• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
A lot of people like Melee better than Brawl. There's a singles Brawl tournament sunday for your pleasure.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
ok first id like to say that i like melee beter than brawl simply because peach was way better on melee even without the overpowered d-smash. GoD playing melee makes me hate Bralw peach Sooooooooooooooo Much.
Anywayz; good job telling me/idfections ahead of time RoK, on thursday for cvc smashfest. neither of us went and you basicly just wasted gas money.

On another topic META-****ing-knight is hella good. Are there any real counters to this extreame beast? I keep hopeing for some miricle chaaracter to put MK in his place but it seems like it wont happen. Speed wins Matches and using a character slower than MK seems pointless. I would use him if: A) He wasnt so good. B) He reminded me of Marth in Melee; every ****ing body was good with him. C) He's not peach.

OH and slacker, your Chain-throws are hella Kick-***! dont fell guilty for ****** some random noob with you supieror kickass-ery. Much luv to IC.

On yet another note: I cant get over how much i love princess PEACH. Melee made me love her and brawl makes me hate her. A new glitch makes me want to come back to her but it would completely change the way i play her; not to metion it would take forever to master my new controll set-up.

I also have love for DK.

and Zelda/shiek........

and olimar......

IDK who to main anymore....

I love playing characters that i used to play as in my childhood (peach in Super Mario Bros. 2, Donkey Kong Country 1-3) but i also like to WIN. WHO SHOULD I MAIN?!?!?!?!

p.s.: alotho at this point i feel MK is the best character in the game , i really dont want to use him; like with peach in melee i want to use a character that nobody thinks is good. The problem with peach is that nobody thinks shes good; because she IS'NT. Soooooo, again....... WHO SHOULD I MAIN?!?!?

DOH, you used to main peach, who did you switch to?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Good advice: pick a character you like and get good with it. Stop second guessing yourself so much. It's beginning to legitimately bother me that people are giving characters credit and not the players behind the character.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
OH and slacker, your Chain-throws are hella Kick-***! dont fell guilty for ****** some random noob with you supieror kickass-ery. Much luv to IC.
yaayuhhzz that's what's up

I'd like to say that my chaingrabbing has gone to a 9.5/10; .5 off because a) Nana trips and b) different weights. I get used to weight difference about 2 matches in though (sometimes too late), so after that it's 0%-death all day.

I won't be going to gigapoot most likely (still a slim chance), but I WILL be going to the blockbuster one. WHO IS ALL GOING? That way I can get 2/3 friendlies with them.

Cool kids I want to play:
bwett (of course)
infi
blu
bulezap if he finishes his essay
Zac (is he coming?)
jeremy, etc.

There are tons more like KG, a rematch with Wobbz, and DoH but I am not sure if they will attend

bluezaft

The True Zaft
p.s.: alotho at this point i feel MK is the best character in the game , i really dont want to use him; like with peach in melee i want to use a character that nobody thinks is good. The problem with peach is that nobody thinks shes good; because she IS'NT. Soooooo, again....... WHO SHOULD I MAIN?!?!?
Metaknight, Snake, and Game&Watch win tournaments.

Infinity: Advice that basically comes down "you need to be a skilled player" isn't helpful. People can't change their skill. Players have only two variables at their disposal: character choice and effort. X amount of effort used practicing a good character, like the 3 I mentioned, will go a lot further than the same amount of effort in a worse character. Assuming he's going to use the same amount of effort regardless, why not point him in the direction of the top tiers, since winning is high on his priorities?

If your favorite character were Jigglypuff instead of Metaknight I bet you'd understand why people would want to switch to a better character.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Infinity: Advice that basically comes down "you need to be a skilled player" isn't helpful. People can't change their skill. Players have only two variables at their disposal: character choice and effort. X amount of effort used practicing a good character, like the 3 I mentioned, will go a lot further than the same amount of effort in a worse character. Assuming he's going to use the same amount of effort regardless, why not point him in the direction of the top tiers, since winning is high on his priorities?

