• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Demo Discussion (No code giveaway etc.)

marvel b

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2423-3428-7359
i really like the demo! and my older brother seems to enjoy it too,which is good since he hated brawl.this is how i see the gameplay and little details..
MARIO:i just love the new sound effects for him!he plays well....just wish i stop final smashing the wrong way.....
LINK:his movements and attacks seem more fitting for the great hylian warrior.still hate the boomernado thing.
PIKACHU:once again i love the electrical sounds from the system pokemon games! brings back memories of XD. some attack feel nerfed,with others buffed.
MEGA MAN: love it,love every thing about megaman. he is my main,since i can go vs three level 9 while i'm level seven with the others,which brings up......
VILLAGER: i swear he is the anti-megaman. he is really good at collecting my attacks.plays weird for my taste...
BATTLEFIELD: the items in the basic form come at a good rate,and i can get back from being launched from far away,and i enjoy the length of omega form.it feel right
A.I.LEVELS: at first they were to easy at level 3, but trying level 9 was too much,too fast. they do get distracted when the nintendog annoys me,so thats a plus.but my brother pointed out that when they have a final smash,they target the player,not even attacking themselves.
ALL IN ALL: i love it.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
i really like the demo! and my older brother seems to enjoy it too,which is good since he hated brawl.this is how i see the gameplay and little details..
MARIO:i just love the new sound effects for him!he plays well....just wish i stop final smashing the wrong way.....
LINK:his movements and attacks seem more fitting for the great hylian warrior.still hate the boomernado thing.
PIKACHU:once again i love the electrical sounds from the system pokemon games! brings back memories of XD. some attack feel nerfed,with others buffed.
MEGA MAN: love it,love every thing about megaman. he is my main,since i can go vs three level 9 while i'm level seven with the others,which brings up......
VILLAGER: i swear he is the anti-megaman. he is really good at collecting my attacks.plays weird for my taste...
BATTLEFIELD: the items in the basic form come at a good rate,and i can get back from being launched from far away,and i enjoy the length of omega form.it feel right
A.I.LEVELS: at first they were to easy at level 3, but trying level 9 was too much,too fast. they do get distracted when the nintendog annoys me,so thats a plus.but my brother pointed out that when they have a final smash,they target the player,not even attacking themselves.
ALL IN ALL: i love it.
For megaman vs villager lv9, use leaf shield and grab, or walk forward buster shot and grab. Get him off stage and use smash attacks to punish recovery.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I played the demo for a good 3 hours. I still play it every once in awhile. I didn't get to play the Smashfest or the convention demos, and I really wanted to see if the 3DS version could compete with the console game. So it was worth it for me.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, it seems I found a thing not much people knew so, just telling it here if you weren't aware of it.

If you have the early demo, you can trick it so that you can play as one character with the sandbag only endlessly on the waiting room stage. The stage offers a damage counter automatically reset after some seconds so might be useful as combo counter as well as live visual indicator of the damage you do. It last as long as you don't press L and R the same time.

Go in smash -> group and host a match with your character and a cpu and enjoy endless training :)

Wonder if it was known in this thread.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
In that case I'm playing the hell out of this demo (as if I wasn't going to already :p). Gonna buy tons of stuff when the full game releases.

------------

I think it's safe to say Smash 4 will be my favourite Smash game in terms of raw mechanics and how the characters feel. Mario, Link, and Pikachu feel a lot better now. Just feel greatly improved all around, be it speed, combo potential, power, etc.

I was no good at all with Villager at first. His extreme floatiness threw me off and I just couldn't land hits with him. I felt his attacks weren't built for his floatiness. After a bit of practice though, I started to figure out how to play him, and I have a lot of fun with him, he's definitely very viable. And I think he's the best character against the Level 9 CPUs in this demo. I'm good enough to defeat them anyway, but for some reason, they act really silly when Villager grows a tree, so I use that to my advantage. He truly is the "Killager". :p

And as for Mega Man....OOOOOOH lawdy, I made the right choice setting my sights on him from the start.

To the people having trouble with him - you're not supposed to play him like an up close brawler. He's a marksman in the truest sense of the word.

My general play style for him is that I NEVER STOP MOVING and attacking. His rolls are nice and swift, and get you around faster than his dash. Alternating between Crash Bombs and Metal Blades really pressures your opponent well. As for Leaf Shield, it's situational, but still quite useful. It's a high priority projectile, and will cut through and destroy all of Mario, Link, and Pikachu's projectiles.

However, using short hop Flame Sword and Shadow Claw is a viable option, they have good range and can send your opponent flying. Basically you want to pressure opponents with projectiles and then approach with Flame Sword and Shadow Claw. You can afford to be relentless with this tactic, since the range is great. You can also start shooting pellets at the opponent afterwards, even at point-blank range, and can get grabs in from that if you're really quick.

Also Hard Knuckle is amazing. Takes some getting used to, but if you relentlessly follow people off stage with it, kills are easy. Mega Man's excellent ability to recover makes it feel like it isn't too big a risk either. Hard Knuckle is also useful for bouncing people off the ground when they are standing on the ground.

There are two things you have to be careful of with Hard Knuckle, however:

1) It can be reflected. If Mario uses his cape on it, it will go straight back up to you and hit you in the face.
2) If Hard Knuckle lands a direct hit on someone who has a Gooey Bomb or Crash Bomb stuck to them, that bomb will suddenly teleport to Mega Man and be stuck to him.

I haven't been able to see if it can be pocketed by Villager, though.

But yeah, I really love playing as Mega Man. Definitely one of the most fun characters in the history of the franchise, IMO.
Wow, I need to say, THIS IS AMAZING! Thank you for this!

After reading this, I've been trying out Mega Man for a couple days - he's so much fun! When I started playing the Demo, I honestly thought Mega Man was going to be one of the worst characters in the game. When I read this, I decided to try it out, not really thinking it'd make him much better, but he's AMAZING. I'm able to play efficiently with him now, and it's really fun. I'd say he's my second favorite character in the Demo now, haha.

Everything you talked about here really helped me out. I guess I wasn't even thinking while playing him, lol. I didn't know Hard Knuckle was so good, but now that I started using it, I can get kills insanely fast with Mega Man. Also, Crash Bomb and Metal Blade spam is really good, like you said. While I don't SH Flame Sword much, Shadow Claw is so amazing, and it has some insane knockback. Also, his little pellets are fun to catch opponents by surprise, lol.

Oh, and the thing that helped the most had to be this:

"My general play style for him is that I NEVER STOP MOVING and attacking."

This had such a big impact on how good Mega Man could be, it's INCREDIBLE. Keeping at bay while putting pressure and gaining percentage on the opponent is so great, since you won't get destroyed by some Mario combo or something. I really can't believe I never thought of it. It's genius. This really is what made Mega Man so much better for me.

Also, on the topic of Mega Man, I found out that if you use Crash Bomb then Forward Smash, you can break shields. If Crash Bomb goes off and there's not enough time to get a F-Smash out, the CPU finishes shielding, then the Forward Smash can still hit them and set them up for a Hard Knuckle.

Cryo Blades

Smash Rookie
NNID
CryoBlades
I just wanted to make a thread about some observations I noticed within my Demo for Smash 4. It shall cover all characters in the demo, and how I noticed some things corresponding with them. This is my first thread, so if I make any errors anywhere, please let me know.

I don't know whether or not to post a topic in the first "post". But I noticed some things about the Villager. While playing, his side smash can be used against him. Since the bowling ball is technically a projectile, if timed right, Mario's cape can be used and the ball will hit the villager instead. Also, the balloons for the Villager's recovery, in my opinion at least, are a great "block" for meteor smashes or spikes. The absorb some frames of the attack causing the attacker to continue slower, while the villager continues to move. That's what I wanted to mention for now, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't know whether or not to post a topic in the first "post". But I noticed some things about the Villager. While playing, his side smash can be used against him. Since the bowling ball is technically a projectile, if timed right, Mario's cape can be used and the ball will hit the villager instead. Also, the balloons for the Villager's recovery, in my opinion at least, are a great "block" for meteor smashes or spikes. The absorb some frames of the attack causing the attacker to continue slower, while the villager continues to move. That's what I wanted to mention for now, anyway.
On the note of Balloon Trip, though they do block some attacks from above, I don't think they collide with other players, so if the player positions right, they can still hit Villager through the balloons.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Sure the demo doesn't have much content for you to keep coming back to. But maybe you did play it a lot? As for the people who own a Japanese 3DS along with the game how many hours did you put into it so far?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I have play it. ALOT. But the good stuff is. The tips can really be helpful and usefull for learning.
And yeah the assist trophy in the game are fun to watch and play with friends.
And the demos is forever YOURS!

Raijinken

Smash Master
About 18 hours on the demo, then I decided that if I ever want to have fun as Megaman again, I should limit my play to only a few rounds a day when friends aren't over.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've played it quite a lot, although when it started coming out that people's circle pads were breaking I got a bit nervous and slowed down. Sometimes I throw up an all CPU match for a breather.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
actual game: power time is 60 hours so far. unfortunately I have 40 hours work weeks so it could be more...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Only had it an hour or so - but the demo is blowing me away, let alone the full game.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I got around 10-11 hours in the demo now, which at least 1 hour of that is trying to click on Palutena T^T Why u no work

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Not sure if I want to play it and get used to the controls or wait til it comes out and customize it how I want then.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I've got about 5 hours in. I might take a break now to keep it fresh for the actual release. Then I guarantee it'll be my most played 3DS game.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I played the demo a bit but I try not to play it much since it's annoying seeing Shulk there and knowing I can't use him.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Honestly i have had the demo since it was announced on the 12th i believe it was and have only played maybe 3 hours total? The content and ESPECIALLY the controls is really what kills me, but after reading on some interesting megaman tech i have wanted to give it another go. The demo pretty much turns me off from getting the 3DS version because i know it will only be frustrating to play without the new 3DS, and there's no point getting acclimated to a limited control scheme just to have a head start on playing the game. I really want the game, but having it would give me too much reason to instantly get the new 3DS and i would rather have the option to wait out making that decision.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
About 18 hours of the demo. Been taking it easy since my soft part of the circle pad is about ready to fall off.

marvel b

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2423-3428-7359
did anyone go to the vault and just kept checking the tips? because i did this and a smash run card hade no details or anything!it takes a while to find it,but i want to know why is it blank. i got it three times in thirty minutes.

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
Well do any of you guys know when the demo will be availed for everybody?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'm going to play it all night tonight. It was worth every dollar of my twelve from eBay.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
The speed of the game is a perfect medium between Melee and Brawl. Perfect. Villager is also amazing, a little weird and hard at first but once you get used to him...ohhh once you get used to him he's a king. Just... amazing. He's super unique and just so different from everyone! Hehe, I love to troll with pocket, and look up ssb4 Villager hot potato on Google. Link seems much better this time around, better than ever before, so that's great! I've always been kinda sad that Link was just low/mid tier in the other Smash Bros. games but I look forward to playing him! Mario is easy to learn and I like how his cape turns the opponent now. I can't really explain Pikachu because I've always sucked at Pikachu so I'd have no idea what I'm talking about lol. MEGA MAN. Mega Man... hmm. Tbh, to me, all his B attacks seem kinda useless (except his recovery, that's always good) and I only ever end up using his A's/Smash Attacks. His fully charged side smash and his down and up smash...well I guess ALL of his smashes wreck. Everything. That's just my opinion on the game, I liked reading yours!

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've already put in over 8 hours into the demo so far. Loving every second of it! Even though it's fairly light on content, there's enough there to keep me coming back for me to get my Smash fix until the full game releases. And I'm learning so much from just those 5 characters.

Addy Who Dat

Smash Cadet
This is. How I see this demo
:4mario: he has a really good speed buff and can pull off combos better now, making his up til it all the better(along with his up air)
:4link: Jump Slash is a great move but seems to be easily countered.I still can't pull off his projectile game so his buffed attacks are nice
:4pikachu: Nothing really has changed. Still a character with lots of spamming
:villager: Men. His side air is a slingshot witch is hard to aim, hisup air is a strange cartwheel thing I can't land.up amah is not bad,but I don't like his side smash. He plays kiunda slow so comboinng is very difficult.
:4megaman: to my surprise he is my second favorite. Wonderful fair and. Bair, very useful smashesand I found his projectiles be pretty useful and landed solid hits.his up and. Down til it are nice to. I can't use leaf sheild and hard knuckle well.
Overall the speed is perfect, wonderful 3d. I will admit many items are not competitivly viable. Great Demo!

SoraYoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
xNinjaYoshix
3DS FC
0130-1855-1624
I'm maining Mega-Man for the demo, And he is decent though getting a lot of low/negative opinions.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I don't really like Mega Man, as his standard shot is about a sixth of his moveset or something like that. Everyone else is fine (except Link, but I never really liked Link).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
did anyone go to the vault and just kept checking the tips? because i did this and a smash run card hade no details or anything!it takes a while to find it,but i want to know why is it blank. i got it three times in thirty minutes.
If you keep tapping the button, they loop over but there's a lot on just characters.

Here's some:

Even found an empty one:

GLITCHES :)

Anyway, there's another one on the Paper Mario stage just saying that the fans makes launching to the right easier.

But I didn't checked everyone for the fighters there's way too much to read.

Top Bottom