• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6, 2014] The Road to TGC 2! Free food/Free venue! (Houston, Texas)

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
Lack of wireless interference is a benefit as well as less lag.

The problem is that the adapter won't be available at every setup and thus won't available for all sets. If its not available for all setups then it wont be available for all players at all times and causes a major problem for logistics. You are going to have players coming in and saying "I can't play on this setup it doesn't have XXXX" and it slows the process down alot.
With the adapter there is still input lag. If the wireless interference is actually bad enough than the GC controller should be the only one to use, in your case. No controllers should be banned.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't read up on the adapter talk since it was tesh vs xyro, but bout the adapter thing tho.
Did not have the pleasure of getting the bundle since the first month of being able to preorder they were all out already. 3rd month trying still out of course.

So basically asking will there be at least like 15+ adapters there, that should be enough for the tournament to go at a steady pace. Since tablets banned can't be using those as a controller, and not gonna spend 60 bucks for a wiiu pro controller lol.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
There have been plenty of opportunities to get an adapter. Amazon, Walmart, best buy, Nintendo. All had them before the launch and all had them after the launch (many in Houston get them after smash 4 was out).

Until it is announced that they are not being made, they are still in production. Keep looking.

If you wish to use this tournament legal controller, it is up to you to get one as well as an adapter.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't exactly have the benefit of having a credit card to buy stuff online or driving to places. Otherwise I'd have bought 600 dragon dildos and maybe 70 hookers near McDonalds by now.

I been looking but they all out or the scalpers selling the adapter online anyways for 60-150 bucks, specially amazon right now with the outrageous prices.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Countdown to The Road to TGC 2 begins Now! The Road to TGC 1 had 150 players in attendence setting the USA record so lets see if we can break that record come Dec 6 and make history again at our 2nd preview event. Tickets are flying fast so reserve your tickets on Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-road-to-tgc-2-smash-wiiumario-kart-8-tournaments-tickets-13425880169 before they are all gone and RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/801997049821247 . This event will have FREE venue fee and FREE food sponsored by AirbrushKing.net and TGCApp.net. The games that will be featured at this event will be Smash Bros Wii U & Mario Kart 8. This event will not feature any FGC games or BYOC section because of space limitations but will be featured at TGC 1 and the future of TGC events. Looking forward to seeing who will become champions and will see you all soon!

Last edited:

Denti

Smash Master
I'm telling you this now just in case you didn't consider it but... either GaW or oil panic should be banned in 4 vs 4. But it's whatever if you don't want to change it. I'm just letting you know before the event is potentially poisoned.

3 GaWs and a bucket filler is not even fun or really fair. Not sure how I feel about Ness' heal either, but that takes time to properly abuse so it's not that bad.

Edit: If you haven't played a 4 v 4 yet in tournament it gets really stationary so these strategies become abusively viable. That's only why I'm expressing my concern.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I'll def keep that in mind, thank you. I forgot 4v4 opens up a whole new batch of stupid Stuff.

yoshidino

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radonflux
3DS FC
1977-0655-8862
I'm going to bring my setup and maybe a capture card, the only thing I don't have is the GCN adapter.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm telling you this now just in case you didn't consider it but... either GaW or oil panic should be banned in 4 vs 4. But it's whatever if you don't want to change it. I'm just letting you know before the event is potentially poisoned.

3 GaWs and a bucket filler is not even fun or really fair. Not sure how I feel about Ness' heal either, but that takes time to properly abuse so it's not that bad.

Edit: If you haven't played a 4 v 4 yet in tournament it gets really stationary so these strategies become abusively viable. That's only why I'm expressing my concern.
Assuming you mean like 1 pikachu and 3 gnw, how exactly are 4 people just watching someone thunder multiple times to fill the bucket?

with 4v4, it seems like the strongest strategy is going to be repeatedly "going for the jugular". Spamming Luigi's up B, Ness PKT2, Bowser Bomb etc. will go lightly punished with so much chaos.

I can't imagine what else people would expect from 4v4. The community has enough people that think doubles is too chaotic and adding more people just makes it more chaotic.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
4v4 will be silly. I only hope this will be treated as a side event, aka not until GF is left for all events. Having to use up to 2 GCN controller adapters for one station is a pain.

As far as legal controllers, besides banning tablet, everything wireless could and probably will have lag. If your wireless controllers messes up, then you have to deal with the consequences. I just know someone will whine and all you can say is "WELP."

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
4v4 will be silly. I only hope this will be treated as a side event, aka not until GF is left for all events. Having to use up to 2 GCN controller adapters for one station is a pain.

As far as legal controllers, besides banning tablet, everything wireless could and probably will have lag. If your wireless controllers messes up, then you have to deal with the consequences. I just know someone will whine and all you can say is "WELP."
It's not that bad when you realize that there wont be any more than 8 teams for 4v4 events in small regional level tournaments.
4v4 is incredibly interesting, and Tesh has no idea what he's talking about. :applejack:

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed. I'm looking forward to be putting names to faces for a lot of y'all and getting in some fun tourney sets.

Denti

Smash Master
Looking for a teammate since the carpool with my partner bailed after looking at the stage list.. : /

I play Diddy/Sheik

Last edited:

Xyro77

I think gnes or Zori maybe be open. Megafox too?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Exactly how will 4 vs 4 work? Can someone explain.
If there is enough set-ups/time I will do 4 vs 4.

Basically, 8 people sit around a TV and pick a team. It's like doubles (2vs2) but now add 2 more to each team.

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
So what was the thought process on making Wii fitt/Coliseum legal? I understand it's an optimal counterpick for little mac players, but still, it's a walk-off. Also, there's a pretty big hazard in Halberd.

Xyro77

So what was the thought process on making Wii fitt/Coliseum legal? I understand it's an optimal counterpick for little mac players, but still, it's a walk-off. Also, there's a pretty big hazard in Halberd.
Hazards are a normal part of the smash series. Every game has had them. Some were worse than others.

Walk offs were banned in Melee because a fox Could waveshine everybody into the blast zone for free. In brawl, chain grabs (mostly DDD) into blast zone was broken so we banned walk offs. In smash 4 we have neither so there is no reason to ban them. Also, the walk offs I've included have platforms.

Last edited:

Xyro77

TGC.jpg

In 2 days The Road to TGC 2 is happening in Houston, TX. Here are some final bits of information you need to know before attending this event.

1. I am in great need of full set-ups. WiiU/Smash 4 or Mario Kart 8/TV. If you bring a full set-up, i will compensate you at the next TGC with half off venue fee or a drink coupon or something. Remember, if you want plenty of practice before/between matches, we need full set-ups. There is no other way.

2. Obeying the time slots are a MUST. I will make no exceptions this time around because i want this event to start/end on time.

Xyro arrives to set-up @ 9:00am
Registration/Practice @ 10:00am
Smash 4 1vs1 (WiiU) @ 11:30am
Smash 4 2vs2 (WiiU) @ 2:00pm
Food break @ 4:00pm (your only chance to eat without being DQed)
Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) @ 5:00pm
Leave the venue @ midnite

3. Be sure and read/be familiar with the rules to this event. Many things are different than they were at TGC 2. The more educated you are on the rules the better prepared you will be on the day of the event. The rules can be found on the tournament discussion page.

4. The weather will be in the low to mid 70s on Saturday but please bring a jacket just in case. We wouldn't want people johning about being too cold, would we?

5. Though not mandatory, it would help me out a ton if you all bring $5 and $1 bills when paying/registering for events. It speeds up registration and makes paying out players easier. Again, just a recommendation.

6. Like last time, the free food is limited to first come first served. So the earlier you get here and the earlier you get in line, the more "guaranteed" you will be to get food.

7. If you need housing before or after TGC, please contact @Sync. and or @Leaf. they will help you.

8. Finally, due to be being extremely busy today and tomorrow, i have already created the results thread for TGC 2. Please go here to further discuss this event, make predictions and check on bracket updates/results...etc. It can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-road-to-tgc-2-results-on-12-6-2014.381295/

RageToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
RageToast
3DS FC
5258-0053-8259
Hazards are a normal part of the smash series. Every game has had them. Some were worse than others.

Walk offs were banned in Melee because a fox Could waveshine everybody into the blast zone for free. In brawl, chain grabs (mostly DDD) into blast zone was broken so we banned walk offs. In smash 4 we have neither so there is no reason to ban them. Also, the walk offs I've included have platforms.
Alright, thanks for the insight. I always thought it was just easy to get a throw off the stage and that's why walk-offs were banned. Also, while I'm bringing a full set-up, I've only seen a few other people mention it in this thread. I know you've posted it here/facebook but since most of the participants have RSVP'd on the Facebook page, it might be a good idea to post a reminder that full setups are highly encouraged, and perhaps pin it until the tournament. I'm sure it will at least go close to smoothly though.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I'll be bringing a full setup but my extra tv is small. If anyone just wants to bring a bigger T.V that would be great.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 Just wanted to pop in here and say how happy I am to see your stagelist for Smash Wii U. I've been doing a lot of tournament hosting through /r/smashbros and looking around it's like people want to ban every stage in existence these days. I'm happy to see you run a good open list.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
I'm starting to get nervous a little bit, how much do we get to watch our setups when we're there? What happens if we need to play on a setup far from our own? I've never been to a smash tournament before but I've been to a LOT of LANs where random little **** got stolen. and I'd cry if someone jacked my adapter or something. What's it like for those of you that are also bringing full setups?

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
Mac will be awful on Studio if you just platform camp him.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Well the platforms go away now and then to give him a better shot at catching people.

Xyro77

I'm starting to get nervous a little bit, how much do we get to watch our setups when we're there? What happens if we need to play on a setup far from our own? I've never been to a smash tournament before but I've been to a LOT of LANs where random little **** got stolen. and I'd cry if someone jacked my adapter or something. What's it like for those of you that are also bringing full setups?
There is a 99% chance your TV/wiiu is safe. Just look at it every once in a while. I've been doing this for 10 years and have had nothing stolen.

As for adapters and controllers, keep them on you at all times.

Top Bottom