• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Dancing...

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
So, I was online a few hours ago clicking around... and I some guy was saying that he saw a guy spin dashing dancing.. but couldn't figure out how. (Considering his specials don't give you the ability to go back and forth quickly for an extended amount of time.)

So, I was just goofin' around with Sonic on FD. I think I may have figured out what the guy was seeing.

With Sonic, whenever you dash and stop he skids to a stop. During the first half of the skid, if you attack, you'll do your dash attack. So what I was doing was....

ID -> crouch -> A

From this, it appeared as though Sonic went straight from standing to a dash attack. So, you could just do the same thing in the other direction, and it'll appear as though you were Spin Dash Dancing.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Are you sure this individual wasn't just stupid and not realizing what the down A smash was?
I realize you'd have to be pretty stupid to not realize that but... hey, it's the internet.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I have talked to the person and its not the D Smash. It lasted around ten seconds each time and he was going back and forth in tight back and forth motion but he was steadily moving to the left, just like if you were to dash dance with a spin dash. Said person is now ready with a 2GB SD card incase it happens again. When he got hit by it it had the usual spin dash knockback.

The reason I know so much about it is because if we figure out how to do this, its potentially HUGE.

Boxob

Smash Champion
You mean just starting the initial dash, almost coming to a complete stop, then dash attacking? Cause I do that all the time D:

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Or send to me, to record, or any crap like that. Could be pretty cool, I guess. I'm starting to think WiFi is kinda buggy, though, since I do believe I did the fair reflect on WiFi. Dunno, though.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
That was me that put that up. I've been trying to figure it out-- you can follow the thread here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156397

The last post I made, I found out something close to a breakthrough with how its done. It isn't exactly what I saw, but its getting close. So, I imagine that with a little tweaking it'll be close.

It's slow, not quite the effect I want, but I'm sure someone can get this to work. I'm also having problems getting the whole .bin conversion... but thats a tale for another post.

Here are the steps I got going... it's ALOT more complex than a dash dance.

1. Charge the main dash (down B) ONCE (This is key, the initial acceleration cannot be too great or you'll get too much "pop")

2. Release, and in the frame where sonic's spin starts skewing from a circle to whichever direction you choose, immediately tap A, hold down and angle in the opposing direction...

3. ...Aerial dodge, and use sonic's SIDE B in the first opposing direction. This all has to be done VERY quickly, in the first rising frames. Sonic's aerial dodge should be done practically milliseconds after leaving the ground with his rising headbutt.

4. Things begin to get tricky here. Before sonic hits the ground, again, hit the opposing direction to make sonic turn. WHEN sonic hits the ground, immediately tap the shield button to create a gliding motion backwards. You'll have normal control of sonic while still in the curled animation. Your timing here has to be perfect, otherwise you'll lose your momentum.

If you cannot do a reverse aerial rush, you cannot proceed from this point.

5. While still in the curled animation, down B and charge that B as quickly as you can to get maximum power. You need to play around with it to see how much you can get-- there will be no visual cue other than the normal dust kicked back from an already successful roll. You have to feel it out and watch how quickly sonic's spikes spin-- not even the noise is pulled.

6. Release the spin dash (you should be facing the initial start direction), hold the opposing direction, pop A again, and go through the reverse aerial rush motion, but hold down instead of up:

opposing direction, (pop A) point towards your target and hold down

7. Aerial dodge again, and in the middle of the dodge (where sonic's head starts flipping towards the ground) charge your spin dash again QUICKLY and release in the air. This puts you back at step 5, but instead of being on the ground, your charge begins in the air.

Repeat as many times as necessary. You will "glide" in the direction your initial thrust pushes you towards.

This is VERY tricky, it might just be more trouble than it's worth other than the fact that with each successive boost, you gain speed and you still inflict damage.

While this technique is not quite what I witnessed online, I can imagine with a little refinement it can be. If you pull all these steps off quickly, without waiting for the peaks of any jumps or animations, the spins can be executed at near ground level, giving the illusion of gliding across the ground.

Again, I'm stressing this is NOT what I witnessed-- I won't stop till I get that. But I figured you might benifit from this in the meantime.

*edit*

For a visual reference, imagine sonic doing little "loop the loops" on the ground. Thats pretty much the effect this replicates, but with a very squashed "loop".
Also, I'm getting an SD card to save the replay in the future as well as my training attempts at replicating it, then convert it to an AVI file. I don't have a camcorder, so this is my only option-- some guy on youtube claims it can be done. That's something I don't know the validity of.

For those of you doubting the validity of the trial: this is the video I based my preliminary tests on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06hXSDhsl-M&NR=1 (sonic reverse spin)

Also, I used the reverse aerial rush (DI) concept to help me out here.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
So, I was online a few hours ago clicking around... and I some guy was saying that he saw a guy spin dashing dancing.. but couldn't figure out how. (Considering his specials don't give you the ability to go back and forth quickly for an extended amount of time.)

So, I was just goofin' around with Sonic on FD. I think I may have figured out what the guy was seeing.

With Sonic, whenever you dash and stop he skids to a stop. During the first half of the skid, if you attack, you'll do your dash attack. So what I was doing was....

ID -> crouch -> A

From this, it appeared as though Sonic went straight from standing to a dash attack. So, you could just do the same thing in the other direction, and it'll appear as though you were Spin Dash Dancing.
That's pretty clever-- but something I took into consideration as well. Although I didn't do your method, I tested the difference between spin attack knockback and dash attack knockback; there is a distinct difference, and I'm absolutely sure it was a spin knockback.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
just cant see anyone going through all that on accident and discovering how to spin dash dance.

its got to be wayy more simple than that, if it is real.

lol i feel like im talking about yetti.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
lol... yeah I was thinking the same thing. Although, I am describing it with alot of detail, it's not really as hard as it sounds when you get the timing down. Its just a constant circular motion with the directional, but with a downward preferance, and switching between z and b.

I agree completely though: it has to be ALOT easier. But this is the closest effect I've seen yet, just not as tight turning.

Umby

Smash Master
Kinda confusing. You say that you charge a Spin Dash, release, and tap Z afterwards. That would just cause you to jump, preventing the next step from happening, unless you want us to land first.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Charge the spin dash (down b), release and in the opening frames of the GROUNDED spin dash tap Z-- promptly cancels the spin effect but maintains forward momentum if you cancel late enough.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Thats exclusively my shield. I use the standard Nunchuck/Wiimote setup.

The only difference is that I have shake set to smash, but that never comes into play.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Lol sorry about that-- again, transitioning from GC to Wii, these things don't go noted first time around.

Updated the thread to reflect the controller setup.

The findings (SNBDD) and (SWBDD) are at the top of the thread, no need to search through it.

Top Bottom