• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Hellboy
Spider-Man 2
Batman Begins
V for Vendetta
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Hellboy II
The Dark Knight
Watchmen
Kick-***
Iron Man 2
X-Men: First Class
Chronicle
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Rises
Dredd
Iron Man 3
Man of Steel (I liked it. Deal with it!)
The Wolverine
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
X-Men: Days of Future Past

All from the past 10 years that I think are good movies. There are more poor films than great ones coming from the genre but that can be said of horror, comedy, romance, etc. There is enough quality to be found that I think they're worth keeping an eye out for.
S Tier: The Avengers, The Dark Night

A Tier: The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man, The Amazing Spiderman, Spiderman

B Tier: Spiderman 2, The Incredible Hulk, Hancock, X-Men 2, X-Men 3, X-Men Days of Future Past

C Tier: Captain America

D Tier: The Amazing Spiderman 2 (except that ending was fantastic excellent scene), Thor, Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

F Tier: Iron Man 3, X-Men Origins, X-Men the one with the Japanese ninjas I didn't watch but I mean, Spiderman 3, Fantastic 4

FF Tier: Daredevil, Hellboy, The Hulk (the one before the Incredible hulk), Ghost Rider

Zen Tier: Kick-ass, Kick-ass 2, Chronicle

Unknown (haven't seen): Hellboy 2, Watchmen, Blade, Elektra (I imagine it's F Tier), Ghost Rider 2, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Dredd

Key

S Tier
Excellent Masterpieces.

A Tier
Great Movies

B Tier
Good

C Tier
Um Ok

D
Not that good

F
lmfao just stop

FF
zzzzz

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
The product of half an hour of making sure not to screw up an email.

sad said:
Dear sir or madam,
Please find the following two attachments which are my resume and sales history. I learned about xxx through the yyy and followed up with my own research leading to a strong interest in working for the company. I can readily reached by email address, phone number, or by mail which are all present on my resume. A reference list can also be provided upon request. Thank you for taking the time and effort to look over my application, it is deeply appreciated.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I have the ship. Bought it to play with a friend, we played once, and now he never wants to play again.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, I'm really glad you're not delusional about Iron Man 3 like everybody I talk to seems to be. That movie is not good.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Now for something entirely unrelatable.

I bought two years worth of premium, figuring that I could split it among twenty-four accounts like I did last time. I had the break down as follows:

(1) #HBC | Gorf
(2) #HBC | Ryker
(3) #HBC | Red Ryu
(4) #HBC | Joey
(5) #HBC | Zen
(6) Gova
(7) Raziek
(8) Circus
(9) #HBC | Dancer
(10) DTJ | BSL
(11) #HBC | J
(12) WashedLaundry
(13) BarDulL
(14) #HBC | Kary
(15) #HBC | Ranmaru
(16) #HBC | marshy
(17) Nabe
(18) #HBC | soup
(19) Capps
(20) Quilt
(21) Sinz
(22) #HBC | FrozeηFlame
(23) PrivateJoker-Brown
(24) Orboknown

I made sure to include everyone who was in the Disco Room mafia game because I liked Gova's statement that we should try to continue the Disco Room game inside the Disco Room. However, I was informed that the last format for budgeting was incorrect in the sense that purchasing for $15 for a full year (twelve months) at a time and then distributing them as one month accounts to twelve different people is taking advantage of the system because I'm roughly paying $1.25 per one month rather than paying the full sticker price of $3.00 for a one month account for each person (treating every donated account as if they were their own agent).

That means that for the $30 I spent, I would only be able to carry over ten accounts. And to convert twenty-four accounts I would need $72 which means I would have to spent an additional $42 (now this is getting over my budget). Given that this was just something interesting that I wanted to try out and not something I wanted to keep on doing, I wanted to grab: (a) everyone in the Disco Room game as a thank you (b) Private Joker Brown & Orboknown who were upset there weren't included and were even pranked (c) people I missed / overlooked i.e. soup, Frozen, and (d) WashedLaundry so he could also join the #HBC. WashedLaundry was actually my main incentive for repurchasing a second round of premiums and while I converted him to blue I figured I would also bring along everyone else for a last hurrah.

Some people felt left out by the fact that they weren't given premium. To be honest, I'm sorry that you felt that way and it wasn't my intention to leave anyone out. It's just that the people who I initially bought premium for were people who I liked from the social thread and also shared moments with in game. It would be a lie though to say that I only bought a round of premium because of that. The initial impetus behind doing it was the conversation between Zen and J about J having a bigger avatar size to feature more of his girls, an idea which I approved. However, the idea fell apart when I wanted to weigh that prospect in lieu of giving premium away to other people who I considered closer to me than J.

It came to a point of asking myself whether buying a a round would kill me (I don't have any expensive vices - I don't even play videogames anymore). $27 doesn't break my bank and it was worth it in order to see how everyone would react. Because the reactions and impressions from you guys was completely worth it for that price. If required I wouldn't mind spending a monthly payment to continue for this subsection to exist because of the people that I consider to be a 'friend' and the amount of times they have made me laugh. That's a point that I wanted to convey. That everyone here has a meaning and it isn't something that's just superficial. Everyone here is worth at least $1.20 of my time. It's insulting to suggest to me that the people here are just worth that much or aren't even worth that much.

Tbh I don't have any good intentions by outing myself as the benefactor and am only doing so to express my disinterest in further participation of the system. I'm put off by the market modeling of not the premium system, but the idea of donating to others after having donated to the site. The only ground that this stands on is impartiality and being 'fair' to other paying customers. However, I don't know of a fellow forum member who attempted anything analogous to what I did or anyone similar who would be legitimately upset that I'm somehow cheating the premium system by robbing everyone else of their premium unless they were an utter ****. I'm put off by the fact that linked accounts don't carry over after having premium. I was never a fan of the premium system having donated before, however the second time I can say that I am actually vexed and perplexed by the inflexibility of the system in the name of profit that I want to point out how I internally feel knowing that it will be an unpopular opinion to many circles.

There's no reason why the donation system should be a subscription service unless the primary interest is in forcing payers to rotate another round of payments after their lease is up. The Disco Room forums is user generated content and if you go to any other xenforo based board you can get similar sig space, avatar size, and pm inbox provisions without needed to pay out because these aren't added limitations that adequately reflect the payment required to purchase premium. I highly doubt that further payment is needed to expand the size allotted by the server for these provisions. Similarly loss of income from ads should be negligible since most people already have ads blocked on default and the only people who have their adblocker turned off are people concerned about the income situation of the site. A situation which I would consider, given that I actually knew what the income situation of the site actually was and considering it isn't brought up as an issue can assume that the site is somewhere comfortably in the black. However, given how expired premium accounts are handled, how there was no move to remotely considered the need for linked accounts for Dgames, and the condition put forth to me to donate more to get the same results because I broke fiscal egalitarian rules in my support of the site it wouldn't be a lie to say that logging into this site is a little irritating.

My latest transaction with the site compounded a feeling that I've been carrying for some time that this isn't an administration that has a community first perspective. Actually they might, but they don't really have much of a mind for the Dgames community. Actually they might, but as long as it's something that won't pad their pockets it seems like the site does not care. In this sense, the site shouldn't be considered a community, but a business. When the site requests ads to be enabled or notes that premium subscriptions are low, users need to ask the site what does it actually produce on its own end rather than simply being a hosting site for other people with the means to post. I feel that right now the site benefits from not having any real competition from any other website. However, if someone wants to set something up off site I'm more than willing to go. I don't hate the site. I don't hate business. However, I hate it when a business tries to squeeze out additional profit out of something purely good will and frame it as a scam, a cheat, or taking advantage of the system. You want me to disable my ad-block, honestly **** off. You need to pay me or give me an incentive if you want me to pay into your end profit margin.

I know that there are moderators for this board. The last thing I want you to do is to actually press on this or to abandon your support of this site. I really like the site. I just don't agree with the premium system in its entirety and am fully aware I went through the wrong way in settling this amicably, as I stated before I'm vexed.

I'm not pointing fingers. But you legitimately ****ed up if you thought that burning a user who potentially was going through $30 a month donations could be squeezed for $42 more. Mind you not even using the donations for himself. Mind you benefiting a community that had previously voiced an interest for the premium system to be used for linked accounts. And it doesn't matter because $30 is nothing to this site because I am betting that this site is very much in the black and has no immediate need for the money aside from being used as supplementary income to someone's personal account.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Now for something entirely unrelatable.

I bought two years worth of premium, figuring that I could split it among twenty-four accounts like I did last time. I had the break down as follows:

(1) #HBC | Gorf
(2) #HBC | Ryker
(3) #HBC | Red Ryu
(4) #HBC | Joey
(5) #HBC | Zen
(6) Gova
(7) Raziek
(8) Circus
(9) #HBC | Dancer
(10) DTJ | BSL
(11) #HBC | J
(12) WashedLaundry
(13) BarDulL
(14) #HBC | Kary
(15) #HBC | Ranmaru
(16) #HBC | marshy
(17) Nabe
(18) #HBC | soup
(19) Capps
(20) Quilt
(21) Sinz
(22) #HBC | FrozeηFlame
(23) PrivateJoker-Brown
(24) Orboknown

I made sure to include everyone who was in the Disco Room mafia game because I liked Gova's statement that we should try to continue the Disco Room game inside the Disco Room. However, I was informed that the last format for budgeting was incorrect in the sense that purchasing for $15 for a full year (twelve months) at a time and then distributing them as one month accounts to twelve different people is taking advantage of the system because I'm roughly paying $1.25 per one month rather than paying the full sticker price of $3.00 for a one month account for each person (treating every donated account as if they were their own agent).

That means that for the $30 I spent, I would only be able to carry over ten accounts. And to convert twenty-four accounts I would need $72 which means I would have to spent an additional $42 (now this is getting over my budget). Given that this was just something interesting that I wanted to try out and not something I wanted to keep on doing, I wanted to grab: (a) everyone in the Disco Room game as a thank you (b) Private Joker Brown & Orboknown who were upset there weren't included and were even pranked (c) people I missed / overlooked i.e. soup, Frozen, and (d) WashedLaundry so he could also join the #HBC. WashedLaundry was actually my main incentive for repurchasing a second round of premiums and while I converted him to blue I figured I would also bring along everyone else for a last hurrah.

Some people felt left out by the fact that they weren't given premium. To be honest, I'm sorry that you felt that way and it wasn't my intention to leave anyone out. It's just that the people who I initially bought premium for were people who I liked from the social thread and also shared moments with in game. It would be a lie though to say that I only bought a round of premium because of that. The initial impetus behind doing it was the conversation between Zen and J about J having a bigger avatar size to feature more of his girls, an idea which I approved. However, the idea fell apart when I wanted to weigh that prospect in lieu of giving premium away to other people who I considered closer to me than J.

It came to a point of asking myself whether buying a a round would kill me (I don't have any expensive vices - I don't even play videogames anymore). $27 doesn't break my bank and it was worth it in order to see how everyone would react. Because the reactions and impressions from you guys was completely worth it for that price. If required I wouldn't mind spending a monthly payment to continue for this subsection to exist because of the people that I consider to be a 'friend' and the amount of times they have made me laugh. That's a point that I wanted to convey. That everyone here has a meaning and it isn't something that's just superficial. Everyone here is worth at least $1.20 of my time. It's insulting to suggest to me that the people here are just worth that much or aren't even worth that much.

Tbh I don't have any good intentions by outing myself as the benefactor and am only doing so to express my disinterest in further participation of the system. I'm put off by the market modeling of not the premium system, but the idea of donating to others after having donated to the site. The only ground that this stands on is impartiality and being 'fair' to other paying customers. However, I don't know of a fellow forum member who attempted anything analogous to what I did or anyone similar who would be legitimately upset that I'm somehow cheating the premium system by robbing everyone else of their premium unless they were an utter ****. I'm put off by the fact that linked accounts don't carry over after having premium. I was never a fan of the premium system having donated before, however the second time I can say that I am actually vexed and perplexed by the inflexibility of the system in the name of profit that I want to point out how I internally feel knowing that it will be an unpopular opinion to many circles.

There's no reason why the donation system should be a subscription service unless the primary interest is in forcing payers to rotate another round of payments after their lease is up. The Disco Room forums is user generated content and if you go to any other xenforo based board you can get similar sig space, avatar size, and pm inbox provisions without needed to pay out because these aren't added limitations that adequately reflect the payment required to purchase premium. I highly doubt that further payment is needed to expand the size allotted by the server for these provisions. Similarly loss of income from ads should be negligible since most people already have ads blocked on default and the only people who have their adblocker turned off are people concerned about the income situation of the site. A situation which I would consider, given that I actually knew what the income situation of the site actually was and considering it isn't brought up as an issue can assume that the site is somewhere comfortably in the black. However, given how expired premium accounts are handled, how there was no move to remotely considered the need for linked accounts for Dgames, and the condition put forth to me to donate more to get the same results because I broke fiscal egalitarian rules in my support of the site it wouldn't be a lie to say that logging into this site is a little irritating.

My latest transaction with the site compounded a feeling that I've been carrying for some time that this isn't an administration that has a community first perspective. Actually they might, but they don't really have much of a mind for the Dgames community. Actually they might, but as long as it's something that won't pad their pockets it seems like the site does not care. In this sense, the site shouldn't be considered a community, but a business. When the site requests ads to be enabled or notes that premium subscriptions are low, users need to ask the site what does it actually produce on its own end rather than simply being a hosting site for other people with the means to post. I feel that right now the site benefits from not having any real competition from any other website. However, if someone wants to set something up off site I'm more than willing to go. I don't hate the site. I don't hate business. However, I hate it when a business tries to squeeze out additional profit out of something purely good will and frame it as a scam, a cheat, or taking advantage of the system. You want me to disable my ad-block, honestly **** off. You need to pay me or give me an incentive if you want me to pay into your end profit margin.

I know that there are moderators for this board. The last thing I want you to do is to actually press on this or to abandon your support of this site. I really like the site. I just don't agree with the premium system in its entirety and am fully aware I went through the wrong way in settling this amicably, as I stated before I'm vexed.

I'm not pointing fingers. But you legitimately ****ed up if you thought that burning a user who potentially was going through $30 a month donations could be squeezed for $42 more. Mind you not even using the donations for himself. Mind you benefiting a community that had previously voiced an interest for the premium system to be used for linked accounts. And it doesn't matter because $30 is nothing to this site because I am betting that this site is very much in the black and has no immediate need for the money aside from being used as supplementary income to someone's personal account.
Really?

**** that ****.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What didn't you like about it? I definitely liked it better than 2, at least.
I would say it's more entertaining than Iron Man 2, but that's a pretty low bar. I would say even Iron Man 2 was at least a little more focused and had a better idea of what it wanted to do than 3 did.

Basically (IRON MAN 3 SPOILERS BELOW):
  • Uneven tone - specifically trying to balance the multitude of humorous scenes (which were often funny) with Tony's PTSD. The film felt like it couldn't figure out if it wanted to be "the serious one" or "the fun one." You can't do both well at once.
  • Villain's history with Tony and his motivations for his actions feel sloppy and cartoonish. "You were mean to me once and it made me EEEEVIIIIIL." Right.
  • While the premise of Tony being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken suit is a good one, the excuse they use to get him there is way silly (Jarvis just jettisons him there inexplicably. And why is his suit even capable of running out of power? Isn't it powered by the ****ing arc reactor in his chest?), and then they hardly do anything with that idea once they get there. He just befriends a little boy out of the blue (not normal, by the way) and just happens to stumble into some scenarios that are relevant to the plot.
  • Pepper gets turned into an impervious fire monster for just enough time to do one badass thing, later getting cured by totally unexplained magic science. Yay no consequences!
  • Finale with army of Iron Man suits is ridiculous. Why does Tony ever even need to be in a suit if they're all so self-sufficient? If Tony had all of these suits the whole time, why did it take him this long to use them? Why didn't Tony just summon a suit when he was ****ing stuck in Wisconsin or wherever?
And I'm sure I've forgetting stuff. That movie's just all over the place.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Regarding the power of the suit point, I believe it runs on external power since using his arc reactor in his chest would kill him by driving that shrapnel further into his heart or something.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
But the main character in the Iron Man series as hot as **** so it's worth it no matter what, right?

(I don't remember anything from the Iron Man movies because I was that bored lmao)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
But isn't that the point of the arc reactor? That it's essentially limitless energy? Like, why wouldn't Tony just stick a really sophisticated electromagnet in his chest if that's all it was for? I assumed the reason it needed to be so fancy was because it was the thing he used to make the Iron Man go.

I know nothing of Iron Man outside of the movies, so if this is explained better in the comics or I've just missed something, do tell.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
What? I said if he used the arc reactor in his chest to power the suit it would kill him, that's why its powered by an external source.

Edit: which is why I'm assuming it runs out of power. It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Last edited:

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What? I said if he used the arc reactor in his chest to power the suit it would kill him, that's why its powered by an external source.
Right. I'm saying that the movies don't portray that to be the case. He specifically develops the prototype in the first movie to power a suit. Why would using the the power of the arc reactor (again, practically limitless, yes?) to run the suit **** with it's ability to stablize the shrapnel? Isn't the point that it can do both? If the only reason Tony has it in his chest is to control the shrapnel, why isn't it just a sophisticated electromagnet? Why is it magic perpetual energy? I assumed it was to power the suit.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Oh, apparently it's not infinite power. A quick google search confirmed that for me.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'd say Iron Man 3 was pretty bad. You're right it suffers badly from magical plot momentum, and it has no respect for basic physics. But as a piece of light entertainment I thought it was fine. It's kinda a shame they pour millions of dollars into making a film and it comes off seeming kinda amateur though (in terms of story at least). Idk... I don't mind watching them just to look out for the good bits; jokes, or whatever. If I go in with high expectations they just get crushed. Dark Knight Rises was such a disappointment.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Key

S Tier
Excellent Masterpieces.

A Tier
Great Movies

B Tier
Good

C Tier
Um Ok

D
Not that good

F
lmfao just stop

FF
zzzzz
EDGE magazine ('bout vidyagames) used to have a section titled 'our ratings explained'. It read:

[1] - one
[2] - two
[3] - three
[4] - four
[5] - five
[6] - six
[7] - seven
[8] - eight
[9] - nine
[10] - ten

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I think the one thing that makes me most bitter is just that the PTSD angle was actually a really clever place to take Tony's character after The Avengers, and they squandered it with goofies. I'm down for campy fun, but commit to it if that's what you're doing. Don't have Robert Downey Jr. hyperventilating in a car just to have the very real and serious condition he's portraying diffused by a kid pandering to him over a walkie talkie. You do need some levity to balance out situations like that, but Iron Man 3 over-corrects pretty much every time.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I think the one thing that makes me most bitter is just that the PTSD angle was actually a really clever place to take Tony's character after The Avengers, and they squandered it with goofies. I'm down for campy fun, but commit to it if that's what you're doing. Don't have Robert Downey Jr. hyperventilating in a car just to have the very real and serious condition he's portraying diffused by a kid pandering to him over a walkie talkie. You do need some levity to balance out situations like that, but Iron Man 3 over-corrects pretty much every time.
AIGHT SPOILERS

this just came to me but hear me out - how much better would the film have been if, in the final showdown scene, he didn't fail to catch pepper because he's a klutz, he failed to catch her because he actually started freaking out and &etc. how touching would that scene actually have been if he'd shown some actual human weakness at the end of the film, oh golly.

