• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demonic Pivot Grab

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I just had a couple WIFI-matches Vs my friend's Snake.

I Spot Dodged right next to him, and then, I sort of teleportated behind him and Pivot Grabbed him.

Well... I wasn't really invicible. I just moved really, really fast.

I remember I did something similar to the "Demonic step"-input with the controller, plus maybe the "Pivot Grab"-input.

At least it looked like a combination of the Demonic step and a Pivot Grab
(It did not look like a Boost Grab).

I'm guessing this is either a new Ganon Tech, or... a never-gonna-happen-again-glitch.

I'm too tired to look deeper into it right now.
It'd be awesome if you guys could test it.

I'll do some testing tomorrow. ZZZzzz...

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
If it's an AT...my god that will be awesome. Ganondorf with a grab?! The tier list will crumble asunder.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Let's call this the... "Dimensional Cape."

This sounds insanely interesting. Do you have it recorded?

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
This sounds interesting, with some potential to boot. If we could get boosted forward like that but with a normal grab, that would be insane.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Considering it's Wifi, you have to take into account that the game just lagged and it simply seemed that you teleported when you really just dashed or something.

Otherwise, I might have an idea of what you're doing, although it would depend on your definition of "boost grab." You can do a sliding pivot grab by inputting a dash grab to one side and then pressing the other direction right after you input the grab. If it's done right, you get a nice boost to that side while pivot grabbing. This may or may not be what you think is a boost grab, but it's worth checking out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really really don't see the point of pivot grabbing out of a spotdodge. Sounds cool, but honestly, I'm not putting any hope into this.

NatP

Smash Ace
One should never place any hope into any "possibly amazing" AT. We all remember DASC (sp?). :/

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Considering it's Wifi, you have to take into account that the game just lagged and it simply seemed that you teleported when you really just dashed or something.

Otherwise, I might have an idea of what you're doing, although it would depend on your definition of "boost grab." You can do a sliding pivot grab by inputting a dash grab to one side and then pressing the other direction right after you input the grab. If it's done right, you get a nice boost to that side while pivot grabbing. This may or may not be what you think is a boost grab, but it's worth checking out.
It wasn't lag, trust me.
I had a speed-boost similar to Falco's Boost Grab.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
One should never place any hope into any "possibly amazing" AT. We all remember DASC (sp?). :/
At least that actually existed. It really was something.

Seibrik is just... he's... he ... gar.

That's all I have to say about that.

Z1G, we need more info. Which way were you facing during the grab? Did you move to Snake's other side? Did Snake move?

As I understand, you can't dash out of the demonic step until the animation is done - who knows why - so no Pivot Grab.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Z1G, we need more info. Which way were you facing during the grab? Did you move to Snake's other side? Did Snake move?
I was on the right - he on the left, facing each other.

I spotdodged one of his attacks, and then before the spotdodge was finished, I performed that intput which reminded me of the Demonic step Input, plus something more. I don't remember.

I've tried to recreate it, but had no success.
I'm gonna try it out a little more, though.

I really really don't see the point of pivot grabbing out of a spotdodge.
To most characters this would be worthless, yes.
But to Ganon, who has a rotten Grab Game, this could be at least a 'small' improvement.

Clai

Smash Lord
Yes, it did look like a Boost Grab.
Then I'm certain that it's the type of pivot grab I was describing. It's done by inputting a dash grab, then immediately pressing the opposite direction after you input the grab (it's like B-sticking with most characters' specials, only with the grab button). Do it right and you'll slide a bit while pivot grabbing, just like the Falco was doing in that video. Spot-dodging has nothing to do with it, although you might have inputted the dash during the spotdodge frames.

If you end up rolling, you're pressing the grab button too soon. It's something you'd like to avoid.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Then I'm certain that it's the type of pivot grab I was describing. It's done by inputting a dash grab, then immediately pressing the opposite direction after you input the grab (it's like B-sticking with most characters' specials, only with the grab button). Do it right and you'll slide a bit while pivot grabbing, just like the Falco was doing in that video. Spot-dodging has nothing to do with it, although you might have inputted the dash during the spotdodge frames.

