• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of a New Day: Vectoring (Mostly) Removed in Patch 1.0.4

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I was testing the best DI angle to survive Ness's back throw (turns out it's completely horizontal, either left or right) and it seems to me that if I dual-stick DI I end up dying every single time at percentages I can survive at by just holding left. Has this been noticed by anyone else?

Raijinken

Smash Master
We need some solid results. Cuz I watch Ninjalink's video which says "Vectoring, but no vertical influence", and then I come here and we're back to "DI as normal" and "Vectoring as normal" and stuff.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
We need some solid results. Cuz I watch Ninjalink's video which says "Vectoring, but no vertical influence", and then I come here and we're back to "DI as normal" and "Vectoring as normal" and stuff.
Both are correct. It seems to be vectoring with no vertical influence, but the inputs that were called good DI in the past are just the best now, too.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
It's such a shame that I read through pages of this thread and there's no clear, concise, definitive answer about vectoring and/or DI.

As far as I can tell, if I'm hit up, I'm supposed to hold left/right. (the implication being that DI is a more significant factor than vectoring when it comes to vertical hits)

What confuses me is... If I'm hit left, am I supposed to hold diagonally to the up-right. If I'm hit right, am I supposed to hold diagonally to the up-left. (this means DI is the bigger influence)

OR am I supposed to aim directly back at the stage? So if I get hit to the up-left, I'm supposed to hold down-right... and if I get hit to the up-right, I'm supposed to hold down-left. (this would mean vectoring is the bigger influence)

Which is it? I am so confused.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
As far as I know you hold left or right to survive. If your character has poor recovery you should consider holding up and toward the stage to get extra height when hit horizontally. use up and or away to escape combos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know you hold left or right to survive. If your character has poor recovery you should consider holding up and toward the stage to get extra height when hit horizontally. use up and or away to escape combos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So if I'm hit towards the left edge of the stage with a Smash attack that sends me flying at a 45 degree angle, am I supposed to hold the joystick right-up (DI), right-down (vectoring), or just directly to the right?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So if I'm hit towards the left edge of the stage with a Smash attack that sends me flying at a 45 degree angle, am I supposed to hold the joystick right-up (DI), right-down (vectoring), or just directly to the right?
DI (right+up) works best for me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This change has had a huge effect on my Charizard play. Now I can actually be the killing machine I am supposed to be instead of killing at 150% with a Flare Blitz.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
DI (right+up) works best for me.
Thanks. I'll go with this until proven otherwise.

Also, a general question about DI (I kind of missed the boat on competitive Smash for Melee and Brawl). During which period of time can I actually influence my trajectory? Is it only while I'm in the middle of a hit? (That is to say, if Ike hits me with a forward smash, can I only influence my direction while his sword is touching me? Is there even a point to trying to DI after the attack has already finished connecting?)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks. I'll go with this until proven otherwise.

Also, a general question about DI (I kind of missed the boat on competitive Smash for Melee and Brawl). During which period of time can I actually influence my trajectory? Is it only while I'm in the middle of a hit? (That is to say, if Ike hits me with a forward smash, can I only influence my direction while his sword is touching me? Is there even a point to trying to DI after the attack has already finished connecting?)
Your DI is input at the last frame of hitlag (the time where you are frozen before being launched, look at Falcon knee for a good example). Anything after that doesn't affect DI in any way.

Last edited:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Your DI is input at the last frame of hitlag (the time where you are frozen before being launched, look at Falcon knee for a good example). Anything after that doesn't affect DI in any way.
Thanks. So... obviously it depends a lot on the attack, but in general how many frames does a player actually have to respond to being hit by an attack and inputting the correct DI? ... This seems like it's going to take me a heck of a lot of practice to get used to.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thanks. So... obviously it depends a lot on the attack, but in general how many frames does a player actually have to respond to being hit by an attack and inputting the correct DI? ... This seems like it's going to take me a heck of a lot of practice to get used to.
Sorry for the late reply. You don't have much time to do this. Mostly a few frames.
It took me a long time to get it down but now it's completely automatic and I don't need to think about it anymore.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
So there's no horizontal Vectoring? Holding in the direction of the stage is "no DI" ?
I still have the impression that holding left when sended right, in many scenarios, works good/great.
I DI (stage+up) in most situations but if the move is angled i simply hold the stage direction.

I main Sheik so recovery is not a major problem anyway, but survive dat 5%'s more, is everything I want.
Please change the OP for the best horizontal and 45º knockback option too.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, what's the most horizontal knocking move in the game? I'm going to try to test some of this tonight and see if we can get a conclusive answer on this.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Holding down seems to give me the least amount of KB on horizontal hits.
When I get to higher percents I start DI'ing up towards the corner. Also it seems like jumping can help stop your momentum. My secondary is bowser, and using this technique (DI up and mash jump) seems to keep me in far longer than any other DI.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
We've tested DI with Sonic's Back Throw in Training Mode. The strongest effect was holding the opposite direction of being thrown. Horizontal vectoring still exists.

I imagine if a horizontal hit had more of a vertical lift then holding down would be better, since holding up actually increases your knockback.

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
I was testing this earlier, it seemed holding up only increased your KB when hit vertically? I was just using Mario Fsmash. Where it would kill me with no DI, I would live by di'ing up. And at higher percents when I'd die while di'ing up, I'd live by di'ing up and mashing jump.

Muro

Smash Lord
Okay, what's the most horizontal knocking move in the game? I'm going to try to test some of this tonight and see if we can get a conclusive answer on this.
There are a lot of them. Falcon down tilt, zelda down smash, fox back air, etc etc.

Top Bottom