• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6, 2014] The Road to TGC 2! Free food/Free venue! (Houston, Texas)

Ducky_

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Long time smasher and loving the new Sm4sh.
Was wondering if this place would have enough room for me and 6 other seasoned smashers. Thanks!

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
So how come customs and Miis are banned now? Is that the new standard, then? Or can it change once it's safe to assume everyone has every move unlocked on their Wii U?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
they're banned cuz community's full of dramatic sensationalists and allan's deciding to go along w/ them for little to no different reason than before other than "unity" / "logistics" lol. the "soft" legal idea he had going was perfect imo (be responsible for your own setup and knowledge on custom moves + bring your own 3ds etc) but idk he totally bailed and these tourneys are gonna be kinda lame now. i still don't know anyone who's against custom moves as long as they are unlocked / you have the means to use them other than xyro himself for arbitrary pandora's box "will possibly create another metaknight" reasoning :< he also thinks the community's too stupid to understand rulesets / read them at all and won't be able to not use a certain move in tournament if said special becomes too broken and eventually has to be banned. kinda funny how he mentions that then you immediately post in question of that exact ruleset lol

sync and i are probably going to start hosting our own custom legal stuff sometime around mid january/early february though. we love them and think they give this game a unique twist on character playstyle. gonna attempt to hold fests and find a venue for monthlies so stay tuned ^^ !!

but.. yeah.. i've been arguing towards pro custom moves for like 20 pages total text and over 5 hours phone/in person. i want them so badly lmao cause i know it'll help the game.. but as it stands, xyro's not budging. he promised custom move side events and possible main events in the future as "testing" but i really don't believe that kinda route on them is the best to go cause it'll be much better to establish them into play while the game's new and all that testing stuff is open for the opportunity

better than nothing for now i guess

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
So how come customs and Miis are banned now? Is that the new standard, then? Or can it change once it's safe to assume everyone has every move unlocked on their Wii U?
I'll tell you why there are banned for right now.

All major regions except Tri-state have them banned. Logistics issue of having all moves unlocked on every wiiu. It just can't happen right now. Give it a few months when people have them all unlocked and we can look at legalizing them. People need to have patience.

Also, now that smash wiiu is out, I'll be updating the official rules with the stage list tonight.

Last edited:

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I do hope they can come back, but honestly I do see it impossible to make them legal 2 weeks from the release. I'm still missing about 80 custom moves on the 3DS and I've logged a crazy amount of time just dedicated to unlocking them. There's no way I could get all of them for the Wii U before Dec. 6th, and not having them could cause some issues.

I imagine that if someone normally plays with a custom move set ended up in a Wii U that happens to not have the ones they use, they could just refuse to play it until they're on one that does. We can't really expect everyone to have the 3DS version so that they could transfer their custom sets... so, yeah.

Hopefully by TGC3 we can say that it's been enough time to have all the moves and we can consider having the moves back :p personally I don't use them, but some of my friends do and had been playing with them since they had been legal... now they're like "welp.. practice down the drain, lol."

Last edited:

Xyro77

Think of customs as like a 2nd character. Always have "plan A" aka a normal character and "plan B" aka your 2nd character that has customs. Train with both.

Thank you for being understanding btw. Us old gens are good like that.

Last edited:

Xyro77

TGC.jpg

The Road to TGC 2 is 12 days away and i have 2 very big updates to give you all.

1. The rules to The Road to TGC 2 have been updated. Stage list has been add. Event times have been change and a food break period has been added. Pikachu+Mr GW are legal in teams. Custom moves/miis/equipment are banned (temporarily). For a full rundown on what rules have changed, please go to the Road to TGC 2 thread and check it out.

2. Two brothers, Illmatic (the best American Peach in Brawl) and Kadin (the best Brawl Metaknight player at his pre-school) are going to do a $150 MM at The Road to TGC 2. Pikachu (illmatic) vs Diddy (kadin), 3/5 and customs legal. The set will be recorded and posted in every corner of the internet. Who do you think will win?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Allan, are the times going to be firm? If this does indeed start at 11:30-12:00, that will help me out in getting most of my matches out the way before I leave for my club gig.

Registration/practice @ 10:00am
Smash 4 1vs1 (WiiU) @ 11:30am

Xyro77

Yeah.

I'm showing up 2 hours early and having 1-2 others sign in people with me. There will be zero food breaks until the assigned time.

That^ along with not doing pokemon should guarantee things run on time.

Last edited:

Xyro77

that has nothing to do with it. I remember that bs mm you pulled with the monopoly money
1 time. the next 2 big MMs i did at whobos ended up happening. plus, this $150MM has nothing to do with me

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I can confirm this wasn't Xyro's idea.

There is actual salt. They can afford it, but the loser will probably quit the game forever.

Xyro77

I can confirm this wasn't Xyro's idea.

There is actual salt. They can afford it, but the loser will probably quit the game forever.
I love illmatic but i seriously think kadin will take this. he has no issues playing cheap and/or going top tier. the devil inside is too real.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I love illmatic but i seriously think kadin will take this. he has no issues playing cheap and/or going top tier. the devil inside is too real.
I guarantee you the winner will rub some salt in this wound every day.

Better make sure there is a player cam when this hits the stream.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
I'm showing up 2 hours early and having 1-2 others sign in people with me. There will be zero food breaks until the assigned time.
Xyro, how early can someone be here to get setups up and running and for friendlies?
10:00am on the dot? I would like to get here earlier before registration.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Should I bring my own GC Controller Adapter or is there going to be plenty there?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I honestly think we need to ban gamecube controllers.

Nintendo doesn't currently have plans to make them readily available to everyone and it can be expensive to buy one second hand as they are all sold out now. What happens when you get to the tournament and a certain setup doesn't have the adapter you need? Are we supposed to just put matches on hold until an adapted setup is ready? This could cause a huge problem for TOs at big events.

Now I'm sure some of you are thinking "if people want to use gamecube controllers, they could just bring an adapter". But all that does is perpetuate a pay-to-win attitude where every competitive player is expect to shell out 100 dollars for an adapter or be left with default controls.

It could also wind up being unfair in the future. As the metagame develops we may have another problem like Metaknight where ONLY gamecube users are winning tournaments (this almost happened in Brawl).

If we allow gamecube adapters, whats to stop players from suddenly wanting ps2 adapters and before you know it we are all playing Smash on DDR mats.

Back when I played REAL smash (melee), we used the controller that came with the system. We didn't whine and cry for some new kind of adapter that might unbalance the game and split the community. We didn't need a different controller to get around matchups. We just dealt with it.

If adapters came with every game from the start and were easy to setup quickly, they might be usable but right now the logistics aren't in our favor.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
I honestly think we need to ban gamecube controllers.

Nintendo doesn't currently have plans to make them readily available to everyone and it can be expensive to buy one second hand as they are all sold out now. What happens when you get to the tournament and a certain setup doesn't have the adapter you need? Are we supposed to just put matches on hold until an adapted setup is ready? This could cause a huge problem for TOs at big events.

Now I'm sure some of you are thinking "if people want to use gamecube controllers, they could just bring an adapter". But all that does is perpetuate a pay-to-win attitude where every competitive player is expect to shell out 100 dollars for an adapter or be left with default controls.

It could also wind up being unfair in the future. As the metagame develops we may have another problem like Metaknight where ONLY gamecube users are winning tournaments (this almost happened in Brawl).

If we allow gamecube adapters, whats to stop players from suddenly wanting ps2 adapters and before you know it we are all playing Smash on DDR mats.

Back when I played REAL smash (melee), we used the controller that came with the system. We didn't whine and cry for some new kind of adapter that might unbalance the game and split the community. We didn't need a different controller to get around matchups. We just dealt with it.

If adapters came with every game from the start and were easy to setup quickly, they might be usable but right now the logistics aren't in our favor.

You say this right after my post so I can only assume some of it must be targeted towards me. I got my adapter with my pre-order of the game. So I am at fault for wanting to use that set-up? It isn't pay to win if someone couldn't buy the adapter. That is lousy planning on those individuals. Also you say"'whats to stop players from suddenly wanting ps2 adapters and before you know it we are all playing Smash on DDR mats.". Well for starters those are not created by Nintendo at all and would be third party adapters making them irrelevant. Now you also are saying people are whining and complaining for gamecube controllers to be used. Well I played Project M with my Wii Classic Controller and gave no cares about a GameCube Controller. I simply want to use it now because it is what I started the game using. Honestly man, If you want to say it would be a bad idea just because it would cause to many issues due to the majority not being able to use it and the majority agree the fine. But there aren't any problems with setting up an adapter. I can start the game up and plugin the adapter and my controller is connected. It gives no issues in terms of making the set up take longer.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You aren't looking at it from a TOs perspective. For you at home it only takes a few seconds to set up custom controllers, but if you add that up for every person on every setup of every round it becomes a nightmare for TOs and the tournament CANNOT run properly.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
You aren't looking at it from a TOs perspective. For you at home it only takes a few seconds to set up custom controllers, but if you add that up for every person on every setup of every round it becomes a nightmare for TOs and the tournament CANNOT run properly.
But even from a TOs Perspective it literally takes as much time to plug a controller into a console. You can't honestly tell me that a 3-5 second action before every set is a nightmare. It takes more time to sync a wiimote to the console. It isn't like a GC controller on a Smash4 is even a unique custom control set considering it is obviously how a lot of people want to play the game.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Even if its quick for YOU to set up because you brought something extra you spent money on, its not readily available to everyone so its fundamentally unfair. Just like how gamepads are banned because not everyone can use them.

Xyro77

Tesh has no idea what he is talking about.

Please bring your GCN controller and adapter. Do not rely on others for your tournament success.

Also, all rule creation begins and ends with me so if you have questions that you want official answers to, tag me or PM me.

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Even if its quick for YOU to set up because you brought something extra you spent money on, its not readily available to everyone so its fundamentally unfair. Just like how gamepads are banned because not everyone can use them.

Its unfair to use the controller released exclusively for the game because people did not pre-order it or get it day one? How about they go buy the Hori Gamepad then that is identical to a gamecube controller if it is such an issue. The controller doesn't give an unfair advantage for anything in the game. I play it on both a classic controller and GC controller and they are identical in terms of potential for the player. The idea that it is unfair to use something completely legitimate because others can not take time out of their day to put a $5 deposit down for an adapter is ludicrous. As of now the rules have no restrictions on GameCube controllers and unless stated otherwise I intend to bring it. If i can't then boo-hoo i'll use a classic controller. Its not like the controller makes the player.

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291

Please bring your GCN controller and adapter. Do not rely on others for your tournament success.

Also, all rule creation begins and ends with me so if you have questions that you want official answers to, tag me or PM me.

Thanks and Will do.

Teshie U

Smash Lord

Are you honestly saying that just because he took the time and money out for an extra accessory, he should be allowed to reap benefits that others might not have available depending on the setup?

Xyro77

It's real simple.

He bought/owns a tournament legal controller. He is allowed to use it.

The end.

Emuser012

Smash Cadet
NNID
Emuser012
Hey Xyro, This is ResumeDPosition if you remember me from many years back, made a new account since I haven't logged into the other one in almost 4 years and I've taken a new persona since then. Shame this is next weekend and not this one or I would have been able to stop by.

I'll send you a message to see what's kicking and who's still around later on, just wanted to stop by and say that it's pretty cool you're still running things and didn't take off like I did because Brawl was so terrible. I miss the old melee days. I'm sure this game won't disappoint as much as Brawl did for me so maybe you'll see me again sometime in the upcoming months.

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
Are you honestly saying that just because he took the time and money out for an extra accessory, he should be allowed to reap benefits that others might not have available depending on the setup?
What benefits? I've used a pro controller, GC controller, wiimote, and classic controller. The only "benefit" is I personally prefer the GC controller. My hands are small and I prefer my buttons to be above the C-Stick. My friend has large hands so he prefers the pro controller, and prefers the C-Stick being above the buttons. The classic controller may be uncomfortable, but to some people that's just fine for them. Same with the wiimote. If there's any minimal benefits such as quicker input, please prove it to me.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
What benefits? I've used a pro controller, GC controller, wiimote, and classic controller. The only "benefit" is I personally prefer the GC controller. My hands are small and I prefer my buttons to be above the C-Stick. My friend has large hands so he prefers the pro controller, and prefers the C-Stick being above the buttons. The classic controller may be uncomfortable, but to some people that's just fine for them. Same with the wiimote. If there's any minimal benefits such as quicker input, please prove it to me.
Lack of wireless interference is a benefit as well as less lag.

The problem is that the adapter won't be available at every setup and thus won't available for all sets. If its not available for all setups then it wont be available for all players at all times and causes a major problem for logistics. You are going to have players coming in and saying "I can't play on this setup it doesn't have XXXX" and it slows the process down alot.

Top Bottom