If you end up rolling, you're pressing the grab button too soon. It's something you'd like to avoid.
The Falco in that vid didn't Pivot Grab.
He mixed a "Pivot Grab" with a "Boost Grab", resulting in a "Pivot Boost Grab".

If what I accidentally pulled off was a normal Pivot Grab, I'd know it, no doubt.

But it wasn't like that. The thing I pulled of looked like those "Pivot Boost Grabs".

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

And since the Pivot Boost Grab is the outcome of two ATs put together, the thing I pulled off might as well be the outcome of two other ATs put together.

Clai

Smash Lord
Isn't the boost grab done by doing a dash attack by pressing the C-stick down and then cancelling that with a grab? I'm not talking about that, as what I'm describing doesn't involve the C-stick whatsoever.

That's why I compared it to B-sticking, because B-sticking also moves the character in that direction while doing his/her/its B attack. Z (or whatever you use grabs with)-sticking has the same sliding effect, except you grab instead of using your B attack.

The difference between this and pivot grabbing, I believe, lies in when you press the control stick compared to when you press the grab button. I think normal pivot grabs are done by pressing the control stick in the opposite direction before you press the grab button, while this boost pivot grab is done by pressing the control stick after you press the grab button. Either that, or it's the fact that this pivot grab is done at the beginning of the dash, so you get that boost from your character's dash acceleration, and you can't do a normal pivot grab because if you press the other direction first, you'll just dash-dance into a running grab.

I know that it's exactly the same as you described because I've been working with it myself, and I can get the boost while doing the pivot grab somewhat reliably (if I don't roll like a newb instead Xl ) If you don't get it still, I can put up a video which illustrates it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yes. Yes, a Boost Grab is indeed the art of canceling a DA into a grab, which gives a couple of chars an insane boost - making their Grabs more effective.
When Falco CGs his opponent back and forth, he doesn't use a Pivot Grab.
he uses the Boost Grab.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

- So you mean you've actually found a way too Boost Grab with Ganon?
And without contributing it to the boards?

'Cause, like I said, I had a sick boost similar to Falco's Boost Grab.

And we all know Ganon can't normaly Boost Grab or Pivot Boost Grab.

Therefor, I got pretty hyped when it happened in that match.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
A pivot Boost Grab is only a Boost if the character is Boosted by the DACUS.

You dash attack, then input [back]+Z, or Z, [back]. (The which one of these you'll want to do depends on your character in theory; as it is, I think every character gets more slide from [back]+Z.)

I found you can do it by holding the A and inputting [back]+shield. I can do it so easily with Fox and Falco that way.
... except when I try to reverse Falco's Chaingrab. >:-X

But Ganon doesn't get a Dacus. His Dash Attack doesn't speed him (or slow him down) in its opening frames.

Clai

Smash Lord
A pivot Boost Grab is only a Boost if the character is Boosted by the DACUS.

You dash attack, then input [back]+Z, or Z, [back]. (The which one of these you'll want to do depends on your character in theory; as it is, I think every character gets more slide from [back]+Z.)

I found you can do it by holding the A and inputting [back]+shield. I can do it so easily with Fox and Falco that way.
... except when I try to reverse Falco's Chaingrab. >:-X

But Ganon doesn't get a Dacus. His Dash Attack doesn't speed him (or slow him down) in its opening frames.
^^^^

This. I tried using a boost pivot grab by using the dash attack cancel, but I got no more benefit than what I was doing before, so I didn't bother with it. I wish I can see how far your boost actually was, because if it's more than what I normally do, then we really could be onto something. Otherwise, what you're talking about and what I'm talking about is likely one and the same. There's no way to tell for sure, though, until one of us puts up a video, and thankfully, I'll soon be putting something up that might solve all of this.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Oh, but it wasn't a Pivotgrab nor a sliding Pivotgrab. I'm 110% sure.
So we're not talking about the same thing.

Try standing next to Snake and then grab him from behind in a split second with a normal Sliding Pivot (without running through him).

It's just not possible with a sliding Pivotgrab.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
The snake might have input a movement towards you after you dodged so it seemed like you BPG'd really far, like in that one clip with Kalm against that Pit. I'm sure you guys know what I"m talking about

Top Bottom