I mean it might kill the cash cow but still.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The cash cow's going to die soon anyway because pretty soon RDJ's going to stop playing Iron Man and then no one's going to care anymore.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
If you've seen all 3, there's a scene in one of them (likely 2) where he's drinking some gross **** and he replaces the metal "battery" inside of the core. It's not limitless energy, it's just really damn efficient.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Like Obadiah was supposed to be someone who came out of nowhere and took everything from him. He wasn't even a partner like he was in the first movie (first movie was legendary), but they couldn't make him an alcoholic in the first movie and they already had used Obadiah as a realistic first villain who set a good base for the movie. They set a great ending for the first movie by having Tony Stark reveal he's Ironman. Note that the only other movie we had going was Spiderman with Toby and they prolonged the whole revealing his identity to the second/third movies.

Tony Stark lost everything and got piss drunk. That's the human component of it. That he lost a lot, used alcohol as a coping mechanism and then lost even more because of the booze but we can't blame him because we identify with that type of pain and suffering. However, if you involve a real issue like alcohol really destroying a cartoon man's life then you have to scale up your movie to R because god forbid you have kids they become inspired by the movie to rely on alcohol to cope with their problems because it sure works great for Tony in the comics right.

I mean really just having someone go from Ironman to being absolutely piss poor drunk with no company, no name, no anything and wandering the streets looking for a saving grace. I'm not talking about drinking during his own trade conference like in Ironman 2 and Jarvis nanniy'ing him about his abv levels and Pepper being worried about him and him still driving a racecar at mach speed while being drunk and getting into a crash because the definitive villain comes in front of him and slashes his car with laser whips. That's not alcoholism. That's someone whose trashed, but hasn't become dependent on booze to the point where he can't cope without it.

Having an actual boozed out Ironman is too risque to show in theatres but it would probably be the most humane Ironman that they can release at this point instead of skirting around it and it's sad because Robert Downey's personal wikipedia page is more graphic than anything that could be possibly shown in an actual Ironman film.

"In April 1996, Downey was arrested for possession of heroin, cocaine and an unloaded .357 Magnum handgun while he was speeding down Sunset Boulevard. A month later, while on parole, he trespassed into a neighbor's home while under the influence of a controlled substance and fell asleep in one of the beds.[21][22] He was sentenced to three years of probation and required to undergo compulsory drug testing. In 1997, he missed one of the court-ordered drug tests and had to spend four months in the Los Angeles County jail.[citation needed]

After Downey missed another required drug test in 1999, he was arrested once more. Despite Downey's lawyer, John Stewart Holden, assembling for his client's 1999 defense the same team of lawyers that successfully defended O.J. Simpson during his criminal trial for murder,[20] Downey was sentenced to a three-year prison term at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in Corcoran, California (a.k.a. "Corcoran II"). At the time of the 1999 arrest, all of Downey's film projects had wrapped and were close to release, with the exception of In Dreams, which he was allowed to complete filming. He had also been hired for voicing "The Devil" on the NBC animated television series God, the Devil and Bob, but was fired when he failed to show up for rehearsals."

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Heh, I knew I could count on you to be the villain for me, Gheb.

For the record, I am going to lose my **** if we win today. I'm so hype. I would love to see Germany lose here by a high enough goal margin that they can't advance. What would life be like if Spain AND Germany didn't make it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom