• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Magikoopa ~Kamek~ Deconfirmed....

Do you want Kamek in SSB4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I thought that he meant gameplay-wise at first but then I thought about it more. With Toad, I kind of like pretending that blue Toad is the Toad... it's definitely a pity that they didn't start differentiating the characters more from the very beginning.

Kamek could have:
Robe with designs on it
Robe with differently colored trim
Different wand
Different glasses
Different skin tone/texture, I suppose

And probably some other things. Problem is, Smash Bros. is more of a place to celebrate Nintendo's lore, not create it.

Notably, though, Kamek does have one thing that immediately differentiates him from the magikoopas... as far as I know, they never ride a broom.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
They do. In both Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series.
... Hm. In that case, I have now revised my statement to "In the core line of Mario platformer games Kamek uniquely has a broomstick!"

Yet, somehow my statement seems a lot weaker now. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
as far as I know, they never ride a broom.
I actually thought about that too, I guess that's the distinguishing feature we are looking for.

recently he's always been using the broom. maybe he should
They do. In both Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi series.
actually I think the only magikoopa who rides the broom IS Kamek. well, at least in the Mario & Luigi games

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Clearly not the case in Paper Mario. And I think in Dream Team Kamek actually summons a group of Magikoopas (that look identical to him) riding on brooms at one point.
Ah, dream team, the only one I haven't played due to not owning a 3DS. Oh well.

So yeah, having a robe with a faint design and a trim might be good for kamek.

.......still think he should ride his broom

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Interestingly, I've learned just now that Kamek's name in the Japanese version of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is "Kamezādo", meaning Turtle Wizard. Kamezado's a pretty cool sounding word.

Also, the first time Kamek was a playable character was Mario Party 9.

Also:
"In the past, however, there have been a few attempts to make Kamek look distinct from others of his kind. The first of these was introduced in his debut appearance. His blue hat has a white brim, while regular Magikoopas' hat brims were blue. White trim is also on the end of his robes' sleeves. In Super Princess Peach, besides the more obvious increase in size, he had a complete change of wardrobe at first; instead having cyan robes covered by a purple cloak and changing his round glasses for a more triangular shaped pair. In addition his scepter was longer and had a green jewel as opposed to red. After receiving enough damage in the battle with Peach, his colors return to his classic set."

(though it's up to debate as to whether or not the Super Princess Peach Kamek is our Kamek)

I'm learnin' all sorts of good, useful stuff.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Kamek

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You should have informed me. But I'm surprised that I hadn't noticed it yet. So anyways, I changed it to "Do you want Kamek in SSB4?"
Oh, thanks! I didn't think it was big enough of a deal to notify anyone, but thanks! I really appreciate it!

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Kamek is my top pick as a New Challenger. I think he would be a perfect Yoshi Island representative and is an iconic villain, more so than other Mario villains.

Unfortunately, his chances are low due to the amount of new series that could be represented using the same character slot. It bothers me that we have five blue haired Fire Emblem lords, Ness without his hat on and cartoon Link, but not someone with a charming personality and a lot of fun potential like Kamek

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Eh, I'd entertain the idea of a Yoshi newcomer a little more if the Yoshi series wasn't just the obligatory "Baby Versions of the Main Cast" episode of any given cartoon, of Mario. The Yoshi series has almost nothing to differentiate itself from the actual Mario series besides the fact that it takes place in the past. Beyond that, there are very few games, all of which, besides Yoshi's Island and Story, are barely blips on the radar that is Nintendo's library. It seems silly to me that Yoshi represents his own series at all, and I believe that he does so simply to give Mario more room for characters.

That said, I don't find Kamek too interesting or unique as an individual character, either. He literally looks no different from your average Magikoopa, and is really only brought up when Bowser Jr. is too busy being playable or doing more important things. If we were to get a "Bowser's Right-Hand Man" character, it would definitely be Jr. before Kamek. He has next-to-no personality beyond the cliched "I'm evil and better than you" trope, nor does he display much ability over a standard Magikoopa besides being a somewhat higher-level mage.

If the Yoshi series were to get a newcomer, though, I could see it being Kamek, but I don't think Yoshi will get a newcomer until we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for characters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Do you guys think kamek will make an appearance in yarn yoshi? I think he probably will.

on the subject of appearances, I wonder if kamek is going to be the final boss of yoshi's new island. you know, instead of standing at the sidelines.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'd think he would appear in Yarn Yoshi. But, of course, he might not. Only time will tell.
well, if memory serves, he didn't appear in Yoshi's Story, which yarn Yoshi may or may not take inspiration from. it's too early to tell.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Do you guys think kamek will make an appearance in yarn yoshi? I think he probably will.

on the subject of appearances, I wonder if kamek is going to be the final boss of yoshi's new island. you know, instead of standing at the sidelines.
I hope he does at the very least. And him being the final boss would be really cool. I'd love to beat up the guy who's been causing all the trouble for me, you know?

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
You know, I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but I think Kamek would be wonderful as a stance-change type character.
His two stances would be Broom and No-Broom, the main difference being the mode of transportation.
Standards, movement speed, and jumps could be some things that are changed, like Broom Kamek has the ability to "hover", like Peach or P:M Mewtwo.
I haven't thought of it that much, just something I thought up of while fighting Kamek in Dream Team.
Also, it'd be funny if he had an alternate costume of him wearing Peach's dress.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I do think Kamek's chances are kind underrated. I mean, he's the main antagonist of a major Nintendo franchise who's also got great move set potential. I at least think he's got a decent chance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I do think Kamek's chances are kind underrated. I mean, he's the main antagonist of a major Nintendo franchise who's also got great move set potential. I at least think he's got a decent chance.
I think he has an above terrible chance, but I wouldn't give him more than a 15% chance.

fill

20EggsEggs
I think he has an above terrible chance, but I wouldn't give him more than a 15% chance.
but we havent had a added another yoshi rep yet, who would be your choices...there's the baby versions of other mario reps, someone mentioned the stork in another thread. I feel like him being the bad guy in yoshi would give him a higher %

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
But can we really call Kamek the main antagonist of the Yoshi series when he is the main villain of only 2 of those games :
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi Touch & Go

Bowser is the main antagonist in :
Tetris Attack
Yoshi's Safari
Yoshi Topsy Turvy
Yoshi's Island DS

If we go by numbers, Bowser is the Main antagonist of the Yoshi series and he is already playable, even if it's as a Mario character =/

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
but we havent had a added another yoshi rep yet, who would be your choices...there's the baby versions of other mario reps, someone mentioned the stork in another thread. I feel like him being the bad guy in yoshi would give him a higher %
The thing about Yoshi reps is that none of them are terribly necessary. Kamek is the most deserving one, though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
But can we really call Kamek the main antagonist of the Yoshi series when he is the main villain of only 2 of those games :
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi Touch & Go

Bowser is the main antagonist in :
Tetris Attack
Yoshi's Safari
Yoshi Topsy Turvy
Yoshi's Island DS

If we go by numbers, Bowser is the Main antagonist of the Yoshi series and he is already playable, even if it's as a Mario character =/
Memory serves, kamek was still a big part of Yoshi's island DS.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Memory serves, kamek was still a big part of Yoshi's island DS.
He was the secondary antagonist of the game while Bowser was the main antagonist and Baby Bowser was an ally.

Every antagonist of the Yoshi series were important in this game, which is great, I hope that all three will appear in Yoshi new Island DS and Yarn Yoshi.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He was the secondary antagonist of the game while Bowser was the main antagonist and Baby Bowser was an ally.

Every antagonist of the Yoshi series were important in this game, which is great, I hope that all three will appear in Yoshi new Island DS and Yarn Yoshi.
Kamek's already confirmed to appear in New Island.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

for Yoshi's new island, it seems Kamek is the big main antagonist. I'm not even sure if Baby Bowser is going to be in the new one. the characters so far that we know of is

Yoshi (duh)
Kamek
Stork
Baby Mario
Shy guy
Poochy

and I'm not sure about baby bowser (or regular bowser in that matter)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
apparently Kamek has a lot more significance in Yoshi's new island. in that you actually fight HIM, multiple times.

see this for what I mean:

EDIT: also the kamek boss fight music sounds a lot like the Dr. Mario theme.

and since Dr. Mario was added half from his music this could be big news!

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So Kamek does have a more significant role in Yoshi's New Island, huh? That's great to hear. I really do hope he's at least an AT or stage cameo/hazard if not playable.

I don't think I've expressed my liking towards Kamek here before. I found something that I wrote sometime ago lol:
But seriously, I'd love to see Kamek, one of my fave villains. I love Magikoopas in general, ever since Super Mario World. I was kinda disappointed when I learned that a Magikoopa/Kamek was in the beta footage of Mario Kart 64, but got cut... Doesn't really matter as I'm cool with DK and I still love Mario Kart 64.

Every Mario Kart game, I always hope for Kamek to be playable... :( Still hoping he'll get in this time!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
apparently Kamek has a lot more significance in Yoshi's new island. in that you actually fight HIM, multiple times.

see this for what I mean:

EDIT: also the kamek boss fight music sounds a lot like the Dr. Mario theme.

and since Dr. Mario was added half from his music this could be big news!
I might start including him as a dark horse candidate in my rosters again.

Also, so many things to pull almost directly from there for a moveset. My creative urges might just bring me to make a moveset for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom