• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash dancing is possible. Video proof.

twdfx

Smash Cadet
A guy on the forums posted some videos.

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/75

Watch Match 2 - Falcon(LeeHarris) vs Wolf(Tony).

0:49 - Dashdance, trip
0:58 - Dashdance, no trip (about 5 back and forths)
1:02 - Dashdance, 3 changes in direction, then trip
1:38 - Dashdance, 3 changes in direction, no trip
1:42 - Dashdance, 10+ changes in direction, no trip
1:51 - Dashdance, no trip

Conclusion: Dash dancing is possible - at least with captain falcon - but requires a specific timing, otherwise you trip.

twdfx

Smash Cadet
Instead of telling me what you can and can't do, why don't you watch what is being done?

http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/75

Click. Match 2.

0:49 - Dashdance, trip
0:58 - Dashdance, no trip (about 5 back and forths)
1:02 - Dashdance, 3 changes in direction, then trip
1:38 - Dashdance, 3 changes in direction, no trip
1:42 - Dashdance, 10+ changes in direction, no trip
1:51 - Dashdance, no trip

Conclusion: Dashdancing is possible, at least with captain falcon, but requires a specific timing, otherwise you trip.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
You can't dash dance because you trip if you try to.
...Thats if you time it wrong...>_>;;
You tumble if you do it wrong yet your ok otherwise...

DD still can be done...but it need greater control then melee ever did.

Thanks for the Vid's OP though! =D

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
How do you KNOW it's timing, though? For all we know at this point, tripping could just be random.

twdfx

Smash Cadet
I do not think it is random because smash bros isn't the kind of game to have gameplay mechanics play out with random unpredictable elements. Random things in melee such as luigi's misfire are at a known rate and still act predictably because of this.

I honestly don't think they would implement random tripping. Yeah, it's possible, but I think it's more likely to be an issue of having proper timing than it is to be completely random.

We need someone to test it in slow motion in training mode to figure out if they can dash dance consistently as long as they feel like it without tripping. As well, they would need to try to change the timing and see if that causes trips.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
If tripping is random, then that would be the biggest let down for me. Yes, even bigger than all the delays put together.

Because i would have waited years, for a fighting game with a factor involved in its gameplay involving my character randomly falling over so that my opponent could get a free hit in. That would be a ******** annoyance that i wouldn't ever be able to accept. I'd cringe every single time it happened.

Call me out for complaining if you guys want, but i don't care. I wanted to play this game competitivley, and if trippings in randomly with no way to control it, thats just going to add on to the distaste from the withdrawl of wavedashing and L canceling etc. And hell, i could even put up with no wavedashing and L canceling even though i did it all the time in melee. I mean, this is a whole different game and i'm sure i could adjust to its new ways and still find a way to have fun competitivly and casually.

But tripping randomly would just be an unpredictable slap to the face.

These vids give me hope, thank you for showing us this.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I could care less whether or not Dash dancing is in...
I only ever used it for mind games.
More time should be spent finding a reliable lag cancel.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
But it's still been made more ********. Which means one of the relative replacements for the wavedash is now an afterthought as well. Wow, this game's depth is really going to suffer...

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
omg thats really fast...

And NO Dash Dance is one of the most important moves in Smash only Competetive GOOD Smashers would understand why...
Thats why kamekazu is talkin ****.

And those matches are nice too
FALCONS KNEEIS STILL THEERE CELEBRATE!!!

JFox

Smash Hero
I tried out DD with Diddy, and I can do it as long as I want. I haven't tried it with other characters, but with diddy all you have to do is keep the DD REALLY tight. (In other words really fast back and forth. Similar to sheik's DD in melee, but faster)

The dash animation in general seems fast as hell.

Oh and while messing around with it, I found that you can instantly cancel the dash with a foward smash (i couldn't get it with Dsmash)

This means you can DD to chase, and than use a foward smash to punish. (Note: Its a cancel WITHOUT crouch cancelling the dash animation, similar to a DD usmash in melee)

Also important, I can't figure out why a player does the trip. I know it has to do with messing up te DD, but I couldn't purposefully trip. Sometimes when I would mess up my DD, it would be just like melee where the person can't turn around simply because they are already in their running animation (not dashing), and other times it would trip.

GBcrazy

Smash Rookie
There are two types of dash: the initial dash and the running dash

If you are running and try to do a back dash, then you will trip
But you CAN do a back dash out of a initial dash, so you can do a dash dance

Adi

Smash Lord
Hmm interesting, the fast timing limits it's versatility but there still are plenty of uses for it.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
But it's still been made more ********. Which means one of the relative replacements for the wavedash is now an afterthought as well. Wow, this game's depth is really going to suffer...
Have you seen the vid/thread for the Fox Trot Cancel? ya... it looks like it works quite well and seems like the best way to pace/space in Brawl thus far. WD is out but its seems 'Fox Trotting' (it works differently then in Melee, read the thread) will be the next step.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140723

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
If anything tripping makes dashdancing harder. So much for "dumbing the game down for casuals".

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

I was the recorder and player in those videos. You CAN dash dance, but you have to wiggle the stick back and forth at ridiculous speeds. Honestly, after nearly 30 hours of solid playing we still can't figure out what exactly causes tripping. It usually happens when I pivot several times in a row or try to dash dance.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Top Bottom