• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Decisive Games Introduction Thread (make sure to check the new forum rules as well!)

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
Ahh man the lag is real i'm double posting by accident? **

Last edited:

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
I'm watching Gorf's game and right off the bat some of you are intense chatterboxes! I've never played a game with so much reading before.

But i'm also a little confused with some of the slang, could any of you clarify for me? I'll add more to the list when I get to it but some definitions would really help.

Hydra

Scum

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm watching Gorf's game and right off the bat some of you are intense chatterboxes! I've never played a game with so much reading before.

But i'm also a little confused with some of the slang, could any of you clarify for me? I'll add more to the list when I get to it but some definitions would really help.

Hydra

Scum
Hydra is a term for a user that is actually multiple people playing as one player. Like SOZ in Gorf's game.

Scum is just another term for mafia people

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637

Hydra

Scum
lol, have a look at Marshy's pyp game!

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
YO, I play Town of Salem a lot, so I figure I should be pretty good at Mafia. How do I join a game exactly?

/in mini

Is that how this works?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The primary differences between ToS and forum mafia are the following:

1) No alias: I know this is obvious, but you're playing under the same name and account you'll be playing all of your games in, so any of the hard core trolling stuff will stay with your name.

2) Vanilla Townies: In forum mafia (And most non-ToS forms of mafia), there are standard town roles called "Vanilla Townies" which don't have a special power. The majority of most roles in this game are Vanilla Townies. In ToS, this would be VERY unrealistic, because night actions make the game. However, that's not as much of the case in forum mafia, which brings me to my third point.

3) Day time is WAY longer in forum mafia than it is for ToS. Same with nights. The reasoning behind this is because forum mafia has way more discussion in general. This is why vanilla townies are a thing. The most important part of forum mafia is talking through your thoughts. You learn a lot from discussion that you would never learn through the 2 minute Day-time discussions ToS has. Night time discussion is also a must for the mafia team. The logic isn't as straight forward as it is in ToS because of this. You have to see how people react to the questions you ask, see how people respond to your thoughts, analyze discussions between a group of individuals on top of many other things.

4) Because of the fact that vanilla townies are a thing, having a power role (Cop [Sheriff in ToS], Doctor, etc) makes you very important to town. Don't just out your results willy nilly, because unlike in ToS, you will be a HUGE target for mafia, and they will try to find every way to get you dead as quickly as possible. That is BAD for town. You also don't have a last will, so you really need to hide the fact that you have a power role, because the second you get killed at night, all of the information you gained through your role goes with you.

5) There is no formula for winning in this like there kind of is for ToS. There's also not nearly as much of a luck factor. All of the night actions you have will have some type of thought behind them. "Should I protect this person who lead a majority of the discussion or is that too obvious of a target? I definitely shouldn't protect the guy that hammered one of our townies, because he's going to be pressured tomorrow." Things like that generally go through a player's head when debating on how to use their night action.

6) Roles are different, and you'll see that some roles that are standard in ToS are NEVER seen in forum mafia. Cop [Sheriff in ToS] can't find SK. Jester is NEVER seen on smashboards because it is so easy to win as Jester in forum mafia. Lyncher [Executioner in ToS] isn't easy to win with imo, but it's never seen on smashboards. Variations of Doctors can't protect themselves at all. There are also more roles. Don't assume you know how a role works because it has the same name as the ToS version. Make sure you read your role PM completely, because the differences are there.

I've played a few forum mafia games, and I'm in love with ToS, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Would love to see you in a mini game! (:
These are the major differences told to me when I joined a while back.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
But doesn't a similar argument hold for posting in games as well? So people only really do it to ruin games, right?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you like post in games you're not in or are dead in you risk getting blacklisted.

:059:

Maven89

Smash Master
yeah I wouldn't be happy if someone from outside the game was liking posts, since the person cannot be mafia it's basically a perfect outsider opinion, even though I assume you were talking about liking joke posts

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
yeah I wouldn't be happy if someone from outside the game was liking posts, since the person cannot be mafia it's basically a perfect outsider opinion, even though I assume you were talking about liking joke posts
Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking. It's an extra factor that should not exist in the game.

But yeah, I was thinking about joke posts.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Doesn't matter if it's a joke or not, if you're not in the game you don't interact as long as it'ss ongoing. You can still like posts after the game is over.

:059:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm looking for a replacement for my current game of mafia at the current moment. Please tell me if you're interested.

Top Bottom