• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Determinism vs. Free Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know where you pull your definitions, Dre, but how about:

Wikipedia said:
In philosophy of mind, dualism is a set of views about the relationship between mind and matter, which begins with the claim that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dualism_(philosophy_of_mind)

This is pretty much exactly what I just said.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy said:
In the philosophy of mind, dualism is the theory that the mental and the physical — or mind and body or mind and brain — are, in some sense, radically different kinds of thing.
Again, dualism just means that there are two (dual) kinds of things.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dualism/

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy said:
Dualists in the philosophy of mind emphasize the radical difference between mind and matter. They all deny that the mind is the same as the brain, and some deny that the mind is wholly a product of the brain.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/dualism/

All About Philosophy said:
Dualism is the concept that our mind is more than just our brain
http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/dualism.htm

This nonsense about "a perfect realm of infinite ideas" is not a necessary component of this.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Alt, yes that's what's dualists do, assume a distinction between physical and non-physical, but that's not all they do. Of course in articles relating to philosophy of mind, they probably don't explain the realm of ideas because that's not relevant to philosophy of mind.

You do realise that countless works have been done by theists, AKA non physicalists, criticising dualism right?

Can you explain what hylomorphism is then, or panentheism? These are just two examples of non-physical theories that are not dualist. In fact, hylomorphism is the Aristotelian counter to Plato's dualism, the former believing that existence precedes essence, and the latter vice versa. These two non physical theories are rivals.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Once you claim that there's a separate plane of existence which is not our physical universe, I'm going to call you a dualist. I don't care if this separate plane is a bunch of minds, souls, gods, or perfect ideas.

Maybe certain theists don't like the dualism label, so they claim to not be one. But that's not my problem. If you say there's something else "beyond", "in addition to", or "parallel to" our physical universe, you're a dualist. It's like someone who doesn't believe in any god but doesn't want to be called an atheist. Well, too bad.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You're just showing you're lack of education in philosophy.

'Non physicalist' is a far more appropriate term.

What you're doing is like saying that every scientist believes that science is omnipotent, or that every athiest is an atheist because of the argument from divine hiddenness, or that every athiest has no morality.

Seeing as you feel it's justified to straw man and oversimplify philosophy, I guess I can do that with science too then?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm just applying a simple and clear definition. I fail to see a straw man, here. If, in the course of this debate, you claim that the mind is something more than just your brain I'm going to call you a dualist. As per all the many sources I've cited. And the obvious meaning of the word itself. The nature of the other world you believe in is irrelevant.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Apart from the fact that saying anyone who believes in the non physical is a dualist is wrong, why can't you just say non- physical? What do you have to lose? Apart from being called out on wrong terminology and being uneducated?

That's like if we were having a debate about the metaphysical necessity of God, and someone called me religious, even though I'm not, simply because a lot of people who believe in God are religious. Then when I call them out for it, they say 'if you're going to argue that a God exists, then you must believe in divine revelation and institutions that covet such doctrine'.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, let's recap here then shall we?

Dre begins by stating:

Dre said:
Alt label every non physicalist a dualist, which isn't always the case.

So then I defend this position by stating that according to literally every source I can find, a non physicalist is necessarily a dualist. Which also concurs with the philosophy courses I took in college. (*gasp* Alt actually has taken multiple philosophy courses? It's true. A+'s in all of them. You probably don't want to hear what I thought of them. But I'm just uneducated, so whatever.)

But wait! Apparently Dre has some super secret alternative definition for the word Dualism that applies in other contexts. Apparently in that context it means you believe in a platonic world of forms. That's nice, but rather irrelevant here.

Dre, you obviously know what I mean by Dualism. I have spelled it out as plainly and painstakingly as anyone can. Even every resource online agrees upon the same definition. What you are doing is insisting upon some alternate definition of the word Dualism and asserting that I must be using it. I am not.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dualism encompasses a lot of things, what you're referring to is specifically mind body dualism.

However, this thread wasn't the first time I've seen you use the word dualism, which suggested you thought to me that simply any belief in the non physical made you a dualist.

NNID
Budget_Player
Note: my previous responses that you addressed are in green.

Ok, we’re making progress. We have drawn the distinction between qualia(e.g. pain) and causes of qualia(e.g. electrical nerve activity).
You say however that the things we experience aren’t real.
...No, actually this is a big fat straw man. I'm saying that there is no reasonable distinction between what we experience and this "qualia". Here, let me make an analogy to what you are advocating.

Every time you press a button, two things happen. First, you get an electrical shock. Second, electricity travels to your soul, an invisible, impossible to detect part of you that you have no active relation to. If this did not happen, you would not notice the electrical shock on your body until you saw the electric burns on your skin, because the reaction of your senses is not the same as what we "truly feel". Sounds patently ridiculous, right? Well, guess what. :glare:

I'm sorry for being aggressive here, but I really have no tolerance for this kind of crap. What you are advocating is something that goes beyond what we can see, feel, and experience, and just posits a supernatural explanation where none is necessary. I don't know how I can make this more clear to you: this "Qualia" is a made-up step in the stimuli-response process that is completely unnecessary and requires the assumption of something we neither know nor can inform ourselves about. These "feelings" you get are entirely chemistry and electonic connections. There is neither evidence for nor a necessity for this extra step, or for the soul in such a case.
The only thing I said with regards to this issue is that “We can still use our reason to see if something makes sense”; in other words, we do not have to empirically verify every scrap of knowledge to judge it in a meaningful manner. You responded that we in fact cannot, and I proceeded to give a sufficient counterexample, and you acknowledged it as proof that “We can still use our reason to see if something makes sense”. That’s all that’s going on here.
i.e. Intuition/common sense, which is a poor way to go about determining truths. Again, Kalam Cosmological Fallacy.

I think you may have missed the point. I did not say “There is no way to prove that our senses cause us to experience pain”. I said “There is no way to prove that anyone but you experiences pain in the first place.” It plays into the whole Philosophical Zombie example.
Yes, but can you say that you have proven the Philosophical Zombie example wrong? No. No, you have not. It is completely feasible. Why? Because "common sense" is still a terrible way to figure things out.
“I am a human being. I experience things. There are other human beings similar to myself. Therefore, it is likely that they experience things as well.”
>Assuming I am a human being
>Assuming that other human beings exist
>Assuming that even if other human beings exist they are not actually philosophical zombies

See the problem? There is a good reason I try not to deal with this kind of crap because everything eventually comes down to either Solipsism or "common sense", the former of which gives us absolutely nothing to work with and the latter of which has a notoriously poor track record for things we can establish.
How do you define “reason” and “logic” anyways?
If this P Zombie example is acceptable proof of the premise, “We can still use our reason to see if something makes sense”, why should we pretend that it is not true?
No, it's acceptable proof that we have to use "common sense" to get somewhere at all. You can't go from "I think, therefore I am" to anywhere else.

You say the existence of a soul has never been demonstrated? I beg to differ. First off, what do you mean by this, do you mean empirically verified via scientific testing? We agreed that, although it would be supportive if we could scientifically demonstrate it, it is not a necessity. Now lets look at the evidence.
Well... we have the scientific method, and we have pure logic... And then we have "common sense", which you can essentially pull out of your *** and call "good". Case in point:

The kind of evidence that supports the existence of something other then our chemical make-up consists largely of first-hand experiences.
Ah. Oh dear. This won't end well.

I want to look mainly at those experiences that fall into the category of Out-of-Body experiences or Near-Death experiences.
Oh **** my life, this will be bad. :laugh:

Firstly, what is a NDE? It "refers to a broad range of personal experiences associated with impending death, encompassing multiple possible sensations including detachment from the body; feelings of levitation; extreme fear; total serenity, security, or warmth; the experience of absolute dissolution; and the presence of a light." NDE are in many cases accompanied by OBEs. (Wikipedia)
What is an OBE? It's "an experience that typically involves a sensation of floating outside of one's body and, in some cases, perceiving one's physical body from a place outside one's body" (Wikipedia). One in ten people has experienced an OBE at least once in their lives, according to http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823141057.htm. Side note: this is the sensation one achieves when performing astral projection.
Oh man, you think that's deep and meaningful? You should check out dreaming.

No. Stop. STOOOOOOOOOP. Near-death experiences and Out-of-body experiences are about as good at proving the existence of a soul as dreams of Him, the fact that the universe is governed by national laws, and the existence of the bible are at proving the existence of Yahweh. The only thing that these things have to tell us is "The human imagination is pretty far-out". But hey, because just making stupid assumptions is not exactly my cup of tea, here's something I managed to find with about two seconds on PubMed which, surprise surprise, explains OBEs without invoking the supernatural. Why am I not surprised by this at all? NDEs? Same deal.

Again, in a debate like this, at least some basic understanding of neuroscience would be of great advantage to you. I recommend that before you make claims that make you look about as honest and well-informed as Michael Behe and William Lane Craig ("I can't explain X, therefore it must be a soul!"), you at least determine that you know what the **** you are talking about (i.e. making sure that there isn't a widely available naturalistic explanation for X; you sound like someone asking, "Well if evolution is true, then how did the eye or the bacterial flagellum evolve?").

I would venture to guess that you have most likely not experienced either an OBE or an NDE. It's quite easy to say that every person who has experienced one of these is just hallucinating, or going through some kind of brain-death process, if you have never had such an experience yourself. You can dismiss such claims as anecdotal/insignificant, but the people who have these experiences in most cases have their lives completely changed. But before you simply dismiss this as BS, I want to point out something else to you.
It's not only anecdotal and insignificant, it's also demonstrated false by the scientific research. Furthermore, you can say "they had their lives changed" "they're totally different" "they saw god" all you want; a hallucination, especially a vivid one combined with the sensation of dying, can have a very, very deep impact on a person's psyche in the same way that, say, watching their loved ones get eaten around them can. This does not indicate a change in some "soul" whose existence we have yet to establish.

Now what may surprise you is the fact that many people in OBEs/NDEs have accurately described things that they had never seen or heard previously before.

What can you make of examples like these? Clinically brain dead/no brain activity whatsoever, no heartbeat, no breathing, and yet such accurate descriptions? From your position, how are these kinds of experiences and accurate re-telling even possible? They should not exist, and yet they do!
Hmm... Let's see here. First there's the fact that this is an isolated case. Then there's the phenomenon of "Brain Dumping". And finally there's very poor reason to believe the story is not full of ****. There are actually a lot of viable explanations for this, ranging from "She was making **** up" to "during erratic brain activity, she saw things that matched up with what she thought would be reality and held on to that"... And then there's this wonderful explantion I found on randi.org.

Oh, I'm sure that part's well-documented. It's her memories that are anecdotal. Can anyone specify when she had these visions? I don't think so. Could have been before, could have been after, could have been during -- nobody knows, and there's no way to know. It's anecdotal. Case dismissed for lack of objective evidence. Any conclusions that she experienced out-of-body projection/visions/near-death remote viewing is leaping to a biased conclusion. In fact, no conclusion positive or negative can be drawn here. It's a nice story, it really is, but that's all it is.
(also, in the same thread, a proposal was made to test such out-of-body/near-death experiences: put a note on somewhere in the room after the person is put out of it, and then have them read it when they wake up. Wouldn't that be a wonderful controlled, scientific test of the hypothesis? Why hasn't that happened? Oh right, because people know that this whole field is full of ****, and it's all but certain to fail miserably, therefore being a massive waste of time and money.)

Let me remind you that this is not an extremely uncommon case to hear of. The quantity and quality of anecdotal evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the existence of something other then our chemical make-up.
Just out of curiosity... What's your take on the anecdotal evidence for Bigfoot, Nessie, and alien anal probing? I mean, there is a lot of that stuff, and I mean tons of it. The pieces anecdotal evidence for miracles or visions of god number in the millions... for each of the directly incompatible abrahamic gods alone. Just some food for thought. No, there's a damn good reason that Anecdotal evidence is not used: it's about as good as no evidence at all.

