• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's Chain Grab and Competitive Play

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
just cuz i CG you across the stage with it doesn't make it broken, I 0-death people in melee all the time with CGs and that never got banned

edit - I would like to say that even though it's really difficult, I'm pretty sure I can CG marth even if they try to escape, but you have little to no room for error in that one. I'll just Marth ditto people in tourney anyway though.

DDD's not even top tier, he's like high tier, and you wanna ban something just cuz I **** you with it?

Fair enough, but in return I ban double jumping, so if i throw you off you have to up B or just die.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I'm sure you all know of KD3's (King Dedede's) crazy chain grab. Bottom line, it's way to broken, and it's pretty much unfair. Once you get grabbed you either get a bunch of damage racked up on you and in position for edgeguarding, or if there's a walk off ledge, your dead. Now there were chain grabs in Melee, but they were all situational and on few characters. KD3's chain grab works on about 32 of the 39 characters (3 PT, Zamus, ZeldaSheik. 32 is a rough estimation it's smoewhere around there) and works at ANY percent. It would seem unfair to completely ban KD3, but what about the banning of the technique? For instance, no one is allowed to down throw chain grab with Dedede 2 or more times. Like they can be allowed to grab, down throw once, grab, but can not follow up with another chain grab. They could do another down throw if they wanted, but they can't follow up with a grab, and can instead do something like a ftilt. What do you all think, is this fair for tournament play?
This post fails for so many reasons.

1) Chain grabs were in melee
2) Chain grabs don't fall into the criteria of banning (enforceable, discrete, warranted)
3) It works on 23 out of the 35 characters
4) At higher percentages characters can tech away

The only things that should be banned are random elements which include items and certain stages, everything else should be fair game.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
yo only fox, falco, zelda/shiek, olimar, pikachu and squritle can't get chain. everyone else dies if the person can do the chain right. in stages like final d or battle chain grab is limited accordin to where in the stage your at. in the bridge or shadow moses or the corner of corneira U R DONE.

ya saying oh don't get grab lmao. my lil cousin 10 years old literally and this is no lie, did the chain grab in halberd. my lil cousin can't do the ice climbers, but he did the chain grab wit dedede. i bet all of ya right now, ya will complain about a move that u press down, run and grab then repeat.

this game is already getting ruin by the stupid community that half of ya don't even have the game. ya a bunch of youtube feens and watch the videos. i just saw the olimar combo and laugh, cuz the person with bowser had terrible d.i, and when he hit the floor, he could of tech. only one person i know for sure has a 0 to death combo.

somone on here said don't get grab lmao. thatz impossible in this game. each stock especially in this game, your more likely to get grab, just cause powershield now named perfect shield is alot easier to do. i have the game and play awhole bunch of different people. don't put any comments about the game is wack or you don't like a stage till you had time with the game and i don't mean you play the game one time. i mean actually play it everyday or something.

"yo only fox, falco (etc.) can't get chained"
Sounds good to me :)

rove

Smash Apprentice
I dont see what the big problem is, You could chain grab fox a lot if you timed them all right.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
4. MvC2 is way deeper than that; there's at least 2-3 dozen people that are viable in tournament play. Heck, I've played people that blow others away using Ken/SonSon/Cable, just because they learn how to play well. When you count the usefulness of assists/supers/trick techniques, you can put together a good team with near anyone you want. (E.G. My two fave teams are Felicia/Tron/Cammy, and Spiral/B.B./Hood/Cammy Now other than Cammy, most would scoff at these teams, but played well they're devestating) The main point is, and this is my rallying cry, is that people need to adapt, and get around things. If you don't like DeDeDe's chaingrab, then use it yourself!
I can't agree here at all. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is one of the most unbalanced games of all time. Surely it is very deep, but out of the 54 characters in the game, only about the top 12 mean anything in standard tournaments. This is just a fact. Yea there are a few people wrecking s*** with low tiers, but who wins ALL the big tournaments in that game?
Magneto, Storm, Sentinel and Cable with a few more like Captain Commando and Psylocke used for assists. At least one of the Elite 4 fall into every team that people use in any standard Marvel Tourney.
Ken, SonSon, and the vast majority of the cast are worthless in the face of the Elite four. Only Justin Wong or Sanford could make characters like that actually work in the high level play, and even then not very well.
The divisions between the tiers in this game are so wide it's ridiculous.
Now if your talking LOW TIER tourneys, then that's something different.

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Reading the thread you're replying in helps.
Being that there is at least one character (Samus) who is on the 'cannot escape' list that is known to be able to escape (The video proves that), it puts much of the conclusions of the thread into question

Top Bottom