• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Decisive Games Introduction Thread (make sure to check the new forum rules as well!)

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
@ #HBC | BadWolf #HBC | BadWolf Lemme think about it! I would love to it's just I wanna see if I want to play this alone or hydra. You should totally play regardless though!

Ayyo J wanna reincarnate Bleck Mang some time?
Sure, it'll probably be more fun this time around whenever we were to do it again haha.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Actually strike that, I think I am going to go solo this game because of July and also because there are already 3 hydras and that is more than enough.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
9.) The use of non-English, invisible, hidden, coded, or otherwise intentionally hidden or indecipherable text is strictly prohibited. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)

ヽ(*・ω・)ノ♪

Masqeurain/soup
9.) The use of non-English, invisible, hidden, coded, or otherwise intentionally hidden or indecipherable text is strictly prohibited. (Spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
★ ~ **** THEPOLICE~ ★

ャダヽ(o`皿′o)ノ

Last edited by a moderator:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd like to run a small private game of mafia-esque game based on the Demon/Dark Souls series sometime in the near future. This is me asking if the current environment is too bogged down for such a game!

It'd be a small group of players (10). There is no Night phase and all actions take place during the Day phase. All available roles are 'open'.

Each player has a certain amount of health and, when attacked (voted, essentially!), their health will go down. You can only attack once per votecount which is variable by design in order to put more emphasis on player action and less emphasis on moving as a group simultaneously and to prevent inactivity from being an issue.

At the end of each phase (not votecount, phase), all players will take 10 damage to their health.

When your health reaches 0, you have died.

When you die your covenant will be shown, and your goal is to make your covenant win by eliminating all of the other covenant.

Of the 10 players, there are 3 covenants with a population of 2, 2, and 8 respectively. The '2' covenants know who they are teamed with and the 8 do not. All covenants have the same win condition. The covenants that know each other would choose their roles together.

Roles you can choose (all roles visible to everyone in the game at game start):

Knight- 100 health, 10 damage per attack

Swordsman
- 80 health, 15 damage per attack

Cleric
- 80 health, 10 damage per attack. Instead of attacking, the Cleric can heal a player for 10 damage by removing 10 of his own health. (Example: Cleric 80 health uses heal on knight at 50 health, Cleric has 70 health and Knight has 60 health at next votecount. You cannot go above max health.)

Hex Sorcerer
- 60 health, 10 damage per attack. Instead of attacking, the Hex Sorcerer can heal himself for 10 damage by removing 10 health from a player of his choice. (Example: Hex Sorcerer 50 health uses Drain on Knight at 50 health, HSorcerer has 60 health at next votecount. You cannot go above max health.)

Deprived
- 60 health, 10 damage per attack. If someone kills a Deprived player by using the final attack, they will lose 10 health.

That's it! Each role has its own unique twists to the game.

This has several main differences from mafia, the biggest of which being that there is no Night phase. This means that Day play and Day play only is used.

The second biggest is that voting is gone, but instead you simply attack someone. Someone makes a bad post? You hit them and punish them immediately for their post by literally putting them closer to death. Useful for attacking scum AND for putting town in line.

Town suddenly is no longer dealing with just flips, but also with health disparity. If you had 50 health and someone else has 100 health, what if that person is scum? They could constantly attack you, dealing damage each votecount and you wouldn't catch up unless they went inactive. This give scum an out to even the odds if they have lost a member or are lower health. It also literally makes "sticking to your guns" more dangerous the longer it goes on.

The above also makes your "vote history" very clear and direct. There's no "fake attacking". You did or you didn't, and it's always shown.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i second gorf

where's the wanderer role OS

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No room for other roles. I can't go into details without giving everyone a playbook on how to play the roles, but the bandit/wanderer/explorer role that emphasizes "range" can't really exist in this context.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
itd be really baller to just **** people up whenever i wanted. like you ever read a post by someone and you wish you could just immediately lynch them in your next post but cant cuz of the whole majority aspect? bein able to attack someone is a nice way of thuggin it out without having to go through others

on the other hand the multiscum **** is iffy for me and id have to know more about how often you can attack

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can attack once per votecount. So if you attack, I post votecount, you can attack again. You don't know when votecounts are necessarily coming, which means there can be none of this "let's wait until the end of the phase" thing because you might miss an attack window you wanted to use.

The multi-scum is there because otherwise it'd be impossible for scum to win, mathematically. Assuming everyone was a knight with 100 health you'd have 10 rounds before game end even with no attack. If town was like "yo, let's just run the timer!" they could prevent scum from winning while still having a possibility to win themselves by simply agreeing "let's all attack this guy until he's dead, then the next guy, then the next guy. When we get down to 5 people if we haven't killed scum then we all just attack anyone who attacks first. We run the clock until there is a draw."

With 4 mafia and 6 town (I said 8 earlier for some reason?) you cannot do this. "Town" has an advantage before first and second death, but have no information. They have information after those deaths but have an advantage over the remaining mafia factions but do NOT have an advantage over mafia as a whole. Any attempt to game the system by timing out with two mafia factions will result in town losing and the more manipulative scum winning.

tl;dr - two scum factions keep the game interesting and the mechanics from breaking down when confronted with people like me

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Correct. There is no "@mod request votecount", just "when's it gonna be". I could post a votecount two times in an hour or two times in a day, or once in two days. You don't know.

The "not knowing" allows players to not sit on their attack all the time nor reliably stall. If Player X just attacks the moment he can, but player Y likes to wait, Player X gets more influence as he will do more damage overall. It's no longer "You require X to lynch".

If Nabe and Gorf are in a game together and Nabe wants Gorf dead, Nabe can kill Gorf. He needs no ones permission. It's like a really slow BIM.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My private wouldn't run until a bit after my wedding and, if I couldn't find a co-mod, it wouldn't run until after I get back from my honeymoon (the week of 21st). I'm inclined to wait anyway because having a co-mod do the votecounts would alter my timing unless I wrote it down specifically and I don't want to write it down :B

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
yo yo
i'm new here and willing to be
/in Ranmaru's No Flavor Mafia

have played Mafia offsite for 3 years
I'd suggest joining a newbie before /inning a queue game in order to get a handle for forum mafia. Not to downsize your experience, but it IS certainly different than mafia offline.

Unless of course by "offsite" you mean "a website that's not this one," in which case consider my foot to be in my mouth.

jakestan

Smash Cadet
I'd suggest joining a newbie before /inning a queue game in order to get a handle for forum mafia. Not to downsize your experience, but it IS certainly different than mafia offline.

Unless of course by "offsite" you mean "a website that's not this one," in which case consider my foot to be in my mouth.
yup have played irl, chat and forum mafia

Top Bottom