• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Interview Thread: Walrus? Toasted

RPS

• Total voters

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Kary I still respect you I'm just a desperate internet boy looking to see the body of a woman who will actually interact with me plz fulfill my destiny :c

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
lol i abused my powers to preview the interview

absolutely amazing

life changing and breathtaking

i wish yall could see it

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Interview with the Kary
starring Kary

"Johnny's a girl, sometimes"
§1

How are you ?
I'm not too bad thanks.

What is a perfect day in the life of Kary ?
I guess I would get up at about 10, have a nice cooked breakfast, the weather would be good so i'd go into town with some friends and wander round the shops then get sandwiches and coffee for lunch. Then maybe we'd head back to cook dinner and just hang out, then sit down and have a nice meal. In the evening we'd probably go out to watch a film and then go to a club, drink and dance for a few hours then head home and crash.

That sounds pretty good. Any day where I get to hang out with friends and can throw money around on food/entertainment is a pretty good one generally.

What are your dreams ?
Like, life dreams? Uhh, I'd like to be a game designer and write songs and run a small café. And not be so damn lazy.

What is something you always wanted to do but never have ?
There's a joke here where I say the name of a famous actress or similar, as though I had read the question as 'who', but no-one springs to mind.

For a long time I've wanted to visit Japan, because I've always found what I've seen of that culture to be really interesting.

Favorite town/scum/indy games you've played ?
I generally enjoy games where I roll town and town does well... Enter the Hardbody, Paper Mario... Deadpool Insomniac mafia is probably the most fun I had playing a mafia game though, I just found that whole thing hilarious.

Scum and indy are almost synonymous for me, to be honest. I don't think i've ever been a generic mafia goon. Prolly the most fun I had as scum was as indy with JDitzy in Kata's Tekken mafia. He was a really good scumbuddy, and we both had cool roles. I was Anna Williams, Independent Honey Trapper, and I got to shake my Mystic Booty every Night lol.

Same as above but read ?
I think you put your questions in the wrong order. I should probably read Catcher in the Rye. Not that I actually read books at all nowadays. Oh, and Moby ****. There's a lot of things I would probably enjoy reading if I got around to it.

Favorite book/movie/anime ?
Not sure if this is three questions. And for the record, I'm fecking terrible at having favourites.
Fullmetal Alchemist is probably my favourite anime, not that I watch a lot of anime.
Good Will Hunting is a pretty solid film.
Night Watch (one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books) is one of my favourites.

One thing you wish you never saw.
Things don't tend to be better or worse but for you seeing them. The truth tends to come out in the end.

Nothing springs to mind.

One thing you wish you could see.
The view from outer space. I imagine the experience of looking out at the Earth and the stars is pretty incredible.

When will we crack puns together again ?
You tell me buddy!

Favorite place to be ?
Lying in bed when you really need to be lying in bed and you're just like 'mmm yeah relax and sleep'

One place you'd like to go.
Mt. Fuji in the hollow of the wave off Kanagawa

What is love ?
It's like a weird feeling in your stomach and your chest and it makes you act differently and changes how you value things. It's a connection between you and someone or something else that transcends the material.

What isn't love ?
>_>

Favorite past time ?
Prolly video games. Do you have that Lana Del Rey song in your head now? I do.

5 Dgamer's you'd wanna chill with.
marshy, Ranmaru, Nabe, Circus, kuz

this is kinda like people I most want to meet/think i'd get along with.

shoutouts to everyone else i'm sure you're cool too.

5 Dgamers' you wouldn't.
no.

Advice for new players.
Learn from your mistakes, and always re-evaluate what you're doing before you commit to it.

Advice for Ran.
Ranmaru? He doesn't need any advice, he's cool just the way he is.

What makes a man a man ?
What makes an apple an apple?

(it's similarity to other apples)

What makes a women a women ?
" "

How's Britania ?
The UK? or Brittania?

I've not spoken to her recently.

And the UK is same as ever. It seems to get gradually worse and worse, but it's not all that bad and the weather is pretty good to be honest.

God save the queen ?
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen!

Music you like.
Yeah I like music.

(scroll down a bit)

One thing you wish you could learn to do.
I'd like to learn how to cook. Like, I can cook just fine, and follow recipes etc. But I don't feel like I understand how cooking works, like how to tell what things go together or how to tell when something is cooked enough. So that'd be good to learn.

One superpower you'd want.
I've always wanted to have unlimited stamina, so I'd never get tired or hungry. So I could run at full pace for as long as I like, stay up for days if I wanted to, and etc. That'd be pretty cool. I mean, being able to fly would probably be awesome but yeah. Super stamina.

One you wouldn't.
Midas

You write an award winning book, what genre is it ?
Low Fantasy

How addicted are you to league ?
Not at all. I play league from time to time but I'm not really that into it. I'm like... level 26? I know enough about it from watching videos and stuff that I can play alright (league requires so much knowledge to be good at, it's kinda insane), but I just don't enjoy it enough to really spend that much time playing it.

Favorite Champ / Position ?
Morgana is probably my favourite champ. Snares all day, shields all day, can't catch me, i'm going to get away.
Second would be maybe Janna or Evelynn.
I play support more than anything else, so that's where i'm most happy and comfortable.

Can you believe it's not butter ?
Yes. It's not even close, to be honest.

§2

Are you a girl? An actual girl? Not a fake one like Xonar who wants to be a girl but isn't?
no. I guess i'm pretty girly for a guy, though.

This would probably be the point where I go on a lecture about gender, but the tl;dr is that wanting to be a pretty princess is not the same as wanting to be a girl.

