• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Developing arrow accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching some videos of the higher up Pit's, and I have to say it's scary how accurate some of you are with those things.

The question I have is, how did you develop them to that extent?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Arrow looping isnt generally important. Just learn the basics, which involves NO arrow looping, mixing up your tactics from spacing with F-airs and arrowing, and more.

Just don't focus on the ATs. tbh, just don't loop arrows at all, or at the very least, don't focus on them. You'll leave urself open, and as a Pit player who has looped arrows for over a year, I know the major consequences of the looping. Trust me.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I made myself a practice stage with 1 platform for pit,
and several other smaller platforms (spaced out unevenly)
then i go to practice mode, and set the computer to lv9 + run, and shoot arrows.

when u get good at that,
set your computer to lv 7 + attack, and practice camping(but on a normal stage)

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Admiral, when would you recommend working the AT's into your game?

I've been playing the game for a while now, and it feels like I'm stuck at a point where I can beat the snot out of noobs, but still lose 75% of the games I play against the guys who can actually throw down at tournaments.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the game for a while now, and it feels like I'm stuck at a point where I can beat the snot out of noobs, but still lose 75% of the games I play against the guys who can actually throw down at tournaments.
maybe because you focus too much on using flashy AT's.
they're generally useless, i reccommend taking time to focus on pit's actual playstyle.

for a start, watch some japanese pits ;D they seldomly use AT
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196834

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
maybe because you focus too much on using flashy AT's.
Actually, the only time I even attempt to arrow loop is when my roommates insist on more than 1v1's, then I sit in a corner and try to peg them from behind :chuckle:

I never use anything other than normal shooting in 1v1s, and I suppose it was a mistake for me to mention arrow rain in the OP. What I was asking for was actually a good way to practice general accuracy for shooting targets on different platforms and arrow gimping.

On a related note, I'm loving the level you suggested. I'm actually working on my aim with it right now.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I've made similar levels, and either used smash balls for targets (put CPU in a corner far away to make the screen larger) or made actual physical obstacles with the stage to shoot my arrows around, like a maze sorta.

Best way to learn is really just to... use them.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Training mode -> Pick up a stage -> Put an smash ball to fly over -> Arrow loop or the straight one.
This should do the work.
Mine got rlly better with this x)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Once again, DON'T focus on arrow loops! It's just about pointless in the more tough matchups, say like R.O.B. The problem here is that ppl see some loops in Pit videos and then try to do it themselves, but that itself hurts Pit's potential quite a bit. With everyone focusing on it, you leave yourself vulnerable a lot.

Just do basic arrows to apply pressure to opponents, and it helps when you want to edgeguard them too.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
The problem here is that ppl see some loops in Pit videos and then try to do it themselves, but that itself hurts Pit's potential quite a bit. With everyone focusing on it, you leave yourself vulnerable a lot.

Just do basic arrows to apply pressure to opponents, and it helps when you want to edgeguard them too.
i agree.
pls pls pls stop focusing on arrow loops,
pit is never going to get higher in the tierlist if we use AT's all the time.

if you decide to use it, try not to use it more than 3 times in a game.
it seriously messes you up, leaves you vulnerable.
not to mention, aiming a looped arrow sucks, its not worth it.

on a sidenote, i like the smashball idea, i hadn't thought of thattt.

rinoH

Smash Lord
Once again, DON'T focus on arrow loops! It's just about pointless in the more tough matchups, say like R.O.B. The problem here is that ppl see some loops in Pit videos and then try to do it themselves, but that itself hurts Pit's potential quite a bit. With everyone focusing on it, you leave yourself vulnerable a lot.

Whoa since when did Admiral Pit not support arrow looping lol i mustve been gone for awhile

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
but admiral in ur match against sage you did like crazy arrow looping with 2 and you werent punished

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Yeah, but he does it like over a year now. He says its useless, but he wants to be unique.
It might be usefull sometimes, but not like looping every arrow you shoot, like I used to do. x')

Don't copy things of his vids, I did the same mistake and my pit was a failure.
Create ur own style. If you wanna add arrow loops, be my guest, but I only say it's not that good.
(It looks cool tho, I love it when it actually hit, xD)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ayoub is correct on this. You just need the basics, and quote me here:

"Fancy things come with a big price."

Arrow looping is fancy, getting punished more easily is the "price."

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Ok another question. Do you tilt the control stick when you fire the arrow, or do you jam down when it's within range?

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Hm... let me try wording it different. When you fire an arrow, do you direct it immediately with a slight turn? Or do you wait until is nearly to the opponent and then jam down on the d-pad?

sagemoon

Smash Lord
ok everyone lol i am fear, i train under sagemoon like every day. (we started playing melee together back in the day) and admirals right, the point he is trying to make is that you should not base your match on arrow looping. it dosnet really even show that you are good at pit. if you watch a tournament match of sagemoon or myself, you will see very little arrow looping. you will see some, because it thows off the apponent if used right, but its used to scare them, not really do damage or combo. lol and if your trying to learn how to arrow loop look on youtube. they are usefull when used right, dont abuse them and you will be fine. im confident that i can beat the average player using pit without arrowing and thats what its really about. then when you add arrows it ups your game. dont spam arrows, probe with them. and read sagemoons how to be a pit main thread on aib.

edit: this was not sagemoon lol, he left his account on at my house. noob.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
You can arrow loop with mirror shield out <its safe!
you can arrow loop 4 arrows at once <for the arrow rain
you can combo into a 10 hit plus true combo <never going to happen in a match though
you can play pit w/out arrow loops <for the win

Oh and what I did to practice aiming was make a really large flat stage with platforms going up one side and an opponent on top of the platforms (to stretch the screen) Then just practicing the loop timing and aiming for specific platforms.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
you can combo into a 10 hit plus true combo <never going to happen in a match though

Oh and what I did to practice aiming was make a really large flat stage with platforms going up one side and an opponent on top of the platforms (to stretch the screen) Then just practicing the loop timing and aiming for specific platforms.
You can also loop with AR < Safe for projectiles and does damage. x')

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
You can also loop with AR < Safe for projectiles and does damage. x')
at the start of a match/stock you can squeeze off a couple arrows to start looping, and then do a combo of looped arrows w/ hitstun.
(1)fire arrow>(2)hit with a looping arrow>(3)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(4)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(5)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(6)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(7)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(8)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(9)depending on how far away your opponent is, follow up with appropriate attack.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
at the start of a match/stock you can squeeze off a couple arrows to start looping, and then do a combo of looped arrows w/ hitstun.
(1)fire arrow>(2)hit with a looping arrow>(3)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(4)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(5)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(6)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(7)hit with a fired arrow while they are in hitstun>(8)hit with a looping arrow while they are in hitstun>(9)depending on how far away your opponent is, follow up with appropriate attack.
Sorry, but the hitstun of a arrow doesn't take 2 seconds, (the time to loop a arrow)...

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
if you watch a tournament match of sagemoon or myself, you will see very little arrow looping. you will see some, because it thows off the apponent if used right, but its used to scare them, not really do damage or combo.
Thats what I've been trying to get at.
It's a great alternative to throw off the opponent.
It shouldn't be spammed, because then it becomes easily predicted.

edit: this was not sagemoon lol, he left his account on at my house. noob.
~lulz of the day ;D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

Looping with Mirror Shield out asks u to get grabbed
Why even mention stupid raining.....
Dont even get that in ur mind
Just use no loops, period.

That's for arrow practice, but y bother when most Pit players now-a-days just try to do them stupid ATs and not even learn the basics?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
^ This is an example of no help at all. We are supposed to be finding ways to improve Pit. The first thing we shoulda done in the first place is learn the basics, less fancy junk, learn the matchups, and whatever. I even lost some of my fancy side interest because I see many failing because of them tricks.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Admiral is right. Pit has potential to become a top 10 character in this game IMO. We need to learn the basics. Once we get that down, Pit will be so good and actually feared in tournaments. Arrows control the field extremely well. As a Pit player, you should always be in control of the match. Snake and Diddy players would not be as good if they didn't know how to control the field w/ their respective projectiles.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
if higher level players think it's fine to loop arrows,
then that same mind-set travels down the ladder to n00bs,
and then they practice AT's more than los basicos.

i wanna change that!
ima be mastaBOOM one day, fosho.

goodkid

Smash Lord
if higher level players think it's fine to loop arrows,
then that same mind-set travels down the ladder to n00bs,
and then they practice AT's more than los basicos.

i wanna change that!
ima be mastaBOOM one day, fosho.
I keep envisioning 5 Pit players coming from nowhere and actually demonstrating all that Pit has to offer. You sir, should be one of them. The basics is where its at. Danny and Masashi hold onto the basics.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I keep envisioning 5 Pit players coming from nowhere and actually demonstrating all that Pit has to offer. You sir, should be one of them. The basics is where its at. Danny and Masashi hold onto the basics.
oh gawd. masashi ftw <3
i wish i could speak japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom