts, in-so-far as the ground determining it to action lies within itself and not in its object, is called a faculty to "do or to refrain from doing as one pleases". Insofar as it is joined with one's consciousness of the ability to bring about its object by one's action it is called choice (Willkür); if it is not joined with this consciousness its act is called a wish. The faculty of desire whose inner determining ground, hence even what pleases it, lies within the subject's reason is called the will (Wille). The will is therefore the faculty of desire considered not so much in relation to action (as choice is) but rather in relation to the ground determining choice in action. The will itself, strictly speaking, has no determining ground; insofar as it can determine choice, it is instead practical reason itself. Insofar as reason can determine the faculty of desire as such, not only choice but also mere wish can be included under the will. That choice which can be determined by pure reason is called free choice. That which can be determined only by inclination (sensible impulse, stimulus) would be animal choice (arbitrium brutum). Human choice, however, is a choice that can indeed be affected but not determined by impulses, and is therefore of itself (apart from an acquired proficiency of reason) not pure but can still be determined to actions by pure will. — Immanuel Kant, Metaphysics of Morals, 6:213-4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I was baptised and raised Catholic, but could never get into going to church and all that jazz. I'm pretty much agnostic. I was more interested in playing video games and watching cartoons on Sunday morning, or going to YGO/smash tournaments, rather than going to church. I guess not a whole lot has changed since, except I don't play TCGs anymore. Huh.

Regarding "doing the right thing," I have too much empathy to go against basic moral constructs. I mean, IDK how anyone could wipe out an entire civilization for the sake of wealth and power, for instance. I could never do that regardless of the riches at stake.

Right now I'm somewhat of a believer in Gaia theory, or Gaia hypothesis.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Not going to lie, one of the main reasons why I can't stand people who try to discuss the existence of God or try to debate religion is because it's transparent that all these people only had a light dabbling with their religion. I'm talking about going once a week to service and maybe going to Catholic School or Torah reading classes. When you have to live a lifestyle where you had to constantly endorse living with Jesus and influence others to do the same, it is absurd that these people can just casually have a conversation about what you were forced to believe, sermonize, and assist in the propagation of just because you wanted to have a relationship with your parents who you respected on all matters outside of religion.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu

Doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing was actually a deontological concept called the categorical imperative argued by Immanuel Kant as a counter approach to moral philosophy against the growing popularity of utilitarianism largely approached as being representative of the consequence oriented approach to human behavior e.g. the ends justify the means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative
You know what is funny, I took a ethics class and I hated the **** out of utilitarianism, I got a B in it where I needed a 87-88% for what it is worth btw.

Tbh I would argue with Kant on this, **** utilitarianism I wrote a 3 page paper why I hated the what it taught and my teacher praised me for it for how I expressed myself.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Well, there's a lot more to Kant than you're letting on here. Kantian deontology is weird because it operates on the assumption of an inherent good, but how it defines that inherent good is very different from what most people think of with regards to "doing the right thing". By Kant's belief system, if a man you know to be a murderer is chasing someone who hides in a bush near you and approaches you in their human skin mask with a dripping knife and asks you where they are, the "right thing to do" is "tell the murderer in the human skin mask where that person is". Even in situations where things are so obviously going to lead to a terrible situation, and literally could be considered aiding and abetting in a brutal, motive-less slaying, you would be considered in the WRONG to lie to the murderer. I'm pretty confident 99% of people would find that silly, and that that absolutely isn't the type of ethical construct Ruy is operating on.

Like yeah, Kant's morality is interesting and has some passing similarities to the very common notion of "doing the right thing for the sake of itself", but let's get real, Ruy doesn't tell Skinface who's in the bush. So while your philosophy lesson was interesting and is relevant you're oversimplifying to suggest that this is the ethical system Ruy is operating on. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" seems pretty clearly what he's goin with -- love thy neighbor and all that stuff, just do good stuff you would hope to have happen to you and all that. But, hell, don't we all operate on blended/hybrid ethical systems?

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
You know what is funny, I took a ethics class and I hated the **** out of utilitarianism, I got a B in it where I needed a 87-88% for what it is worth btw. Tbh I would argue with Kant on this, **** utilitarianism I wrote a 3 page paper why I hated the what it taught and my teacher praised me for it for how I expressed myself.
Most people only understand the broad view of utilitarianism which is the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. However, another aspect to the theory that was almost Church of Scientology-esque was the notion that each individual person had varying potentials to express happiness and sometimes their happiness power level when maxed out would out max someone else thereby having more influence over the sum total good that existed within a population.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Cheerilee Cheerilee

Well, alright, there's the pudding.

I think all religion requires updating and modernizing to follow the times. By Old Testament law I can **** a girl, abduct her, continue to **** her for a while, and then if I decide I still want her I can literally BUY her from her family and take her as a wife. That's just. I mean, c'mon. But that's what nobody gets about the Torah, the Bible, or the Qur'an. They're all texts that were written in medieval/ancient contexts that just really do not apply 1:1 to the current day. Or at all sometimes.

EDIT: So if it was somehow unclear, I definitely think structuring your religion in a way to force it down the throats of impressionable children and ironically not allowing them to exercise any of the free will many major religions are based on is one of those things that needs updating

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Well, there's a lot more to Kant than you're letting on here. Kantian deontology is weird because it operates on the assumption of an inherent good, but how it defines that inherent good is very different from what most people think of with regards to "doing the right thing". By Kant's belief system, if a man you know to be a murderer is chasing someone who hides in a bush near you and approaches you in their human skin mask with a dripping knife and asks you where they are, the "right thing to do" is "tell the murderer in the human skin mask where that person is". Even in situations where things are so obviously going to lead to a terrible situation, and literally could be considered aiding and abetting in a brutal, motive-less slaying, you would be considered in the WRONG to lie to the murderer. I'm pretty confident 99% of people would find that silly, and that that absolutely isn't the type of ethical construct Ruy is operating on.

Like yeah, Kant's morality is interesting and has some passing similarities to the very common notion of "doing the right thing for the sake of itself", but let's get real, Ruy doesn't tell Skinface who's in the bush. So while your philosophy lesson was interesting and is relevant you're oversimplifying to suggest that this is the ethical system Ruy is operating on. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" seems pretty clearly what he's goin with -- love thy neighbor and all that stuff, just do good stuff you would hope to have happen to you and all that. But, hell, don't we all operate on blended/hybrid ethical systems?
Kant's Categorical Imperative and his take on Metaphysics is very complicated to the point where I didn't bother understanding all the concepts when I chose to revisit it. However, I believe that Kant's theory fundamentally embodied actions for the intrinsic sake of the actions themselves which I felt was the most apt analogy to Red Ryu's statement of doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing. It was perhaps more accurate to rephrase his statement as follows: To the a thing, for the sake of doing the thing for its own reason is the core ideas behind Kant's beliefs. However, barely scratches the surface, but does not misrepresent his beliefs like most people tend to misunderstand the on the beliefs that were used to shape utilitarianism.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Most people only understand the broad view of utilitarianism which is the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people. However, another aspect to the theory that was almost Church of Scientology-esque was the notion that each individual person had varying potentials to express happiness and sometimes their happiness power level when maxed out would out max someone else thereby having more influence over the sum total good that existed within a population.
See here is the thing, I could never sacrifice someone else for this. I cannot maximize effort for this.

Yes it might do the best net happiness for them but I couldn't do it.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Cheerilee Cheerilee Well, alright, there's the pudding. I think all religion requires updating and modernizing to follow the times. By Old Testament law I can **** a girl, abduct her, continue to **** her for a while, and then if I decide I still want her I can literally BUY her from her family and take her as a wife. That's just. I mean, c'mon. But that's what nobody gets about the Torah, the Bible, or the Qur'an. They're all texts that were written in medieval/ancient contexts that just really do not apply 1:1 to the current day. Or at all sometimes. EDIT: So if it was somehow unclear, I definitely think structuring your religion in a way to force it down the throats of impressionable children and ironically not allowing them to exercise any of the free will many major religions are based on is one of those things that needs updating
It's not only that. If I'm not mistaken when it came to the Walls of Jericho, Gód commanded that the Israelites should not pillage anything, however a man named Achan still followed through with the action and because of this in Joshua 7:4-5 they were routed by men of Ai, and killed because of this transgression. This punishment did not end here, as also in Joshua 7 Achan's family was executed even though there was no connection between them and his decision to loot from the city. The Old Testament paints an entirely different deity from the New Testament which is a book that lends itself to ministry, forgiveness, and absolving of prior sins. Therefore you can't really justify it as a failure of adaptation from modern society to religion, because there are fundamental paradigm shifts between the Old & New Testament themselves on how punishment, forgiveness, and coming to terms with understanding these decisions came into play.

Within the sect I was a part of and within many others, they advocate that the Judeo-Christian Gód is never changing, all knowing, and all present. Denying change and adaptation is one of the core concepts within religion in order to provide insecure or people struggling with confidence that there is an absolutism within the universe which they can rely on and seek comfort upon when they are going through difficulties. However, to the intellectual who accepts struggles and that adaptation on a daily basis is a core feature of what it means to survive for many organisms aside from just humans it is just a transparent factor that change is something which needs to be embraced by religion if it is to pertain to a modern generation of potential believers.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
See here is the thing, I could never sacrifice someone else for this. I cannot maximize effort for this. Yes it might do the best net happiness for them but I couldn't do it.
If I'm not mistaken it seems like Mills was attempting to use utilitarianism in a similar manner to how ecologists address population stress on a given environment wherein which Mills was establishing happiness as if it were actually a resource or a type of generated good that he wanted to define and calculate.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Faith alone does not save you at the end of the day. We were born to challenge paradigms or simply adapt to the situation in order to survive. Life is nasty, brutish, and short but it doesn't mean that these factors have to detract away from personal happiness. It simply means that happiness may be something spiritual that can only be discovered and understood in a retrospective sense through forcibly living every day even if it means most days seem to be miserable on the surface. Hobb's understanding of how individuals group together to compensate for individual short coming is an interesting reference I wasn't consciously thinking of it when it came to religion or really a lot of present problems within America. However, it does explain a lot about the main themes that we need to overcome with before we can reach the end point of anything we try to tangibly reach for in the first place.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
do you know anything about philosophy that you don't learn in year one philosophy because I'm starting to wait for the nietzche quotes

Top Bottom