Am I too harsh on Xonar because I try and project my weeb and effeminate qualities on someone else who is consciously relatable or is it something else?
If you've got qualities you're not proud of, #1 don't sweat it because it's okay to be who you are, and #2 try and think rationally about who you want to be and how you could change.

You should be nice to other people, Xonar included.

Name some of your favorite artists and bands, songs too.
Alright well here goes, here's a little selection of things I like.

Fang Island - Sideswiper
And So I Watch You From Afar - A Little bit of Solidarity Goes a Long Way
Justice - Waters of Nazareth
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic

The Hold Steady - You Can Make Him Like You
Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor
Guns N' Roses - Nightrain
The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
Ratatat - Seventeen Years

Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It
RJD2 - Ghostwriter
Lorde - Royals
Yuck -Rubber
Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan
The Weeknd - Thursday
Menomena - Queen Black Acid

Awolnation - Sail
Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Lounger
Lady Gaga - Telephone
Biffy Clyro - Bubbles
Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill
Catherdral - Corpsecycle

Haim - The Wire
Sunset Rubdown - Dragon's Lair
The Protomen - Sons of Fate
The Mountain Goats - Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Nobuo Uematsu - Forgotten Face (FFIX)
The Hold Steady - Lord I'm Discouraged
Modest Mouse - Trailer Trash
Explosions In The Sky - Your Hand In Mine
The Blues Brothers - Sweet Home Chicago

Reel Big Fish - Drunk Again

And if you're looking for albums, these are all pretty good:

Menomena - Mines
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Justice - †
Haim - Days Are Gone
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Sunset Rubdown -Dragonslayer
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Sleigh Bells - Treats
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
The Killers - Hot Fuss

§3

Pics or gtfo?
no

Can you be my online gf?
no

What inspired the Tranquility flavor?
Tranquility started off as a top-down horror themed setup, in the vein of films like 30 Days of Night or Resident Evil, where hapless townies are slowly picked off one by one. For a long time it had different cop roles acting as the 'protagonist' of the story, who would get different abilities depending on what happened and who else died. What I was most interested in, though, was the idea of telling a story through the medium of a mafia game; taking a set of stock characters and using what happened in the game as the basis of the story.

The problem with the survival horror theme, though, was that it just didn't fit with the mechanics of a mafia game. Mafia is about an enemy in your midst, whereas survival horror is about a small group fighting against everything else. So over time, I began slipping towards more of a murder mystery theme, though the roles I planned to use carried over.

I ended up taking a lot of cues from shows like Agatha Christie's Poirot - particularly in the 1920s setting which I found a lot more interesting than setting it present-day. I chose to set it on a boat because it made sense as a place for people to be trapped, and forced to solve their problems mafia-style, rather than just contacting the authorities.

What WAS the Tranquility flavor?
So, in Tranquility, your character of Jack Winter is a retired sporting hero who's fallen on hard times. But fatefully, he's hit upon a scheme to get rich quick. He's borrowed a bunch of money in order to buy a new yacht, and he's going to sail it to the Bahamas and load it up with booze, then smuggle it back into the U.S. to sell for a huge profit. Because that's how you make money in prohibition-era America, right?

Now, the cover story for this expedition is that he's taking his friends on a cruise, which is why there's so many people on the boat. And he's only told a couple of them about the bootlegging operation, because he doesn't want to risk anything more than he has to. Unfortunately, his on-and-off girlfriend (played by Gheb) has decided to screw him over, and take the profits out from under his nose. And one of the guys she is plotting the takeover with has an itchy trigger finger.

And it all goes downhill from there.

Along the way we might learn some lessons about lying to one another, and the importance of money and friendship. And I expect there would be some very grisly murders. At the end of the story, the boat would return to Florida, only to find it devastated by a hurricane (which did happen in 1926). We'd be left to consider the the terrible things that happened on the boat, and the damage done by nature while they were away.

It's fun telling stories :)

Would you describe the game as tranquil in any sense? Why or why not?
The name of the game was one of the last things I came up with, but I liked the way it set up what was obviously a story about lots of murders. In the story, Jack calls the boat Tranquility because it represents not having to worry about his future anymore.
As to how the game went? No I wouldn't say it was tranquil. It was a bit of a ****storm from the get-go really.

How were you introduced to mafia? To DGames?
I found out about both from my buddy X1-12, when he told me about the games he was playing here. After a while I got interested in playing too, so I signed up.

Rate me 1/10
four

§4

If you had to rate yourself on a scale of 1 to Scary at mafia, how S-Kary would you be?
I'm probably only a 4 or 5 out of 10 when it comes to being scary at mafia. I'm very S-Kary though.

What's your favorite kind of pie? And if the answer is none, why are you literally worse than Hitler?
cutie
(apple)

OK now how about favorite meal in general?
Burrito or similar mexican food.

OK now my turn! What's my favorite snowcone?
Is a snowcone just icecream, yeah? You probably like toffee or something, I don't know.

OK back to you now: If you had to choose between being able to fly at 1mph or being able to run at 100mph (or km, makes no real difference here), which would it be and why?
Running actually sounds more useful than flying to be honest.

You can visit anywhere in the world for three days all expenses paid, where do you go and why?
Prolly Japan again. Idk, three days isn't a very long time.

What was the best mafia game you ever played in? Did you win?
Maybe Taco Bell? Idk. I enjoy simple, small setups, and games where everyone is posting and getting along with one another. That game just had a real cosy feel for me. Most games i've played i've enjoyed at one point and struggled through at another. Got wrecked by Glyph/RR in TB though.

What is your best/favorite setup for a mafia game you've ever seen here, playing in it or not?
My favourite setup is probably the semi-open I ran for Newbie 23, which was limited to 6 PRs. I ran it with jailer/tracker/1-shot vig against a roleblocker, but you could run that same pick-6 so many different ways (the other roles are universal backup and bodyguard). Sometimes it's fun to play with wacky and swingy roles, but personally I prefer setups where there's just a bit of space for PRs and claim shenanigans.

If you had to tell me personally one thing, what would it be?
Take the good things with you and leave the bad in the past.
Also your avatar is pretty funny but not always the guy you ought to be.

Kary is a girl's name.
I'm inclined to agree. But then again, Boy Named Sue.

§5

where the **** did my premium go wtf????
I don't know, dude. Where did you leave it?

What's a bad game/movie/show you actually liked?
Nothing in particular springs to mind, but I tend to enjoy 'bad' action films, say like Underworld, or Resident Evil, or some of the stuff Steven Seagal does. Knowing that they're ridiculous kind of adds to the enjoyment.

Last 3 songs/albums you downloaded/bought and why
I've not bought a lot of music recently, but I'm pretty sure these are the last three:

Days are Gone by Haim - I bought this on the strength of the singles (e.g. 'Forever') and it does not disappoint. There are a couple of weaker songs but overall the album is very good, and fun to sing along to as well.

Audio, Video, Disco by Justice - I really enjoyed Justice's first album and had high hopes for this one. It's pretty high energy which is cool, but it begins to grate after a while. Overall I think it's pretty good but falls a bit short.

Opposites by Biffy Clyro - I enjoyed Biffy's last couple of albums and thought they couldn't really go wrong. As it happens I think they did, because across 2 CDs there's several tracks that are just average and forgettable, and it feels like the album lacks focus. Still not bad, though.

In case it wasn't clear, I don't really buy singles at all, I tend to just buy albums. I guess nowadays I should get used to downloading things, but I prefer to have a physical copy really.

do you get constantly asked for your sex? cause your sex seems like it'd probably be on fire.
Not as often as you'd think

§6

Top 10 favorite fictional characters.
There's only one fictional character I care about, and it's Seth McDebit

Really though, I am terrible at picking favourites.

Spike Spiegel, Dr. House, Squall Leonhart, Solid Snake, Sam Vimes, Ryan Beckwith...

:ohwell:

Top 10 favorite shows, anime or live action.
Again I'm just going to throw some things out here.

CSI, NCIS, House, FMA Brotherhood, Poirot, Sherlock, Spooks, Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother ?

Oh and obviously Takeshi's Castle.

Top 10 video games.
Well alright at least this time I'm whittling down a list rather than scraping round for things to ask.Still murder though.

Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy IX, Dragon Quest VIII, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, Okami, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, GTA IV, Advance Wars II

If you could hang out with 5 Dgamers that you haven't already met in irl who would they be?
(see §1)

If you could invent one law the entire world had to follow, what would it be?
I'd change it so Friday was part of the weekend. You'd work 4 days, have 3 off.

You're granted 3 wishes, with no possible work around for more wishes, what do you wish for?
world peace
end poverty
freedom and equality for everyone

if you really got wishes it would be important to get the most out of them.

Most improved Dgamer?
I don't know. PJB is probably the best newbie? Seems like dabunz has really picked it up recently. I think Ranmaru improved a bunch too.

If you had the choice to kill anyone and get away with it, would you? Why and why not?
Probably have to kill Hitler, am I right? Seems like on balance that would probably be a good thing.
I can't really get behind killing anyone, I think you have to be in a pretty desperate situation before killing someone is the answer.

Same question but replace kill with tickle.
sounds erotic

§7

Now that you have answered a few questions that are a mystery to us:
How is your life going? College/Family/friends/loves/fun/etc
My life is going slowly. More than anything I need to work up the enthusiasm to make things happen in my life, because I'm a bit stuck in my routine and it's not very exciting or glamorous. It turns out it's pretty difficult being an adult and I'm not nearly as good at it as I'd like to be.

I'm actually done with college (which we call 'university'), because I am old. My family are all pretty well, and we get on ok... not amazing but as I said being an adult is hard. My friends I don't see enough of, because they're scattered all over (modern living :ohwell:), but they're cool people and good friends. There's not a lot of love at the moment, but there are prospects, so that's something.

And fun is just being here on dgames, of course. Or maybe it's having a steam account, I don't know. FUN IS HARD.

Would you still hang out with me even though I talk about ****s all the time? (I obviously wouldn't talk about my **** to you if you don't like talking about ****s, I'll respect your non-**** talk, people that only talk about ****s are boring people)
We can still hang out. We can have a designated time for talking about *****, preferably after alcohol is consumed.

When are you coming to Apex?[
When I start ****ting golden eggs, and consequently have the necessary time and monies to afford such a trip.

When you do, will you drink with us?
Yes.

When we hydra, what do you think our comparability rates would be? (Like agreeing on reads, agreeing on what to do, chaos, etc)
75%. I think we agree enough of the time on what to push and vote for. You're probably more active than me but that's fine, I'm happy to sit in the background and just discuss things with you.

Even if we don't mesh well, would you still try? :3
I'd be up for it, yeah. I'm not feeling mafia right now, but you're always welcome to ask if there's a game you feel like playing.

Why do you keep your gender a mystery? (Girl or boy you are still mah buddy)
Because I find it hilarious, and because I don't think it's that important, and I don't really keep it a mystery... I just don't make much effort to tell people.

What brings you to smash?
I don't even smash. Can you believe it? I used to play 64 and melee casually, but I can't even wave-dash. I wound up here because I'm friends with X1 (who doesn't hang around here anymore, though he still plays melee). I barely ever step foot outside of dgames.

How often do you compete (if you compete at all)
Are you good at smash? Which smash game(s)?
Nope x 2

When will you play skype mafia so we can hear your lovely foreign voice?
Maybe sometime. Timezones are a bit of a *****. I actually got Skype recently so *shrug*

From a scale of 1-10 how comfortable would you be in rooming with dgames? (At apex)
I'd probably get drunk and not give a ****. 7.5/10 because i don't know what any of you are like in person.

What are your hobbies aside from possibly mafia/videogames?
dancing and handicrafts

What are your top 3 most meshable hydra partners and why?
marshy b/c swag and smarts to boot
X1 because I know him well enough to work well together.
Kataefi because it's basically a tea party, you feel me?

top 3 hydra partners you would not mesh with?
*shrug*

What do you think of me as a person? (Be honest)
I think you're a bit hyperactive but you seem like an honest and nice guy.

How about as a player? (Be honest)
I think you're a good player, you have a lot of energy and can make good insights. I think you make up your mind too quick sometimes, and sometimes you need to work more with other players, listen to them, get them to listen to you. Also you're very shy as scum. But I like the way you play, dude.

Who do you look up to?
Tall people

People who spend their time helping others.

What is your first memory of me?
Newbie 17, and then getting super mad at you in Epic Rap Battles.

What do you think you should improve in your mafia play? Have you been working towards it?
I need to stop thinking i'm good and getting complacent. I think I can be very good, but I have to put the legwork in and keep looking at things and working things out.

Do you plan on meeting Eurodgamers or anything?
I don't have any plans to, but it would be cool if it happened.

What song do I remind you of?
This is just what popped into my head. It's a really upbeat song, and a bit ridiculous too.
I don't want you, though, sorry dude.

What is the best way for the both of us to work as town to find scum?
Pressure people and give them nowhere to hide as scum.

§8

-Top 3 Books
Night Watch, Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Long Dark Tea-TIme of the Soul.

I don't know, man.

-Top 5 Movies
Good Will Hunting, Bourne Identity, Fight Club, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Dark Knight

*shrug*

-Top 5 TeeVee Shows
-Top 7 Video Games
-Top 10 Characters (any media)
(see §6)

-Top 5 favorite things to eat
Burrito, Burrito, Pizza, Curry (prolly a Balti or similar), Ramen

I mean it depends on my mood but whatever.

-If you could have any super power what would you have?
being omnipotent and omnibenevolent

-If you could have any realistic skill (not a super power) what would you have?
Fashion sense

-If you could achieve any realistic goal what would you like to achieve?
Settle down with someone nice.

-What would an ideal world be for you?
see the question about wishes I guess (§6)

-What is your dream occupation?
2nd ambassador to the Great Sky King and part time jewel thief.

-What is your earliest memory?
When I was three years old, I got a toy crane for christmas, it was about 2" tall, and it was the coolest thing, you have no idea. You could turn the arm around and it had a little winch to raise and lower the hook. I must have played with that thing for ages, sat in front of the christmas tree. Anyways, that's the earliest memory I can put a date to.

-Tell us about a day in the life of Seph Kary.
I get up, potter about, maybe do some work, eat something, play too many videogames, try not to drink to much, and go to bed too late.

-Have you ever been in love or thought that you had been in love?
yes

-How often do you dream? What's the best dream you've ever had?
I'd say I only have dreams I remember maybe once a month. Quite often I'll wake up and remember my dream, but then quickly forget it. I had a dream a few years ago, it involved myself and a young lady in a holiday villa in the mediterranean, that was a pretty good one.

-Who would you say are the strangest Dgamers?
All of them.

-What do you look for in a woman and/or man romantically? What would be the ideal qualities of your wife and/or husband?
Wel-roundedness

-If people had pokemon types, what type would you be most attracted to?
Ghost

-If you could have just one pokemon in real life (youd be the only one with a pokemon) which would it be?
Gyrados. People don't argue with a Gyrados.

-What is your Myers-Briggs personality type?
I don't know. I don't really care enough to find out. Screw labels, man.

Probably INTJ or whatever one is introverted/analytical.

-If you could kill a person of your choosing and get away with it, would you?
(§6 again)

-If you and Zen were to hydra, do you think it would work out?
Probably not great, I think we approach the game pretty differently.

-How do you typically go about reading people and making decisions as town?
Constantly ask yourself why someone would do something as town/scum, and force players into making value judgements about things/other players.

I normally establish my townreads and work down from there. Sometimes I will end up with too many townreads and have to re-evaluate who I might be wrong about.

-How old are you? What do you look like? Are you a lemon in real life?
20-something. Like an overtired skinny 20-something. Yes.

-What would you say is your best quality?
I stand up for things I believe in.

and I have a cute butt

-If Dgames was a game of mafia, who would be town, indy, and mafia?
The mods would all be mafia. EE would be indy.

§9

where in the world is Carmen sandiego?
Right now? Probably retired, sat somewhere with a margarita and a sea view. I'd say South America.

How is Europe?
It could be a bit cleaner, and has probably more languages than it strictly needs, but as places go it's pretty interesting and worthwhile.

A bear attacks you! What do you do?
Avoid the bear.

Top 5 worst disney movies?
ehhhhh.
wait, 102 Dalmations. that film was garbage.

Top 5 best disney movies?
Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Jungle Book

My mtg colors are red and white. You?
Red, maybe Red/Black. I'm a big fan of aggressive decks, and trying to make the absolute most out of the seven cards you start with. Stromkirk Noble is the card that got me interested in Magic again, it's just ridiculous value for a 1-drop and puts it on your opponent to find an answer.

What does Kary mean?

I was impressed by you in my Toonami mafia, What did you think of your play and that set-up?
Thanks! I think I played just fine that game and made the right calls, but a lot of that was being able to talk stuff out with people and listen to my townreads. As to the setup, I felt like it was pretty well balanced and easy to follow, even though there were quite a lot of PRs floating around. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the gambler role WATT had, It just seemed a bit too complicated and crazy for my liking. Don't get me wrong, as a mod I love complicated roles, but as a player they're a headache.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

Kate Middleton, obviously; a.k.a. Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge.
It's actually treason to be better looking than Kate.

Who needs a hug?
Everyone needs a hug sometimes.

Favorite role as town, mafia and Indy?
Vigilante, Ninja, Bulletproof.

What needs to happen around here?
More cake.

What is a Ruy?
It's like a medium-sized dog or something?

What is a Rake?
It's like a garden implement used for collecting leaves.

What is a J?
It's like a little songbird.

What is a Xonar?
It's like a kind of echo-location technology.

What is a soup?
It's like a liquid foodstuff made by boiling stuff down.

What is a Circus?
It's like a group of performers and acrobats.

§10

im sorry for bein a **** to you in a game awhile back. i dont remember what game i just remember giving you a hard time when i didnt have to
it's okay beau, all water under the bridge now anyways.

speaking of which what drives this "be friendly" philosophy you got goin? not a bad thing but you consistently harp on it and your sig attests to it so im wonderin what drives it
Life is difficult and complicated enough as it is without people being ***** to one another, you know what I mean?

Now sometimes you're going to be mean to someone or whatever without really meaning it or intending to, but yeah. On a medium like the internet where you take the time to type something to another person, it's not that much more effort to just censor yourself a little and not bother posting something if really you're just being mean.

As to why... well, it might sound stupid, but I don't believe there's anything to stop the world going to **** if people don't treat one another right. Now maybe being nice isn't the same thing, but yeh...

i was enjoying the flavor of tranquility cuz it seemed original. i dunno if it actually was but it was different enough from the usual themes and the effort was apparent. the setup was good too while being simple. the only whack parts had nothing to do with you so i hope you mod a game around here again
Cheers dude. Check §3 for some more about it if you didn't already.

if you had to have sex with 5 pogeymans who would they be?
ninetails, dragonair, gardevoir, raichu, lapras

this question ended up being a lot easier to answer than I thought it would

uh...

if dgames was a school what would the cliques/groups be? who would eat together during lunch? what would groups do together in their free time? who would gossip together? who would be tight with who strictly based on personality?
it'd be like it is in reality, except with matching uniforms.

the most physically attractive man/woman in the world is your lover. however they have no personality and you must choose one dgamers personality to implant them into the husk (could i have chosen a more unappealing word here?) to bring it to life so yall can (hopefully) live happily. remember you live with this person. you sleep with them. you consistently conversate with them. who do you choose and why?
nah this feels too close to a serious question for me to answer it. much as I like you guys i don't think I want to spend my life with any of you.

hate to tell you like this though.

on a scale of 11 to 100 with 11 being "its the best thing in my life" and 100 being "its the best thing in the universe and every existence" how much do you enjoy your nickname of karebear?
it's nice to have what I consider an affectionate nickname (as opposed to a mean-spirited one). It's also nice that you keep the right pronunciation of 'Kary'.

I would say it's better than ice cream

any players you consistently have difficulty reading? any you feel you are ahead of the curve in terms of accurately reading?
I can read J like nobody's business. I don't think i've ever misread him, except for Persona where I assumed he was town because I was scum (he was indy). The trick is to just ask him if he's town, because he can't lie and keep a straight face.

I wouldn't say there's anyone I consistently struggle to read, but I find it difficult to get a solid read on anyone until serious business starts going down. You know how, once you learn the scumteam, you realize how obvious it was? I think it's because the clues are always there, but it's tricky to sort them from all the other nonsense going on.

Soup is someone that I nearly always townread, and I don't always catch myself until it's too late.
Nabe is someone I can never get a solid read on until endgame, at which point it will become glaringly obvious, because he suddenly pulls out all the stops as scum.

I think the only people that I always have trouble with are the ones who play like turnips, i.e. they don't do anything.

favorite word and why
my favourite word at the moment is 'butts'

butts butts butts

it's a pretty good word to say, and it reminds me of nice-looking butts. what more could you ask for?

favorite quote and why
at the moment this is my favourite:

"If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed, am I right?"

-Modest Mouse, 'Lives' (lyrics Isaac Brock)

I really like that you can read it two ways- like, do you want to be disappointed? Or would you just be disappointed with what you wanted? There's a kinda tension there between the two that makes it interesting.

this one is pretty good, though:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

-Douglas Adams

if you could change anything about this room would you? what would it be?
we should have an annual awards ceremony. we'd vote on different categories like 'best scum performance', 'most improved', 'best pun' and 'looks best in a dress'

oh and bring back the dgamer user title

is there anything the community as a whole can work on to make the room more enjoyable?
y'all can remember that we're all friends here, even if we are ugly and stupid and salty and petty.

BE FRIENDS

§11

Is this where your name comes from?
Yes.

When it comes to pronounciation, I always assumed it rhymed with scary, or Mary. If I wanted to be called Carrie, I would have spelt it like that, you know?

I've never really had a consistent name online, and when it came to picking something for smashboards, X1 pointed out that anything longer than about 5 characters is going to end up being shortened (case in point, 'X1-12' ). Kary seemed like a good choice for whatever reason.

Do you enjoy having everyone think you might be a girl, but aren't really sure? Or is it super annoying?
Since I answered the previous question that asked this, it has become super annoying.

Gorf said:
Can I actually have some of your sex if you're giving it out? I don't look like my profile pic I PROMISE I'm much better looking.
How about now?
"Can I actually have some of your sex" dear lord is this not the greatest chat up line ever, I don't even.

What is your favorite party in Chrono Trigger?
I have a confession to make.

If you were going to make a character for a DnD/Pathfinder/Roleplaying game, right now, what class would it be?
Rogue. 24/7 Rogue. Maybe a bard. But I find warrior/wizard classes boring, and I'd much rather play a skillful/acrobatic character that is agile and can jump or sneak around doing a lot of different things.

Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle is?
ehhhh

ehhhh

Best version of Power Rangers?
The first series, with the Green Ranger in it. He was such a maverick, love that.

Are you a big spoon, or a little spoon?
both, but not normally at the same time.

If you could only eat one flavor of Ice Cream for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Vanilla. Unlike a lot of flavours, vanilla is a nice complement to other foods so it's just the most important one to have.

Do you think you're actually in danger of the rhythm getting you, or is Gloria Estefan just a fear-monger?
I think the one fear we all have deep in our hearts is that the rhythm will get us. That being said, Gloria Estefan should know better than to go around making people worry, rather than reassuring them and offering them the support they need to cope.

You're hanging out in a room with all of dgames. The power goes out, and the room goes dark. You feel a hand on your butt. Whose hand is it?
On average, i'd say Nabe.

Whose do you want it to be? ;)
Gemma Arterton

You can consider this the punchline for the joke I spelled out instead of making, back in §1.

Write a haiku about me?
PrivateJoker-Brown
widely known around the town
disreputably

*shrug* I just like a haiku to end with one word.

§12
What is your opinion on America as a whole?

This was going to be a wordy answer, but I don't really know where to start. The USA is a big freaking place, and it has its fair share of flaws, but I'm sure you could do worse.

Nice looking flag, though.

Who is your favorite AMERICAN DGamer?
I'm not good with favourites as it is, and I wouldn't want to single someone out anyways.

Who is your favorite NOT AMERICAN DGamer?
" "

What's a Kary?
A Kary is the feel of sunlight on your skin on a warm summer's day.

Can I Carry a Kary?
I'd prefer if you didn't.

Where did Kary come from?
A stork dropped me off.

§13

whod make good dgames couples?
Nabe and Circus are a cute couple. You and J would make a pretty good couple, I imagine. Xonar & Seph, of course... I feel like i'm missing someone. Ehh.

if yu had to play spin the bottle with 5 other dgamers whod they be?
All the good looking ones I guess.

why do you sign off some posts as karyyu? is that some weeaboo thing?
Karyyu, or sometimes Karryu, is my drunk alter-ego, so named because I can't ducking typoe properly when im drunk.

if dgames was a mafia game what would the roles be?
I feel like it would probably be Bad Idea Mafia, you know what I mean?

match dgamers to their closest justice league counterparts
Superman - Tom
Batman - EE
Wonder Woman - J
beyond that I really have no idea. Actually not very good at superheroes.

who do you want to see in the justice league?
I want more ladies in the justice league. Ladies need justice, too. Hawk Girl, Black Canary, Batwoman, I'm not fussy.

tell us a lil bout your theater career. if you and j were to both act in a play together what would you choose? fanfics adapted into plays are encouraged optional
so I alluded to this elsewhere (below, §14), but I've never had an actual acting career. I was in a bunch of different school plays as a kid, normally in kinda middling roles (I was one of the dwarves in the hobbit, for instance), but never actually did that well at drama. I'm pretty good at public speaking, but not so much acting.

If J and I were both in a play? I don't know. I do like Romeo and Juliet: a tragic tale of postal service failures.

§14

This picture is the question now

How much do you hate me now?
ahhh not too much, don't worry.
Why do you stick around this obviously deeply disturbed community?
I actually like some of the people here.

wait, what?
Will you fight for the rebellion, or against it?
I'm generally against fighting.

mermaids or Furries?
mermaids

Write a fanfic about dgames, acting in a play about the Justice League, in which everyone plays the member who's body curvature most closely matches their own.
Sold2; Oh hey Nabe, nice aquaman costume.

Nabe; Thanks! You look great as hawk girl. Maybe we could (raises left hand) hook up sometime?

CURTAIN

How cube shaped is your body ?
About average

Do you meaning theatrical career or "theatrical career".
Well I started off as one of the three kings in the school nativity play. I don't know whether I hit the bottom when I was playing a tramp, or playing a prostitute, but I don't really want to talk about it.

When someone asks "Yes or no" with no context, which do you always answer and why.
no

If you had to rate your acting on a scale of 1 to Unholy ACTING TALLLENT! How many Calculons would you give yourself?

§15
Do you agree with his statement? Would you date this guy based on this evidence, since he's fishing for it so hard:

Looks like a potato. Sorry dude.

Do you think we are focusing too much on your gender? If so, please explain your gripes about it.
You might be. I'll manage, though.

Are you and X1 related? If not, how do you two know each other? I'm pretty sure X1 introduced you to this scene.
I went to school with X1, and I still see him fairly regularly.

Now that you (might) reveal your gender, do you feel you can be honest with us now and become closer with dgames? (Example, you don't have to hide things from us, you can complain about your actual life to us, etc etc)
To be honest I'm pretty happy in the relationship I have with dgames. I like to feel as though I'm a part of this community, but that doesn't mean I want to get super involved in it, do you know what I mean? dgames is where I come to chat and play some games, and I don't really talk about what i'm up to in real life mostly because I just want to hang out when i'm on here and forget about all that stuff. Also partly because you're a bunch of crazies on the internet :D

Do you think we are all dirty pervs? Or just normal people that have the healthy need to talk about ****s sometimes?
Probably somewhere in between.

What is your favorite past-time?
The 1920s.

:awesome:

What are your goals in life?
I would love to be able to finish this interview. Beyond that, I would also like some food. And to visit the moon.

Were there questions you did not wish to answer? Who asked them?
Probably the hardest question to come up with an answer was soup asking what I think of America. As I said before, it's just kind of a mammoth question and there isn't really a short answer.

Other than that, there were some questions that I kinda just skipped through because I can't really come up with a sensible answer, even if it seems like a reasonable question. Rake's time travel question (see §16 below) is one example.

There were probably a few questions that I skipped over completely that can be suitably answered with one or both of the following:
no / :rolleyes:

If you turn out to be a boy, does that make Gorf gay?
No. That's not how it works, you know.

If you were at the edge of a cliff with Ranmaru in one hand and Zen in the other, who would you lift up? Why would you prefer to lift this person instead of the other? Explain how you'd mourn for the other, if you would at all. Explain how heart broken you'd be.
You're supposed to tell me that one of you is going to die if I don't lift them up. This just reads like we're standing on a cliff edge holding hands (d'aww).

Now, if this was some sort of life or death situation, I would obviously lift both of you up, because it doesn't do to have people dying like that. It's going to be fine, you hear me? IT'S GOING TO BE FINE.

And if one of you ended up dying I would probably weep softly into a cup of hot chocolate two nights a week.

§16

When the world is a crazy place, is the answer to be crazy ?
If the world was just crazy, you wouldn't know any different. If you have a choice, then it's up to you. I wouldn't recommend it.

Fish

Who is the best pokemon professor ?
Oak

Do you play / Have you played pokemon ?
Played blue and gold when they came out, enjoyed both of them. Got sapphire but gave up on it a couple times before I finished it. I just don't care about new pokemon, or pokemon contests, or having a secret base, or whatever else nonsense.

Who's your favorite pokemon ?
My lvl 96 Charizard from when i played through blue using only him. Slash/Ember/Flamethrower/Earthquake, IIRC. There are better moves but I don't need them, I need PP.

In general, it used to be Dragonite, but he's a bit derpy.

What is your dream job ?
writing pithy one-liners. I figure you do a couple a day you've plenty of time for other things.

Would you rather be rich or a genius ?
I think i'm smart enough to get by. I'll take the money now, thanks.

How's england ?
vaguely triangular in shape. some fairly impenetrable accents in places. tea is very popular, and we have our own queen. the grass is a lovely green and things aren't as good as they used to be, don't you know?

also we don't drop letters out of our words.

You ever gonna make a north america trip ?
not in the near future. it's something i've considered, but I can't justify going just for the thrill of it right now.

One place you've always wanted to visit but never have ?
I swear to god you asked me this already you *******

One place you visited and regret visiting.
There was a beach in Spain i went to as a kid on holiday, and it was about 5% cigarette butts by volume. It was gross, and a big disappointment.

Been on any bender's worth talking about lately ?
I've not been especially drunk for a good while now. Hate to disappoint you.

How do you tame a dragon ?
with a lot of patience, I imagine.

A women ?
:glare:

Given one opportunity to time travel, where / when would you go to ?
Holland, 1945

How annoying is it for you to constantly be asked about your sex here?
I don't have enough hands to strangle you all at once.

§17
What questions should (Sworddancer) be asking you and what are the answers to those questions
:glare:

[So Kary, tell us a joke]

How warm is a tauntaun?

lukewarm

[What's your favourite drink?]

As in, alcoholic? An Alabama Slammer, though generally I drink beer. Brooklyn lager is my favourite recently.

Non-alcoholic is probably either sparkling apple, or coffee.

[What's your spirit animal?]

A deer.

What's your best town performance in your opinion? Best mafia performance?
I would say my best mafia performance was probably as indy in Tekken mafia. I don't roll a lot of scum roles, but that's probably the one I had the most success in, and felt I was doing well. Admittedly there was a lot of scum kicking about that game.

My best town performance has probably got to be something like Enter the Hardbody. I said at the time that I don't think I took a single step wrong that game, and although I didn't necessarily put in anymore work than anyone else (town did well all round), I would say it was one of my best performances overall. I also thought I did well in your Newbie 19, where I had laid down a lynch order with every single scummer at the top by the time D3 rolled around... but then I couldn't stop my own lynch so :(

What do you feel is your strongest aspect as a player (like your reads, your persusivness, your scum play, ect.)?
It's hard to say. I don't play all that consistently, but the one thing I am always trying to do is get a feel for what's going on, and who is pushing what. I often find that the easiest way to find scum is to watch how people change their stances. The ability to re-evaluate your reads and keep pursuing different theories is really important to success in mafia, or in finding scum at least, and I think that's probably the aspect that I'm best at. Being persuasive or hiding my scumminess, not so much. I think it's telling that the times I've done the worst in games often involve me sticking to my guns and over-committing to something (the end of luigi's mansion springs to mind).

How do you feel about Persona mafia?
I'm glad it's over.

I was way too busy IRL at the time and probably should have just replaced out. I felt that I did ok, but I honestly wasn't expecting a recruiting role, so that was pretty awkward. By the time results swung around, there was **** all I could do and it was super frustrating. Turning up mafia to the cop, and indy to the mafia rolecop? Yeah GG.

I just recently read over Day 4 over again of Persona 4 mafia and realized that I had you/PJB/OS pinned at one point or another and the only reason I was town reading Circus was because I was being dumb and then I LET ALL OF YOU ****ERS GO. Isn't that feeling the worst?
I've never had that problem, I'm afraid, so I wouldn't know. But no-one's ever going to play a perfect game of mafia so you have to just try and learn from your mistakes and not have them weigh too heavy on you, ya know? You played real strong that game as I recall so don't sweat it.

Is there anyone who influences your mafia play style? Anyone you look up to?
Swiss. marshy. kuz. EE. X1. Kata. J.

None of these people play the same, but in my opinion they're all strong players, and they all do some things really well. There's a lot of room to learn in mafia, and you can't win by playing every single game the same. I don't think you get any better by trying to emulate other players, but if you can see what someone is doing and understand why then maybe you can pick up some of the skills that they have.

Some of it is also probably magic.

How did you discover mafia and what do you like most about it?
I think I answered the first half of this already- from my buddy X1.

I think what I like most about mafia is a) trying to read people and get in their heads, sifting through a playerlist to find scum, and b) the way different roles, rules and setups interact to do different cool things- particularly when it comes to claiming those things.

The thing is, as i've learnt more about different roles in mafia, some of b) that I found cool and interesting I don't think is so great anymore... I kinda prefer just simple semi-open setups at this point. Also, much more recently, I've just not felt like putting the energy into a)... it can be fun trying to read people but it can also be a lot of work.

Maybe the thing I like best about mafia overall is c)... the cool stories that you get to tell. When marshy fake-claimed governer in the twilight of epic rap battles. Nabe's 4-shot vigilante neighbourizer claim in tekken. I mean, hell, look at our most infamous quote - "Actually, I'm the dayvig" (not exactly how it happened, but anyways). The shenanigans and nonsense that goes on that's funny and absurd. Those weird moments that stick with you, I think that's probably the best part of mafia.

There was one time I was playing IRL with some friends, and after about 10 minutes the guy to the right of me turns to me and claims a guilty result (i'm town). And I have this weird realization like "oh **** he is doing this and I know he is scum, now I just have to prove it, daaamn."

I got lynched :awesome: :p But it's that kind of thing.

Is there a certain approach you have to reading people?
Force people to have an opinion and ask them to back it up. Pressure people on things you find suspect. Try and see both sides of a slot... the points both for and against them. Ask yourself why someone would do something as scum. And give players room to breath, and yourself time to re-evaluate.

§X

[So Kary, how do you feel about this interview all in all?]

I'm tired, talk to me when it's not 3am.

THANKS FOR PLAYING DGAMES: INTERVIEW 2014

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Yo Kary I swear I don't look that ridiculous anymore, if you wan you can PM me and we can have sexy chats online and flash each other on camera or something.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
lol

Potato head

btw I read it

will comment later

homework

procrastinating

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Mods would be mafia? I see how it is. >:E

Shout-outs to my fellow Rogue, though!

-dead- @ the justice league play.

And now I'm mad because you disparaged Gen 3. >:[

Good read yo!

*clapclapclap*

Handorin

Smash Hero
Is a snowcone just icecream, yeah? You probably like toffee or something, I don't know.
Is England deprived of snow cones?
It's really just shaved ice with flavoring. Nothing special. Not as good as ice cream.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Most improved Dgamer?
I don't know. PJB is probably the best newbie?

Thoroughly satisfied with this interview. I don't usually read the entire thing when people do these, but I read every word of this one. 10/10 would read again.

Real talk though, you need to go play Chrono Trigger, wtf?!

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
so i knew karebear was a dude the whole time but didnt wanna say **** cuz i found gorfs posting the way he did while legitimately believing karebear was a girl too hilariously awkward to interrupt

[collapse=]

karebears role from tekken mafia said:
Mystic Booty

At Night you can use the command Mystic Bootify: Player A, replacing A with the name of any living player in the game. You will flirt with them. They will be notified of this but will not know your player or character identity other than "mystery woman".
[/collapse]

keep shakin dat mystic booty

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
good read. thanks for reminding me how much i like Justice. gonna go listen to their stuff again :)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This interview made me smile several times. Hit me up if you need help with your cooking business.

:059:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
thanks guys

@Hando - yeah we don't get snow cones over here. we get slushies and ice pops, but not snow cones. *shrug*

@PJB - yeah Chrono Trigger wasn't released over here until the DS version, and I still haven't bought a DS yet, so yeah. It'll happen I'm sure.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ #HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy : I was wondering if I was the only one to remember that Kary told us he was a dude in the first game we ever played lol

Trick question, I never eat snowcones!

*evil laughter*

(They're just not quite as good to actual icecream imo, though still okay in their own right... just really easy to find fantastic icecream/frozen custard in Wisconsin so I've never had the need. Also no to the toffee thing, that's not my style.)

Take the good things with you and leave the bad in the past.
Also your avatar is pretty funny but not always the guy you ought to be.

Mmmm that's solid advice actually.

Also I entirely agree that those little moments are the best part of mafia. Every successful fake-claim is just a little bit magical.

EDIT: That Nabe ninja is possibly the creepiest thing that's ever hit dGames, even creepier than that nodding gif :nervous:

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Kary told us on more than one occasion. I knew Kary was man and I'm not POSITIVE but I'm pretty sure I've never been in a game with him.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Really chill interview, I can only echo Gheb's sentiment about this interview.

Your advice to Ran is probably the best and most concise advice he has ever been given. TAKE NOTE OF THAT RAN.

Your answer the the "How's England" question read like a Beatles song.

Tell me what you think of America.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
No worries

I'll stay the same me for ever and ever

The me will always be with me in my core of me

Because then I'd be fake. I'll try to remember that. It's hard though.

Axel

J|Zεη
This would probably be the point where I go on a lecture about gender, but the tl;dr is that wanting to be a pretty princess is not the same as wanting to be a girl.
Mind elaborating?

What is more important to you, freedom or equality?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Vote: Ran

s
orry dgames i was actually planning on keeping up and updating the thread but a lot of crap went down in my life lately and i need some time to get everything sorted out now. when im back again ill pull this thread up to par

Top Bottom