• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delays or nah?

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
Would you rather have delays on your game or would you rather have it out the very first date they said we would get it?
Remember though, they said with Brawl that the reason we didn't get nearly all of the Melee champs we wanted was because of the rushed game. ...Even though they delayed like 5 times.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
delays i want that stuff done and good quality i dont want no goat simulator

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
It would break my heart if they delayed it at this point. But yeah....if that meant a better game in the end then I can dig it

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
delays i want that stuff done and good quality i dont want no goat simulator
If I get a character that can lick a character and just turns into a rag-doll for the rest of the match attached to the enemy, I don't even care. Give me the game right now. I need this.

CHALLENGER APPROACHING
GOAT LICKS THE FRAY

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Delay. I'll be playing this game for many years to come.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
It depends. If they wanted to just add Pichu, Roy, or Dr. Mario, I'd say no delay. If they wanted to add in a few new stages, sure, a delay could be okay.

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
If the delay translates to even better gameplay, I'm all for it. If it's content then nah just gimme already.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Smash 3DS was originally planned to be released during Summer 2014, but it got delayed to October for the North Americans and Europeans. Japan stays true to the Summer 2014 release though.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
we might get like 3 dlcs

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At this point I don't see the game being delayed heavily like Brawl. Any small bugs can be patched, and any unfinished stages or characters could just be free DLC.

The only thing that could possibly result in a delay is if the localisation team need an extra week to get everything translated or something.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
No delay no matter what.

We already got tons of characters. I want to ***** play the game already.
This tbh, I'm tired of waiting for this ****. Brawl was still SO much fun despite being "rushed"

Raijinken

Smash Master
Brawl's delay in America was also partially due to production not able to meet demand. But seeing as Smash4 has patching potential, I will take it at the slated release, and they can patch it later.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
You mean roy and mewtwo were cut because the game was rushed? @ random post in here?

Wow they shoulda just delayed it more. D<

With that in mind, no brainer that delays making a game good is way better than getting an early game that could've been better.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Brawl was still SO much fun despite being "rushed"
This is my only hope and it is what keeps me waiting for this new game. I know Brawl had a lot of issues, and the character imbalances are testimony to that.

This time they have scrapped timekiller gimmicks like SSE and brought a new balancing team to fix Sakurai´s balancing mess. Not to mention they have had a lot of time to develop the gameplay and on top of that feedback from the pros.

I hope they do not fail this time.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think there will be any delay to add characters, Nintendo is happy to release things as DLC as evidenced by Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, and Mario Golf (and I know I'm missing some). Point is, this game is coming out on time so that Nintendo can take advantage of the Black Friday sales rush.

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
Nintendo's not the kind of company to say "We'll just fix it with DLC," so I could very easily see the game getting delayed if they find something wrong with it. If it's for balancing purposes, they could delay it til Winter 2016 (though it'd be tough to wait).

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Delays > rushed product. Though I gotta admit the 3ds delay hurt because I was looking forward playing through that this vacation.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Release it now. If they overlook some gamebreaking stuff, they can just patch it later in this day and age.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It depends on the kind of delay.
Just look at Duke Nukem Forever. Just because it was teased for so long and virtually trapped in development hell doesn't mean it turned out good.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Theoretically - A delay, if necessary, would probably be best if it were to improve the game drastically or fix bugs.

Realistically - They can't delay it really... At least not past the end of the year, the Wii U is depending on it pretty heavily. Losing out on all the money and Wii Us through Christmas bundles for a few stages / characters would be sinful.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
id take delays for a better game as well as more characters but nintendo needs to get this game out for christmas or else wii u is doomed

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
You mean roy and mewtwo were cut because the game was rushed? @ random post in here?

Wow they shoulda just delayed it more. D<

With that in mind, no brainer that delays making a game good is way better than getting an early game that could've been better.
I've read that Roy was cut for that reason, along with Dr. Mario. But I don't know about Mewtwo, I don't think they were going to include him again. That's why I'm not really expecting him in Smash 4. It's also the reason that Toon Link, Sonic, Wolf, and Jigglypuff had such crappy inclusions in Subspace. Apparently they had more planned to fit every single character in but just couldn't. If you look at Brawl's files there's evidence that supports this with Brawlbox because you can see the order that they added the characters in. The original characters along with the newcomers revealed in the first reveal trailer were pretty much in the first 20 and they were almost all the first characters to be included in Subspace. I made this picture to somewhat explain what I mean.

I don't have Photoshop right now so sorry for the crappy edit (I also hope it doesn't resize too large, if it does I'll edit it into a Link.) but, every single character has these slots that stand for their selection slot in the character select screen and all of their alt skins. I'm using the Project M one but it's not too different other than the empty character slots (which there are 5 or 6 of meaning there were going to be probably about 5 more characters put in but got rushed) being filled by Mewtwo and Roy.
These are mainly the characters that had NOTHING to do with Subspace except for one cutscene (once again, Snake is an exception to the rule) and the fact that they're at the very end of the list with some empty slots supports that they put them in rushed. I honestly think Toon Link was supposed to have a different move list but they didn't have time for that, and they also didn't want to leave out Tink.
It's just some food for thought when it comes to delays. Think of what all they could have added to the roster and subspace with about 3 or 4 more months of time, probably even less.

toon ridley amiriet

Edit: Wario is another exception, I think they had him further up and then moved him due to his classic costume being an alt. I might be wrong though.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
If some part of the game is broken or not working as intended, (or if it's just unfinished, obviously) then yeah, delay it if it's necesary to fix it.

If it's delays for more content, **** that. Stick to the plan and release the game when done, there will always be more content to add no matter how many things you already put in a game, and you can't just keep on developing a game forever and delay it forever.

Besides, delays are not for free, every time you delay a game, you're basically extending it's budget, which is why delays are often just not worth it.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
As some mentioned, if there is a gamebraking issues then it's reasonable to delay the game. Otherwise, it's not worth to delay it for any other reason since Wii U is going to need a seller for the holidays.

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
If some part of the game is broken or not working as intended, (or if it's just unfinished, obviously) then yeah, delay it if it's necesary to fix it.

If it's delays for more content, **** that. Stick to the plan and release the game when done, there will always be more content to add no matter how many things you already put in a game, and you can't just keep on developing a game forever and delay it forever.

Besides, delays are not for free, every time you delay a game, you're basically extending it's budget, which is why delays are often just not worth it.
I've always been more of a fan of the content than the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the gameplay, but I love the content even more. If a game with completely brand new fighting characters had this gameplay instead of Nintendo chars. and stages, I doubt I'd play it much at all. So I guess I'd be okay with a content delay.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Please no delays... The hype train left the station back in 2011 going at 4000 miles an hour. Toon link is the conductor. (unless he's in battle of course)

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
The game started being made in early 2012 at this point they have no need to delay it.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I don't mind a delay for as long as the 3DS release date stays as it is. Take yer time, Wii U!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
They have had a lot of time to make the game. Ill not tolerate any delays.

They didnt even had to worry for something as troublesome and demanding lik the SSE, so they have no excuse.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Every time someone asks for Ridley he delays the game by a day

Geno is now a x2 multiplier

Top Bottom