If your favorite character were Jigglypuff instead of Metaknight I bet you'd understand why people would want to switch to a better character.
What you're saying and what I'm saying are coming from two different fundamentals about gaming in general: if two people are on equal footing in terms of play skill then tiers clearly exist; if two people have a significant gap in play skill then tiers are much more blurred (this is abundantly evident in card games like Magic where even luck is a factor). I'm not saying tiers don't exist, just that I believe the player is the stronger guiding force behind competitive play. After all, it's seeing someone play well with a character that makes people believe that character is top tiered.

I believe the player is more significant initially when playing a game. Once the player is on the same level as every other player then mastering the tier system of the game should become the next focus. To further support this, think about it this way: you would stomp me in a Marth ditto on Melee. I know the ins-and-outs of the game, how to apply most of the technical skills and I know Marth very well. In spite of all of this you know the game better, know the character better and apply the techniques better than I do. This makes you the better player and you will beat me on a pretty ridiculously consistent basis on Melee. On the other hand I feel that I have the advantage in Brawl not due to the tier of my character but due to the focus I have placed on the character and my knowledge of it's abilities, weaknesses and strategies. (Spot dodge down smash much?)

Yes, I agree that Metaknight is a top tiered character in this game but to me it's borderline insulting when someone points at the character I use rather than the effort I have put into mastering the character as the reason I am winning. I'm fully confident that anyone on or near my skill level could figure out a way to beat my character with a "lower tiered" character (hi Slacker, hi Wobbles, and hi to the guy from Gamebattles that has beaten me twice in a row with Wario) in spite of some of my best efforts.

BluMilk, choose a character you believe is good and that you like to play with. Master your skills, knowledge and strategies with that character and then branch outward from there. If you want to play as Peach then you should start adapting around her nerfed DownSmash and instead use her significantly improved SideB, NeutralB and TiltUp attacks. If you want to use Zelda then use Sheik to rack up the damage and then use Zelda to land the kill. Sheik's combo capabilities are still quite high in spite of being Captain of the Nerf Brigade and you can use her tilts and darts to get their damage high; once they are above a proven killable percentage then knock them away and change to Zelda, then run in with an UpSmash and you will be able to kill with a high rate of success. If you want any advice on other characters then I recommend visiting that character's individual forum, but your highest priority right now should be choosing a character you want to win with.

Anything else?

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Your argument has nothing to do with what anyone has said.

This is the second time someone has asked in this thread for character suggestions and this is the second time you've responded with "play who you want." This is just unhelpful and pointless, they're obviously asking this because they want to try a different, better character. There's absolutely no reason in the world why someone can't play both his favorite character and a top tier character. So I'm led to believe the only reason you're saying it is for an excuse to go off on a "skill is more important than character" rant.

I can understand if you're sick of people calling MK broken, but good lord, you just typed 3 long paragraphs of rant that literally had nothing to do with anything that was said. If you want to start a debate about skill vs. character, make a thread for it in the Brawl section.

By the way, I'm one of those people maining a less-than-good character just because I like him. The only reason I'm doing this is because I practically never play Brawl and couldn't care less about playing competitively (I go to Brawl tournaments because tournaments are super-fun, to clear that up. I don't actually try to get good for them). Rest assured, if I wanted to win I would not be maining effing Pikachu. If someone wants to both win AND play a bad character he has to have amazing dedication to the game. Not everyone cares that much and I think you should be demanding that kind of devotion from everyone.

Perhaps the best advice for someone asking for character suggestions would be "well, _____, ______, and _____ **** and will serve you well in tournaments, but don't forget that it's a game and you should not neglect to have fun with your favorite character too." Agreed?

KuroYami

Smash Apprentice
wow i really have to say, melee was an awsome game. but now its time to move on with new generation game. its like trying to play old school music in a club. yes it was good, but thats the point, it was good/not anymore/gone. so people try to keep up with the times.

oh and i still have the best link in dallas. and im talking about brawl.

kg: give j-roc your friend code so i can play you a few times.

Melee1

Smash Journeyman
Melee was fun game, in the past! Just like Uman said, Brawl is a new generation game. In brawl there are new skills to learn and plenty of tactics to beat campers and spammers, its the new game that makes room for advancement.

Gigi

Smash Cadet
@Melee1 ~ Why did you make a new account named Melee1 if you are gonna be jumping on the brawl wagon. Brawl1. Do it! Oh and new skills/techniques to beat campers/spammers as far as I have seen is just out camping/spamming or are limited to certain character. Standing still is too strong for it to be decent 1v1 game.

@Uman ~ Melee wasn't good for it's time. It's good PERIOD. Release date means nothing. And I don't think a decent track has ever been made with the intention for club play.

@Infinity ~ I think player skill is blurred when the character is so good. Playing a good character limits your skill because everything is easier. Priority, speed, recovery, disjointed hit boxes. It's like trying to get credit for playing on easy mode.

EDIT: This is pTB btw.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
**** BluZaft have you ever been in a debate club at school because i think you just litteraly KILLED infinity with words. Very well said.

Infinity: MK is Top-tier but that doesnt mean it doesnt take skill to use him.

Yes, I agree that Metaknight is a top tiered character in this game but to me it's borderline insulting when someone points at the character I use rather than the effort I have put into mastering the character as the reason I am winning. I'm fully confident that anyone on or near my skill level could figure out a way to beat my character with a "lower tiered" character (hi Slacker, hi Wobbles, and hi to the guy from Gamebattles that has beaten me twice in a row with Wario) in spite of some of my best efforts.
Peoples playstyles are so similar right now that individuual players wont out shine their characters for quite some time.

BluMilk, choose a character you believe is good and that you like to play with. Master your skills, knowledge and strategies with that character and then branch outward from there. If you want to play as Peach then you should start adapting around her nerfed DownSmash and instead use her significantly improved SideB, NeutralB and TiltUp attacks. If you want to use Zelda then use Sheik to rack up the damage and then use Zelda to land the kill. Sheik's combo capabilities are still quite high in spite of being Captain of the Nerf Brigade and you can use her tilts and darts to get their damage high; once they are above a proven killable percentage then knock them away and change to Zelda, then run in with an UpSmash and you will be able to kill with a high rate of success. If you want any advice on other characters then I recommend visiting that character's individual forum, but your highest priority right now should be choosing a character you want to win with.
Dude no offence but i Know how to use characters that i main, because I MAIN THEM. You think i should go check out individual character forums? Really?!?!? I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT! Great advise Sherlock Holmes. lol
:chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle:
(ps: dont get mad at me infinity, i think your a kick-*** person and i look forward to getting ***** by your MK again; but you have to adimt...you were kinda asking for it)

Anywayz im still debating between:

Zelda/Sheik: I love zelda but i hate shiek and just using one is nowhere near as effective as using them both. Another problem is that since Sheik is the Damage dealer and Zelda the KO artist, i end up using alot more sheik then zelda. In fact i usualy only use 1-2 moves for zelda and then my opponet is dead and i have to change back to sheik:urg:

Donkey Kong: I love his power and he has alot of nice/awsome tricks like his SA Neutral B and Cargo B-throw stage spike(FTW!!! This is the coolest way to kill someone especialy in a tourny. Whenever i pull this move off i laugh uncontrollably:chuckle:) My problem with him is that hes just SOOOOOOO bad against both MK and G&W mostly because they can poke though his shield so easy. DK's sheild needs to be twice the size it is now to cover his whole body:(

Peach: My favorite Nintendo character period. My Problem: SHE SUCKS SO BAD. Low Tier FTL. Curse you Sakuri:mad:

Olimar: Ive recently found love for Oli mostly because of his SAF on his DownB. But i jsut feel so gay using him since he probly takes the least amount of skill to use (no offence olimar mainers)...(no offence DoH)

G&W: He's just too good; My problem is that i hate using a character just because there good and altho ive played numerous Game and Watch Gallery games im just not a fan of the character.

So there.

Help please.

Gigi

Smash Cadet
BRING DRINKS! BRING TVs! BRING SETUPS!

3900 Coronado Dr.
Plano, TX 75074

(214) 801-1408
<poot

COME NOW OR DIE!!!

Is anyone coming just for Brawl? Let it be known so you could get over here now and we can start in 1.5 hours or so.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Your argument has nothing to do with what anyone has said.
Yes it does, I was replying to what you said.

Infinity: MK is Top-tier but that doesnt mean it doesnt take skill to use him.
Thank you for outright insulting me.

BluMilk said:
Dude no offence but i Know how to use characters that i main, because I MAIN THEM. You think i should go check out individual character forums? Really?!?!? I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT! Great advise Sherlock Holmes. lol
:chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle::laugh::chuckle:
(ps: dont get mad at me infinity, i think your a kick-*** person and i look forward to getting ***** by your MK again; but you have to adimt...you were kinda asking for it)
...Again. Thank you for the compliment afterwards. How did I ask for it? I was posting genuine advice to you regarding characters I've heard/seen you talk about and you spit it back in my face by telling me you already know how to play the characters. So wait, you want advice but you don't want to take it, is that correct? I was trying to help you get better, but it's clearly not worth the effort if you're going to insult me and degrade me for it. Good luck in the future.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
????
How does saying it takes skill to use MK insulting you.

oh and on the second part i ment to come off as sarcastic about you telling me to go to the character forums. I thought it would be obvious that ive already done that.

How did I ask for it? I was posting genuine advice to you regarding characters I've heard/seen you talk about and you spit it back in my face by telling me you already know how to play the characters. So wait, you want advice but you don't want to take it, is that correct?
Umm i didnt ask for advise on how to play my characters, because i know how to play them. I just asked for input on who i should main, input i still havent recieved.

So anyway dont get upset Infinity, i didnt insult you, unless you count me calling you Sherlock Holmes as a insult, in which case i apologise. We cool?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Internet used Argument!
Wobbles evaded Internet's attack!
Wobbles used Topic Change!
It's Super Effective!

So is anybody able to give me a ride to this Blockbuster tournament? I'm in town and able to go and want to attend.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
so im on my to gigipoot, i reached coronado dr. and my car decides to give up and screw me over on coronado dr. So i had to call my friend to pick me up and drive me back home. So if u see a honda accord like 2 feet away from a sidewalk, that'd be mine. Man i was looking forward to seeing how my wolf matched up against you guys. Oh well maybe next time.

KuroYami

Smash Apprentice
uman! is that really you? or is it rok again?
And **** moving on.
yes im back and on the scene. it sucks though, i mean trying to find a wii these days is like trying to find osama binladin. its imposible. mabye if i hire the cia they might get lucky.:laugh:

Celia/Chrono

Smash Rookie
*cough*

Hey, finally got around to making a profile.

Infinity, for the last time, it's spelled with a K not a C. lol :)

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
????
How does saying it takes skill to use MK insulting you.

oh and on the second part i ment to come off as sarcastic about you telling me to go to the character forums. I thought it would be obvious that ive already done that.

Umm i didnt ask for advise on how to play my characters, because i know how to play them. I just asked for input on who i should main, input i still havent recieved.

So anyway dont get upset Infinity, i didnt insult you, unless you count me calling you Sherlock Holmes as a insult, in which case i apologise. We cool?
Yeah I read the first part wrong, that was my fault. I guess that's what I get for reading it when I first wake up. Definitely not a morning person.

Who should you play as? Peach or Zelda, you seem to like them and they're perfectly fine characters. Who should you play as outside of them? <shrug> If you're looking for someone a little off the mainstream then try out Lucario.

*cough*

Hey, finally got around to making a profile.

Infinity, for the last time, it's spelled with a K not a C. lol :)
o.O For serious? Totally did not know that. Are any of you coming on Sunday?

Bwett

Smash Ace
Internet used Argument!
Wobbles evaded Internet's attack!
Wobbles used Topic Change!
It's Super Effective!

So is anybody able to give me a ride to this Blockbuster tournament? I'm in town and able to go and want to attend.
If you need a ride, I can pick you up. Just give me a call 979-216-7010. I think we should be leaving around 11:30, maybe alittle later.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Thanks Poot for running the tournament and Gigi for the house and delicious queso and ice cream. I got to play lots of Melee and I had a great time.

Brave/Poot/Hare all got wayyyyy better at Melee. Jared and James' Falcos are especially scary. See, people? This is what Brawl can do for you!

I probably won't be able to go to the tourney today since I didn't get any paper written yesterday.

Weekly Melee/Brawl smashfests to be announced soon. Is Friday a good day for everyone?

Rob...how are you still in town? You lied to me.

Yes it does, I was replying to what you said.

The only reason I went off on that rant was because of your reply to me, actually. The first 3 paragraphs of what I said were directed at you, not anyone else. You'll even notice I went into advice on characters at the end.
Okay. Here's what happened.

1) Blumilk asks for character suggestions
2) You say Blumilk shouldn't change characters. Skill is more important that characters.
3) I say that's not really an appropriate response since skill isn't the issue here, he just wants to know which characters are good
4) response: SKILL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN CHARACTERS!!!!

So. You didn't really respond to me, just sort of went off on what you were predisposed to rant about. If you still don't see why, maybe I just suck at explaining it. But it's a pretty big clue that the guy you're supposed to be giving advice to is saying you're missing the point.

See, I don't care about your skill vs. character opinions. I'm trying to tell you that making that argument is not appropriate when someone is just asking for friendly advice on a good character to main, since obviously that person isn't dedicated to playing his current character.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Infinity if you really still believe that stuff talk to Richard (Kirby Kid). He will explain to you why character does matter independent of skill. He knows allllll about that. Not because he's bad at melee but because no matter how good he was he couldn't make up for Kirby's faults when it came to playing higher tier characters......

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Well... if *I* had to input on who you should main, then my advice is as follows.

1) Try picking up one of the current high tiers: Meta-Knight, GaW, Toon Link, Snake, ROB, or Falco. I'm not a super tier-expert, but they seem to be champs.

2) You really should stick with characters you like in addition to high-tiers. The game is meant to be enjoyed, and (IMO) the best way to do that is with character diversity. Even though I'm devoted to my MK, I also branch out a bit simply because the game is more fun for me that way. That's why I currently play MK, Wario, Sheik/Zelda, and I'm trying to learn a bit about everybody else along the way.

3) Wario. He is fun as hell. God****.

If you want my more in-depth take on the issue, go here: http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/45&page=0,4

I wrote this out quite some time ago, but I still believe it to be relevant.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Gigi and poot, thanks for the house and the tournament. Definitely was one of my favorites. I'm glad I came. Great games with everyone I played. Ice, your snake is getting alittle scary lol. It's probably the best one I've ever played so far if that counts for anything :p.

Slacker, you better be on your game today. Also, I played Melee1 who mains IC either that or he just picks him alot lol). I think you might have some competition for best IC. He certainly doesn't have the chain grab ability down but he probably will soon.

Wobbles, you haven't told me whether you want that ride. I'm gonna end up calling you here in an hour or so to see so I hope you are up lol.

Btw, Fogo for King :p

tac0

Smash Journeyman
WUT? MELEE? **** YEAH I WANNA PLAY.
Only able to do so until 5 or so though.
;___;

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Slacker, you better be on your game today.

Awwwww yeah! I was more than on my game today. This tourney was soooo much fun friendlies wise.

Annnnd I'm pretty sure I'll be holding the "Best ICs in Dallas" title for a loooong time, ONLY because of my match against that Sheik player and my amazing comeback on Kirbykid on Shadow Moses LOL. God this tourney was amazing.

P.S. I am 100% sure if I did not suicide on my first match with Kirbykid, the tournament would've have been completely different. Agggh. But still, Kirbykid too good!!!

P.P.S. upload that vid ASAP I want it on my friend's iPod to watch it everyday

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Slacker we need to play 1v1! Then maybe after that you could help me with CG.
Both ICs? Maaaan I hate IC dittos; they are so boring. I wish they were fun like Ike dittos LOL. Capote vs bwett ftw. But whenever we get the chance, let's go for it. Hopefully we can get a chance to play offline and won't have to stick to Wifi. . .

Noobits

Smash Rookie
Annnnd I'm pretty sure I'll be holding the "Best ICs in Dallas" title for a loooong time, ONLY because of my match against that Sheik player and my amazing comeback on Kirbykid on Shadow Moses LOL. God this tourney was amazing.
I was the Sheik :(. And the Lucas against Bwett.

Looking to not get destroyed next tourney does anyone meet for practice or anything? PM me if so cause yeah, looking to get tourney caliber.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
and my amazing comeback on Kirbykid on Shadow Moses LOL. God this tourney was amazing.
That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen you do dude. Like seriously, that last part where you were juggling him on the ice blocks that were bouncing on the wall, then into your grab and then into an upsmash for the win was freaking pro dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom