• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Demo Discussion (No code giveaway etc.)

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I'd like to attempt to actually discuss what we've gotten with this demo. Like stated in the title, please no scrambling for a code.

After playing for about 5 hours straight, it seems Mario, Link, and Villager have been buffed since the E3 Demo
Megaman seems about the same and I never did try Pikachu out back then.

I really enjoy playing Link now, way more than I ever did any other iteration to be honest, and Villager is amazing with the potential behind all his/her advanced techniques.

Your impressions?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I've been maining out Villager for the past... I don't even know how long. I got my code in the third batch that Nintendo sent out, so I've been playing it for a while. I play on a standard model 3DS, and it looks, feels, and plays out great. The overall speed of the game was such a suprise, I honestly thought it was going to only be a little bit faster than Brawl. It may be my favorite Smash Bros. game in terms of physics, since it's a perfect balance between Brawl and Melee. Also, combos are a thing, which is amazing.

I love Villager so much, haha. Landing a tree on somebody is so satisfying, mostly when it's off the ledge. His F-Air and B-Air are godly, and they string into each other, which is crazy. He has amazing killing potential, with D-Tilt, U-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Special, and many, many others. I love all of his fancy Pocket tricks, too.

Right now I'm trying out Pikachu, who has been one of my long-time favorites throughout the whole series. While I'm getting destroyed more than often, I'm getting the hang of his combos, stringing U-Airs and U-Tilts, getting actual kills, etc. which is great. I'm hoping to learn more about him, though, since I'm still not that great with him.

Also, while it is hardware limitations, I hate how choppy Assist Trophies, especially Nintendogs, looks. Maybe it's just me, but they look so choppy.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I've been maining out Villager for the past... I don't even know how long. I got my code in the third batch that Nintendo sent out, so I've been playing it for a while. I play on a standard model 3DS, and it looks, feels, and plays out great. The overall speed of the game was such a suprise, I honestly thought it was going to only be a little bit faster than Brawl. It may be my favorite Smash Bros. game in terms of physics, since it's a perfect balance between Brawl and Melee. Also, combos are a thing, which is amazing.

I love Villager so much, haha. Landing a tree on somebody is so satisfying, mostly when it's off the ledge. His F-Air and B-Air are godly, and they string into each other, which is crazy. He has amazing killing potential, with D-Tilt, U-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Special, and many, many others. I love all of his fancy Pocket tricks, too.

Right now I'm trying out Pikachu, who has been one of my long-time favorites throughout the whole series. While I'm getting destroyed more than often, I'm getting the hang of his combos, stringing U-Airs and U-Tilts, getting actual kills, etc. which is great. I'm hoping to learn more about him, though, since I'm still not that great with him.

Also, while it is hardware limitations, I hate how choppy Assist Trophies, especially Nintendogs, looks. Maybe it's just me, but they look so choppy.
About the speed, I can totally agree with you. This feels so smooth and surprisingly it feels much faster than Brawl while staying below Melee's heavyweight Sanic Speed. The 60 fps really benefits the gameplay it ways I never thought it would.

I love the Villager. So insane how much love has been put into him. All these cute little references turned deadly, truly something that could only be done by Samurai and his team of programming ninjas. I can't tell you how fun Villager's pocket game is. Playing against level 9 Megamans is so freakin' hilarious.

And about the "choppiness" it's the 30 Frame per Second difference. When putting the two side by side, it becomes terribly obvious how slow 30 fps can truly. To be honest though, I sorta like the way they look. Has some sort of novelty to it (like the hyper realistic 2D food) and makes them sorta look 2D at times. I like it, but I can easily tell how much better it'd look if everything ran 60 fps like it will this Holiday season!

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
So my impressions so far:

Mario - To me, he feels really nice and being the kind of easy to learn character, he's gotten the appropriate things. I still do find myself not really using FLUDD for anything much. I also kind of find it odd that the Koopa click is the sound once his B hits. Otherwise, I love how he plays.

Link - I also feel like Link is much better here. I do notice I miss a lot with his Running A, but I think it's because I'm so used to his Brawl iteration. The arrows kill on high percentages were neat as well. He definitely is another good to play.

Pikachu - Fast, hard hitting with smash attacks and still cute, not much has changed. I did notice that Down B can go through the middle platform which is odd. I also noticed that Volt Tackle got a little marker so it'd much easier to figure where the attack is going. Neato!

Villager - My first time playing and already Village is such a trick-based assaulter. I mean Pocket could really hide some nasty tactics with items and even attacks...plus Up B is so good hahah. The Down B was a lot faster that I would've expected but I'm pretty happy with how it works and above (so great when it KOs off ledges). There's a lot of mind tricks that can be taken advantage of and I love it. Definitely will love to see how he'll do in the future (tourneys).

Mega Man - Honestly, I find myself using all his A moves more than any of his B moves besides his recovery move. Maybe I just need more time, but his specials don't really do too much besides being small damage moves (plus his side B tends to backfire on me more times than not). Though otherwise, he's just good with his A moves and has some good punch

I do agree, the 30fps ATs/Pokeball Pokemon is a bit jarring...

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
About the speed, I can totally agree with you. This feels so smooth and surprisingly it feels much faster than Brawl while staying below Melee's heavyweight Sanic Speed. The 60 fps really benefits the gameplay it ways I never thought it would.

I love the Villager. So insane how much love has been put into him. All these cute little references turned deadly, truly something that could only be done by Samurai and his team of programming ninjas. I can't tell you how fun Villager's pocket game is. Playing against level 9 Megamans is so freakin' hilarious.

And about the "choppiness" it's the 30 Frame per Second difference. When putting the two side by side, it becomes terribly obvious how slow 30 fps can truly. To be honest though, I sorta like the way they look. Has some sort of novelty to it (like the hyper realistic 2D food) and makes them sorta look 2D at times. I like it, but I can easily tell how much better it'd look if everything ran 60 fps like it will this Holiday season!
Yeah, I'm actually really happy nobody in this game has bricks tied to their feet, it makes aerials a lot easier (but a lot more annoying, at that) to pull off. Also, yeah if the characters didn't move in 60 FPS, I'd be really upset. The game is so smooth! It's really amazing, haha. Also, the game looks so beautiful, oh my god! I've only been able to play the Demo, but even on the standard 3DS, it looks amazing!

I typed out a lot more, but most of it got deleted when SmashBoards went into it's nightly back up, so I'll probably talk about characters again a bit later.

All I'll really say from what was deleted is that I need serious help with kill moves on Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

I feel like combos are super limited to very specific strings rather than dynamic like in 64 / Melee. Am I the only one that feels that way? I'm not seeing much combos.

The Kitten Burglar

Smash Cadet
I feel like combos are super limited to very specific strings rather than dynamic like in 64 / Melee. Am I the only one that feels that way? I'm not seeing much combos.
Sort of. I'm not sure if hitstun lasts as long, but I think blowback is still a bit high. The other thing is that air-dodging in this game isn't entirely a death sentence, so it's more viable to do, but you can generally be hit after.

My main issues are the huge blast zones and shields being way way way too strong. It's actually kind of gross.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Villager-Something I'll have to get used to. He definitely feels interesting and like he has potential down the road, but he also feels awkward, at first anyway.He definitely has the most insane recovery ever though with that side b.

Megaman-I just don't like how he feels at all. I don't have much to say because I really didn't play him much.

Pikachu-He's good, but was never a main of mine and someone I'm all that interesting in using. I can see the potential in him, especially with his aerial moves but it's just not my style.

Link-I actually have a pretty good amount of experience with Link in PM which is probably why Link feels so slow to me in this version. I can tell it's a good Link when I get past that though. From what I've seen against the CPUs so far, his projectile game is still strong once you get the hang of it. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this character develops with the metagame.

Mario-The character I used the most by far in the demo. I find his spike to be really easy to land after just a little bit of practice and it's really effective. I've actually found that it can lead into a combo in the right situation or end one. For instance I got a combo on Villager on the edge of the stage with d-throw, utilt, usmash, fair that ended in a spike kill and it started below 10%. I think it leads to a lot of possibilities against less experienced players. I've also been consistently able to land some sort of hit after spiking my opponent against the stage and attacking again in the air. I can see a lot of potential in Mario once the metagame involves and I'm actually looking forward to possibly maining him.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Well, I'm somewhat of a competitive noob so I've spent the last 7 hours just messing around with Link. He's a lot of fun to play, and his dash attack is insanely good.

However, and this may just be me, does anyone else find Megaman really easy to fight? Even at lvl 9 his moves seem easy to dodge and he's not that hard to kill. He's SD'd on me twice because he still had the leaf shield up and apparently couldn't recover.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Well, I'm somewhat of a competitive noob so I've spent the last 7 hours just messing around with Link. He's a lot of fun to play, and his dash attack is insanely good.

However, and this may just be me, does anyone else find Megaman really easy to fight? Even at lvl 9 his moves seem easy to dodge and he's not that hard to kill. He's SD'd on me twice because he still had the leaf shield up and apparently couldn't recover.
Whenever I grab onto the ledge, Mega Man always brings out his Leaf Shield and tries to hit me and ends up SDing. I've had it happen at least nineteen times so far... he always does it.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Whenever I grab onto the ledge, Mega Man always brings out his Leaf Shield and tries to hit me and ends up SDing. I've had it happen at least nineteen times so far... he always does it.
Right, so Megaman's AI is drunk. I suppose when you've been neglected for so long...

SupaKMW

Smash Cadet
Mario feels lovely as hell. Im mopping the floor with these "improved" cpus right out the box per say. I also noticed that no one added that it feels like Mario's fireball was nerfed a lil. You cant spit them out like you could in the past...or maybe Project M was just confusing me....lmao

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
What in the world?

I was just playing as Link against Pikachu, and we were both recovering back onto the stage, and we grabbed onto the ledge at the same time! We were both holding onto it, literally, at the same time! What the heck? Has this been talked about at all?

SupaKMW

Smash Cadet
What in the world?

I was just playing as Link against Pikachu, and we were both recovering back onto the stage, and we grabbed onto the ledge at the same time! We were both holding onto it, literally, at the same time! What the heck? Has this been talked about at all?

Fun thing about these glitches is that they can be patched up in the final product sometime down the line if they still have it.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
What in the world?

That actually happened to me once in a Mario ditto. I don't know what to make of it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mario - Never played Mario that much, so I don't know what changes he went through. He is a satisfying character to play in Smash 4, anyways.
Link - Omg, did his arrows have such a high kill power in previous games? Actually, in so many years of Smash, this was the first time I experienced a Link killing me with an arrow. Also, I love how his grab is much better now, since it doesn't leave him in a helpess state for two seconds like in Brawl anymore. I wonder if they improved Samus and Zero Suit Samus' grabs as well? Overall, I think Link 'feels' much better now.

Pikachu - Now here is one of my most played characters in every Smash iteration so far. Pikachu still is fun as usual, but something feels off to me and I can't really pinpoint what :s He is not 'bad', but... Idk. I will have to play him more before passing a judgment on how I feel about the character in the new games. By the way, some of his new animations (like his side smash) are SO cute! That pleases me :3

Villager - As you can see by looking at my avatar, I am very excited for the Villager! Unreliable recovery aside, most of her moves are very fun to use. Her side special have tons of different uses, like approaching, horizontal recovery or it could even be used as simple projectile. I am having a bit of trouble with the correct timing to use her neutral special, so more often than not I end up being hit by projectiles instead of pocketing then, but it is a fun and useful move regardless. The infamous down special is probably one of the hardest moves to use properly, but damn it is soooo satisfying hitting the opponent and sending them flying with a tree. The knockback is HUGE. As far smashes are concerned, her up smash (fireworks) is great for racking up damage and an anti-air too. So far Villager is my favorite character in the game, without a shadow of doubt.

Mega Man - He is one of the most 'fun' characters in the Smash series, undoubtedly, but at the same time, he is also quite the confusing character. The lack of jabs and the fact most of his attacks 'feel' like specials are something I need to get used to. That said, his moves are fun to use, but mostly his smash attacks (up and side smash specifically) as well as his fair (flame sword). I not feeling some of his specials at all. Like, what is the purpose of even using the Leaf Shield? It seems to be a move appropriated to very specific moments. His neutral special is kind of meh, too. I feel like his shoryuken isn't that good either.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Here's my guide to become a pro with Link:

1. Play Gerudo Valley's SSB3DS theme.

2. GET HYPED AS **** WHILE YOU DESTROY ALL OF THESE CPUS

Roarzcorp

Smash Cadet
When playing versus the level 9 computer I can beat them all pretty easily except pikachu.. why is he so damn fast!!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
When playing versus the level 9 computer I can beat them all pretty easily except pikachu.. why is he so damn fast!!
Yeah, this is the first time I have ever been able to just walk over lvl 9s.

Except, as you say, Pika. He probably ate a light ball or something.

JForseti

Smash Journeyman
Down smashes are the trick!

So.. not sure whether anyone mentioned this before but I've been playing the demo for the past few hours now and absolutely love it, but I'm starting to feel pains in my hand (down my thumb especially). Has anyone else experienced this or am I just playing it wrong :p? Oh it's on a 3DS XL btw (love the controls much more than I thought I would nonetheless).

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yeah, this is the first time I have ever been able to just walk over lvl 9s.

Except, as you say, Pika. He probably ate a light ball or something.
Pikachu's CPU is the easiest thing for me when I'm playing as Villager or Link. I struggle so much against Mario, though. I ****ing hate him.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
So, I got the demo by trading some artwork for a code. Yay!

Anyways, I played a lot of Mega Man. This guy has a large number of zoning options, his jab, f-smash, b, and u-air being exceptionally good.

Also, a tip. When your opponent is busy either recovering or dying, quickly throw your metal blade into the ground. This turns it into an item, meaning you can throw it however you want.

TheKryptoKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Beartic10
3DS FC
3093-7588-1980
1) My fears about this game's physics have been completely eliminated. I don't feel like I'm playing Brawl at all. It's fast enough to be exciting.

2) I really can't wait for the Wii U version. The controls are not uncomfortable, but I'd hesitate to call them comfortable either. Even after 5 hours, I still find myself limited more by the button layout than the game itself. Control customization might help a little bit, but there's not really a better place to put the shield, and that's probably the button I'm most unhappy with. Having this game, with these physics, with a gamecube controller will be everything I could ask for out of Smash 4. Plus, while the visuals are nice, I look forward to seeing things in HD, where there is also a better chance I'll always be able to tell exactly what the items are. :p

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Overall game

Hey, the characters don't move like slugs anymore, so I'm really happy with this gameplay engine! Aside from the unfortunate inability to turn off tap jump in the demo and wishing that the uses of L and R were switched (L is grab then shield while R is shield), I had very little trouble with the controls and no learning curve issues despite the switch to the 3DS button layout. The Gamecube layout is still better, but this is perfectly acceptable for when I won't be at a Wii U.

And for the first time when playing a new Smash, the game feels like the speed I expected and wanted. I assumed Smash 64 would be faster (like Kirby Super Star), Melee would be slower (like Smash 64), and Brawl would be faster (like Melee), but finally in Smash 4 I didn't go through a period of really rough adjustment to a weird gameplay speed.

Still being able to spam air dodges all the way down to the ground is unfortunate and I do wish that ground-to-air momentum would return to jump mechanics, but other than that I'm overall satisfied with this engine much more than I expected.

Individual characters

:4megaman:

Probably 3-4 of my 6-7 hours have gone to Mega Man. I'll only comment in detail on him.

The good:
  • Slash Claw (back air) is awesome. It comes out super fast, ends super fast, has good range, does good damage, and even has KO potential. An amazing edgeguarding and spacing tool that I just can't get enough of, much like Mr. Game & Watch's turtle.
  • Shock Spark (up smash) has very little KO power, but it comes out quick, does good damage, and I once outprioritized Pikachu's forward smash with it: he tried to smash into me and only he got hurt. I was seriously struggling with Mega Man at close range until getting the hang of this move. It's his "get off my back" move.
  • Mega Upper (up tilt) is like Luigi's Super Jump Punch, doing massive knockback if it hits at very close range. However, it still has good knockback even without sweet spotting and you don't fall into a helpless state no matter how you use it. If you can get a close-range hit in with this move, it's always satisfying.
  • It took me a while to figure out the value of Metal Blade (neutral special), but if you throw it down into the ground and then pick it up, it becomes much easier to use well. Sort of like R.O.B. with his Gyro or Toon Link with his bombs, Mega Man can throw the Metal Blade and then rush the opponent with Top Spin (dash attack), Flame Sword (forward air), or a RAR Slash Claw.
  • At first I was disappointed with the charged Mega Buster (forward smash) and his down smash due to startup time, but I think they'll show their true potential against human players. It's so easy to expect nothing but quick attacks from Mega Man that slower ones could be a good mixup.
  • Surprisingly good at edgeguarding because Rush Coil (up special) has so much height. I felt safer heading out over the edge with Mega Man than anyone else, even Pikachu.