Don’t underestimate our intuition. Can you explain how it is possible that it feels like we have free will and yet it is an illusion? Why don't we feel compelled to do all of our actions in certain ways if we really don't have free will?
How the hell should I know? Better question–why should I care? Our intuition has been abused often enough to be completely discredited as a source of valid information without further investigation. Its track record is beyond horrendous in regards to reality. Philosophy? Maybe. But as said, there's a good reason I try to avoid this field. I just don't want bull**** pseudoscience to get spread around, like your NDE = Soul crap.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Just saying, equating what Suntan says to philosophy is a straw man, that's like thinking that the theistic arguments that Dawkins addresses in the God Dellusion are the ones that sophisticated theists actually make.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Reaver:

I didn't read the whole essay. (It's very long) But the "Part 4" hits most of what I've been saying in this thread. Only with more philosophy terms and less sciencey terms.
Yeah, it is. I highly recommend reading through it though. I found it very entertaining, especially the section where he talks about the various mental and neurological issues that have resulted from injuries and/or disease, and what that means for the monist/materialistic point of view and the dualist/soul point of view. Very interesting cases.

I could've sworn someone else had posted EbonMusing stuff before, was it BPC?

I also pretty much agree with the author's stance on the whole free-will determinism thing. I take the small degree of separation though in that there might not really be "free-will" in any implemented sense, but that since we cannot ever tell exactly how the forces of nature and the brain will play out in any particular person, we act like they have free-will and are choosing their actions. A minor detail however.

Such an odd debate between you and Dre. It somehow always seems to ends up with you justifying your answers with sources, and then Dre just calling you uneducated in philosophy, lol.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
...No, actually this is a big fat straw man. I'm saying that there is no reasonable distinction between what we experience and this "qualia". Here, let me make an analogy to what you are advocating.

Every time you press a button, two things happen. First, you get an electrical shock. Second, electricity travels to your soul, an invisible, impossible to detect part of you that you have no active relation to. If this did not happen, you would not notice the electrical shock on your body until you saw the electric burns on your skin, because the reaction of your senses is not the same as what we "truly feel". Sounds patently ridiculous, right? Well, guess what.

I'm sorry for being aggressive here, but I really have no tolerance for this kind of crap. What you are advocating is something that goes beyond what we can see, feel, and experience, and just posits a supernatural explanation where none is necessary. I don't know how I can make this more clear to you: this "Qualia" is a made-up step in the stimuli-response process that is completely unnecessary and requires the assumption of something we neither know nor can inform ourselves about. These "feelings" you get are entirely chemistry and electonic connections. There is neither evidence for nor a necessity for this extra step, or for the soul in such a case.
I feel like we are going in circles. Electricity does not equal emotion. Electricity only enables us to feel emotion. Emotion is something we feel. Electricity is electricity. This distinction exists whether you like it or not. My questions were pertaining to whether or not these feelings are "real". However, it seems that you do not have any interest in answering them, so I'll answer them myself, and if you disagree with something just point it out and then give your own answer.

1- How do you define "exists"? The way I define it is something that has any kind of effect, whether observable by us or not, on reality.
2- Can something that does not actually exist have any kind of effect on reality? No, it cannot. Otherwise it would exist.

By this criterion things like emotions, ideas, and consciousness exist, not as physical entities, but as subjective experiences. Do you disagree with any of this?

i.e. Intuition/common sense, which is a poor way to go about determining truths. Again, Kalam Cosmological Fallacy.

Yes, but can you say that you have proven the Philosophical Zombie example wrong? No. No, you have not. It is completely feasible. Why? Because "common sense" is still a terrible way to figure things out.

>Assuming I am a human being
>Assuming that other human beings exist
>Assuming that even if other human beings exist they are not actually philosophical zombies

See the problem? There is a good reason I try not to deal with this kind of crap because everything eventually comes down to either Solipsism or "common sense", the former of which gives us absolutely nothing to work with and the latter of which has a notoriously poor track record for things we can establish.

No, it's acceptable proof that we have to use "common sense" to get somewhere at all. You can't go from "I think, therefore I am" to anywhere else.

Well... we have the scientific method, and we have pure logic... And then we have "common sense", which you can essentially pull out of your *** and call "good". Case in point:
I'm not going to bother with any of this. Apparently we have, among other things, two entirely different and irreconcilable ideas of what the term "reasoning" means. So let's agree to that and focus on the arguments relevant to free will so that we don't get off-topic.

It's not only anecdotal and insignificant, it's also demonstrated false by the scientific research.
Hold up. What are you talking about? Provide sources?

Oh man, you think that's deep and meaningful? You should check out dreaming.

No. Stop. STOOOOOOOOOP. Near-death experiences and Out-of-body experiences are about as good at proving the existence of a soul as dreams of Him, the fact that the universe is governed by national laws, and the existence of the bible are at proving the existence of Yahweh. The only thing that these things have to tell us is "The human imagination is pretty far-out". But hey, because just making stupid assumptions is not exactly my cup of tea, here's something I managed to find with about two seconds on PubMed which, surprise surprise, explains OBEs without invoking the supernatural. Why am I not surprised by this at all? NDEs? Same deal.

Again, in a debate like this, at least some basic understanding of neuroscience would be of great advantage to you. I recommend that before you make claims that make you look about as honest and well-informed as Michael Behe and William Lane Craig ("I can't explain X, therefore it must be a soul!"), you at least determine that you know what the **** you are talking about (i.e. making sure that there isn't a widely available naturalistic explanation for X; you sound like someone asking, "Well if evolution is true, then how did the eye or the bacterial flagellum evolve?").

Furthermore, you can say "they had their lives changed" "they're totally different" "they saw god" all you want; a hallucination, especially a vivid one combined with the sensation of dying, can have a very, very deep impact on a person's psyche in the same way that, say, watching their loved ones get eaten around them can. This does not indicate a change in some "soul" whose existence we have yet to establish.

Just out of curiosity... What's your take on the anecdotal evidence for Bigfoot, Nessie, and alien anal probing? I mean, there is a lot of that stuff, and I mean tons of it. The pieces anecdotal evidence for miracles or visions of god number in the millions... for each of the directly incompatible abrahamic gods alone. Just some food for thought. No, there's a damn good reason that Anecdotal evidence is not used: it's about as good as no evidence at all.
Of course you would dismiss these experiences people have had. That is certainly understandable. But like I said before, you don't truly have the right to completely disregard what I said as a possibility because you have not experienced them yourself. But anyways, I want to focus more on that specific case I presented to you which you so callously glossed over. I know AltF4 didn't even read it.

Side note: Haha. I saw what you wrote before your edit. "Well if evolution is true, then where are the transitional fossils?" Indeed. But we'll get to that later. :)

Hmm... Let's see here. First there's the fact that this is an isolated case. Then there's the phenomenon of "Brain Dumping". And finally there's very poor reason to believe the story is not full of ****. There are actually a lot of viable explanations for this, ranging from "She was making **** up" to "during erratic brain activity, she saw things that matched up with what she thought would be reality and held on to that"... And then there's this wonderful explantion I found on randi.org.
Let me restate the salient aspects of the account for you:
-She accurately recalled conversations that occurred while she was clinically brain dead and her heart and breathing were stopped.
-She accurately described a surgical instrument that she had never seen before.

So, let's look at your "explanations" one by one.

-You say this is an isolated case? Ok, if you want me to I'll find more examples like this, just say so.
-Brain dumping. How is this even related?
-"Story is full of ****" And what might be your justification for making such a claim?
-"She was making **** up." Seriously? And she just happened to be correct, right?
-"Erratic brain activity" So this explains how someone can recall a conversation that occurred while they were clinically brain dead?
-"Can anyone specify when she had these visions? I don't think so. Could have been before, could have been after, could have been during -- nobody knows, and there's no way to know." She said she watched doctors working on her lifeless body. This shows that she had these visions during her period of brain death. Also, the doctors can fully well tell when a person is clinically brain dead. But more importantly, this does not explain how someone can recall a conversation that occurred while they were clinically brain dead.

Now, what exactly does this case prove?
-It proves that consciousness can exist independently of the functions of the brain.
-It proves that there are ways of gathering information other than our basic physiological senses.
-It proves that there is more to a human than our physical reality.

These are precisely the things that I have been arguing for. Now do you have any real objections to this account?

(also, in the same thread, a proposal was made to test such out-of-body/near-death experiences: put a note on somewhere in the room after the person is put out of it, and then have them read it when they wake up. Wouldn't that be a wonderful controlled, scientific test of the hypothesis? Why hasn't that happened? Oh right, because people know that this whole field is full of ****, and it's all but certain to fail miserably, therefore being a massive waste of time and money.)
Way to jump to conclusions. First of all, many people cannot control their OBEs. OBEs are something that we know very little about. You would have to find a lot of people who had some degree of control over their OBEs for a study like you suggest. Maybe it is simply too difficult to test a large number of people in a feasible study. And because most people assume, not know, that OBEs are BS they won't want to test it anyways.

Besides, the case I presented is one of many that show that people do in fact observe events/details while experiencing an OBE, that they could have never known about, that are later verified to be true. There are scientists that do research on this topic and collect various accounts of NDEs that have verifiable details in them. Like I said before, just give me the word and I'll bring these accounts to you. So this proves that OBEs/NDEs cannot be just hallucinations.

How the hell should I know? Better question–why should I care? Our intuition has been abused often enough to be completely discredited as a source of valid information without further investigation. Its track record is beyond horrendous in regards to reality. Philosophy? Maybe. But as said, there's a good reason I try to avoid this field. I just don't want bull**** pseudoscience to get spread around, like your NDE = Soul crap.
I guess it is up to you whether you decide to trust your intuition or not.

Also, this is somewhat of a philosophical topic. But I don't really like to think in terms of philosophy vs. science. Each field of knowledge has parts that overlap with each other.

NNID
Budget_Player
I feel like we are going in circles. Electricity does not equal emotion.
You are wrong and probably stupid.

Alternatively:

Oh look, an unqualified assertion.

Electricity only enables us to feel emotion. Emotion is something we feel. Electricity is electricity. This distinction exists whether you like it or not. My questions were pertaining to whether or not these feelings are "real".
Stimulus-response. Jesus ****ing christ, this is not rocket science. This is neuroscience 101. What you refer to as "emotion" is our body's chemical reaction to outside stimuli. Again: you are still invoking an additional step which is unnecessary. There is NO NECESSITY for this "qualia". Our body provides electrochemical reactions within the brain which offer the construct of consciousness that is created by said processes certain feelings and emotions. I feel like I'm kind of begging the question here, but this is deeply related to the idea that, well, our consciousness is not some ethereal soul thingy, but rather simply a bunch of electronic and chemical reactions. So all right, I'll give you this:

Assuming that there is a soul, then qualia is needed to "bridge the gap". That said, who is really begging the question here, eh? This argument leads in circles because either explanation begs the question, one way or another.

1- How do you define "exists"? The way I define it is something that has any kind of effect, whether observable by us or not, on reality.
I disagree, because if it is unobservable by us, there is no way to determine it existing. It's akin to the problem of "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to observe it in any way, does it make a sound", but instead of answering that, I'm questioning how the hell we even know the tree exists. On a hypothetical level I agree, but on a practical level, I cannot–if we cannot observe something some way or another, there is virtually no way of determining its existence (inb4darkmatter).

2- Can something that does not actually exist have any kind of effect on reality? No, it cannot. Otherwise it would exist.
This we are in agreement on.

By this criterion things like emotions, ideas, and consciousness exist, not as physical entities, but as subjective experiences. Do you disagree with any of this?
No, I don't. But I fail to see how it supports your point. These "subjective experiences" could just as well be simply all that much electrical data running around a biological computer which simulates a reality (i.e. our brain). Once again, in order to get anywhere on this line, you have to beg the question and assume that the soul exists. This is, of course, not a valid line of argumentation. Regardless of how you frame it, you are not any closer to demonstrating the soul.

I'm not going to bother with any of this. Apparently we have, among other things, two entirely different and irreconcilable ideas of what the term "reasoning" means. So let's agree to that and focus on the arguments relevant to free will so that we don't get off-topic.
I'll just say "Kalam Cosmological Argument" and hope you realize what you're doing wrong. :glare:

Hold up. What are you talking about? Provide sources?
I did. Read the post again and you'll see two PubMed links documenting naturalistic explanations for both out-of-body experiences and near-death experiences. At that point, the soul, once again, becomes an unnecessary complication.

Of course you would dismiss these experiences people have had. That is certainly understandable. But like I said before, you don't truly have the right to completely disregard what I said as a possibility because you have not experienced them yourself.
This paragraph just made me lose a few IQ points. Congratulations, you are approaching SaveMeJebus levels. :laugh:

Side note: Haha. I saw what you wrote before your edit. "Well if evolution is true, then where are the transitional fossils?" Indeed. But we'll get to that later. :)
Oh right, I almost forgot about that... The evolution example was chosen simply because the science involved is so well-established and well-supported. On that note, please, PLEASE make that thread soon. Debates where I can cleanly and decisively stomp the living **** out of people with scientific facts tend to be much more fun than debates where this degree of Philosophical ******y(tm) is not only good, but probably necessary. :awesome: MOVING ON.

But anyways, I want to focus more on that specific case I presented to you which you so callously glossed over. I know AltF4 didn't even read it.
Yes, I callously glossed over it. Why? Well, first off, the site you mentioned was not a primary source, I couldn't find a primary source, and I'm about as likely to trust a site so clearly shilling as a source as I am, say, CreationScienceMinistries.org. Secondly, I'd like to make a point about the following things:
-A Bone Saw
-The exact run-down of an operation
-The statement that her veins and arteries were very small
-The amount of hair taken
These are the things she brought up that land in the realm of reality. Each of them have a naturalistic explanation beyond "her consciousness was floating around outside her body".

SL, have you ever experienced a Deja Vu? Yes, knowing you, it's probably clairvoyance, but let's just pretend that the scientists have a clue what they're talking about, and that it's simply the brain having a slight malfunction, probably something to do with short-term/long-term memory.

Such things are also common to happen during dreams: you dream something, and then the next day it happens! Actually though, this has a very different reasoning behind it: natural confirmation bias. That is, you remember the part of your dream where you had a bowl of cereal in your kitchen in the morning alone, and then when it happens, you think "oh wow, precognition", while ignoring the part of your dream where you tried to escape from an off-world prison through a drain pipe that was obviously way too small and clogged with feces, and your body ends up stretched and squeezed to abnormal lengths (I have weird-*** dreams).

So, how does this relate to the case before? Hmm... Well, let's look down that list again.
-A Bone Saw
-The exact run-down of an operation?

The Bone Saw is easy: how the hell are you even going to begin to claim that she had never seen one before? She was in a hospital. Even if she hadn't seen it before on, say, TV for example, it's not exactly unlikely that such a thing would be lying around somewhere for her to see.

The rundown of an operation is generally something that the hospital personell gives you before any major operation. This is not news.

During the countless injections that she had before the operations, it's very, very likely that someone brought up the fact that her veins and arteries were very small–that's the kind of thing that the surgeon team should know before attempting a procedure like that, and claiming that she wouldn't overhear it at some point is kinda ridiculous.

She could easily see how much of her hair she had left after the operation.

So here we have four pieces of information that she almost certainly had, at some point or another, before or after the operation. We have established very, very well that the subconscious mind is very good at playing tricks on itself, especially in favor of believing what we want to believe (when we speak in tongues at the pentecostal church for example, it is not us performing some bull**** ritual, it is god speaking through us–stuff like this is what I mean)...

That said... I don't have all the information. There's a lot of stuff involved that matters that we simply do not know. But failing further information, I'd say that this easily throws reasonable doubt on the issue, to the point where if this is your best evidence for a NDE, then your case is really fairly weak. And seeing as you're trying to establish a case for the supernatural, you're really going to have to do better than that.

Let me restate the salient aspects of the account for you:
-She accurately recalled conversations that occurred while she was clinically brain dead and her heart and breathing were stopped.
-She accurately described a surgical instrument that she had never seen before.
Just FYI, this is bull****. Both of 'em.

These are precisely the things that I have been arguing for. Now do you have any real objections to this account?
Yep. It's, for all intents and purposes, the only well-established non-anecdotal piece of evidence, and it's still fairly poor as far as such things go.

Way to jump to conclusions. First of all, many people cannot control their OBEs. OBEs are something that we know very little about. You would have to find a lot of people who had some degree of control over their OBEs for a study like you suggest. Maybe it is simply too difficult to test a large number of people in a feasible study. And because most people assume, not know, that OBEs are BS they won't want to test it anyways.
I'll take all but the last sentence. But that leaves an interesting question... How the hell do you ever want to establish the truth of any OBEs? Come on, do science. Let's have some kind of controlled test.

Besides, the case I presented is one of many
Calling bull**** on that claim.

that show that people do in fact observe events/details while experiencing an OBE, that they could have never known about, that are later verified to be true.
You must be a real fan of John Edward, AKA the cold reader, AKA biggest douche of the universe. ^_^

There are scientists that do research on this topic and collect various accounts of NDEs that have verifiable details in them. Like I said before, just give me the word and I'll bring these accounts to you. So this proves that OBEs/NDEs cannot be just hallucinations.
Let's limit this a little bit to something that could be more than playing darts in the dark and occasionally get me a hit: give me something that is specific in both content and timing, that they truly could not have known, that isn't self-fulfilling, and that has better than anecdotal documentation. Have fun.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Reaver- Look up dualism as a general term. If you call someone a dualist, that's different to saying they're a mind body dualist.

Alt has used the word dualist outside of this debate, so he clearly thought it simply meant believing in the non physical.

:phone:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You see, Dre, in English words can have more than one meaning. Confusing as it may be, that's how the language is. While there very well may be a context in which the word "Dualism" means something very specific which pertains to believing in a platonic world of perfect forms, that is not the word's only meaning.

I will again quote the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (Emphasis Mine)

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy said:
This entry concerns dualism in the philosophy of mind. The term ‘dualism’ has a variety of uses in the history of thought. In general, the idea is that, for some particular domain, there are two fundamental kinds or categories of things or principles. In theology, for example a ‘dualist’ is someone who believes that Good and Evil — or God and the Devil — are independent and more or less equal forces in the world. Dualism contrasts with monism, which is the theory that there is only one fundamental kind, category of thing or principle; and, rather less commonly, with pluralism, which is the view that there are many kinds or categories. In the philosophy of mind, dualism is the theory that the mental and the physical — or mind and body or mind and brain — are, in some sense, radically different kinds of thing. Because common sense tells us that there are physical bodies, and because there is intellectual pressure towards producing a unified view of the world, one could say that materialist monism is the ‘default option’. Discussion about dualism, therefore, tends to start from the assumption of the reality of the physical world, and then to consider arguments for why the mind cannot be treated as simply part of that world.
Which is precisely how I have been approaching my arguments in this thread, and how I've been using the term Dualism.

So yes, to say that you are a "non physicalist" is to say (in this context of the word) that you are a dualist. (Or possibly pluralist) Because you believe that there is more than just the physical as a fundamental kind of thing. Pretty straight forward.

Furthermore, if you have seen me use the term Dualism in other threads, it will naturally be in the context of that discussion. If we're talking about minds and bodies, then dualism has a clear meaning. If we're talking about theology, dualism has a different meaning, etc...

My use of the term has been perfectly correct, as I've cited many definitions to show. It is intellectually dishonest to invent a new definition onto a word (or use an alternate definition out of context) and hold me to it. Especially after I've gone to such great lengths to be clear about how I am using the word. It's just an elaborate way of putting words in my mouth. An offense that would not be new to Dre. I know it's much easier to debate when you get to have your opponents say what you want, but that's not how it works here.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The encyclopedia entry says it's concerned with philosophy of mind specifically. The dualism you're talking about is mind body dualism.

You've used dualism outside of the free will discussion (and outside of philosophy of mind), and it wasn't clear that you specifically meant mind body dualism. You can't expect me to know that you've only heard of the word dualism in relation to mind body dualism. If you use dualism as a general word, I'm naturally going to assume you don't mean a specific version.

Now that I know you mean MB dualism, that's all well and good, but that wasn't clear from the start.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
You are wrong and probably stupid.
Get over yourself. That was uncalled for.

Alternatively:

Oh look, an unqualified assertion.

Stimulus-response. Jesus ****ing christ, this is not rocket science. This is neuroscience 101. What you refer to as "emotion" is our body's chemical reaction to outside stimuli. Again: you are still invoking an additional step which is unnecessary. There is NO NECESSITY for this "qualia". Our body provides electrochemical reactions within the brain which offer the construct of consciousness that is created by said processes certain feelings and emotions. I feel like I'm kind of begging the question here, but this is deeply related to the idea that, well, our consciousness is not some ethereal soul thingy, but rather simply a bunch of electronic and chemical reactions. So all right, I'll give you this:

Assuming that there is a soul, then qualia is needed to "bridge the gap". That said, who is really begging the question here, eh? This argument leads in circles because either explanation begs the question, one way or another.

No, I don't. But I fail to see how it supports your point. These "subjective experiences" could just as well be simply all that much electrical data running around a biological computer which simulates a reality (i.e. our brain). Once again, in order to get anywhere on this line, you have to beg the question and assume that the soul exists. This is, of course, not a valid line of argumentation. Regardless of how you frame it, you are not any closer to demonstrating the soul.
You see, qualia are not a process. Qualia are no more than subjective experiences like the kind we just agreed to. I'm sure we can agree that everyone has subjective experiences, regardless of what their essence may be. Now that we have agreed to at least something regarding qualia I can at last show what exactly they demonstrate. Now we are finally ready to look at the big question. Are you ready?

What, exactly, is it that is conscious? Is it our bodies? Do our bodies experience pain? Are our bodies conscious? Is it our brain? Are our brains conscious? Do our brains feel pain? Is it some gland, or some organ, or something like that?

What is it, exactly, that experiences things?

The way I see it, from your materialistic standpoint you have two equally unviable answers. The whole human body, or just a certain part of the body. If it's the body that is conscious, why can't we feel anything when someone pinches us in our sleep? If it's the brain for instance, why can I still feel pain if only my foot is stabbed? The soul/mind is necessary to explain this important aspect of subjective experiences. It is not our bodies, nor our brains that experiences these things. It is US!

When you say, "The brain is a supercomputer that simulates reality", what is the thing that experiences that reality?

I disagree, because if it is unobservable by us, there is no way to determine it existing. It's akin to the problem of "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to observe it in any way, does it make a sound", but instead of answering that, I'm questioning how the hell we even know the tree exists. On a hypothetical level I agree, but on a practical level, I cannot–if we cannot observe something some way or another, there is virtually no way of determining its existence (inb4darkmatter).
I could respond by saying that something can exist regardless of our attempts to figure out if it exists.

I'll just say "Kalam Cosmological Argument" and hope you realize what you're doing wrong. :glare:
I don't see any problem. But whatever. We are blind to our own faults.

I did. Read the post again and you'll see two PubMed links documenting naturalistic explanations for both out-of-body experiences and near-death experiences. At that point, the soul, once again, becomes an unnecessary complication.
Those explanations are far from adequate.

This paragraph just made me lose a few IQ points. Congratulations, you are approaching SaveMeJebus levels. :laugh:
You laugh now. You won't be laughing if happens to you. I guarantee it.

Oh right, I almost forgot about that... The evolution example was chosen simply because the science involved is so well-established and well-supported. On that note, please, PLEASE make that thread soon. Debates where I can cleanly and decisively stomp the living **** out of people with scientific facts tend to be much more fun than debates where this degree of Philosophical ******y(tm) is not only good, but probably necessary. :awesome: MOVING ON.
Don't worry, good things come to those who wait.

Yes, I callously glossed over it. Why? Well, first off, the site you mentioned was not a primary source, I couldn't find a primary source, and I'm about as likely to trust a site so clearly shilling as a source as I am, say, CreationScienceMinistries.org. Secondly, I'd like to make a point about the following things:
-A Bone Saw
-The exact run-down of an operation
These are the things she brought up that land in the realm of reality. Each of them have a naturalistic explanation beyond "her consciousness was floating around outside her body".

SL, have you ever experienced a Deja Vu? Yes, knowing you, it's probably clairvoyance, but let's just pretend that the scientists have a clue what they're talking about, and that it's simply the brain having a slight malfunction, probably something to do with short-term/long-term memory.

Such things are also common to happen during dreams: you dream something, and then the next day it happens! Actually though, this has a very different reasoning behind it: natural confirmation bias. That is, you remember the part of your dream where you had a bowl of cereal in your kitchen in the morning alone, and then when it happens, you think "oh wow, precognition", while ignoring the part of your dream where you tried to escape from an off-world prison through a drain pipe that was obviously way too small and clogged with feces, and your body ends up stretched and squeezed to abnormal lengths (I have weird-*** dreams).

So, how does this relate to the case before? Hmm... Well, let's look down that list again.
-A Bone Saw
-The exact run-down of an operation?

The Bone Saw is easy: how the hell are you even going to begin to claim that she had never seen one before? She was in a hospital. Even if she hadn't seen it before on, say, TV for example, it's not exactly unlikely that such a thing would be lying around somewhere for her to see.

The rundown of an operation is generally something that the hospital personell gives you before any major operation. This is not news.

During the countless injections that she had before the operations, it's very, very likely that someone brought up the fact that her veins and arteries were very small–that's the kind of thing that the surgeon team should know before attempting a procedure like that, and claiming that she wouldn't overhear it at some point is kinda ridiculous.

She could easily see how much of her hair she had left after the operation.

So here we have four pieces of information that she almost certainly had, at some point or another, before or after the operation. We have established very, very well that the subconscious mind is very good at playing tricks on itself, especially in favor of believing what we want to believe (when we speak in tongues at the pentecostal church for example, it is not us performing some bull**** ritual, it is god speaking through us–stuff like this is what I mean)...

That said... I don't have all the information. There's a lot of stuff involved that matters that we simply do not know. But failing further information, I'd say that this easily throws reasonable doubt on the issue, to the point where if this is your best evidence for a NDE, then your case is really fairly weak. And seeing as you're trying to establish a case for the supernatural, you're really going to have to do better than that.

Just FYI, this is bull****. Both of 'em.
Forgive me, but it is clear from your above comments that you do not understand the significance of this case. I'll try one more time to explain it, as simply as I can.

During the operation the patient was brain dead. Brain dead = no sight, no hearing, no nothing. While the patient was brain dead the doctors operated on her using the mentioned instrument, and the mentioned conversation took place. After she woke up she correctly described both of these things.

Perhaps my wording on the question was misleading. You see, it doesn't matter if she knew about a bone saw beforehand, or if she heard doctors mentioning her arteries beforehand, or anything else. What matters is that she correctly described said events that took place when there was absolutely no physiological way she could have known what events were taking place while she was brain dead. This is the proof, it is right here, in this fact.

I'll take all but the last sentence. But that leaves an interesting question... How the hell do you ever want to establish the truth of any OBEs? Come on, do science. Let's have some kind of controlled test.
How is this? "In 1968, a paper by Dr. Charles Tart was published entitled 'Psychophysiological Study of Out of the Body Experiences in a Selected Subject' concerning a woman who successfully read a 5-digit number while having had an out-of-body experience. This is verifiable evidence of out-of-body perception and supports veridical perception in NDEs."

http://www.near-death.com/tart.html

Or what about this study published in The Lancet?

"On December 15, 2001, the highly respected international medical journal, The Lancet, published a 13-year study of NDEs observed in 10 different Dutch hospitals. This is one of the very few NDE studies to be conducted prospectively, meaning that a large group of people experiencing cessation of their heart and/or breathing function were resuscitated during a fixed period of time, and were interviewed. Through those interviews the doctors discovered who had experienced NDEs. The advantage of this type of study is that it gives scientists a matched comparison group of non-NDE patients against which to compare the near-death experiencers, and that in turn gives scientists much more reliable data about the possible causes and consequences of the near-death experience."

http://mikepettigrew.com/afterlife/html/dutch_study.html

Yep. It's, for all intents and purposes, the only well-established non-anecdotal piece of evidence, and it's still fairly poor as far as such things go.

Calling bull**** on that claim.

Let's limit this a little bit to something that could be more than playing darts in the dark and occasionally get me a hit: give me something that is specific in both content and timing, that they truly could not have known, that isn't self-fulfilling, and that has better than anecdotal documentation. Have fun.
I found some more examples similar to the one I showed you.

Most of these are from http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research11.html.

-1-

"In Dr. Raymond Moody's documentary entitled, Life After Life, he interviewed a Russian scientist named Dr. George Rodonaia, who had a near-death experience during which he observed an infant crying in a nearby room. George observed that no one could figure out why the infant was crying so persistently. But George learned while out of his body that the infant had a broken arm. When George returned to life, he told the infant's parents about the broken arm. An x-ray revealed that the infant's arm was indeed broken. This same incident is documented in Dr. Melvin Morse's book (along with Paul Perry) called Transformed by the Light."

-2-

A particular example cited from the Dutch study.

"{Nurse} During a night shift an ambulance brings in a 44-year-old cyanotic, comatose man into the coronary care unit. He had been found about an hour before in a meadow by passers-by. After admission, he receives artificial respiration without intubation, while heart massage and defibrillation are also applied. When we wanted to intubate the patient, he turns out to have dentures in his mouth. I remove these upper dentures and put them onto the crash car. Meanwhile, we continue extensive CPR. After about an hour and a half the patient has sufficient heart rhythm and blood pressure, but he is still ventilated and intubated, and he is still comatose. He is transferred to the intensive care unit to continue the necessary artificial respiration. Only after more than a week do I meet again with the patient, who is by now back on the cardiac ward. I distribute his medication. The moment he sees me he says:

'{Subject} Oh, that nurse knows where my dentures are.'

I am very surprised. Then he elucidates:

'Yes, you were there when I was brought into hospital and you took my dentures out of my mouth and put them onto that car, it had all these bottles on it and there was this sliding drawer underneath and there you put my teeth.'

I was especially amazed because I remembered this happening while the man was in deep coma and in the process of CPR. When I asked further, it appeared the man had seen himself lying in bed, that he had perceived from above how nurses and doctors had been busy with CPR. He was also able to describe correctly and in detail the small room in which he had been resuscitated as well as the appearance of those present like myself. At the time that he observed the situation he had been very much afraid that we would stop CPR and that he would die. And it is true that we had been very negative about the patient's prognosis due to his very poor medical condition when admitted. The patient tells me that he desperately and unsuccessfully tried to make it clear to us that he was still alive and that we should continue CPR. He is deeply impressed by his experience and says he is no longer afraid of death. Four weeks later he left hospital as a healthy man."

-3-

"Jane Seymour: The famous movie actress who starred in the television series Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, describes the following out-of-body experience during her NDE:

'I literally left my body. I had this feeling that I could see myself on the bed, with people grouped around me. I remember them all trying to resuscitate me. I was above them, in the corner of the room looking down. I saw people putting needles in me, trying to hold me down, doing things.'"

-4-

"In a paper published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies concerning veridical NDE evidence, Dr. Ken Ring included perhaps the most famous case of veridical observation in NDE research at that time. Kimberly Clark Sharp first documented the NDE of a woman named Maria in her book, After The Light. Maria was a migrant worker who, while visiting friends in Seattle, had a severe heart attack. She was rushed to Harborview Hospital and placed in the coronary care unit.A few days later, she had a cardiac arrest and an unusual out-of-body experience. At one point in this experience, she found herself outside the hospital and spotted a single tennis shoe on the ledge of the north side of the third floor of the building. Maria not only was able to indicate the whereabouts of this oddly situated object, but was able to provide precise details concerning its appearance, such as that its little toe area was worn and one of its laces was stuck underneath its heel. Upon hearing Maria's story, Clark, with some considerable degree of skepticism and metaphysical misgiving, went to the location described to see whether any such shoe could be found. Indeed it was, just where and precisely as Maria had described it, except that from the window through which Clark was able to see it, the details of its appearance that Maria had specified could not be discerned."

-5-

"In the summer of 1982, Joyce Harmon, a surgical intensive care unit (ICU) nurse at Hartford Hospital, returned to work after a vacation. On that vacation she had purchased a new pair of plaid shoelaces, which she happened to be wearing on her first day back at the hospital. That day, she was involved in resuscitating a patient, a woman she didn't know, by giving her medicine. The resuscitation was successful and the next day Harmon chanced to see the patient, whereupon they had a conversation, the gist of which (not necessarily a verbatim account) is as follows:

The patient, upon seeing Harmon, volunteered, "Oh, you're the one with the plaid shoelaces!"

"What?" Harmon replied, astonished. She says she distinctly remembers feeling the hair on her neck rise.

"I saw them," the woman continued. "I was watching what was happening yesterday when I died. I was up above." (J. Harmon, personal communication, August 28, 1992)"

Is this enough for you? It didn't take me long to find these. After all, there are hundreds of such documented and verifiable accounts. Do you still think that the evidence is on your side?

You must be a real fan of John Edward, AKA the cold reader, AKA biggest douche of the universe. ^_^
Don't know who that is.

I just thought of another argument. Just look at identical twins! They both have the same exact copies of DNA, yet they often have completely different personalities! Even if they are raised in the same household, and receive the same attention from the parents and the same living conditions, you find in many cases that the differences in personality are not small but rather are very significant. If people are no more than chemicals and molecules, how can you possibly explain this? They are physically exactly the same!

Side note: I hope you are honestly trying to understand my position on this issue as opposed to trying to win an argument. When both people in a debate try to understand one another great progress can be made and both people may learn a lot from each other. However, when a debate turns into a contest to be won for bragging rights it can become very unpleasant and pretty meaningless, not to mention both parties try less to understand each other and instead try harder to prove the other guy wrong. That is NOT why I joined the debate hall, to get into petty arguments. I joined mainly in order to see what I could both learn from and contribute to insightful debates such as these.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
BPC not everyone who believes in miracles believes in cold readers. It's not as as if those who believe in miracles believe every miracle ever claimed, just look at the Catholic Church and how much investigation they do before they declare something a miracle.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
There's no reason to ever believe in determinism. Let's say determinism is true and you come to the conclusion that determinism is true: then you were pre-determined to come to that conclusion, you didn't come to that conclusion through an act of free-choice or rational decision, since such things are merely illusions. On the other hand, let's say determinism is false, then even if you come to the conclusion that determinism is true out of a rational choice, you're wrong!

tl;dr, determinism might be true, but there's no way for us to know, and there's no reason for anyone to believe it is true aside from assuming it's true from the outset.

NNID
Budget_Player
Get over yourself. That was uncalled for.
Not really.

You see, qualia are not a process. Qualia are no more than subjective experiences like the kind we just agreed to. I'm sure we can agree that everyone has subjective experiences, regardless of what their essence may be. Now that we have agreed to at least something regarding qualia I can at last show what exactly they demonstrate. Now we are finally ready to look at the big question. Are you ready?

What, exactly, is it that is conscious? Is it our bodies? Do our bodies experience pain? Are our bodies conscious? Is it our brain? Are our brains conscious? Do our brains feel pain? Is it some gland, or some organ, or something like that?

What is it, exactly, that experiences things?

The way I see it, from your materialistic standpoint you have two equally unviable answers. The whole human body, or just a certain part of the body. If it's the body that is conscious, why can't we feel anything when someone pinches us in our sleep? If it's the brain for instance, why can I still feel pain if only my foot is stabbed? The soul/mind is necessary to explain this important aspect of subjective experiences. It is not our bodies, nor our brains that experiences these things. It is US!

When you say, "The brain is a supercomputer that simulates reality", what is the thing that experiences that reality?
I am done with this conversation. I've made it very, very clear what I mean, and what my stance is, and how this makes Qualia an unnecessary supernatural assumption. Furthermore, your complete mangling of any and all science referring to feelings, emotions, reactions, and your apparent failure to understand the concept of a nervous system or how a body reacts to stimuli while asleep (protip: it's felt, but as a "subroutine" that our brain doesn't deal with consciously... please tell me you at least understand what the subconscious is). You do not have even close to the required knowledge to even come into this debate, so I suggest we drop it here.

I could respond by saying that something can exist regardless of our attempts to figure out if it exists.
Fair enough; this was not one of my brighter sentences, in retrospect.

Those explanations are far from adequate.
Well, as far as trusting sources goes, excuse me for going with peer-reviewed scientific papers above evidence that ranges from second-hand with unclear conclusions to first-hand anecdotes. Excuse me for trusting the scientists who generally spent a lot of time studying this crap over the layman's opinion of a person who has shown himself to be completelyCOMPLETELY; I mean like below what the average high-schooler should know–uneducated in the relevant sciences as far as what constitutes an "adequate explanation". Yes, it is an appeal to authority, but do you seriously think that your understanding of the topic is better than the understanding of these guys? From what I understand, you need a fairly decent pedigree to get your article on PubMed to begin with. But hey, you know what? Here's another one I found in about 10 seconds.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20598679: connecting OBEs to brain functions, specifically malfunctions common in insane people.

Suntan Luigi, I don't really give a **** what your interpretation of the available data is. The fact is, the overwhelming opinion of the scientific community based on the available evidence and up-to-date neuroscience is that out of body experiences are essentially the brain malfunctioning in weird ways. Much the way that epilepsy was seen as demon posession in the olden days, what we have here is an extremely "weird" brain phenomena that seems to point to something more than what it is. it isn't, and no amount of anecdotes, muddled evidence and conclusions, and spooky stories will change that.

Forgive me, but it is clear from your above comments that you do not understand the significance of this case. I'll try one more time to explain it, as simply as I can.

During the operation the patient was brain dead. Brain dead = no sight, no hearing, no nothing. While the patient was brain dead the doctors operated on her using the mentioned instrument, and the mentioned conversation took place. After she woke up she correctly described both of these things.
I'm going to ask you this again, because somehow you must have missed this: do you have a primary source, or at least something more reliable than that website? Maybe the exact words that the woman said that are so crucially important? Because right now we're arguing very fine neuroscientific points. Minute changes do make a big difference.

Perhaps my wording on the question was misleading. You see, it doesn't matter if she knew about a bone saw beforehand, or if she heard doctors mentioning her arteries beforehand, or anything else. What matters is that she correctly described said events that took place when there was absolutely no physiological way she could have known what events were taking place while she was brain dead. This is the proof, it is right here, in this fact.
The question is... did she? There's a reason I'm asking for a primary source here. What exactly she said and how she said it is crucially important. Describing a doctor using a bone saw on a patient is something that she definitely could've known beforehand; her imagination would've filled in the gaps with the doctor being her doctor, and she herself being the patient. Whether or not this is a possible explanation is all dependent on how she chose her wording. This is why getting a first-hand source is so crucially important here. I know that if I ran a site earning a commission off of books on the topic, I'd frame it to look as credible as possible. Here's the thing though: alternative explanations may or may not be possible; this depends entirely on the EXACT run of events. You are painting this as far more fleshed–out than it is; you claim we're looking at a mug shot when all we have is a composite sketch made by the victim after she got a nasty bump on the head (assuming that all you have is that one site; again, please provide primary sources).

How is this? "In 1968, a paper by Dr. Charles Tart was published entitled 'Psychophysiological Study of Out of the Body Experiences in a Selected Subject' concerning a woman who successfully read a 5-digit number while having had an out-of-body experience. This is verifiable evidence of out-of-body perception and supports veridical perception in NDEs."
The direct link gave me "The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator." page; google gave me a malware warning. Do you have a mirror that isn't down?

I'll assume this is it. Well, we're getting somewhere. It was not well-controlled, it was never repeated, and its results are therefore questionable on various levels, but hey, it's something. It does however leave me wondering why the experiment was not repeated, or better yet done so on a wide scale–by now there HAS to be some sort of online support group for OBE-sufferers you can tap, eh? The methodology involved here is, granted, better than nothing, but not much better.

Or what about this study published in The Lancet?

"On December 15, 2001, the highly respected international medical journal, The Lancet, published a 13-year study of NDEs observed in 10 different Dutch hospitals. This is one of the very few NDE studies to be conducted prospectively, meaning that a large group of people experiencing cessation of their heart and/or breathing function were resuscitated during a fixed period of time, and were interviewed. Through those interviews the doctors discovered who had experienced NDEs. The advantage of this type of study is that it gives scientists a matched comparison group of non-NDE patients against which to compare the near-death experiencers, and that in turn gives scientists much more reliable data about the possible causes and consequences of the near-death experience."

http://mikepettigrew.com/afterlife/html/dutch_study.html
Maybe there's a disconnect here... I'm not disputing the concept of NDEs/OBEs as neurological phenomena caused by cranial malfunctions. I'm disputing the idea that what is happening there is anything more than your brain going all screwy on you. As far as I can tell, this article doesn't really support that point very well. Yes, it's got all the typical stuff; tunnel into the light, speaking with the dead, memories of your life, etc.; but all of that is easily explained by, well, that cranial screwiness I keep bringing up. Nowhere is anything reported that would indicate the supernatural. This article, while interesting, is worthless to this discussion because we are in agreement on its conclusions.

-1-

"In Dr. Raymond Moody's documentary entitled, Life After Life, he interviewed a Russian scientist named Dr. George Rodonaia, who had a near-death experience during which he observed an infant crying in a nearby room. George observed that no one could figure out why the infant was crying so persistently. But George learned while out of his body that the infant had a broken arm. When George returned to life, he told the infant's parents about the broken arm. An x-ray revealed that the infant's arm was indeed broken. This same incident is documented in Dr. Melvin Morse's book (along with Paul Perry) called Transformed by the Light."
Anecdotal, unestablished, untested, unscientific. This is not good evidence by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sorry.

-2-

A particular example cited from the Dutch study.

"{Nurse} During a night shift an ambulance brings in a 44-year-old cyanotic, comatose man into the coronary care unit. He had been found about an hour before in a meadow by passers-by. After admission, he receives artificial respiration without intubation, while heart massage and defibrillation are also applied. When we wanted to intubate the patient, he turns out to have dentures in his mouth. I remove these upper dentures and put them onto the crash car. Meanwhile, we continue extensive CPR. After about an hour and a half the patient has sufficient heart rhythm and blood pressure, but he is still ventilated and intubated, and he is still comatose. He is transferred to the intensive care unit to continue the necessary artificial respiration. Only after more than a week do I meet again with the patient, who is by now back on the cardiac ward. I distribute his medication. The moment he sees me he says:

'Yes, you were there when I was brought into hospital and you took my dentures out of my mouth and put them onto that car, it had all these bottles on it and there was this sliding drawer underneath and there you put my teeth.'

I was especially amazed because I remembered this happening while the man was in deep coma and in the process of CPR. When I asked further, it appeared the man had seen himself lying in bed, that he had perceived from above how nurses and doctors had been busy with CPR. He was also able to describe correctly and in detail the small room in which he had been resuscitated as well as the appearance of those present like myself. At the time that he observed the situation he had been very much afraid that we would stop CPR and that he would die. And it is true that we had been very negative about the patient's prognosis due to his very poor medical condition when admitted. The patient tells me that he desperately and unsuccessfully tried to make it clear to us that he was still alive and that we should continue CPR. He is deeply impressed by his experience and says he is no longer afraid of death. Four weeks later he left hospital as a healthy man."
This is more like it... But... Source? Like, do you have a source for this? Depending on what that source is, this could be a convincing piece of evidence, or it could be as useful as evidence as personal testimony of bigfoot.

-3-

"Jane Seymour: The famous movie actress who starred in the television series Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, describes the following out-of-body experience during her NDE:

'I literally left my body. I had this feeling that I could see myself on the bed, with people grouped around me. I remember them all trying to resuscitate me. I was above them, in the corner of the room looking down. I saw people putting needles in me, trying to hold me down, doing things.'"
I sincerely hope you understand why this is about as trustworthy as eyewitness testimony in regards to alien abduction. :glare:

-4-

"In a paper published in the Journal of Near-Death Studies concerning veridical NDE evidence, Dr. Ken Ring included perhaps the most famous case of veridical observation in NDE research at that time. Kimberly Clark Sharp first documented the NDE of a woman named Maria in her book, After The Light. Maria was a migrant worker who, while visiting friends in Seattle, had a severe heart attack. She was rushed to Harborview Hospital and placed in the coronary care unit.A few days later, she had a cardiac arrest and an unusual out-of-body experience. At one point in this experience, she found herself outside the hospital and spotted a single tennis shoe on the ledge of the north side of the third floor of the building. Maria not only was able to indicate the whereabouts of this oddly situated object, but was able to provide precise details concerning its appearance, such as that its little toe area was worn and one of its laces was stuck underneath its heel. Upon hearing Maria's story, Clark, with some considerable degree of skepticism and metaphysical misgiving, went to the location described to see whether any such shoe could be found. Indeed it was, just where and precisely as Maria had described it, except that from the window through which Clark was able to see it, the details of its appearance that Maria had specified could not be discerned."
As far as I am aware this story has been almost completely discredited, mostly due to the fact that the sole witness was a social worker who was already convinced of NDEs, claimed to have experienced one herself, who created a foundation for studying the supernatural and may have manipulated the results. In short: thrown out because it's absolutely possible (and probable) that it's complete bull****.

You may be noticing a pattern here.

You claim "the evidence is on my side". No, no it isn't. The only evidence that isn't easily placed in the same category as the countless Bigfoot/Yeti/Nessie/Alien sightings is not only extremely rare, but also tends to be poorly controlled.

Don't know who that is.
"Cold Reading" is another phenomenon that one should understand before coming into a discussion about things like this; or at least, one should understand the basics behind it.

I just thought of another argument. Just look at identical twins! They both have the same exact copies of DNA, yet they often have completely different personalities! Even if they are raised in the same household, and receive the same attention from the parents and the same living conditions, you find in many cases that the differences in personality are not small but rather are very significant. If people are no more than chemicals and molecules, how can you possibly explain this? They are physically exactly the same!
...I need to leave this thread; this post made me want to reach through my screen and strangle you for wasting my time. Again: FIGURE OUT WHAT THE **** YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU POST ON SCIENTIFIC ISSUES. :glare:

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Not really.
One who does not show any respect to others shall receive none in return.

I am done with this conversation. I've made it very, very clear what I mean, and what my stance is, and how this makes Qualia an unnecessary supernatural assumption. Furthermore, your complete mangling of any and all science referring to feelings, emotions, reactions, and your apparent failure to understand the concept of a nervous system or how a body reacts to stimuli while asleep (protip: it's felt, but as a "subroutine" that our brain doesn't deal with consciously... please tell me you at least understand what the subconscious is). You do not have even close to the required knowledge to even come into this debate, so I suggest we drop it here.
So what you are saying, then, is that people don't experience things at all? That we don't feel things? That we don't feel pain, etc.? That we are not conscious? That is exactly what you are saying when you say qualia don't exist. If this is your postion than indeed we have nothing else to talk about on this issue. But you know that this is not the case, so you should put on your thinking cap and try to understand what I am telling you.

Maybe this will help you understand better. Let's substitute "qualia" with "awareness". They are the same thing, anyways.

Ok, the pinching in sleep was misleading. A better way to put it is, "Why do we lose awareness when we fall asleep, if we never had it to begin with?"

Is it the body that is aware? The body does not have any thoughts of its own. The brain doesn't, our skin doesn't, no part of the body does. So how is that when you have all of these systems in the body operating on their own, including the nervous system, how is it that awareness is somehow produced? Where does it come from, and what exactly is aware? Does this help?

Basically, this is what it comes down to:

If you say that awareness does not exist, then the mind/soul is not a necessity.

If you say that awareness does exist, then the mind/soul is a necessity.

What is your stance?

Well, as far as trusting sources goes, excuse me for going with peer-reviewed scientific papers above evidence that ranges from second-hand with unclear conclusions to first-hand anecdotes. Excuse me for trusting the scientists who generally spent a lot of time studying this crap over the layman's opinion of a person who has shown himself to be completelyCOMPLETELY; I mean like below what the average high-schooler should know–uneducated in the relevant sciences as far as what constitutes an "adequate explanation". Yes, it is an appeal to authority, but do you seriously think that your understanding of the topic is better than the understanding of these guys? From what I understand, you need a fairly decent pedigree to get your article on PubMed to begin with. But hey, you know what? Here's another one I found in about 10 seconds.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20598679: connecting OBEs to brain functions, specifically malfunctions common in insane people.
Yes, it is not only an appeal to authority but also begging the question.

Suntan Luigi, I don't really give a **** what your interpretation of the available data is. The fact is, the overwhelming opinion of the scientific community based on the available evidence and up-to-date neuroscience is that out of body experiences are essentially the brain malfunctioning in weird ways. Much the way that epilepsy was seen as demon posession in the olden days, what we have here is an extremely "weird" brain phenomena that seems to point to something more than what it is. it isn't, and no amount of anecdotes, muddled evidence and conclusions, and spooky stories will change that.
Begging the question.

Here, you say that NDEs are hallucinations? Let's take a closer look at that rather vague explanation. I'd rather just post what some scientists have to say about that theory, because they explain it better than I could. (Oh my, SCIENTISTS who support my position? Say it ain't so!).

From http://www.near-death.com/experiences/lsd04.html

Psychologist John Gibbs states:

"NDE accounts from varied times and cultures were found to be more orderly, logical, defined and predictable than comparable accounts from drug or illness-induced hallucination. Impressive data from Tart, Moody and Carl Becker also argue for the objective elements of a NDE, including returning with knowledge later verified and third-party observations of odd death-bed phenomena (such as luminosity or apparitions)."

Neuropsychiatrist Peter Fenwick, describes the difference between the NDE and hallucinations:

"The difficulty with those theories is that when you create these wonderful states by taking drugs, you're conscious. In the NDE, you are unconscious. One of the things we know about brain function in unconsciousness, is that you cannot create images and if you do, you cannot remember them."

Fenwick describes the unconscious state of the NDE:

"The brain isn't functioning. It's not there. It's destroyed. It's abnormal. But, yet, it can produce these very clear experiences ... an unconscious state is when the brain ceases to function. For example, if you faint, you fall to the floor, you don't know what's happening and the brain isn't working. The memory systems are particularly sensitive to unconsciousness. So, you won't remember anything. But, yet, after one of these experiences (a NDE), you come out with clear, lucid memories ... This is a real puzzle for science. I have not yet seen any good scientific explanation which can explain that fact."

I'm going to ask you this again, because somehow you must have missed this: do you have a primary source, or at least something more reliable than that website? Maybe the exact words that the woman said that are so crucially important? Because right now we're arguing very fine neuroscientific points. Minute changes do make a big difference.

The question is...
did she? There's a reason I'm asking for a primary source here. What exactly she said and how she said it is crucially important. Describing a doctor using a bone saw on a patient is something that she definitely could've known beforehand; her imagination would've filled in the gaps with the doctor being her doctor, and she herself being the patient. Whether or not this is a possible explanation is all dependent on how she chose her wording. This is why getting a first-hand source is so crucially important here. I know that if I ran a site earning a commission off of books on the topic, I'd frame it to look as credible as possible. Here's the thing though: alternative explanations may or may not be possible; this depends entirely on the EXACT run of events. You are painting this as far more fleshed–out than it is; you claim we're looking at a mug shot when all we have is a composite sketch made by the victim after she got a nasty bump on the head (assuming that all you have is that one site; again, please provide primary sources).
It is in his book. The stuff on the website is from the book Light and Death, written by the researcher who documented her case first hand, Dr. Michael Sabom. If you were to read it (like you would do that) you would find the full account in more detail.

I'll assume this is it. Well, we're getting somewhere. It was not well-controlled, it was never repeated, and its results are therefore questionable on various levels, but hey, it's something. It does however leave me wondering why the experiment was not repeated, or better yet done so on a wide scale–by now there HAS to be some sort of online support group for OBE-sufferers you can tap, eh? The methodology involved here is, granted, better than nothing, but not much better.
You are raising the bar to a point which is too high. It's not so easy to conduct such a study, and people don't want to test that kind of stuff anyway. If this person did in fact really read the numbers correctly, what else do you need?

Maybe there's a disconnect here... I'm not disputing the concept of NDEs/OBEs as neurological phenomena caused by cranial malfunctions. I'm disputing the idea that what is happening there is anything more than your brain going all screwy on you. As far as I can tell, this article doesn't really support that point very well. Yes, it's got all the typical stuff; tunnel into the light, speaking with the dead, memories of your life, etc.; but all of that is easily explained by, well, that cranial screwiness I keep bringing up. Nowhere is anything reported that would indicate the supernatural. This article, while interesting, is worthless to this discussion because we are in agreement on its conclusions.
Read:

"For example, in the past some scientists have asserted that the NDE must be simply a hallucination brought on by the loss of oxygen to the brain [called "anoxia"] after the heart has stopped beating. This study casts doubt on that theory, in the words of its chief investigator, cardiologist Pim van Lommel, MD, "Our results show that medical factors cannot account for the occurrence of NDE. All patients had a cardiac arrest, and were clinically dead with unconsciousness resulting from insufficient blood supply to the brain. In those circumstances, the EEG (a measure of brain electrical activity) becomes flat, and if CPR is not started within 5-10 minutes, irreparable damage is done to the brain and the patient will die. According to the theory that NDE is caused by anoxia, all patients in our study should have had an NDE, but only 18% reported having an NDE... There is also a theory that NDE is caused psychologically, by the fear of death. But only a very small percentage of our patients said they had been afraid seconds before their cardiac arrest -- it happened too suddenly for them to realize what was occurring. More patients than the frightened ones reported NDEs." Finally, differences in drug treatments during resuscitation did not correlate with the likelihood of patients experiencing NDEs, nor with the depth of their NDEs."

Anecdotal, unestablished, untested, unscientific. This is not good evidence by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sorry.
It is an established account, it has two sources, the documentary and the book. Lol, unscientific, I don't really care.

This is more like it... But... Source? Like, do you have a source for this? Depending on what that source is, this could be a convincing piece of evidence, or it could be as useful as evidence as personal testimony of bigfoot.
It an except from a study published in The Lancet. What more could you possibly ask for?

I sincerely hope you understand why this is about as trustworthy as eyewitness testimony in regards to alien abduction. :glare:
But, like in the other examples, she saw things that were actually occurring, as opposed to having hallucinations.

As far as I am aware this story has been almost completely discredited, mostly due to the fact that the sole witness was a social worker who was already convinced of NDEs, claimed to have experienced one herself, who created a foundation for studying the supernatural and may have manipulated the results. In short: thrown out because it's absolutely possible (and probable) that it's complete bull****.

You may be noticing a pattern here.

You claim "the evidence is on my side". No, no it isn't. The only evidence that isn't easily placed in the same category as the countless Bigfoot/Yeti/Nessie/Alien sightings is not only extremely rare, but also tends to be poorly controlled.
There was more than one witness, where did you get that idea?

You don't understand. The evidence is on my side. These verifiable accounts are not extremely rare like you say they are. Also, you are under the false impression that if something has not been scientifically tested than it is not worthy of consideration.

"Cold Reading" is another phenomenon that one should understand before coming into a discussion about things like this; or at least, one should understand the basics behind it.
Cold reading is not relevant to this discussion! Another pathetic attempt at begging the question.

...I need to leave this thread; this post made me want to reach through my screen and strangle you for wasting my time. Again: FIGURE OUT WHAT THE **** YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU POST ON SCIENTIFIC ISSUES. :glare:
It was more of a quick thought than an argument, I'll admit. But this isn't my main argument so I don't really care. U MAD? :troll:

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Suntan Luigi:

I don't think you would object to stating the obvious fact that Out of Body Experiences are utterly dismissed by the large scientific community. They do not appear in reputable journals. No major university has a "OoBE Lab", etc... They are totally discounted.

I want to you to answer the question as to why you think this is? If there are reputable and scientific ways of reproducing such experiences, and we can have reliable and reproducible proof of such experiences (as you claim) why is it that nobody takes these claims seriously?

Some kind of massive worldwide conspiracy to keep us from knowing the truth? At least when climate change deniers make this claim, there is some air of plausibility behind monetary motives. But what possible purpose would every reputable research university on the planet have in suppressing such research? Don't you think that a university could make enormous amounts of money and fame by proving Out of Body Experiences to the world?

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Lol, you guys. Don't drink and post.

Alt, we already went over why most of the scientific community does not wish to do such studies. We can go into more detail though.

One reason is that in many cases they are difficult to do/not feasible. It is difficult to get reliable and reproduce able results from NDEs/OBEs because in almost all cases they are nearly impossible to control. Those kinds of studies are in many cases simply not the right kind of methodology for studying OBEs/NDEs. Now when an NDE does occur and it is well-documented and verifiable details are provided, such as in the Dr. Sabom account, this is an effective way to study NDEs, on a case-by-case basis. Having said that though, there are some controlled studies that exist, such as the one I just listed that was published in The Lancet.

The other main reason is that most scientists are just not open to that kind of possibility. They would not know how to handle such knowledge if it were indeed to be true it would be too radical for them to accept. Among other reasons, since OBEs/NDEs are not something that can be easily tested, and since the concept of the soul is at present a completely unscientific one, most scientists are biased and just assume that OBEs are bullocks. What follows is that you get well documented cases being labeled as "anecdotal" and you also get that half baked "brain malfunction" theory.

I think that the problem is all in the assumption that "Unscientific = Unintelligible". And you would probably agree that most scientists hold true to that assumption. But it is possible for something to exist regardless of our feeble attempts to figure out whether or not it exists. The soul is a concept that appears to be outside the reach of scientific studies, yet has other unscientific but completely ample proof as has been demonstrated. All of these show that the hypothesis that NDEs are a result of a malfunctioning brain in the throes of death is lazy, inadequate, and has many holes in it.

To sum up why most of the scientific community presently rejects OBEs/NDEs:

1- Difficult to study it the way scientists desire.
2- Inherent bias.

BPC: I know what that means. Try to figure out why I used it three times (when you are sober, that is).

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Unscientific doesn't mean unintelligible. I'm perfectly capable of understanding the claims you're making with Out of Body Experiences. And there's nothing unscientific about it. It's a coherent claim, and one easily testable. So no, I don't know anyone who would make that claim.

There's tons of things in ordinary science that are difficult to test, or phenomenon that occur only rarely. That doesn't stop anyone from testing it. Even if an Out of Body Experience only happens once in a thousand attempts, that's still fine. You just run a thousand tests. As long as it can be reproduced in some fashion, and as long as it can be verified when it does happen, then you're set. And in this case, this holds true. Nothing about this subject is unscientific in the slightest. (It happens to not be true, but it definitely is a scientific issue)

Let me contrast this issue with how the rest of the real scientific world works: The recent experiment which indicates faster than light travel is possible. http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897 If true, this would shatter a century's worth of established physics created by none other than Einstein himself.

So what was the scientific community's response to this Earthshaking news? Was it self-interested denial? Did all the physicists who spend their lives on relativity theory band together and shun the research? No. The response was a standing ovation.

And how did the researchers involved behave? Were they secretive about their methodology? Did they just make a bold claim once for the headlines and then slink into obscurity? Did they defensively deride skeptics? Did they insist that you buy a copy of their new book in order to understand the results? No. They openly invited everyone to reproduce their results, which you can do by following their well published steps. And they urged optimistic caution until the more independent researchers have also confirmed their results.

When Near Death Experience or Out of Body Experience results are found, where are they? Why is it that when this Dr Sabom makes a bold claim, I can't read about it on Arxiv.org? No, curiously, I have to buy one of his many books on the subject.

It would have been trivial to set up video of the whole event. Super simple. While a patient is under anesthesia, (or nearly dying or whatever) have a person write a unique and unguessable message on paper and show it to the camera, but not the body of the person. Then see if the patient can tell you the message upon waking.

And even then, such a video would be easy to make fraudulently. it would have to be verified by independent researchers.

Why is there no such video? Because the whole thing is a combination of fraud and self delusion.

How can I take someone's research seriously when they have a Bio like this:?

Near-Death.com said:
Sabom, also a born-again Christian, scrutinizes NDEs in light of what the Bible has to say about death and dying, the realities of light and darkness, and the gospel of Jesus Christ
Come on, now. I take this quack as seriously as I take the "Creation Scientists".

Also, I will reject any "near death experience" tales as just absurd right off the bat, though. Why you would trust the subjective account of a person who is in the process of dying is beyond me. Anecdotal accounts are the worst form of evidence possible, and then you add on top of that the fact that the person in question is under severe mental and physical duress? Why should we not expect strange hallucinations and such?

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Unscientific doesn't mean unintelligible. I'm perfectly capable of understanding the claims you're making with Out of Body Experiences. And there's nothing unscientific about it. It's a coherent claim, and one easily testable. So no, I don't know anyone who would make that claim.
I guess I should word that better. What I am saying is that since the concept of a soul is unscientific/untestable then most scientists will automatically dismiss it. NDEs/OBEs are a testable concept, but if they appear to indicate the existence of a soul then they are dismissed as hallucinations.

There's tons of things in ordinary science that are difficult to test, or phenomenon that occur only rarely. That doesn't stop anyone from testing it. Even if an Out of Body Experience only happens once in a thousand attempts, that's still fine. You just run a thousand tests. As long as it can be reproduced in some fashion, and as long as it can be verified when it does happen, then you're set. And in this case, this holds true. Nothing about this subject is unscientific in the slightest. (It happens to not be true, but it definitely is a scientific issue)
NDEs/OBEs are studied by researchers on a case by case basis.

Let me contrast this issue with how the rest of the real scientific world works: The recent experiment which indicates faster than light travel is possible. http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897 If true, this would shatter a century's worth of established physics created by none other than Einstein himself.

So what was the scientific community's response to this Earthshaking news? Was it self-interested denial? Did all the physicists who spend their lives on relativity theory band together and shun the research? No. The response was a standing ovation.
You don't know this. You don't know how each individual person really feels about it. Some people's careers may be in danger. Maybe they don't want to share how they feel about the results for fear of being alienated.

And how did the researchers involved behave? Were they secretive about their methodology? Did they just make a bold claim once for the headlines and then slink into obscurity? Did they defensively deride skeptics? Did they insist that you buy a copy of their new book in order to understand the results? No. They openly invited everyone to reproduce their results, which you can do by following their well published steps. And they urged optimistic caution until the more independent researchers have also confirmed their results. When Near Death Experience or Out of Body Experience results are found, where are they? Why is it that when this Dr Sabom makes a bold claim, I can't read about it on Arxiv.org? No, curiously, I have to buy one of his many books on the subject.
I wouldn't expect studies on OBEs/NDEs to be listed on arxiv. Again, this is due to the lack of such studies and because of bias. Besides, I gave you a good study that was published in The Lancet. And it had a well documented account of a person who was able to see an independently verified event via a NDE. http://mikepettigrew.com/afterlife/html/dutch_study.html

It would have been trivial to set up video of the whole event. Super simple. While a patient is under anesthesia, (or nearly dying or whatever) have a person write a unique and unguessable message on paper and show it to the camera, but not the body of the person. Then see if the patient can tell you the message upon waking. And even then, such a video would be easy to make fraudulently. it would have to be verified by independent researchers.

Why is there no such video? Because the whole thing is a combination of fraud and self delusion.
No, it's just not that simple. Not only do you not know when someone is going to start dying, you do not know if they will even have an NDE. And even if they do you don't know if they will read the message or not. You would basically have to have all of that stuff on standby for pretty much every person in a not stable health condition, which is not normally feasible. And besides, the results of such a study could just as easily be dismissed as fraudulent, as you pointed out. No amount of proof is going to convince people who have already made up their minds.

How can I take someone's research seriously when they have a Bio like this:?

Come on, now. I take this quack as seriously as I take the "Creation Scientists".
If Dr Sabom was the only one or two people doing such research this would be a valid concern, but he is not. There are lots of other people researching NDEs/OBEs. You can't just call all of them quacks or deluded.

Also, I will reject any "near death experience" tales as just absurd right off the bat, though. Why you would trust the subjective account of a person who is in the process of dying is beyond me. Anecdotal accounts are the worst form of evidence possible, and then you add on top of that the fact that the person in question is under severe mental and physical duress? Why should we not expect strange hallucinations and such?
I will say again, the "Brain malfunction/hallucination" hypothesis is inadequate. It does not address many critical aspects of NDEs/OBEs. Re-post from earlier:

"NDE accounts from varied times and cultures were found to be more orderly, logical, defined and predictable than comparable accounts from drug or illness-induced hallucination. Impressive data from Tart, Moody and Carl Becker also argue for the objective elements of a NDE, including returning with knowledge later verified and third-party observations of odd death-bed phenomena (such as luminosity or apparitions)."

Neuropsychiatrist Peter Fenwick, describes the difference between the NDE and hallucinations:

"The difficulty with those theories is that when you create these wonderful states by taking drugs, you're conscious. In the NDE, you are unconscious. One of the things we know about brain function in unconsciousness, is that you cannot create images and if you do, you cannot remember them."

Fenwick describes the unconscious state of the NDE:

"The brain isn't functioning. It's not there. It's destroyed. It's abnormal. But, yet, it can produce these very clear experiences ... an unconscious state is when the brain ceases to function. For example, if you faint, you fall to the floor, you don't know what's happening and the brain isn't working. The memory systems are particularly sensitive to unconsciousness. So, you won't remember anything. But, yet, after one of these experiences (a NDE), you come out with clear, lucid memories ... This is a real puzzle for science. I have not yet seen any good scientific explanation which can explain that fact."

You guys cling so much to this hypothesis, so I expect that you will try to provide some real justification for it, instead of using it as a crutch. Also, I went through your response and highlighted in red the kind of text that illustrates exactly the kind of bias I am talking about. This is not a case of "I think Y explains X", this is a case of "X cannot be true, therefore it must be something else, such as Y". You and many, many other scientists like you are not open to the possibility of a soul existing.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't have it both ways. You can't call a soul untestable and then in the same breath say that there is a testable hypothesis that indicates the existence of a soul.

I'm not sure what you mean by bias. Bias against bad evidence that can't be reproduced? If it were possible for someone to have an Out of Body Experience, and this were well known, I would immediately jump to conclude that there must be a soul of some kind. That would be very straight forward evidence of it. I'm not at all married to the conclusion that non-physical minds or souls don't exist all by itself.

Also, Arxiv.org is an open access publication website. One of many. Anyone who is a university researcher can sign up for it, or someone who can be vetted by an existing member. (Just to keep out spam, very low entrance requirements) Yet it's still one of the most common repositories where groundbreaking papers are first placed. What I'm saying is that these so called "NDE researchers" can't claim that they are being excluded from publishing their results.

All of these "studies" on NDEs are just hearsay. They're ghost stories. Nothing is ever actually observed or recorded, they're just big fish stories passed down. Everyone has heard a ghost story which was concocted specifically to exclude any conclusion other than that the ghost was real. Am I to believe all of these stories too?

What about the millions of first hand accounts of aliens? What about the Loch Ness monster? At least with these two, there's video evidence! As far as I can tell, there's more evidence for an alien space ship crash landing at Area 51 than there is for out of body experiences.

[Also, this is getting increasingly off-topic. I recommend a new thread for it]

NNID
Budget_Player
<irrelevant bull****>
I have established that this part of the discussion is pointless because you are more illiterate in regards to the subject than AnswersinGenesis.com is in regards to biogenetics and The Flat Earth Society is in regards to basic physics. We're dealing with topics that aren't truly uncomplicated, but aren't quite rocket science... I have tried very, very hard to explain it to you and failed. So as said before: this discussion is over, and pointless.

Yes, it is not only an appeal to authority but also begging the question.
See, this is where I wondered, "What is he talking about?" In regards to the question of whether or not NDEs/OBEs have anything supernatural about them, a paper by a university psychologist explaining the phenomenon with physiological manifestations (something I have supplied three times now) is very well relevant. It is not assuming the conclusion to fuel its argument (the meaning of begging the question); at least not in any way I can see.

Begging the question.
That word you keep using... I don't think it means what you think it means.

Here, you say that NDEs are hallucinations? Let's take a closer look at that rather vague explanation. I'd rather just post what some scientists have to say about that theory, because they explain it better than I could. (Oh my, SCIENTISTS who support my position? Say it ain't so!).
Quick note: all scientists are not created equal. Case in point: Michael Behe.

From http://www.near-death.com/experiences/lsd04.html

I have stated my displeasure with that website as a source multiple times. The primary source for Gibbs is missing, and I cannot find a primary source for this–merely a bunch of people taking this exact same quote.

But hey, you know what? Let's assume the quote is accurate, and not mined free of its original context–I'm not really bothered. It hasn't been peer-reviewed, it's by a psychologist (rather than, say, a neurologist), and what little insight it offers into why he feels this way points to Tart (established nut), Moody (not actually a scientist, also an established nut), and Becker (for whom I can find virtually no information–not even what he got his Ph.D in, let alone his "impressive data").

Look, I'm not above appeal to authority–in a discussion like this where nobody involved is an expert in the field, all we really have to go on is the work of others. That said, this is a fairly ****ty appeal to authority; a quote with an unestablished source (and therefore unestablished context) from a professor from a field that is tangentially related, whose opinion seems to have a fairly lousy pedigree. Compared with peer-reviewed papers published in open journals.

Herpaderp. There are a lot of problems with this, several of which I have already brought up. Prove that what the person experiences during the NDE actually happesn while they're unconscious (rather than, say, shortly before they lose consciousness).

It is in his book. The stuff on the website is from the book Light and Death, written by the researcher who documented her case first hand, Dr. Michael Sabom. If you were to read it (like you would do that) you would find the full account in more detail.
Again, I think this has been pointed out to you already, but there's a reason that good scientific research is published in open, peer-reviewed journals rather than privately owned, for-profit books. Just sayin'. And again, anecdotal evidence and ghost stories. We've been over this.

You are raising the bar to a point which is too high. It's not so easy to conduct such a study, and people don't want to test that kind of stuff anyway. If this person did in fact really read the numbers correctly, what else do you need?
Not much else. But if that counts as raising the bar too high, then I really kind of worry what your opinion of various ghost stories, Nessie, Sasquatch, and Alien Abduction is... Look, I really don't know how much clearer to make this to you: 1:25,000 shots are impressive, but quickly become less impressive when you realize that the study was never repeated in any sensible manner, that it was not carefully monitored (the doctor monitoring it slept, ffs), and that manipulation would have been fairly simple. .

It an except from a study published in The Lancet. What more could you possibly ask for?
Geez, I dunno, how about a primary source? You know, the actual article you keep bringing up?

Cold reading is not relevant to this discussion! Another pathetic attempt at begging the question.
This is where I realized that you do not know what the word means. Seriously, look up what "begging the question" means. Because this? This ain't it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Alt technically you can have it both ways.

Certain miracles could be scientifically proven true, which would then prove some form of supernatural being true, but science wouldn't be able to disprove the being, which you already know.

:phone:

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
You can't have it both ways. You can't call a soul
un-testable and then in the same breath say that there is a testable hypothesis
that indicates the existence of a soul.
The soul is unobservable, so evidence that supports its existence can be
dismissed by people who don't believe in it ("It's a hallucination").

I'm not sure what you mean by bias. Bias against bad
evidence that can't be reproduced? If it were possible for someone to have an
Out of Body Experience, and this were well known, I would immediately jump to
conclude that there must be a soul of some kind. That would be very straight
forward evidence of it. I'm not at all married to the conclusion that non-
physical minds or souls don't exist all by itself.
See, you call this evidence "bad", because it isn't presented in the way you
would like to see it. Also, these studies are reproducible to an extent and
people have reproduced certain aspects of NDEs/OBEs. Also, well known to whom,
the general scientific community? If so, that's bias. These things are very
well known to the people who actually take the time to study them and don't
dismiss the evidence.

Also, Arxiv.org is an open access publication website.
One of many. Anyone who is a university researcher can sign up for it, or
someone who can be vetted by an existing member. (Just to keep out spam, very
low entrance requirements) Yet it's still one of the most common repositories
where groundbreaking papers are first placed. What I'm saying is that these so
called "NDE researchers" can't claim that they are being excluded from
publishing their results.
Bias still accounts for the lack of studies. I don't think that they claimed
they were being censored. Bias is a not normally an intentional thing.

