• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demonstrating the Glide Toss(Compilation of discoveries plus I fixed my bottom link!)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Compilation of Mega Man Advanced Techs, Combos, and follow-ups by yours truly.

Footstool->Gear Drop->Down Aerial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUqJZO3VfqU

Mega Man specials ledge slide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048_T8g6QAE
Mega Man Jump Canceled Throw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFwte0QU4M

Mega Man Jump Canceled Throw Follow Ups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-Bnr1HtHg

Crash Bomb Combo Starter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2OrJiY5tfM
Footstool->Gear Drop->Forward Aerial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3jUZhUPmq8
Mega Man Skid Toss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjsQuVo3CJE

Demonstration of Leaf Shield, Crash Bomb, and Metal Blade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCmQijRXus

I've decided to make this a compilation thread, so I don't keep flooding with topics(Sorry about that.).

The only topics I'll be updating are this one and my Preliminary guide to MegaMan.(UPDATED WITH LEAF SHIELD.)

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, but probably unpractical.

Making a footstool is really hard to do in this game now that there are shields and rolls everywhere, but this is a really good tool for when there is a chace

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'll need to work with this.

Also in the video I saw a lot of jump canceled downwards glide toss, but IMO the backwards one is probably the most useful.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Jump Cancel Glide Toss looks useful tho.
Specially to try to gain some distance.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I just wanted to share a bit, sorry for the poor quality/spelling. I have to hold the camera(phone) in my mouth as I record.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Cool stuff, man.
The Jump Canceled Glide Toss could prove useful for keeping your opponent guessing, mindgames, etc...

The Spike looks too situational, though, unfortunately.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Cool stuff, man.
The Jump Canceled Glide Toss could prove useful for keeping your opponent guessing, mindgames, etc...

The Spike looks too situational, though, unfortunately.
Thanks, I've been playing around with it some more and I'm interested in using it with Leaf Shield.

I know the spikes situational, but it was too cool not to share lol. I actually got the idea to try footstooling, as I remembered in Brawl footstooling->Warlock Kick with Ganon. People didn't expect it, which is pretty much the only reason I'd land it.

Speaking of Ganon, aren't you one of the best? I think I remember a video of yours helping me learn him.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I just wanted to share a bit, sorry for the poor quality/spelling. I have to hold the camera(phone) in my mouth as I record.
Wow, that's dedication.

The leaf shield seems to make it easier to pull off a footstool, so I'd be curious to see if that makes it any easier to pull off these combos.

You'd have to time it well, of course, and it may require too much set up to be too useful.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Wow, that's dedication.

The leaf shield seems to make it easier to pull off a footstool, so I'd be curious to see if that makes it any easier to pull off these combos.

You'd have to time it well, of course, and it may require too much set up to be too useful.
Thanks, I've been wanting to contribute to the competitive scene since I got interested in it, and wanted to get my vids out as soon as possible.

I think glide toss mind gamihg could potentially allow an opening to use Leaf Shield, and if you can't footstool the blade is still an option(And glide tossing is possible while LS is up.).

To my vid commenter, I can't respond via Wii U, so I'll respond here, at least until I head on my comp. I used the glide toss in quick succession to do the sliding, I don't think it's as good as a wavedash due to having to repeatedly do smaller ones. I got the idea from Diddy Kong in brawl, I'd compare it more to that, However, I'm not the most familiar with Melee, so who knows. I think it'll be ueeful though, just not sure how much.

Also, potential problem/blessing in disguise. The metal blade seems to disappear at some point, the problem being randomly. The blessingbin disguise however, being that no blade opens up other options that'd be shut down due to grabbing the blade, like tilts. I can't test atm, but I feel this will be very important in determining glide tossing's viability with MM.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Wait, but don't you perform the tilt AND grab the item at the same time? it does with Aerials and Dashes, it would be weird if doing tilts just grabs the item but doesn't do the movement

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
What is the input for the 3ds demo input for the JC GT, I'm too used to my GC controller with modded controls.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Wait, but don't you perform the tilt AND grab the item at the same time? it does with Aerials and Dashes, it would be weird if doing tilts just grabs the item but doesn't do the movement
I'm almost positive I just walked and grabbed it, but I can't say I'm certain. If someone could test this, it'd be cool, otherwise I will when I get the chance.

Either way, it's probably going to lessen its use, unless it isn't random.(Even then it could though, more so for the fact that it does disappear.). I intend to use it still, but maybe not for traveling due to it being seemingly unreliable.

What is the input for the 3ds demo input for the JC GT, I'm too used to my GC controller with modded controls.
Foxtrot->A+X is how I do it.

So pretty nuch start a dash, then using your thumb across both buttons, press A+X, with A being just a very small moment behind X.