The bad:
  • Leaf Shield (down special) might be the worst move since Jigglypuff's Sing. It stops you from recovering, stops you from doing any of your good attacks like Slash Claw, takes too long to start up, takes too long to finish, doesn't do much damage, and honestly doesn't even protect you especially well.
  • Crash Bomb (forward special) seems like a good idea that just isn't that great in practice. Even if you stick it on someone, they can pass it off to another fighter, so... hooray? It's not like it has the damage and knockback of something like Brawl Snake's explosives, either.
  • The Mega Buster (jabs, forward tilt, and neutral air) is good for cutting off the stale moves effect since it comes out fast and has good range, but that's all the credit I'll give it. I definitely use it a few times every match just for that, but I just really wish it either went full screen or did 4 damage.

I feel that there's potential I haven't tapped into yet in the slide (down tilt), Hard Knuckle (down air), and using Rush Coil for aerial chases, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how my Mega Man play is developing!

:4pikachu:

Second most time goes to Pikachu. I like his up tilt to aerial combos and Thunder Jolt spam is still good, but Thunder feels much tougher to use and I'm really having issues actually finishing a foe off because up smash seems like my only worthwhile option. Still fun to play, though!

:4mario:

It's like all of Mario's non-special moves link into each other or something since he feels super fluid no matter what I'm doing. Unfortunately for me, I hate Mario. ...but fortunately for me, I love Luigi, so hopefully he turns out as great as this!

:4villager:

Eh... I wasn't interested in Villager before and I'm not now after half an hour of trying to understand how to play her. Like Pikachu, I have serious issues getting KOs with anything except one move (forward smash in this case), but I don't have Pikachu's speed or diagonal projectiles. Not my character, I suppose.

:4link:

I played Link exactly one time and wrecked a level 9 Link much faster than with any of the other characters. Got two KOs and almost managed a third; Mega Man only did that well for me one lucky time when I managed to gimp Link twice with Slash Claw at low percentages, but Link was just a powerhouse. Still, I really didn't have any fun playing him because he feels so heavy and weighty, which just isn't my style. If you want a power character, here's your guy.

Edit: I don't remember if I had figured out yet that going to Final Destination Battlefield turned items off, so maybe I had some help in my Link match. Still, even if I did, I was usually throwing items off the cliff, so I know he was a beast and the power of his own attacks seriously impressed me.

Last edited:

SupaKMW

Smash Cadet
Man I feel so free with Mario, if I master this imma be a beast lol. This game might end up being something special after all. Actually may live up to the dangerous hype placed on it lol.

Rayze Darr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rayze_Darr
3DS FC
5327-0902-3469
I'm so ticked about one small detail. I was a Platinum member last year, during which time I registered 2 3DSes and a Wii U. And yet, I didn't have the "receive notifications" thing checked. So, I miss my codes strictly because of that. I feel so cheated. Now I have to wait a week to play the demo, and it's going to be the limited play version, all because I didn't want to get spammed with random news.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Alright, so I got the demo about 12 hours ago, and haven't had much time with it. The only thing I'm not sure of are the controls. Maybe I just got really used to the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, but my thumb feels like the jump button should be where the A button is, and the X/Y buttons are in a awkward out-of-reach area. Otherwise, this game feels fantastically smooth. I've fallen in love with it already.

:4mario: :4link:
Out of the demo characters, I have gotten the hang of Mario and Link the most. Probably because they feel a little familiar (even though I've never mained either of them). Link probably feels the best to me out of all of the characters in the demo (mostly because I am really good with sword users for some reason).

:4pikachu:
Pikachu was alright, I did well with him. He felt very natural, and I love his aerials and smash attacks.

:4villager:
Villager was weird for me to get used to. I think it was mainly his aerials. Haven't tried his Pick Up special, yet. I haven't much to say about Villager except that he definitely feels different.

:4megaman:
Mega Man was... eh. I'm not much of a fan. I don't like that he doesn't have an AAA combo. That's my main concern with him. Almost every move he has is a projectile. I'm more of an up-close player, sans a few characters who can put distance like Ness, but I really felt weird playing Mega Man.

Maybe it's just because Mega Man and Villager are new, but I'm definitely going to try to spend more time with them until the game releases. My main in Brawl was the Random Button (my favorite was Zero Suit Samus, though), and I don't want to hit the Random Button in Smash 4 praying not to get a certain character.

EDIT: I also want to comment on how easy it is to pull off tilts in the game. For some reason I really had a hard time landing some tilts in Melee and Brawl because I'm a n00b, but it feels a lot more natural here. The only problem is that sometimes I go for a Smash attack, and end up doing a tilt.

Last edited:

SupermanNKO

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4570-8405-1628
I just been playing this on my 2ds and i was worried a little bit by size but omg im not anymroe im glad for this demo and love how the controls feel on the 2ds!!!

also the villager is absolutely nuts, pikachu has always been a main for me but im thinking villager might be my new main when i get the game oct 3rd.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
My general impressions:

1) Mega Man and Villager are awesome characters. They are full of gimmicks. Pretty nice newcomers.

2) Some kind of disappointed with ledge mechanics. Can't say anything by now, but I don't like the changes at all.

3) Mega Man shoryuken is maybe the sexiest move in the series.

4) I find Link pretty better.

5) This game NEEDS a deep control configurator AND a secondary stick. Really, I miss it so much...

6) Why is Nintendo insisting on 2 minutes matches with every single object? It's a shame we cannot touch this in the demo, because the default match rules are awful.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Constant Megaman play. Game feels great, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final version where I can kill this stupid tapjump that ruins my tilts.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Played for an hour or two yesterday. Definitely like the feel of the game, although I'll save detailed impressions for later.

One thing I'm definitely noticing is how... specific all the hitboxes are. I've seen this in some of the videos as well. If you don't hit with the actual move, don't expect to get that phantom hitbox doing your work for you. I noticed in stream yesterday that Falcon's nair literally only connects if his legs pass through someone, rather than them just being in the general area. This holds true for Link's sword and Villagers various items in the demo as well. Definitely requires a mental shift.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Also, for anyone wondering, if you hit X on the stage select screen, you can switch to FD-mode on Battlefield, eliminating the platforms and turning items off.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yep, don't know why Nintendo is also that interested in tap jumping...
To be fair, it was default in Melee and 64, and is kinda the norm for fighters. I just don't like it (even though I fairly quickly adjusted to it for the demo), and want it gone.

Other impressions: Love the new edge mechanics, blast zones aren't too far for me (I enjoy that sort of gameplay), ceiling KOs are kinda satisfying, Air Shooter is glorious, and whoever decided to make Hard Knuckle reflectable should be scolded harshly.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Alright, I am officially excited for Link in Smash 4. Playing him feels SO good.

espio87

Smash Ace
Played for an hour or two yesterday. Definitely like the feel of the game, although I'll save detailed impressions for later.

One thing I'm definitely noticing is how... specific all the hitboxes are. I've seen this in some of the videos as well. If you don't hit with the actual move, don't expect to get that phantom hitbox doing your work for you. I noticed in stream yesterday that Falcon's nair literally only connects if his legs pass through someone, rather than them just being in the general area. This holds true for Link's sword and Villagers various items in the demo as well. Definitely requires a mental shift.
Yes, the hitboxes seem less forgiving than in Brawl, forcing you to think when comboing.

I love the villager. I can't seem to get over the "serial killer" vibe the meme portrays him even more so by using his axe which hits with a lot of power if not used to chop down the tree.

Megaman feels like I'm playing a Megaman game and I love that.

Pikachu, Link and Mario definetely got buffed but at the same time some of their hitboxes got adjusted, it costed me a bit more to land Mario's f-air, for example.

Overall the game looks and feels pretty good. My only complaint is that the shield and grab buttons are flipped from the way I use them and I can't reassign them, confusing me in the heat of battle. Luckily I will be able to do that in the full version.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I also noticed this. I think for 1 on 1s if you have hard time trying to hit or combo,, it's good to use the "marker" by tapping the opponent's icon in the touch screen. Helps a lot with marking the overall "hitbox" of character for you.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
I really love the feel of the game overall, a lot more than I did with brawl, my only complaint is not so much towards the demo but the 3ds as after playing for a good while my hand starts to cramp up.

Top Bottom