• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I've decided to main this character. He seems to be the best in the game. 98% winrate in For Glory with him right now c:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like how all the way up until release after E3, people were saying "Little Mac sucks! He is so limited to the ground! he'll never be good!"

Oh boy, how wrong they were. Little Mac is shaping up to be the opposite of Meta Knight, but just as broken.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'm entering Doubles as Little Mac with a Robin main tomorrow, and I can't help but wonder how this will turn out. It's either going to be really awesome, or a great fail xD

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like how all the way up until release after E3, people were saying "Little Mac sucks! He is so limited to the ground! he'll never be good!"

Oh boy, how wrong they were. Little Mac is shaping up to be the opposite of Meta Knight, but just as broken.
He's not broken at all.

Pretty well balanced, but gonna have extreme match ups. I feel characters that can camp really well are very difficult against in my experience but I'm not really good with the character to say for sure. Mac is super easy to fight against with Wario in my experience, but similarly, didn't fight a lot of good Macs.

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
So anyone realize yet that you can edgeguard on Yoshi's Island with a downsmash? Go to the ledge, and the downward slope allows your downsmash to go below the ledge. Caught so many people with it in tourney last night. Made some bank.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
You can do it on normal ledges too but yeah you probably get a lot more mileage on Yoshi's Island.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Any advice on how to land with him?

I'm honestly more afraid of getting juggled than getting launched off stage because landing safely from above is so difficult. His air speed is so bad, counter is way too risky (and ineffective against fast fallers anyway) and air dodging is just asking to get punished. I find myself praying when it comes to that a lot lol.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
He's not broken at all.

Pretty well balanced, but gonna have extreme match ups. I feel characters that can camp really well are very difficult against in my experience but I'm not really good with the character to say for sure. Mac is super easy to fight against with Wario in my experience, but similarly, didn't fight a lot of good Macs.
A lot of characters have crappy airgame, but none of them have a buffed perfect groundgame in return like little mac does. Airgame isn't a 'pro', losing an air game isn't the end of the world. Ground game on FD is dominant, so Mac is basically broken by design on that stage, as his design philosophy assumes platforms are being used.

He's broken because For Glory doesn't include battlefield versions as well.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I believe that Little Mac has a ledge pressure flowchart against most characters, if your reactions are on point. It seems that most characters have no way to get back to the ground from the ledge against Little Mac, like literally.

Any advice on how to land with him?

I'm honestly more afraid of getting juggled than getting launched off stage because landing safely from above is so difficult. His air speed is so bad, counter is way too risky (and ineffective against fast fallers anyway) and air dodging is just asking to get punished. I find myself praying when it comes to that a lot lol.
He does actually have some tools to land, at least against some characters. His fast fall speed is good. Air dodging also isn't that bad, because even if you get punished, you still get your double jump back, which gives you a better chance to get out of the juggle the next time.

Getting juggled is one of his issues, though. You can definitely be juggled to death.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pink sweatshirt is unfortunately the most popular it seems. It doesn't really bother me that someone has to play as Dark Little Mac when two people choose it, but apparently it does for some people, cuz I've definitely seen someone haymaker off the stage thinking they were me lol

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You know what's sayisfying? Landing a Jolt Haymaker straight to a Rosalina's face after leaping over her Luma Shot.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
If anyone needed assistance on performing the 3 Fsmashes here's a tip:

Do an Fsmash and quartercircle up to do the uppercut. Fsmash and quartercircle down to do the body blow

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Are there any good Macs around? You could say I need to test something in a battle. Friday night will probably work, or maybe the weekend.
I thought I was good. I always win in For Glory and I always beat my brother but I played with my brother's friend yesterday and he bodied me with Mario, Link, and Falcon so maybe I'm not as good as I thought...:ohwell:

I'd still be down to play tho

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Something I saw a someone send someone this morning, in response to someone posting that they were confused about the OP complaints due to seeing Mac consistently getting destroyed at tournaments:
You ****ing *****. I bet you main Little Mac, don't you? I hope you die in a fire.
Is it just me, or is the complaining getting seriously out of hand?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Something I saw a someone send someone this morning, in response to someone posting that they were confused about the OP complaints due to seeing Mac consistently getting destroyed at tournaments:

Oh yes. I'd guess the reason people complain so much is that Mac requires a change in playstyle, no matter who he fights. He's not that big of a deal to me because most Mac players, sorry in advance, are just giant turkeys who spam stupid moves.

Thankfully his overuse seems to be dying down already.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh yes. I'd guess the reason people complain so much is that Mac requires a change in playstyle, no matter who he fights. He's not that big of a deal to me because most Mac players, sorry in advance, are just giant turkeys who spam stupid moves.

Thankfully his overuse seems to be dying down already.
Yeah, there's that. And on top of this, the person who recieved that death threat was a Pac-Man main, not a Mac main.

I'm seeing Mac a lot less nowadays, yeah, but the ones I do see are absolutely terrifying. I went up against one earlier today who moved and fought like a real boxer; always moving around, faking out movements, and hitting hard whenever the slightest opening presented itself. Natural selection is sifting through the small fries and leaving the few sharks to feast.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
A lot of characters have crappy airgame, but none of them have a buffed perfect groundgame in return like little mac does. Airgame isn't a 'pro', losing an air game isn't the end of the world. Ground game on FD is dominant, so Mac is basically broken by design on that stage, as his design philosophy assumes platforms are being used.

He's broken because For Glory doesn't include battlefield versions as well.
I just went through a long set with a friend of mine. Yea, he won on FD a bit, but eventually I convinced him to switch to Duck Hunt Dog as a main. Wanna know what he said?

"His ground game just isn't worth the terrible air game". That was after a match on an omega stage. Forcing Mac to be god awful by picking stages with platforms isn't addressing the actual balance of the character. It's just patching it up by forcing him into a scenario he's horrid in: jumping for any reason.

Bunansa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0447-5165-3456
Does anyone want to fight Little Mac Dittos? I know if there is going to be someone to rival me and to learn to never fall again to LM Dittos. PM me if youve added my friend code and I'll do the same right after work.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Just a random thought: It's a bit weird to see Little Mac grabbing and pummeling people. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to grab people in boxing.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675

Yeah I've seen nothing but complaining about Mac ever since the game released. It's getting pretty annoying to have people constantly bash your character because they think he's "OP". It's getting to the point that I don't even play Little Mac with friends anymore because they complain after every match about how cheap he is and how he is a terrible character design. Even when I play a whole match without landing a K.O. punch or blowing through their moves with super armor they still complain...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just a random thought: It's a bit weird to see Little Mac grabbing and pummeling people. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to grab people in boxing.
Well boxers do, it's called clenching. Usually they're broken apart by the referee when this happens. I think it's considered wrong to clench (withdraws points from the judges, if I'm not mistaken), but it's not illegal.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Inexplicably Blonde Wireframe costume is extremely silly and I love it.

I do use Mac on FG sometimes, but only after I've already won against that opponent using other characters first.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah I always start with Mac in FG. If I straight destroy someone in game 1 then I'll switch characters. If it's close and I win then I'll play Mac a second game. After two straight wins, I play as someone else unless I get a new challenger. Then I go back to Mac and repeat the process

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Where do you guys think Mac will place on the tier list?

I think he'll be a 10-20, Mid High Character

ChampKing

Smash Cadet
Man Mac is awesome. Just won a local tourney with him. Even the platforms weren't a problem. His ground game is really underestimated even by other Mac mains. KO Punch is particularly underestimated. You can combo into it at lower percents and you get two or three per game for playing normally. Land one at an earlyish percent and you pretty much win. D-Tilt has got to be my favorite move. Safe, fast and combo potienal.

When Wii U is out high level Mac play will be glorious with that crazy ground momentum.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I haven't been playing online matches since I got the game (I don't plan on doing it due to not having a stable wi-if connection) but I've been hearing complaints about people saying that Little Mac is overused in For Gory matches and rage quitting and all that othe stuff.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I haven't been playing online matches since I got the game (I don't plan on doing it due to not having a stable wi-if connection) but I've been hearing complaints about people saying that Little Mac is overused in For Gory matches and rage quitting and all that othe stuff.
I've played long sessions of For Glory matches these past two days, and I must say they have to be blowing it all out of proportion.

I've only stumbled upon:
-Kirby
-Shulk
-Lucario (twice)
-King Dedede
-Bowser Jr.
-Falco
-Lucina (twice)
-Dark Pit (twice)
-Little Mac
-Wario (three times)

Off the top of my head. I've been dedicating 90% to Megaman in order for the supposedly Little Mac abuse to die down a little. But it's harder to use him online with little input lag and whatnot. Not to say Little Mac is any different, but recovering can be screwed by input lag so...

Anyway, point is, I haven've seen much of Little Mac, so I don't know what people are complaining about. I had ONE match against him using Megaman, and it was a lot of fun. Managed to win it, despite me SDing.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've played long sessions of For Glory matches these past two days, and I must say they have to be blowing it all out of proportion.

I've only stumbled upon:
-Kirby
-Shulk
-Lucario (twice)
-King Dedede
-Bowser Jr.
-Falco
-Lucina (twice)
-Dark Pit (twice)
-Little Mac
-Wario (three times)

Off the top of my head. I've been dedicating 90% to Megaman in order for the supposedly Little Mac abuse to die down a little. But it's harder to use him online with little input lag and whatnot. Not to say Little Mac is any different, but recovering can be screwed by input lag so...

Anyway, point is, I haven've seen much of Little Mac, so I don't know what people are complaining about. I had ONE match against him using Megaman, and it was a lot of fun. Managed to win it, despite me SDing.
Yeah, I mean it's silly that some people were whining a complaining about him being "overused" instead of having a lot of fun and just go along with it. Just because almost everyone likes to play as the same character over again doesn't mean they'll stop, which is something everyone will have to get used to. I'm willing to bet that they're also the same people who were whining and complaining about Rosalina being overused in Mario Kart 8.

Well anyways, congrats on winning that matchup (Mega Man is awesome btw) and I'm looking forward to seeing his punches in HD.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Longtime Punch-Out!! fan and Mac advocate here, and I'm happy to say that he is an absolute joy to play as.

Regarding For Glory, I almost never see him over here in Japan. More often than not, the only time he'll show up is when I beat the opponent and they "counterpick" by choosing Mac as well. Unfortunately, however, they often only select him out of spite without having a good feel for the character, so it rarely works out very well for them, haha.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah salty dittos are pretty much the only time I see him anymore either lmao. I think the problem was either blown up to look bigger than it was or ended up dying down fast anyway lol.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I guess they must've realized they're not good enough to play as him without building up any skill first. heh
I mean even "salty dittos" should know that people playing as the Mac don't always win.

Top Bottom