Foxtrot->A->X woukd be more accurate, although the timing for A and X is near simultaneous.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Speaking of Ganon, aren't you one of the best? I think I remember a video of yours helping me learn him.
One of the better in Europe, but I fall short compared to many american and japanese dorfs.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Can you jump cancel into Up-Smash effectively?
If you toss the metal blade down at your feet, it has a very small hitbox. If it hits, you slide into perfect range to launch an usmash OR sour spot utilt, which both did around 20%. Usmash worked twice in a row, pretty sure it only works that much(This includes a glide tossed metal blade hit each time.). Glide toss to sourspotted utilt goes into higher percents, but has little kill power.

One of the better in Europe, but I fall short compared to many american and japanese dorfs.
Even if their better, you have skill. Your vids definitely helped me out though, it taught me many of his ATs which I still use today, so having the chance to thank you for that is pretty awesome.

Only utilt works, ftilt and dtilt grab the blade.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
So, what's actually going on here?

Isn't this just a jump cancelled item toss? I'm not saying it isn't practical, but I wouldn't consider it a glide toss. Perhaps, I'm performing it wrong.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So, what's actually going on here?

Isn't this just a jump cancelled item toss? I'm not saying it isn't practical, but I wouldn't consider it a glide toss. Perhaps, I'm performing it wrong.
It is referred to as such in Brawl, it produces the same effect. The only difference is how it's performed, as far as I know anyway. Its practicality has yet to be explored as the meta is in its beginning stages, so as of now I can't say whether or not it'll be of use or not.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
Also, another method of performing this is to throw the item with the L button. (Default controls) Made it easier for me to to perform it more consistently.

Foxtrot -> X or Y -> L + direction

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Also, another method of performing this is to throw the item with the L button. (Default controls) Made it easier for me to to perform it more consistently.

Foxtrot -> X or Y -> L + direction
I never thought of that, I never use the L button due to it not being very comfortable for my hands. Instead I've been using R+A, so I likely wouldn't have found that.

Good Job.

Also, I plan to upload videos soon guys, of any discoveries I've found.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'm starting to get it!
http://youtu.be/ZgmqhwePkLw

I made sure to cite your awesomeness, Opana, in the video's description. We should get this technique to spread so others can test it out, yeah? :)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'm starting to get it!
http://youtu.be/ZgmqhwePkLw

I made sure to cite your awesomeness, Opana, in the video's description. We should get this technique to spread so others can test it out, yeah? :)
Yeah that was good, I still can't do it consistently either lol.

Also, Glide Tossing was in Brawl, so I don't wanna take credit for coining it. But if you want, you can say I brought it to the attention of MM mains or something.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
A friend of mine informed me of that. My bad! I fixed the video's description.

Yeah, it is tough to do! It's fun to play with, though! It'll help keep me busy until the full game comes out, haha.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I don't think the glide toss will be as useful if you can't throw the blade in any of the other directions aside from down. Like, the only character that really had a use for downwards glide tossing in brawl was Diddy Kong because he could glide toss through his opponent and make him trip or he could set up his bananas for a dash attack or a chain of banana throws, which is not something Megaman can really do with his blade in my opinion. It looks cool, but I don't really see it having a purpose when you can just run and have the same amount of options as you would doing this glide toss.

(Coming from a Peach player in brawl that relied on occasional bone walking + tons of glide tossing as if it was his life)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't think the glide toss will be as useful if you can't throw the blade in any of the other directions aside from down. Like, the only character that really had a use for downwards glide tossing in brawl was Diddy Kong because he could glide toss through his opponent and make him trip or he could set up his bananas for a dash attack or a chain of banana throws, which is not something Megaman can really do with his blade in my opinion. It looks cool, but I don't really see it having a purpose when you can just run and have the same amount of options as you would doing this glide toss.

(Coming from a Peach player in brawl that relied on occasional bone walking + tons of glide tossing as if it was his life)
You can throw it in any direction, but I prefer the down toss. I do enjoy running past them into a pivot glide toss though.

Also, I know it won't have nearly as much usage as it did for characters in brawl, but I don't think I should ignore it due to that. I plan to incorporate it into my game, and I'll let you guys know how it works out vs. good human players.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
A friend of mine informed me of that. My bad! I fixed the video's description.

Yeah, it is tough to do! It's fun to play with, though! It'll help keep me busy until the full game comes out, haha.
Glad to hear, exploring MM is giving me something to do too.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
You can throw it in any direction, but I prefer the down toss. I do enjoy running past them into a pivot glide toss though.
Ahh okay! That's awesome to hear! I'll mess around with this, then! Fantastic find, by the way!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ahh okay! That's awesome to hear! I'll mess around with this, then! Fantastic find, by the way!
Even if I can't make use of it much, I'm excited to see the community (hopefully) make use of it.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Glide tossing is REALLY useful in general, so that will make Megaman have TONS of options. Especially against characters that wanna rush him down. Glide tossing is part of what made characters like Diddy Kong and Peach difficult to deal with, and it was a huge part of both of their kits. I can definitely see the same thing working for Mega Man.

Can you do this while you're running in general or does it have to be a fox trot specifically?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Glide tossing is REALLY useful in general, so that will make Megaman have TONS of options. Especially against characters that wanna rush him down. Glide tossing is part of what made characters like Diddy Kong and Peach difficult to deal with, and it was a huge part of both of their kits. I can definitely see the same thing working for Mega Man.

Can you do this while you're running in general or does it have to be a fox trot specifically?
While running you can still glide toss.

The only issue I've noticed is that the blade seems to randomly last an amount of time, so it could last awhile or be gone after one throw. Still, maybe he could use it like PEach.

Thanks for all the input, I haven't used either of those two extensively in Brawl, only enough to know their ATs pretty much.

HarveyBirdman

Smash Rookie
Small Note: For anyone wanting to practice this while stuck with the demo like me, you can always start up a Group Smash put on a computer and start it. You will be brought to the pre-game training area with the sandbag, there's no time limit and more room to practice.

Last edited:

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Holy f*** guys.

So i was messing around with the glide toss and kept f***ing up my execution on the sandbag.

Holy s**** the robot is real. I REPEAT. THE ROBOT IS REAL. TOO REAL. I AM PRETTY SURE YOU HAVE FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW BUT THIS IS THE ONLY THREAD IN THE MEGAMAN SECTION I HAVE READ. SHORT HOP BLADE DOWN THROW GOES INTO SO MANY COMBOS HOLYCOW.

THANKYOU AMPA WITHOUT THIS TECH I WOULD HAVE BEEN FOREVER LOST.

Also sorry for not contributing anything useful to the thread and typing in all caps about stuff you probably already know about

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Okay.

An example of why I think this is a REALLY great find for Megaman:

Think about it like this. Let's say you're being dashed towards by any character. You can run away and glide toss in the direction you're running while throwing the blade behind you, which turns you around. Think about that for a second. Your back is facing the character while you're running away, but as you throw the blade behind you, you're suddenly facing him in neutral stance after the blade is thrown. This gives you almost all of your options while your opponent is stuck with dash attack, dash grab, pivot tilts/smashes, up smash, and aerials.

Good players will approach you differently when you have your blade in your hand because of this. You're eliminating options just by having that blade in your hand, and if they still dash towards you, you can just punish them for it.

This is only for throwing the blade behind you while running. Each direction you glide toss the blade towards has a different and strong use.

Glide tossing will help make Megaman even stronger in my opinion. I'd love to see a counter argument for this.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Okay.

An example of why I think this is a REALLY great find for Megaman:

Think about it like this. Let's say you're being dashed towards by any character. You can run away and glide toss in the direction you're running while throwing the blade behind you, which turns you around. Think about that for a second. Your back is facing the character while you're running away, but as you throw the blade behind you, you're suddenly facing him in neutral stance after the blade is thrown. This gives you almost all of your options while your opponent is stuck with dash attack, dash grab, pivot tilts/smashes, up smash, and aerials.

Good players will approach you differently when you have your blade in your hand because of this. You're eliminating options just by having that blade in your hand, and if they still dash towards you, you can just punish them for it.

This is only for throwing the blade behind you while running. Each direction you glide toss the blade towards has a different and strong use.

Glide tossing will help make Megaman even stronger in my opinion. I'd love to see a counter argument for this.
The pivot toss I've been using the exact way you've mentioned, and while it is only versus a cpu, it's apparent how it's a great option(Which I usually follow up with Lemons/Bomb.).

Also, apparently it's not called a glide toss, but a Jump Canceled Throw.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Ummm, wouldn't this be easier with tap jump though? You sacrifice Megaman's U-tilt, but for me it's incredibly more easy to flick the circle pad horizontally then up and down rather than quickly tap X (Since my "Quick" tapping lands me on a normal hop instead, maybe because my hands are too big for a normal 3ds but idk if it really is easier)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ummm, wouldn't this be easier with tap jump though? You sacrifice Megaman's U-tilt, but for me it's incredibly more easy to flick the circle pad horizontally then up and down rather than quickly tap X (Since my "Quick" tapping lands me on a normal hop instead, maybe because my hands are too big for a normal 3ds but idk if it really is easier)
Well, I have huge hands due to an overgrowth syndrome lol, and I still find using buttons easier, Either way though, I like contributions and appreciate yours.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming that this glide tossing is faster than megaman's normal running speed and also allows you to stop your opponent from chasing you anytime, right? Just by throwing and picking the metal blade and then glide tossing it? YES.

This is awesome, and I have 2 weeks until I show everyone Megaman is capable of doing a lot of stuff. By the way, if you get to be near the opponent when he uses a dash or something, you can jump normal jump and throw it down + and aerial (Preferably Back air if your metal blade hit in the right spot, if not, normal forward air.) But maybe it's too risky in some situations where the recovery is really fast so I think it's best to throw it right away when the opponent does an attack

BBC7

Smash Ace
What's the input for Glide Tossing? I tried the old Brawl method of Roll + Forward + Throw Item, but it didn't work. Is the timing more strict, or do you just have to do it differently?

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
It's different, you have to do FoxTrot (Repeteadly flicking the circle pad horizontally > Jump > A to any direction), the input must be really fast though

Top Bottom