All of these "studies" on NDEs are just hearsay. They're
ghost stories. Nothing is ever actually observed or recorded, they're just big
fish stories passed down. Everyone has heard a ghost story which was concocted
specifically to exclude any conclusion other than that the ghost was real. Am
I to believe all of these stories too?
But howwwwwwwwww is it possible for someone to accurately describe events that occurred while they were brain dead?

So basically you ARE calling everyone who researches NDEs/OBEs (and indeed, everyone who has given an account of an NDE/OBE where someone accurately described events that occurred while they were brain dead) frauds and liars. This does not seem reasonable to

me at all, I don't understand why you would do this.

Again, I am stating that your "brain malfunction" theory is wrong and I again I am challenging you to stop using it as a crutch and to support it and explain its gaping holes.

What about the millions of firsthand accounts of
aliens? What about the Loch Ness monster? At least with these two, there's
video evidence! As far as I can tell, there's more evidence for an alien space
ship crash landing at Area 51 than there is for out of body experiences.
With so many accounts of aliens and Nessie there must be some grain of truth to these matters. I don't claim to know what though.

[Also, this is getting increasingly off-topic. I recommend a new thread for
it]
This is very relevant, because we are discussing the credibility of the proofs I presented for the soul which is necessary for the existence of free will.

BPC I will address your post soon.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Sorry about the double post. If it is annoying, well, deal with it.

I have established that this part of the discussion is pointless because you are more illiterate in regards to the subject than AnswersinGenesis.com is in regards to biogenetics and The Flat Earth Society is in regards to basic physics. We're dealing with topics that aren't truly uncomplicated, but aren't quite rocket science... I have tried very, very hard to explain it to you and failed. So as said before: this discussion is over, and pointless.
Heh, I see how it is. You are not even going to try to understand what I am talking about. If that is the case, why are you even having a debate with me in the first place? You aren't very cooperative.

You say I am illiterate with regards to neuroscience? Well I admit my knowledge is rusty, but it's far from illiterate. I understand what you are saying with regards to how our nervous system works, but you do not understand what I am saying when I am talking about subjective experiences.

Why don't we approach this from a different angle. How do you define awareness?

Don't try to run away by saying "Oh you don't know anything it's pointless" again.

See, this is where I wondered, "What is he talking about?" In regards to the question of whether or not NDEs/OBEs have anything supernatural about them, a paper by a university psychologist explaining the phenomenon with physiological manifestations (something I have supplied three times now) is very well relevant. It is not assuming the conclusion to fuel its argument (the meaning of begging the question); at least not in any way I can see. That word you keep using... I don't think it means what you think it means.
You're whole attitude is extremely biased and begs the question. I just got that impression from your responses, ridiculing me and calling me uneducated, calling researchers nutjobs, etc. Especially comparing what I am talking about to Cold Reading. That comparison in itself is an implicit begging the question.

Quick note: all scientists are not created equal. Case in point: Michael Behe.
I don't care what you think about them.

I have stated my displeasure with that website as a source multiple times. The primary source for Gibbs is missing, and I cannot find a primary source for this–merely a bunch of people taking this exact same quote.

But hey, you know what? Let's assume the quote is accurate, and not mined free of its original context–I'm not really bothered. It hasn't been peer-reviewed, it's by a psychologist (rather than, say, a neurologist), and what little insight it offers into why he feels this way points to Tart (established nut), Moody (not actually a scientist, also an established nut), and Becker (for whom I can find virtually no information–not even what he got his Ph.D in, let alone his "impressive data").

Look, I'm not above appeal to authority–in a discussion like this where nobody involved is an expert in the field, all we really have to go on is the work of others. That said, this is a fairly ****ty appeal to authority; a quote with an unestablished source (and therefore unestablished context) from a professor from a field that is tangentially related, whose opinion seems to have a fairly lousy pedigree. Compared with peer-reviewed papers published in open journals.
I'm not saying I'm right because he says so. I am using those words to point out one of the many flaws in your "brain malfunction" theory that you cling to so much.

Herpaderp. There are a lot of problems with this, several of which I have already brought up. Prove that what the person experiences during the NDE actually happesn while they're unconscious (rather than, say, shortly before they lose consciousness).
In the case of the people who were able to accurately describe their surroundings and what was occurring while they were unconscious, isn't it fairly obvious?

Again, I think this has been pointed out to you already, but there's a reason that good scientific research is published in open, peer-reviewed journals rather than privately owned, for-profit books. Just sayin'. And again, anecdotal evidence and ghost stories. We've been over this.
It's difficult to make a study that would be worthy of being featured in these journals, because NDEs/OBEs are best studied on a case by case basis. And then there is the bias. You think it is sooooo easy to do, don't you? And when you have documented hundreds of cases, what better thing to do than to author a book? And if you write one, why not sell it?

So, like AltF4, you are calling everyone who researches NDEs/OBEs (and indeed, everyone who has given an account of an NDE/OBE where someone accurately described events that occurred while they were brain dead) frauds and liars. And if that is your position, how could I ever convince you otherwise?

And as far as scientific, peer reviewed journals go, you may be interested to know that there is such a journal that exists. From Wikipedia: "IANDS is an international organization that encourages scientific research and education on the physical, psychological, social, and spiritual nature and ramifications of near-death experiences. Among its publications are the peer-reviewed Journal of Near-Death Studies and the quarterly newsletter Vital Signs." Too bad it's not open to you, I guess that makes it a complete fraud.

Not much else. But if that counts as raising the bar too high, then I really kind of worry what your opinion of various ghost stories, Nessie, Sasquatch, and Alien Abduction is... Look, I really don't know how much clearer to make this to you: 1:25,000 shots are impressive, but quickly become less impressive when you realize that the study was never repeated in any sensible manner, that it was not carefully monitored (the doctor monitoring it slept, ffs), and that manipulation would have been fairly simple.
Other, more structured studies of this type are currently in progress and I will let you know of their results sometime, if you don't accept this as proof. For example, the AWARE study should have their results published hopefully within several months.

Geez, I dunno, how about a primary source? You know, the actual article you keep bringing up?
Here it is already, I practically had to hand it to you on a silver platter.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2801%2907100-8/abstract

Don't forget about the particular example cited from the study.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What seems strange to me is that in these NDE cases, it always seems that all the patient does is exactly describe the events that occurred whilst they were brain-dead, in detail. These accounts portray people describing events in much more detail than normal people would, almost as if it was forged merely to prove a point. It reminds me of two people who have committed a crime memorising the exact time they will say they were at place X in their story when being interrogated.

I'm not sure it's fair to claim your sources are legit, and then dismiss any response to it as bias.

Also, proof of the soul does not automatically mean free will. Although people like Alt diismiss free will because they are physicalists, there are many determinists who believe in the soul.

Alt- Are you saying that you dismiss any research that isn't featured in one those journals you talk about?

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
What seems strange to me is that in these NDE cases, it always seems that all the patient does is exactly describe the events that occurred whilst they were brain-dead, in detail. These accounts portray people describing events in much more detail than normal people would, almost as if it was forged merely to prove a point. It reminds me of two people who have committed a crime memorising the exact time they will say they were at place X in their story when being interrogated.

I'm not sure it's fair to claim your sources are legit, and then dismiss any response to it as bias.
Yeah, but the way I see it it's equally unfair to claim all of my sources are not legit. I think doing so is due to bias.

Also, proof of the soul does not automatically mean free will. Although people like Alt diismiss free will because they are physicalists, there are many determinists who believe in the soul.
True. So I am trying to show first that the soul does exist, so then that at least opens up the possibility for free will to exist.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alt- Are you saying that you dismiss any research that isn't featured in one those journals you talk about?
No, certainly not. I'm actually a big supporter of open access journals and independent publication. (IE: Posting stuff to your own website) Traditional journals with strict entrance requirements are a relic of previous centuries when publishing itself was expensive.

I was just more-or-less responding to an anticipated claim of exclusion from publishers. Something that lots of other pseudoscience proponents do claim. As if their "research" would be widely accepted if only they were allowed to participate.

The soul is unobservable, so evidence that supports its existence can be dismissed by people who don't believe in it ("It's a hallucination").
Don't be so quick to jump to the conclusion that something is unobservable. Consider curved timespace. Can you imagine someone coming up to you and suggesting that time was in fact a dimension just like our 3 spacial dimensions, and that you can bend these dimensions? You might easily jump to the conclusion that there's no way to observe this curved timespace.

But there is. You can use the theory to make a prediction. If the prediction comes up false, then your theory is out. If it comes up true, then this is good positive evidence.

(Curved timespace can be observed through gravitational lensing, for example. A phenomenon that Einstein predicted, and then it was observed)

In your case, you're making all kinds of claims that can make predictions. If you can have a soul outside your body, you should be able to observe something that the body couldn't otherwise. The logistics of setting up the experiment are irrelevant here. You've made a positive and testable prediction, that's all that matters.

And there are others which can possibly be tested in the future. Such as if/when we have the ability to make near perfect copies of objects like humans. You earlier claimed that any such copy ought to drop dead lifeless. I would claim that that the clone would act exactly like any normal human. Here yet again we have another positive and testable prediction your theory is making.

Don't just straight from "I can't see it or touch it" to "it's not observable".

See, you call this evidence "bad", because it isn't presented in the way you would like to see it.
You say this as if I'm objecting to something trivial like the font on the writing of the paper. What's bad is the complete lack of basic rigor.

Also, these studies are reproducible to an extent and people have reproduced certain aspects of NDEs/OBEs.
I don't mean that the phenomenon isn't reproducible in principle. I mean that the researchers have utterly failed to reproduce their results.

But howwwwwwwwww is it possible for someone to accurately describe events that occurred while they were brain dead?
This is what I mean when I say a lack of rigor. Michael Shermer has a presentation or two where he discusses all the many ways that people are able to deceive themselves. Or be deceived by others. Here is just a small sample of explanations for these kinds of things, just off the top of my head:

1) The horoscope effect. Saying something exceedingly general, which is taken with confirmation bias as correct.

2) Leading the witness. When the subject is "recalling" the event, someone who was present in the room at the time can give subtle clues through body language as to give away the game. Note that this is not intentional fraud, this is just part of psychology.

The subject will say "Then the surgeon left the room..." and everyone's eyebrows will curl, at which point the subject says "Oh, wait, no he stayed in, that's right." Then everyone just forgets the fact that the subject got it wrong and corrected the story after input from people who were there.

3) Human psychology is a crazy thing. The mind screws up all the time. Memories can be implanted. I'm sure you've seen the well known cases of children who had vivid memories of them being molested "uncovered" through therapists. Only to discover that forensic evidence proves no such offenses. Through a process of accidental leading, (IE no fraud by either therapist nor child) a memory can be completely fabricated.

4) Backward memory inference. just like with what happens in deja-vu. You see an object, and immediately remember seeing the same object in a dream the night before. You then conclude that the dream was a premonition. When in fact you just see the object, then your mind fabricates the memory of having seen the object in the past.

If a subject of an NDE was ever told what happened during the operation (or whatever period of time) then it's possible for the brain to just form a memory during that time. The person will "remember" the operation as if they really were able to see it.

It's the job of the researchers to rule out every single one of these. And lots and lots more. In order to do that, they would need a completely different methodology. Just merely studying what people remember after the fact is not sufficient. The researchers completely fail to address any of these explanations.

So basically you ARE calling everyone who researches NDEs/OBEs (and indeed, everyone who has given an account of an NDE/OBE where someone accurately described events that occurred while they were brain dead) frauds and liars. This does not seem reasonable to me at all, I don't understand why you would do this.
I choose my words carefully. I said a combination of fraud and self delusion. Not just merely fraud.

With so many accounts of aliens and Nessie there must be some grain of truth to these matters. I don't claim to know what though.
Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.

NNID
Budget_Player
I think I'm gonna let AltF4 take over here; he's actually a scientist while I'm a high-schooler with Google. Top tier post, and I can't believe I missed that last quoted sentence. :laugh:

...Actually, no, one more thing: I will address the study in The Lancet, because you actually did offer a primary source for me, thanks for that. Would kinda be uncourteous to do otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom